GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 129 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,815
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,300
Posts1,058,171
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 91 of 91 1 2 89 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1087573
04/11/24 09:43 PM
04/11/24 09:43 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
CIVIL WAR

America's at war with itself, the union against the Western Forces (made up of Texas and California). The reasoning for this highly unlikely alliance is to not single out any one party as well as show what we're capable of once we put our differences aside. The story follows 4 journalists: Lee (Kirsten Dunst), Joel (Wagner Moura), Jessie (Cailee Spaeny), and Sammy (Stephen McKinley Henderson) on their way to Washington D.C. (well, technically 3 as Sammy is only hitching a ride on his way to Charlottesville to see the fighting on the front lines). Joel wants to interview the President upon his arrival while Lee is a seasoned wartime photographer who takes young Jessie under her wing as Lee is someone whom he looks up to and aspires to be. Surprisingly, I was a little bored with the film. Jessie's character arc held my interest the most, followed by Lee, who was the team leader throughout. Some scenes are built for shock value which had very little effect on me. I'll again give the film credit as while it's dealing with a sensitive issue during these overly sensitive times, it doesn't take sides. The story focuses on us as Americans, not which party we affiliate with, which is effective in that regard as we're obviously stronger together than divided. 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1088160
04/18/24 02:15 PM
04/18/24 02:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
JOHNNY GUITAR (1954)

Leonard Maltin calls this "the kinky Western" and he's not wrong. Tough cookie Vienna (Joan Crawford) runs a saloon/gambling den on the outskirts of a town that's about to get a railroad station that'll bring her lots of business. She hires Johnny Guitar (Sterling Hayden), a former lover and a retired gunslinger, to entertain. But the local cattle baron, McIver (Ward Bond) shows up with the sheriff and a mob, demanding that she clear out in 24 hours. Vienna backs them off with her trusty six-shooter, but hell-in-skirts Emma (Mercedes McCambridge) puts the spine back in the mob--seems she and Vienna once were rivals for the Dancin' Kid (Scott Brady), leader of a desperado gang. All leads to a war, a fire, plenty of shooting, and a showdown between the two women, who are a sight to behold--they make the men look like wimps. Crawford is excellent--strangely decked out in black shirt and pants, but with those flashing eyes and perfect diction. McCambridge is a tornado of energetic hate (she and Crawford had a real feud on the set). Hayden is subtly restrained and humorous. Cast includes John Carradine and Ernest Borgnine, and a pack of familiar Western faces. Director Nicholas Ray brings all this bizarre stuff together in the first feminist Western. Fascinating.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1088281
04/19/24 07:14 PM
04/19/24 07:14 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE

Based upon the true story of the first, and what later became known as Black Ops missions, a group of 7 (primarily British with a Swed added) attempt to sink Nazi U-boats in Nazi controlled waters in an effort to allow resources to enter Great Britain via the Atlantic Ocean. Henry Cavill stars as the teams leader Gus March-Phillips, who rumor has it was an inspiration for the James Bond character that Ian Fleming would write soon after (Fleming is actually a real character is this film BTW). Cavill comes across as much more looney and unhinged in the trailer but those are only passing moments throughout the film. He's much more polished than what's advertised. And while I have nothing against the cast as they were all enjoyable, I am going to call out both the casting director as well as director Guy Ritchie. This film is based on true events and pictures of the real life people whom these actors are playing are featured during the closing credits. As such, I find it to be a great disservice to them, their memory, and their families that some have been DEI-washed in order to gain brownie points within a small sector of society. If this story wasn't based on real events I wouldn't have such an issue with it. But again, for the fact it's based upon real people and their real experiences, it's shameful. If the shoe were on the other foot where white actors were taking minority roles, people would be yelling "whitewashing." Well, allow me to hold them to the same standard. I like Guy Ritchie and even though some of his latest efforts have been a little more uneven in terms of quality (this being boringly average), he should have known better and done a better job at preserving the memory of these individuals who risked capture by the British and torture and death by the Nazis. Be better Guy Ritchie! 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1088370
04/20/24 09:38 PM
04/20/24 09:38 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL

Halloween Night, 1977, New York City: late night host Jack Delroy (David Dastmalchian) invites a sordid group of guests onto the show in order to boost his sinking ratings. The featured guests are a psychic, a skeptical former magician, a parapsychologist author and her subject. The film plays out as an unearthed, original recording of the show, with the commercial breaks taking the audience backstage to see what transpired during breaks. I was rather impressed with Dastmalchian as he's usually a supporting actor but really finds his stride as the likeable host who's doing battle with Johnny Carson for viewership. In addition, he's recently experienced tragedy himself, having lost his wife and this show seems to be the last thing keeping him going. I hope he continues to find leading work as again, he's impressive in this. Also, this was my first introduction to Carmichael Haig who hams it up as the skeptical former magician, critiquing all of the guests gifts as nothing more than mere parlor tricks, the consummate cynic. He's enjoyable with his over-the-top, know-it-all attitude. I had heard good things about this and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I've never liked anything put out by Shudder but this is easily the best they've released IMO. 6.5/10

Page 91 of 91 1 2 89 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull