GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (furio_from_naples, 1 invisible), 102 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,703
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,726
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How'd Michael know it was Roth? #996536
09/04/20 03:10 PM
09/04/20 03:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
What led Michael to conclude, very soon after the Tahoe shooting, that Roth was behind it?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #996542
09/04/20 05:23 PM
09/04/20 05:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by Turnbull
What led Michael to conclude, very soon after the Tahoe shooting, that Roth was behind it?

FFC told Michael: "If Roth wasn't behind it, then I have to rewrite the whole screenplay."

However, more seriously, who else? Who were Michael's enemies? None that we know of except Roth. No mention of the Commission or any other Dons. However, it is curious that a non-Mafioso like Roth thinks he can murder a Mafioso (and a Don none the least)
without Commission support.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #996575
09/05/20 09:00 AM
09/05/20 09:00 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
What the audience sees is largely just one side of a chess match. I think that until deep into the movie, the Ola-Fredo phone call is the only thing that overtly shows who is on the other side.* I think that all we're left with is that Michael is reading the people around him and has decided on Roth because of the audacity of the attempt, and also because Roth has just made a friendly concession to Michael.

*There's also the bizarre presence of the Senate lawyer with Roth in Havana.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #996646
09/07/20 12:06 AM
09/07/20 12:06 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
My take, Michael finally twigging during his train ride as to why Roth from Miami was openly backing the Rosatos, the Corleone rivals in New York against the Corleone people, in effect against Michael “led Michael to conclude, very soon after the Tahoe shooting, that Roth was behind it”
Originally Posted by mustachepete
I think that all we're left with is that Michael is reading the people around him and has decided on Roth because of the audacity of the attempt, and also because Roth has just made a friendly concession to Michael
I am not sure Pete how “Roth [having] just made a friendly concession [presumably moving Klingman out] to Michael” make Michael decide Roth was behind the Tahoe shooting? Wouldn't the “concession” sway the suspicions away from Roth?

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #996647
09/07/20 12:09 AM
09/07/20 12:09 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

FFC told him.

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: olivant] #996648
09/07/20 02:46 AM
09/07/20 02:46 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
"Eyes on the prize":

Roth set it up to have the finger of suspicion point at Pentangeli. But, Michael would have asked himself, "What was in it for Frankie?" Pentangeli, by his own admission, did not have Michael's "head for the big deals." He had no eyes on Michael's gambling interests in Nevada, nor on Roth's in Havana. Despite referring to the "olive oil business" as "my family," Pentangeli was subordinate enough to Michael to come to Nevada to ask Michael's permission to whack the Rosatos. Michael would have thought that his "no" was not enough motivation for Frankie to risk everything, and become a hunted man, by killing Michael. If he wanted to defy Michael, he could have killed the Rosatos anyway--risky, but a lot less than killing Michael in Nevada. More proof: Pentangeli didn't run or hide after the shooting, and agreed with Michael's request that he "settle these differences with the Rosato brothers."

Conversely, Michael saw very soon that Roth's prize was to hold onto his Havana empire and, over time, take over the Corleones' Nevada properties through his hold on Fredo and the almost certain chaos that would follow Michael's death and the struggle for succession. As Michael said to Fredo in Havana, "He thinks he's going to live forever."

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #996651
09/07/20 07:09 AM
09/07/20 07:09 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
when do you think he twigged that Roth was behind it? was it during his train ride or Pentangeli didn't run or hide after the shooting

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Capri] #996654
09/07/20 12:57 PM
09/07/20 12:57 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted by Capri
when do you think he twigged that Roth was behind it? was it during his train ride or Pentangeli didn't run or hide after the shooting

I'm guessing that Michael knew immediately after the shooting that he had to leave the Tahoe estate at once. Reason: he would have figured out that he, not Kay, was the target; but the man behind the shooting was ruthless enough to not care if Kay or even their kids were "collateral damage." He also knew, right away, that there had to be a traitor close to him who helped set it up. As long as the traitor and/or perpetrator were at large, and as long as he remained at the estate, his family was at risk.

So, I'm guessing, he zeroed in on Roth during the train ride. He called on Pentangeli, I'm guessing, to put him to a final test--asking him to stick his head in the lion's mouth by meeting with the Rosatos. Once Frankie agreed, Michael was convinced it wasn't Frankie--it was Roth.

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #996842
09/13/20 12:32 AM
09/13/20 12:32 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
My take, for what it is worth!

Roth undoubtedly wanted Michael dead soonest but blinded by revenge, Roth outsmarted himself with the Tahoe shooting plan and messed up big time!
Conversely, Michael saw very soon that Roth's prize was to hold onto his Havana empire and, over time, take over the Corleones' Nevada properties through his hold on Fredo and the almost certain chaos that would follow Michael's death and the struggle for succession. As Michael said to Fredo in Havana, "He thinks he's going to live forever."
I believe Michael understood that whilst Michael was Roth's successor, the heir apparent, Roth was always going “to hold onto his Havana empire” until Roth's retirement or death and at the time, Michael would inherit Roth's interests in the Havana operation

Hence
Anybody kinda rooting for Roth to beat Mike?
On the other hand, Michael, who could have used violence or murder against Roth, didn't--he was negotiating for the Havana properties

I doubt Roth would want “his hold on Fredo” to get around, incriminating Roth in the process
Besides Fredo would have been totally in the dark about “the Corleones' Nevada properties” and a liability even if Roth wanted to “over time, take over”

I now believe Roth was not a greedy man, for the Corleones' Nevada properties nor the $2 million but of course if they fell into Roth's lap, Roth will take it Bonus!

Michael was disgusted with himself how he hadn't seen through Roth's deceit including Roth's blessing! for Michael moving Klingman out and taking over their hotel - Roth “acts like I'm his son -- his successor -- but he thinks he's gonna live forever and he wants me out”
So, I'm guessing, he zeroed in on Roth during the train ride. He called on Pentangeli, I'm guessing, to put him to a final test--asking him to stick his head in the lion's mouth by meeting with the Rosatos. Once Frankie agreed, Michael was convinced it wasn't Frankie--it was Roth
I acknowledge it is guessing scenario however I believe Frankie was never a contender that Michael never thought Frankie had anything to do with the Tahoe shooting

I believe, the reason Michael sent Frankie to the Rosatos' meeting was to continue to appease and string Roth along including Michael had not twigged, it was Roth all along and also to find out the traitor in the family not “to put him [Frankie] to a final test” nor Michael needed to be “convinced it wasn't Frankie”

Sure thing Turnbull Michael initially believed it was someone inside, telling Tom “They [Tahoe assassins] are dead already, killed by somebody close to us – inside” it seems neither Pentangeli nor Roth were even suspected?

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Lana] #996895
09/14/20 02:29 PM
09/14/20 02:29 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted by Lana

Michael was disgusted with himself how he hadn't seen through Roth's deceit including Roth's blessing!

You see this in the Havana scene where he and Fredo are having their drinks. He tells Fredo that he'll be assassinated before he reaches his hotel. Fredo says, "Who?" Michael says, "Roth," and he says it with disgust--IMO, not only for the idea that he'd be assassinated but also because he'd fallen for Roth's line of BS until the shooting.

I believe, the reason Michael sent Frankie to the Rosatos' meeting was to continue to appease and string Roth along including Michael had not twigged, it was Roth all along and also to find out the traitor in the family not “to put him [Frankie] to a final test” nor Michael needed to be “convinced it wasn't Frankie”

Hardly. The last thing Michael said to Roth in Miami was, "Frank Pentangeli is a dead man--you don't object?" But, instead of having Frankie killed, he instructs him to have the meeting with the Rosato brothers. Roth should have been alarmed by that because it signaled that Michael didn't suspect Frankie in the shooting after all--meaning that he must be suspecting someone else. Also, Roth should have been suspicious that Michael asked if Roth would object to his having Frankie killed--why would Don Michael ask Roth's permission to kill a subordinate who,supposedly, was responsible for the Tahoe shooting? It was as bad as Michael failing to question why Roth interested himself in the Rosatos' beef with Frankie over three territories in the Bronx. Roth was slippin'...

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #996919
09/15/20 12:02 AM
09/15/20 12:02 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Michael and Roth said a lot of sweet nothings! and flattering each other, in Roth's house

Michael told Roth “I'll visit him [Pentangeli] soon
Why would Don Michael visit his “subordinate who, supposedly, was responsible for the Tahoe shooting?”
Pentangeli is a dead man “subordinate“ who tried to have his Don killed

My take, Michael's "Frank Pentangeli is a dead man--you don't object?" to Roth was more of a statement than question [ie: Michael was not “asking” for “Roth's permission”] in keeping with the continuation of their charade

Michael: "I want you to know about it [there is gonna be more blood shed] before it happens so that there's no danger of starting another war"
Roth: "Nobody wants another war"

I doubt even if Roth was “alarmed” that Michael “instead of having Frankie killed, he instructs him to have the meeting with the Rosato brothers” which “signalled” Michael “didn't suspect Frankie in the shooting after all--meaning that he must be suspecting someone else” [not Roth!] it would have mattered or bothered Roth because according to Roth, Michael was not coming back alive from Havana

I believe, Roth was not fooled by Michael's sweet nothings! either

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997005
09/17/20 09:20 PM
09/17/20 09:20 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss

Hardly. The last thing Michael said to Roth in Miami was, "Frank Pentangeli is a dead man--you don't object?" But, instead of having Frankie killed, he instructs him to have the meeting with the Rosato brothers. Roth should have been alarmed by that because it signaled that Michael didn't suspect Frankie in the shooting after all--meaning that he must be suspecting someone else. Also, Roth should have been suspicious that Michael asked if Roth would object to his having Frankie killed--why would Don Michael ask Roth's permission to kill a subordinate who,supposedly, was responsible for the Tahoe shooting? It was as bad as Michael failing to question why Roth interested himself in the Rosatos' beef with Frankie over three territories in the Bronx. Roth was slippin'...

My take, Michael's "Frank Pentangeli is a dead man--you don't object?" to Roth was more of a statement than question [ie: Michael was not “asking” for “Roth's permission”] in keeping with the continuation of their charade

I tend to agree Michael was not “asking” for “Roth's permission” it was statement than question Then Pentangeli is a dead man, you don't object.

The only inside contenders are Neri or Rocco
Roth was slippin'...with the Tahoe shooting and Pentangeli as the fall guy

I reckon at Roth's house, it was still the old and sick great man teaching the wise and considerate young man the important things charade If Michael twigged that Roth was behind it during his train ride, when did Roth twig he had figured it was him?

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997038
09/18/20 10:54 PM
09/18/20 10:54 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As we often do in these forums, I will stray from the forum's subject as I did in my post above

How plausible is it that a non-mafioso like Roth would come to order the murder of a mafioso, especially a Don. As I posted above, there's no reference to Roth's attempted hit on Michael being sanctioned by the Commission or, for that matter, any other mafioso. Are we to believe that Ola was the only sanction necessary? If Ola was really Joey Alo, it should be noted that Alo was only a capo in the Genovese family. Perhaps we could assume that Genovese (or his fictional equivalent) sanctioned the hit. I don't. Certainly, Roth could have allied himself with one or more of the families with the intention of eliminating Michael and then splitting up the Corleone spoils among Roth and his mafiosi confederates. However, for Roth to simply strike out on his own would be suicidal. It all just seems so implausible.

Of course, Michael eliminated the other Dons a few years earlier, right? Do their families still exist? If so, who heads them? Are those families subordinate to the Corleones? Madonne!

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997040
09/19/20 12:20 AM
09/19/20 12:20 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
The first conclusive signs, we the audience notice that all is not well in Michael and Roth's friendship was when Michael and Roth gave [Kay's] that look at each, across the table when the Gold phone was being passed around but both Michael and Roth continued playing their cat and mouse games, each believing the other will never see the New Year

Michael's “Who had Frank Pentangeli killed?” set Roth off on his soliloquy
Roth was livid, Michael asking who gave the order for 'dead' Pentangeli because it had nothing to do with business same as Roth let someone putting a bullet through his loved and trusted, Moe Greene's eye go

However Roth's parting words to Michael, like their relationship is still good
That two million in a bag in you room. I'm going in to take a nap when I wake, if the money's on the table, I'll know I have a partner if it's not, I'll know I don't
Whilst Michael and Roth's friendship may have soured! their business relationship is still good?!

I am wondering whether Roth ever twigged that Michael had twigged it was Roth all along who set up the Tahoe shooting
If Roth did so at all when? What gave it away?

• ”Pentangeli didn't run or hide after the shooting”
  • Michael didn't have Pentangeli killed
  • Pentangeli went to have the meeting with the Rosatos
  • Roth probably presumed Pentangeli was handing over the three 'promised' territories in the Bronx to the Rosatos in accordance with Roth's wishes!
  • Pentangeli and Rosatos meeting “signalled” to Roth that Michael “didn't suspect Frankie in the shooting after all--meaning that he must be suspecting someone else”
  • So whom did Roth think was that someone else? seemingly not Roth!

Roth and Ola didn't even suspect, there is no indication that they had figured they will never see the New Year
Otherwise Roth and Ola would not have been so slack considering how Michael's bodyguard, Bussetta was able to just walk into Ola's hotel room and killed him

If not for Roth's stroke, Bussetta would have probably murdered Roth in Roth's hotel room
If not for the Cuban Military Police, Bussetta would have been able to murder Roth, in the hospital

Roth came back to America to vote! not a concern that Roth could be murdered by Michael

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997147
09/22/20 09:07 AM
09/22/20 09:07 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
So, what's your answer gonna be, Turnbull?

Did Roth ever twigged? Looks not

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Capri] #997160
09/22/20 11:32 PM
09/22/20 11:32 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Part of the greatness of that last scene in Roth's hotel room is that, by that time, both of them were onto each other--and each knew that the other knew. Michael already knew when and how Roth planned to have him killed (as he told Fredo). And, I'm guessing that, when Michael sent Pentangeli to meet with the Rosatos instead of having him killed (as he told Roth in Miami), Roth had to have been thinking that Michael didn't suspect Frankie in the Tahoe shooting--meaning that he might suspect Roth. Roth's suspicions had to have been fanned when Michael didn't bring the $2M to Cuba, and when Fredo did, he didn't turn it over. I think the final straw was when Roth demanded the money and Michael replied, "I just wanna wait."

But, never underestimate the power of greed to trigger self-deception: Even if Roth had concluded that Michael thought he was behind the Tahoe shooting, he still held out for that $2 million. The clincher: After Michael asked, "Who had Frank Pentangeli killed?" and asked "Who gave the order?" Roth replied with the Moe Green story and emphasized that he "let it go because it had nothing to do with business!" He was telling Michael to let the failed Tahoe shooting go because it had nothing to do with the business they were transacting right then in Havana--desperately trying to buy time to get the $2M and then have him whacked after midnight. And Michael, who could have had Buscetta whack Roth and Ola right there, was desperately buying time down to the last minute to see if he could find out who was the traitor in his family.

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997161
09/23/20 12:51 AM
09/23/20 12:51 AM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Part of the greatness of that last scene in Roth's hotel room is that, by that time, both of them were onto each other--and each knew that the other knew. Michael already knew when and how Roth planned to have him killed (as he told Fredo). And, I'm guessing that, when Michael sent Pentangeli to meet with the Rosatos instead of having him killed (as he told Roth in Miami), Roth had to have been thinking that Michael didn't suspect Frankie in the Tahoe shooting--meaning that he might suspect Roth. Roth's suspicions had to have been fanned when Michael didn't bring the $2M to Cuba, and when Fredo did, he didn't turn it over. I think the final straw was when Roth demanded the money and Michael replied, "I just wanna wait."

But, never underestimate the power of greed to trigger self-deception: Even if Roth had concluded that Michael thought he was behind the Tahoe shooting, he still held out for that $2 million. The clincher: After Michael asked, "Who had Frank Pentangeli killed?" and asked "Who gave the order?" Roth replied with the Moe Green story and emphasized that he "let it go because it had nothing to do with business!" He was telling Michael to let the failed Tahoe shooting go because it had nothing to do with the business they were transacting right then in Havana--desperately trying to buy time to get the $2M and then have him whacked after midnight. And Michael, who could have had Buscetta whack Roth and Ola right there, was desperately buying time down to the last minute to see if he could find out who was the traitor in his family.

I always thought that it was peculiar that Roth,with all of his street smarts,cunning,and treachery,was so rattled when Mike asked him who had Pentangeli killed,that he wasn't able to lie convincingly. The way he avoided Mike's gaze,albeit (only for a moment or two),and the totally evasive way he answered "The.............Rosato Brothers" wouldn't have fooled even Fredo. I was almost expecting him to say "Yeah, the Rosato's. That's the ticket ! Any thoughts?

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997172
09/23/20 07:31 AM
09/23/20 07:31 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Thanks for the answer
Roth was getting him whacked after midnight but not know he knew

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Lou_Para] #997191
09/24/20 12:14 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
I always thought that it was peculiar that Roth,with all of his street smarts,cunning,and treachery,was so rattled when Mike asked him who had Pentangeli killed,that he wasn't able to lie convincingly. The way he avoided Mike's gaze,albeit (only for a moment or two),and the totally evasive way he answered "The.............Rosato Brothers" wouldn't have fooled even Fredo. I was almost expecting him to say "Yeah, the Rosato's. That's the ticket ! Any thoughts?
These different, interesting and varied takes, are what keeps this, what a nice board! still going decade after decade indeed

My take, it was still the clever, cunning Roth still playing the harmless, old sick man – hesitant, acting dumb “The [thinking....trying to recall] Rosato brothers”
Roth still in his element and the Oscar goes to....!

I believe what made Roth's mask slip was Michael's “I know but who gave the go ahead. I know I didn't”
How dare you? You have the gall insinuating and interrogating the great man!

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997192
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
My debatable! theories

The confusion for me is – Turnbull, are you saying? whilst “Roth had to have been thinking and been fanned when Roth couldn't get his hands on Michael's $2M that he [Michael] might suspect Roth was behind the Tahoe shooting” however did not twig Michael was planning to murder Roth [and Ola]

Sure thing Michael's “Who had Frank Pentangeli killed?” set Roth off on his soliloquy and the charade finally exposed
So when he [Greene] turned up dead, I let it go and I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen I didn't ask who gave the order because it had nothing to do with business
I am not sure “Roth was telling Michael to let the failed Tahoe shooting go” I believe Roth was telling Michael to let 'dead' Pentangeli's order go, same as Roth let Greene's order go

It seems Roth and Ola didn't even suspect, there is no indication that they had figured they will "never see the New Year" nor “he [Michael] might suspect Roth was behind the Tahoe shooting”

Otherwise Roth and Ola would not have been so slack, sitting ducks considering how Michael's bodyguard, Bussetta was able to just walk into Ola's hotel room and killed him Then Bussetta almost killed Roth

That was No Heart Attack
I don't think “he [Roth] held out way too long” to whack Michael in Havana

I believe, Michael's any unexplained violent death other than the meticulously planned, carefully considered and arranged, after the New Year's Eve Presidential party, caught up in the midst of the rebel uprising in spite of being escorted in a military car, can be fraught with problems, not as 'believable' and would certainly raise suspicions why Michael was the only one killed

I also believe there was no “greed” Roth was not “desperately trying to buy time / holding out for the $2M” [Michael was all set to be “whacked after midnight” with or without the $2 million] but of course if the money fell into Roth's lap, Roth will take it Bonus! and use Michael's own money or part thereof to pay for Michael's own murder Poetic justice indeed and revenge made sweeter!

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997496
10/01/20 11:04 PM
10/01/20 11:04 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
Part of the greatness of that last scene in Roth's hotel room is that, by that time, both of them were onto each other--and each knew that the other knew.

knew what?

When Michael went to Roth's house he had already figured that he was behind it but he never did He was creating diversion It was Stupid -- people behaving like that with guns Nothing to do with him

Both continued pretending their relationship was still good until that last scene He knew he was all set to be “whacked after midnight” but he had no idea he was planning to murder Roth [and Ola]

I reckon way beyond the power of greed and revenge, Roth was slippin'....vastly underestimating if he thought after his soliloquy, he would fall for his partner talk and be a sitting duck for his assassination

Did he think Michael with just a bodyguard in Roth's Havana is a dead man

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Evita] #997544
10/03/20 02:16 AM
10/03/20 02:16 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Roth's top priority was to get rid of Michael to stop him from encroaching on his gaming empire. His Plan A was to have Michael whacked at Anthony's party, and make it look as if Pentangeli was behind the killing. The $2 million wasn't part of Plan A, although Roth (or Ola) probably would have told Michael that he'd have to present $2 million "as a gift o the Cuban President" to seal the deal--it would add credibility to Roth's "promise" to hand over his Havana holdings.

But, when Plan A failed, Roth went to Plan B: bring Michael to Havana and have him whacked there. Now the $2 million became all-important because Roth would have to pay all or part of it to Batista to have him arrange for Michael to be assassinated in a military car taking him back to his hotel after the New Year's Eve party.

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997602
10/04/20 07:17 AM
10/04/20 07:17 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Michael with just a bodyguard in Roth's Havana is a dead man but friend and associate is protected

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Turnbull] #997664
10/04/20 09:32 PM
10/04/20 09:32 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
Roth had already arranged for Michael to be assassinated in a military car but the contract money has not been paid awaiting the all-important $2M

Roth was slippin'.... if he thought he was still going to get the money after his soliloquy

I reckon the assassination was going ahead with or without the $2 million No doubt it would have been worth it for Roth even if he had to pay his own money but no Bonus!
However he showed his hand with his Plan A warning bells otherwise he would have never suspected and been a sitting duck in Roth's Havana

Re: How'd Michael know it was Roth? [Re: Evita] #997841
10/07/20 09:00 AM
10/07/20 09:00 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Roth never twigged that Michael had twigged that Roth was behind it

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull