GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 107 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,144
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sam the Plumber's Boys #996856
09/13/20 01:07 PM
09/13/20 01:07 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Sam the Plumber's Boys

Based in the City of Elizabeth, New Jersey, this small Mafia Family always had a very limited membership. Before the ascension of Sam the Plumber as their “Representante”, this borgata was thought to have no more than possibly 25 to 30 inducted members. After he rose to prominence, Sam was said to have inducted more members. At their 1960s-1970s peak, the FBI suspected the Family to have approximately 40 or so mafiosi in their ranks.

https://thenewyorkmafia.com/decavalcante-pictoral

Re: Sam the Plumber's Boys [Re: NYMafia] #996879
09/13/20 11:06 PM
09/13/20 11:06 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I'd like to do a Part #2 at some point for the remainder of the Family members I have intel on. The problem I'm running into is that there are no available photographs for many of these other members.

I may have to create mini-bios on them sans photos. we"ll see.... Its not the way I'd like to do it but I may not have a choice.

If anyone on the forum has photos for members I haven't listed of the DeCav's, please email me ok? I appreciate any help you guys can provide me with this

Re: Sam the Plumber's Boys [Re: NYMafia] #996880
09/14/20 01:16 AM
09/14/20 01:16 AM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss
great stuff !!! thanks again ny mafia !!!

Re: Sam the Plumber's Boys [Re: NYMafia] #996951
09/15/20 09:19 PM
09/15/20 09:19 PM
L
Lenox Offline
Underboss
Lenox  Offline
L
Underboss
Excellent info. Whats interesting is how many guys are from Queens and also Connecticut. I never knew that.

Re: Sam the Plumber's Boys [Re: Lenox] #996954
09/15/20 11:28 PM
09/15/20 11:28 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Lenox
Excellent info. Whats interesting is how many guys are from Queens and also Connecticut. I never knew that.

I was surprised also Lenox. I'd say fully 1/3 or their membership hailed from NYC. Specifically the Astoria/Long Island City section of Queens, and the South Brooklyn areas.

For many years they also had a solid crew of appx 7-8 made men and many more associates living/ operating in CT. Especially the Waterbury section where they held almost 100% dominion over.

Re: Sam the Plumber's Boys [Re: NYMafia] #996955
09/16/20 12:11 AM
09/16/20 12:11 AM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
How do you think the Colombos and the other Brooklyn borgatas liked Vincent Rotondo and Sam's other boys running Brooklyn regimes? Do you think the Brooklyn DeCavalcantes were sort of a non factor? Maybe they ran rackets that didn't conflict with the Five Families.

Another thought. Sam the Plumber is often thought of as a lackey for much bigger bosses, but perhaps he maneuvered very well given the hand he was dealt. Expanding heavily in to Connecticut, which was open territory, using the little leeway he had in New York to run a small operation there, and most significantly, he was said to have doubled the number of made men in his once small family. Perhaps he was a brilliant boss who did NOT have the benefit of a wide open geographic area. Pittsburgh could stretch its arms in to the Ohio border and in to West Virginia. Bufalino had a small fiefdom no one would impose on. The DeCavalcante family had giants to each side.

Any thoughts? Not my area of expertise.

Last edited by BarrettM; 09/16/20 12:32 AM.
Re: Sam the Plumber's Boys [Re: BarrettM] #996962
09/16/20 01:13 PM
09/16/20 01:13 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by BarrettM
How do you think the Colombos and the other Brooklyn borgatas liked Vincent Rotondo and Sam's other boys running Brooklyn regimes? Do you think the Brooklyn DeCavalcantes were sort of a non factor? Maybe they ran rackets that didn't conflict with the Five Families.

Another thought. Sam the Plumber is often thought of as a lackey for much bigger bosses, but perhaps he maneuvered very well given the hand he was dealt. Expanding heavily in to Connecticut, which was open territory, using the little leeway he had in New York to run a small operation there, and most significantly, he was said to have doubled the number of made men in his once small family. Perhaps he was a brilliant boss who did NOT have the benefit of a wide open geographic area. Pittsburgh could stretch its arms in to the Ohio border and in to West Virginia. Bufalino had a small fiefdom no one would impose on. The DeCavalcante family had giants to each side.

Any thoughts? Not my area of expertise.

-------
Hi Barrett, I don't think any of the base NYC crews had a problem with the DeCavalcante NY factions. Guys like Louie Telese, Rudy Farone, Jimmy Rotondo, Angelo and Umberto Gallo and their kids, Frank and Melio Cocchiaro and their kids, the Giacobbe brothers and kids, etc etc.., were all NYC born and bred guys.

They were often best friends with guys in Queens, Brooklyn, etc. went to school with them, played ball as kids with them, etc. In fact Telese and Farone among others actually worked under/with guys who later got hooked up with the Colombo crew and Genovese faction.

So the fact that they tied up with Jersey meant nothing. NJ always had NYC based guys. Nothing new.
---
As far as your perception of Sam DeCavalcante, you may be right in your assessment of him. He was no dope thats for sure. He navigated his Family the best he could considering the small size and reach of them I actually agree with your thinking that Sam did pretty good considering his position.

Last edited by NYMafia; 09/16/20 01:14 PM.
Re: Sam the Plumber's Boys [Re: NYMafia] #996966
09/16/20 02:35 PM
09/16/20 02:35 PM
Paris
M
Malavita Offline
Capo
Malavita  Offline
M
Capo
Paris
There was a beef when the DeCavalcante Family inducted NYC based guys Louis Consalvo and Greg Rago.

I think the Colombo made a complaint saying that these guys were based in NYC and were doing business in NYC so they shouldn't have been made by the DeCavalcante Family.

The DeCavalcante had a sit down with representatives of the 5 families and it was decided that the induction of Consalvo and Rago into the DeCav family will stay as it is but the two guys would have to move to NJ and, from now on, the DeCav would not induct guys from NYC.

Re: Sam the Plumber's Boys [Re: Malavita] #996967
09/16/20 03:03 PM
09/16/20 03:03 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Malavita
There was a beef when the DeCavalcante Family inducted NYC based guys Louis Consalvo and Greg Rago.

I think the Colombo made a complaint saying that these guys were based in NYC and were doing business in NYC so they shouldn't have been made by the DeCavalcante Family.

The DeCavalcante had a sit down with representatives of the 5 families and it was decided that the induction of Consalvo and Rago into the DeCav family will stay as it is but the two guys would have to move to NJ and, from now on, the DeCav would not induct guys from NYC.

------
Yes I read that also Malavita. I think it shows the current sorry state of affairs of CN. Years ago that wasn't a thing, but because of a current smaller recruitment pool, nowadays it seems that the NYC crews are being very territorial about recruits. There are fewer and fewer solid potential associates as candidates for the families.

So I think that conversation and sit-down speaks to that point.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull