GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (mobcleve, Lou_Para, Captbony1999, RushStreet, 1 invisible), 112 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,354
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,215
Posts1,056,176
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1931 Five Families Admin and Capos #992775
06/16/20 02:35 PM
06/16/20 02:35 PM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
Was wondering if there was a comprehensive structure on what the ruling panels were for the Five Families at the time Maranzano was whacked and who the capos were in each of the families at the time.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #992920
06/20/20 10:58 PM
06/20/20 10:58 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Genovese family.
Boss- Charlie Luciano, Underboss- Vito Genovese, Consigliere- Saverio Pollaccia
Capos- Ciro Terranova, Anthony Strollo, Michele Miranda, Joseph Doto, Anthony Carfano, Rocco Pellegrino, Quarico Moretti, Thomas Greco, Frank Costello, Salvatore Chiri, Frank Iacone, Joseph Lanza.

Gambino family.
Boss- Vincent Mangano Underboss- Albert Anastasia Consigliere- Nicolo Gentile
Capos- Frank Scalise, Frank Castellano, Carlo Gambino, Jerome D'Aquila, Anthony Anastasio, Phil Mangano, Joseph Franco, Joseph Riccobono, Joe Traina, Pasquale Corbi, Joe Biondo, Antonio Conte, Vincent Crisalli, Rosario Dongarra, Stefano LoPiccolo, Salvatore Masotto, Gioacchino Parisi, Gaetano Trupia, Gaetano Russo, Anthony Rizzo.

Bonanno family
Boss- Joe Bonanno Underboss- Angelo Caruso Consigliere- Frank Italiano
Capos- Dominick Sabella, Nicolo Alfano, Joe Asaro, John Bonventre, Vincent Danna, Vincent DePasquale, Gaspare DiGregorio, Natale Evola, Frank Garofalo, Filippo Rappa, John Tartamella Sr, Joe Venza, Santo Vultaggio.

I am sure I am forgetting others but am tired.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #992923
06/21/20 12:02 AM
06/21/20 12:02 AM
TheLittleMan Offline
Button
TheLittleMan  Offline
Button
Giacomo, what was Ignazio Lupo's position at this time? Was he just a soldier prior to his forced retirement?

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #992929
06/21/20 08:05 AM
06/21/20 08:05 AM
Michael_Giovanni Offline
Underboss
Michael_Giovanni  Offline
Underboss
Salvatore Chiri was with the Gambino’s

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #992931
06/21/20 11:29 AM
06/21/20 11:29 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
TheLittleMan, when the Clutch was killed and a lot of friends and allies were killed during the war, Lupo was placed under Ciro Terranova. When Terranova was demoted and shelved, so was Lupo.

Colombo family.
Boss- Joe Profaci. Underboss- Joe Magliocco Consigliere Tony Buffa
Capos- Frank Abbatemarco, Angelo Brancato, Cassandro Bonasera, Leo Carlino, Salvatore DiBella, Enrico Fontana, Ambrogio Magliocco, Charles LoCicero, Salvatore Mineo, Salvatore Musacchia, Giovanni Oddo, Salvatore Profaci, Nick Sorrentino Sr, Giuseppe Tipa Sr, Salvatore Tornabe.

Lucchese family
Boss- Gaetano Gagliano Underboss- Gaetano Lucchese Consigliere- Stefano Rondelli
Capos- Salvatore Curiale, Giovanni DiCarlo, Angelo Gagliano, Joseph LaPorta, Stefano LaSalle, Dominic Petrelli, Vincent Rao, Joseph Rosato, Vincent Plumeri, there are two more Capos but only known by nicknames.

Correction Salvatore Chiri did not join the Genovese crime family until the disbanding of Newark NJ family. GM, Salvatore Chiri brother Joe was a made member and relocated to the west coast, maintained that they joined Genovese family on the request of Joe Doto and Willie Moretti. There are two Salvatore Chiri's or the Gambino member last name is spelled different.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #992946
06/21/20 08:56 PM
06/21/20 08:56 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
@Giacomo During this time period
1.)Which Family had the most manpower?
2.) Which Family was the wealthiest and had the best rackets?
3.) Which Family was the most organized and best connected?
4.) Which Family was most dangerous?
5.) Which Family was most secretive and least on law enforcement radar?

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Dob_Peppino] #992965
06/22/20 03:44 PM
06/22/20 03:44 PM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
@Giacomo During this time period
1.)Which Family had the most manpower?
2.) Which Family was the wealthiest and had the best rackets?
3.) Which Family was the most organized and best connected?
4.) Which Family was most dangerous?
5.) Which Family was most secretive and least on law enforcement radar?

1. Most likely to be split between Gambino and Genovese families. Cap of 450 made men.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #992968
06/22/20 07:10 PM
06/22/20 07:10 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
1. Genovese. They had guys spread out over the country before transfers happened.
2. The edge goes to the Genovese. They were a head long before Prohibition ended.
3. That's a tie between Genovese and Lucchese. You look at Frank Costello and Tommy Lucchese, but those families had people connected to City Hall, unions, police, lawyers, long before those two came on the scene, and it would not be till the 40s when they actually had a chokehold on them, the great depression speed it up for them in the 30s.
4. That's a tie between Gambino and Colombo. Vito Genovese was violent but not as dangerous as Albert Anastasia and Joe Profaci.
5. Lucchese. The cops knew a lot of these members not as made but as payouts for bribes. Lucchese members were not high on the DA list. Deportation yeah, but of all the families they were the most secretive and were minor bleeps on the radar, except for those involved in Narcotics.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #992974
06/22/20 09:19 PM
06/22/20 09:19 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Interesting that you'd say that about Profaci. He doesn't get credit for being a hitter. The Profaci-Colombo Family was always unstable and Profaci wasn't opposed to the gun.

1.) Was there a split in the Luciano Family at this time, with a faction being loyal to Vito or was it unified under Lucky?

2.) What exactly did Joe Bonanno "inherit" from Salvatore Maranzano and the Castellamarese family?

3.) Who were the Gambino-Castellano blood family loyal to Vincent Mangano or Albert Anastasia?

4.) Was there anyone at that time stronger candidates to head Joe Profaci or Joe Bonanno Families?

5.) Did Vincent Mangano and Tom Gagliano command their own underworld power and respect or were they just proxy-pawns for the likes of Tommy Lucchese and Albert Anastasia with Luciano being the mastermind?

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #992975
06/22/20 10:21 PM
06/22/20 10:21 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
1. Everything points to being unified. Some crews were more loyal to Luciano or Genovese, yes but there is no indication or evidence that this hindered working with each other.

2. Bonanno inherited alot, mostly Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan operations, with Castellammarese members across the states and Sicily putting him in high regard as well as some making him a partner or another member of his family a partner in any kind of operation. You have to say familes instead of family since there were actually a dozen there at the time, for starters Bonanno had Bonventre, Garofalo, DiFilippi, and Vultaggio families on his corner. The Magaddino was the top family and they were behind Stefano Magaddino in Buffalo.

3. Vincent Mangano. Frank Castellano was already successful but his and Carlo Gambino power and wealth during the 30s and 40s were thanks to the perks Mangano bestowed upon them. They became more successful under Mangano.

4. For Bonanno it was Angelo Caruso and Giovanni Bonventre but they both supported Bonanno for the top spot. Profaci, the only rival would be Salvatore DiBella, but his health was failing and he preferred Profaci.

5. They were, but Luciano and Costello used Tommy Lucchese and Albert Anastasia as backdoors during negotiations or business venues.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #992977
06/22/20 10:55 PM
06/22/20 10:55 PM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
After the Castellammarese War, Frank Italiano tried to be elected by the members of the Maranzano Family but didn't have the reputation that Bonanno carried. He became the family consigliere, though he and capo Nick Gruppuso weren't satisfied and tried a putsch, though Bonanno most likely found out about it and probably had them whacked in 1935.

Bonanno's next consigliere was Phil Rappa, though he was "pulled down" in 1940, and probably whacked in 1944 for insubordination. John Tartamella was then promoted to number three sometime after Rappa was demoted.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #992997
06/23/20 01:12 PM
06/23/20 01:12 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
@Giacomo
1.) What were the specialties of each Family during the time of 1931?

2.) Which Family was best connected to Sicily?

3.) Who was running the Drug trade during this time?

4.) Who had the best relationship with Al Capone of Chicago and Stefano Maggadino of Buffalo in 1931?

5.) Is it safe to say at this time the other bosses weren't even close to Lucky Luciano in status, wealth and power or did the others rival him during the early years of the Commission?

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 06/23/20 04:01 PM.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993002
06/23/20 03:56 PM
06/23/20 03:56 PM
North Jersey
ItalianIrishMix Offline
Underboss
ItalianIrishMix  Offline
Underboss
North Jersey
Bonanno Underboss - Angelo Caruso?

How is it that I have researching LCN history and have never seen this name before?

Usually such high ranking guys have a searchable history AND I know he lived until 1991 so my question is, how?
Was he a Benny Squint type ?
Did he walk away very early?

Any info is appreciated.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993003
06/23/20 04:07 PM
06/23/20 04:07 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
@Italianirishmix
Angelo Caruso was the actual underboss of Salvatore Maranzano and represented a non-Castellamerse faction of the Family. When the Commission was created he stepped aside for Joe Bonanno's regime and was eventually replaced with Giovanni Bonventre then Frank Garofalo as the underboss. He remained a Captain thru the Bananas war, being on the fence but generally rooting for Bonanno. In the early 70s he helped facilitate the reorganization of the Family. I believe he retired mid-70s and live until the 90s.

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 06/23/20 04:08 PM.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993007
06/23/20 06:00 PM
06/23/20 06:00 PM
C
chin_gigante Offline
Capo
chin_gigante  Offline
C
Capo
Giovanni Bonventre wasn't underboss, he was just a captain. Garofalo took over as underboss immediately after Caruso

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Dob_Peppino] #993058
06/24/20 07:24 PM
06/24/20 07:24 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
@Giacomo
1.) What were the specialties of each Family during the time of 1931?

2.) Which Family was best connected to Sicily?

3.) Who was running the Drug trade during this time?

4.) Who had the best relationship with Al Capone of Chicago and Stefano Maggadino of Buffalo in 1931?

5.) Is it safe to say at this time the other bosses weren't even close to Lucky Luciano in status, wealth and power or did the others rival him during the early years of the Commission?

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Dob_Peppino] #993060
06/24/20 08:11 PM
06/24/20 08:11 PM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
@Italianirishmix
Angelo Caruso was the actual underboss of Salvatore Maranzano and represented a non-Castellamerse faction of the Family. When the Commission was created he stepped aside for Joe Bonanno's regime and was eventually replaced with Giovanni Bonventre then Frank Garofalo as the underboss. He remained a Captain thru the Bananas war, being on the fence but generally rooting for Bonanno. In the early 70s he helped facilitate the reorganization of the Family. I believe he retired mid-70s and live until the 90s.

So in essence, was Bonanno merely a capo at the time Maranzano was clipped? Or was he the consigliere sometime before becoming the boss?

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993061
06/24/20 08:19 PM
06/24/20 08:19 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
1. I dont know they overlapped alot.
2. Luciano. Bonanno and Mangano come in a close second.
3. All 5 families, but if you are asking who had the stronger grip, then it would be the Luciano family.
4. Best connections to Capone is the Genovese family as Joe the Boss brought in Capone. Profaci family a close second as he was friendly with Tony Bello and other members from Ribera and Villabate Sicily, plus he spent some time in Chicago and was close to Tony Lombardo and Joe Scacco. Best connections to Buffalo, Bonanno family.
5. Luciano had more status, wealth and power which made him a large target for law enforcement, especially since he was flashy.

The Chin is right, Frank Garofalo replaced Angelo Caruso. John Bonventre was only a capo, you may have been thinking of Vito Bonventre who was number 2 in the family before being killed in 1930.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993084
06/25/20 08:38 AM
06/25/20 08:38 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
@Njein Bonanno was essentially a capo during the time Maranzano was killed. During the Castellamarese war he was a bodyguard similar to Tommy Bilotti (this is were people get the impression that Bonanno was his underboss because he was so close to Maranzano)

@Giacomo
I was mixed up about John Bonventre......
In regards to Luciano, it's amazing how he was able to cultivate the connections he had without being from the Sicilian tradition or having blood ties. What I also find interesting is the organizational make-up of the Luciano Family. Unlike the others, there doesn't seem to be a lineage faction within the organization (like the Gambino blood family within the Gambino crime organization) and each crew seemingly could be powerful enough in its own right to lead the Family (with guys like Genovese, Costello, Joe Adonis, Willie Moretti, Rocco Pellegrino, Miranda, Boiardo, Coppola, Carfano etc) with the cooperation of other ethnic groups (Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Dutch Schultz, Longy Zwillman, Bumpy Johnson etc). He reallly was a "master criminal mind".

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 06/25/20 07:03 PM.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Dob_Peppino] #993088
06/25/20 11:01 AM
06/25/20 11:01 AM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
@Njein Bonanno was essentially a capo during the time Maranzano was killed. During the Castellamarese war he was a bodyguard similar to Tommy Bilotti (this is were people get the impression that Bonanno was his underboss because he was so close to Maranzano)

@Giacomo I was mixed up about John Bonventre......
In regards to Luciano, it's amazing how he was able to cultivate the connections he had without being from the Sicilian tradition or having blood ties. What I also find interesting is the organizational make-up of the Luciano Family. Unlike the others, there doesn't seem to be a lineage faction within the organization (like the Gambino blood family within the Gambino crime organization) and each crew seemingly could be powerful enough in its own right to lead the Family (with guys like Genovese, Costello, Joe Adonis, Willie Moretti, Rocco Pellegrino, Miranda, Boiardo, Coppola, Carfano etc) with the cooperation of other ethnic groups (Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Dutch Schultz, Longy Zwillman, Bumpy Johnson etc). He reallly was a "master criminal mind".

1.) All things considered in your opinion what was the weakest Family and Least secure Boss in 1931?

2.)Who if any had the biggest problem with Lucky Luciano in 1931?

3.) Which Family had the most internal strife and residual problems from the Castellamarese War?

@Dob_Peppino So Bonanno was a capo at the time Maranzano was clipped, albeit I am presuming he was more or less the street boss with Caruso the underboss. I'm presuming it's similar to Massino being the street boss for Rastelli in the 1980s.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993089
06/25/20 11:06 AM
06/25/20 11:06 AM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Luciano was clever as hell with placement of under bosses in certain families and having guys he trusted near the top in almost every family. Not do much with Bonnano and Profaci families but with others he had older guys at top then someone like Anastasia or Luchese as underboss. Was thinking 5 steps ahead.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993091
06/25/20 12:49 PM
06/25/20 12:49 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
@Njein
Caruso represents the group that wasn't Castellamarese in the administration (similar to Angelo Bruno(sicilian) having Tony Caponigro(calabrian) as no #3 representing the Calabrian faction in Philadelphia). Bonanno was apart of a younger group (Himself, Gaspar Digregorio, Buster Domimgo, Natale Evola, Vincent Danna etc) who were bodyguard/hit squad for Salvatore Maranzano. Bonanno may offically been a capo but was closer to Maranzano because of his status as a bloodline Mafioso cousin to Boss Stefano Maggadino. I don't think at this time Bonanno was in command over the entire Family. I think once the war was over, Angelo Caruso had no desire to be the head of the Family (and he would have others oppurtunities in the future).Bonanno had a powerful lineage to their homeland Castellamare Del Golfo, He was proven tough in battle, alreasy had legitimate business interests and (IMO) was Recognized by The heavyweights (Luciano) as the person that needed to be dealt with in that group of people. Evenone within that family subsided except Frank Italiano and the family didn't back him.

@mchang93
Alot of us give credit to Carlo Gambino but Luciano has a strong case as being Greatest Boss, in spite of all his misshaps(for me, long jail terms is usually a negative mark) but Lucky was so brillant and powerful, it almost negates it.

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 06/25/20 01:53 PM.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993094
06/25/20 01:38 PM
06/25/20 01:38 PM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Yea but that Dewey/Prostitution case was railroading at its finest

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993095
06/25/20 03:02 PM
06/25/20 03:02 PM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
He gets hit with that massive sentence and schemes his way out the prison gates and into exile freedom.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993099
06/25/20 06:59 PM
06/25/20 06:59 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
@Giacomo
1.) All things considered in your opinion what was the weakest Family and Least secure Boss in 1931?

2.)Who if any had the biggest problem with Lucky Luciano in 1931?

3.) Which Family had the most internal strife and residual problems from the Castellamarese War?

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993155
06/26/20 07:42 PM
06/26/20 07:42 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
1) weakest, Profaci family. Least secure boss none. I have to say Bonanno and Profaci both faced hurdles at the start of their reigns, and again at the end of their reigns.
2) Not problems, but a peeve of the other bosses was that Luciano was to flashy and would prefer he stuck more into the shadows.
3) Bonanno and Genovese are tied. There were still a few in each family that could not forget about the War, and were trying to avenge or get even with whoever had killed their blood family member, most were associates.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993198
06/27/20 10:00 PM
06/27/20 10:00 PM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
Did any of the families have consiglieri pre-1931?

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993202
06/28/20 04:40 AM
06/28/20 04:40 AM
C
chin_gigante Offline
Capo
chin_gigante  Offline
C
Capo
Originally Posted by Njein
Did any of the families have consiglieri pre-1931?

Saverio Pollaccia was Masseria's consigliere. There were most likely others we just don't know about.

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993212
06/28/20 04:46 PM
06/28/20 04:46 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Would Anyone say Lucky Luciano was the most powerful Cosa Nostra Boss of all time ?

Re: 1931 Five Families Admin and Capos [Re: Njein] #993213
06/28/20 04:53 PM
06/28/20 04:53 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Gambino- Giuseppe Balsamo was described as an adviser to Salvatore A'quila from 1914 till Salvatore A'quila was killed in 1928, Balsamo retired shortly after A'quila was killed. Balsamo and Mineo are said to not get along. Balsamo is the closest to being the family Consigliere before 1931.

Bonanno- Salvatore Grippi and Benjamin Gallo were powerful members in the family. Grippi was known to visit Nicola Schiro numerous times during the the week and gave his advice on important meetings, before he moved to New Jersey were he visited Schiro once a week. Benjamin Gallo was an adviser to the Bonventre family notably Vito and Giovanni Bonventre, it is reported he was Vito Bonventre successor, before he was killed in his own restraunt in 1930. Those are the two who were the closest to being the family Consigliere.

Colombo- Giuseppe Peraino was either the underboss or Consigliere to the family before 1931.

Lucchese- no ideal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull