GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 77 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,332
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,698
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,500
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,275
Posts1,057,651
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 55 of 91 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Hollander] #988073
03/22/20 05:11 PM
03/22/20 05:11 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Hollander
The latest Jumanji, but I watch anything with The Rock ! grin

I wasn't a fan. The first one was a fun ride but the sequel failed to deliver in every aspect!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Turnbull] #988074
03/22/20 05:12 PM
03/22/20 05:12 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Bram Stoker's Dracula

Keanu Reeves' performance is atrocious.

Understatement of the year. mad Ryder not much better.

I'll give you Reeves but don't say a cross word about Winona Ryder sir (just joking). Oldman was fantastic as Dracula but I still prefer the 1931 version or NOSFERATU.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988391
03/29/20 01:19 PM
03/29/20 01:19 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Clockers

Directed by Spike Lee. Starring the likes of Harvey Keitel, John Turturro and Delroy Lindo. Features a who's who of guys who acted in Goodfellas and Sopranos in cameo roles. Takes a while to get going, but has a very good second half. One complaint is that the soundtrack gets distracting and has a habit of drowning out important dialogue. Also, I don't know what they were thinking naming two important characters "Ronnie" and "Ronald".

If you're a fan of The Wire, you will love this as the similarities are uncanny. This is, of course, because it was adapted from a Richard Price book and he wrote for The Wire.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988431
03/29/20 08:48 PM
03/29/20 08:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Watched The Kitchen staring Melissa McCarthy. It's really a downer of a movie and not that good which tends to be the case with many of McCarthy's movies.

It's a combination of a mob movie and girl power. However, all it proves is that women can be just as terrible as men (although women always have a good reason). It takes place in Hell's Kitchen. It paints Hell's Kitchen as really hell. Is it really that bad?

Last edited by olivant; 03/29/20 08:51 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #988437
03/29/20 09:47 PM
03/29/20 09:47 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted by olivant
Watched The Kitchen staring Melissa McCarthy. It's really a downer of a movie and not that good which tends to be the case with many of McCarthy's movies.

It's a combination of a mob movie and girl power. However, all it proves is that women can be just as terrible as men (although women always have a good reason). It takes place in Hell's Kitchen. It paints Hell's Kitchen as really hell. Is it really that bad?

That movie Sucked.
Completely a goof, they took some facts, true stories and places and then twisted the shit out of them.

Hell’s Kitchen was a rough and tumble area for many years up until the late 90’s when it began to change with new people, business and money coming in that invested in the real estate.

The Westies that ran the area back in the day would have cut those women’s heads off and burned them in LIC, literally.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988449
03/30/20 02:31 AM
03/30/20 02:31 AM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

I watched the netflix film The Outsider, not bad if you are into yakuza films.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988463
03/30/20 08:15 AM
03/30/20 08:15 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
I saw THE KITCHEN in the theaters and I wasn’t impressed either. Haven’t seen it since and don’t have a desire to. Just another “female power/representation” movie that once again, bombed at the box office as a result.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #988494
03/30/20 01:44 PM
03/30/20 01:44 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted by Irishman12
DARK WATERS

This film focuses on DuPont poisoning residents in West Virginia for decades. Mark Ruffalo, an environmental attorney, takes the case on for one of the locals. While I applaud the film for being able to sift through the almost 20 years this case went through from beginning to end, to present a digestible and comprehensive account of what happened, the story at times seems to be spotty. And while I am a big Anne Hathaway fan (and to a lesser extent, a Mark Ruffalo fan as well), both seem to mail in their performances. Hathaway as the "this case is costing you your family because your never home" wife, who ever once in a while has a breakdown. Whereas Ruffalo seems dazed throughout with the exception of a few times he actually gets emotional and passionate. Interesting subject, but averagely executed. 6/10

We saw DARK WATERS yesterday.

we both really enjoyed it and found the story memorable from actual events, agree with your review of the actors but thought the farmers performance was very good and loved his scenes as well as the dude for Shawshank, he was good too.

I might go to a 7 on this one.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988511
03/30/20 03:38 PM
03/30/20 03:38 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Glad you enjoyed DP!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #988575
03/31/20 09:34 PM
03/31/20 09:34 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Glad you enjoyed DP!

We really did.

Great Recco.

We look through all your reviews and then pick a movie option to view.

Thank you Sir.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988583
04/01/20 05:33 AM
04/01/20 05:33 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Just finished watching Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. That will always be a classic.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Moe_Tilden] #988641
04/02/20 02:58 PM
04/02/20 02:58 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quiz Show

Excellently directed by Robert Redford and superbly acted by John Turturro and Ralph Fiennes. Evocative of the 1960s and never loses its stranglehold on the viewer.

A brilliant movie in every respect. World-beating performances not only by Turturro and Fiennes, but also by David Paymer and Hank Azaria (always good), and the great Paul Scofield, who almost steals it in a relatively minor role. Only weak note: Rob Morrow with that phony "Bahston" accent.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Turnbull] #988649
04/02/20 10:25 PM
04/02/20 10:25 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Quiz Show

Excellently directed by Robert Redford and superbly acted by John Turturro and Ralph Fiennes. Evocative of the 1960s and never loses its stranglehold on the viewer.

A brilliant movie in every respect. World-beating performances not only by Turturro and Fiennes, but also by David Paymer and Hank Azaria (always good), and the great Paul Scofield, who almost steals it in a relatively minor role. Only weak note: Rob Morrow with that phony "Bahston" accent.

Funny u guys raised this up.....1rst time I watched it I fell asleep, I had 1.. 2 many.&..2nd time I saw it was many yrs. later & was in love w/ it...Great Movie!!!

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988904
04/06/20 11:08 AM
04/06/20 11:08 AM
LV
F
flamingokid123 Offline
Underboss
flamingokid123  Offline
F
Underboss
LV
Just watch Green Book this weekend. Loved it

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988927
04/06/20 06:17 PM
04/06/20 06:17 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Vivarium
If you know anything at all about the behavior of a certain bird species and/or Irish mythology then this movie's story was very heavily foreshadowed or possibly even spoiled in the first 15-30 seconds. The film might be considered an extended metaphor about the pointlessness of modern suburban life but I thought it worked much better as a modern day Twilight Zone episode. It probably ran on a little longer than necessary. Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots are a gardener and school teacher couple who find themselves in a situation that is unexplainable. It starts with them getting lost. Their day goes downhill from there.

Any more plot description would venture into spoiler territory so let's just leave it at that. This movie isn't quite as intelligent as it imagines itself to be but I appreciated that despite the plot being somewhat predictable the film had the courage to not explain every little thing or force the expected ending. This film was low on special effects or gore but high on creepiness/weirdness. This is something that were it a book, could have been written by Bradbury, King or Lovecraft.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988933
04/06/20 07:13 PM
04/06/20 07:13 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
International Falls

First time director Amber McGinnis directed this indie movie.
It's based on a two person play but McGinnis transcends those limitations. It's by far the best movie I've seen in 2020. International Falls tells a familiar story but the director puts her own twist and interpretation on the tale. She mixes drama and absurdity in a way that is realistic and often poignant. In the hands of a lesser director or more intrusive studio, this film would have found the time to grind various ideological axes.

This is not a movie for kids, not because of the adult themes, but because this film will appeal primarily to people who have lived long enough to have regrets and recognize mistakes but who can still change their future. This film brings to mind the Coen Brothers' Fargo because of the surface similarity of each film's depiction of the Swedish/German derived distinctive sing song vowel heavy Upper Midwest accents, specifically those found in Minnesota.The film finds some humor in those tones; a few actors appear to lay it on quite thick.

Dee (Rachael Harris) is a hotel clerk/manager of a certain age who works in International Falls, Minnesota. Dee has two daughters with fellow town native, Gary (Matthew Glave). The slightly built Dee normally keeps her emotions bottled up, which can make it equally humorous and scary when she reveals her true thoughts. Dee and Gary are growing apart. Gary's unfaithful, though Dee is pretending ignorance. Dee has always wanted to be a standup comedian. Dee thinks that life is passing her by more and more quickly.

So when a tall, divorced, similarly aged comedian named Tim (Rob Huebel) stops into the hotel for a two night engagement, Dee is primed to talk to him, learn from him, be his town tour guide, and offer Tim some special hospitality. There's a problem though. Tim is depressed, self-loathing, misanthropic, burnt out, and hates, really, really really HATES his chosen career path. Tim will tell anyone who'll listen that's he's not very good. Tim thinks most comedians stink. Tim believes wannabee comedians are even worse. Tim's depression, anger, and bitterness seep into his jokes, which indeed are mostly bad.

Tim displays subtle disdain and later open hostility for the locals. That is, he shows dislike for everyone except Dee. Tim enjoys Dee's curiosity despite himself. As Dee and Tim interact with one another they each discover some things about themselves. I don't think the film has villains. Dee's description of Gary's ineptness at failing to clear his bizarre PC browser cache and incriminating phone call history is not a "gotcha" moment of female revenge so much as it is a mature rueful acceptance of a spouse's shortcomings. International Falls is not a romantic comedy. This is a quiet bittersweet film. I think anyone who has either considered or taken a new journey in life might enjoy this film. clap

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Lilo] #988941
04/06/20 08:13 PM
04/06/20 08:13 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Lilo
Vivarium
If you know anything at all about the behavior of a certain bird species and/or Irish mythology then this movie's story was very heavily foreshadowed or possibly even spoiled in the first 15-30 seconds. The film might be considered an extended metaphor about the pointlessness of modern suburban life but I thought it worked much better as a modern day Twilight Zone episode. It probably ran on a little longer than necessary. Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots are a gardener and school teacher couple who find themselves in a situation that is unexplainable. It starts with them getting lost. Their day goes downhill from there.

Any more plot description would venture into spoiler territory so let's just leave it at that. This movie isn't quite as intelligent as it imagines itself to be but I appreciated that despite the plot being somewhat predictable the film had the courage to not explain every little thing or force the expected ending. This film was low on special effects or gore but high on creepiness/weirdness. This is something that were it a book, could have been written by Bradbury, King or Lovecraft.

Thanks for the review Lilo. I saw the trailer for this. Worth a watch or pass?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #988948
04/06/20 09:42 PM
04/06/20 09:42 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Vivarium

I thought it was marginally worthwhile. It was unsettling. It would have been more effective with a shorter run time. It is a film that likes to show rather than tell. Dialogue is minimalist once the viewer gets into the meat of the story.

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Lilo] #988951
04/06/20 10:04 PM
04/06/20 10:04 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Vivarium

I thought it was marginally worthwhile. It was unsettling. It would have been more effective with a shorter run time. It is a film that likes to show rather than tell. Dialogue is minimalist once the viewer gets into the meat of the story.

Ok, thanks for the feedback!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #988973
04/07/20 09:59 AM
04/07/20 09:59 AM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss
you guys should watch the movie - war 2007 with jet li
it's a great movie !

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #989094
04/08/20 06:41 PM
04/08/20 06:41 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Only
This film works the same side of the street as novels like Stephen and Owen King's book Sleeping Beauties, Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, or the films Children of Men, and A Quiet Place.
For an apocalyptic movie this film has few special effects. The story is woven tightly around two young lovers.
Many of us know people of both genders who express disdain and vitriol for the other gender. I think those are generally unfortunate opinions held by people with unexamined sexual/psychological issues. A dystopic story where one gender disappears shows us what we truly need from each other.

Will (Leslie Odom Jr.) and Eva (Freda Pinto) are a loving couple. A comet passes over the world. For a period of time (the film jumps around chronologically), the comet produces ash which falls across the planet. Although it looks like snow, it's not.

This ash contains a bacteria or virus that occasionally infects but does not kill men or boys. Men can infect women. But the pathogen kills women and girls. Some women live longer than others but with one possible exception there aren't any women who are immune. Females die by the multitudes. Humanity faces its end. Governments create medical centers to find a cure. But everyone suspects that the centers are not designed to help women so much as they are built to harvest eggs and find a way to mass produce artificial wombs. Women and girls have become so rare that the US government is offering million dollar bounties for the delivery of a live female. Initially the bounties are only for women of child bearing age but eventually armed government agents search for females of any age. Thugs search for women for other reasons.

Will refuses to turn over Eva to the government. The formerly genial, soft-spoken, and decidedly non-bada$$ Will intends to keep Eva safe.
Will takes this responsibility seriously, to the point of building a complicated "stay in place/quarantine system". Will will kill and die for Eva if needed. Eva may be the last woman in the world.

Although Eva appreciates Will's protectiveness she thinks he's become monomaniacal. Eva resents and occasionally resists some of Will's decisions.
As in many emergency situations, both individual and societal, democracy falls by the wayside. Will struggles with his girlfriend's unhappiness and challenges while trying to keep them both safe.
Is it, during times of stress and conflict, automatically the man's role to provide and protect? If so can the woman question her man's leadership if doing so can get them both killed.

This was an intelligent movie that demonstrates that sci-fi/speculative fiction doesn't need to rely on cheap thrills, gore and T&A. One big narrative weakness was that it is utterly pointless ever to attempt to disguise Freida Pinto as male. Even the dimmest man would immediately recognize that Eva is female. There's nothing that is androgynous about Pinto. Also, this film could have benefited a LOT from a shorter running time and a larger budget. Lighting was bad too often. This wasn't a home run must see film. But neither was it garbage. Only nimbly demonstrates how intimates communicate wordlessly with each other. Will and Eva love each other desperately, even as their relationship is strained to the breaking point. There is constantly rising tension and drama but little violence.

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #989096
04/08/20 08:08 PM
04/08/20 08:08 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Boring.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Lilo] #989707
04/19/20 08:48 PM
04/19/20 08:48 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
International Falls

It's based on a two person play but McGinnis transcends those limitations. It's by far the best movie I've seen in 2020. International Falls tells a familiar story but the director puts her own twist and interpretation on the tale. She mixes drama and absurdity in a way that is realistic and often poignant. In the hands of a lesser director or more intrusive studio, this film would have found the time to grind various ideological axes.

This is not a movie for kids, not because of the adult themes, but because this film will appeal primarily to people who have lived long enough to have regrets and recognize mistakes but who can still change their future. This film brings to mind the Coen Brothers' Fargo because of the surface similarity of each film's depiction of the Swedish/German derived distinctive sing song vowel heavy Upper Midwest accents, specifically those found in Minnesota.The film finds some humor in those tones; a few actors appear to lay it on quite thick.

Dee (Rachael Harris) is a hotel clerk/manager of a certain age who works in International Falls, Minnesota. Dee has two daughters with fellow town native, Gary (Matthew Glave). The slightly built Dee normally keeps her emotions bottled up, which can make it equally humorous and scary when she reveals her true thoughts. Dee and Gary are growing apart. Gary's unfaithful, though Dee is pretending ignorance. Dee has always wanted to be a standup comedian. Dee thinks that life is passing her by more and more quickly.

So when a tall, divorced, similarly aged comedian named Tim (Rob Huebel) stops into the hotel for a two night engagement, Dee is primed to talk to him, learn from him, be his town tour guide, and offer Tim some special hospitality. There's a problem though. Tim is depressed, self-loathing, misanthropic, burnt out, and hates, really, really really HATES his chosen career path. Tim will tell anyone who'll listen that's he's not very good. Tim thinks most comedians stink. Tim believes wannabee comedians are even worse. Tim's depression, anger, and bitterness seep into his jokes, which indeed are mostly bad.

Tim displays subtle disdain and later open hostility for the locals. That is, he shows dislike for everyone except Dee. Tim enjoys Dee's curiosity despite himself. As Dee and Tim interact with one another they each discover some things about themselves. I don't think the film has villains. Dee's description of Gary's ineptness at failing to clear his bizarre PC browser cache and incriminating phone call history is not a "gotcha" moment of female revenge so much as it is a mature rueful acceptance of a spouse's shortcomings. International Falls is not a romantic comedy. This is a quiet bittersweet film. I think anyone who has either considered or taken a new journey in life might enjoy this film. clap

Just added this to the list will track back on your review.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: DuesPaid] #989774
04/21/20 03:26 PM
04/21/20 03:26 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted by DuesPaid
International Falls

Just added this to the list will track back on your review.

Cool. Pls let me know what you think, good, bad or indifferent.

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #989776
04/21/20 04:10 PM
04/21/20 04:10 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Gun Crazy
directed by Joseph E. Lewis

I've always liked older movies. Over the past few years I've been watching more noir films. This 1949 film, although it obviously was not explicit in terms of sex or violence, was nonetheless quite bold at how it used those two themes. It was something which was likely Tarantino before its time. It certainly had to have made an impression on Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde, in terms of the beret wearing female lead, the innovative camera work and the automobile being used as metaphor for danger and freedom.

Although as mentioned there's little here that would offend modern audiences in terms of sex/violence (people fall down wordlessly when they're shot, an attractive woman runs while wearing tight clothing) in some aspects this is an intensely sexy film. The leads had great chemistry together.

Bart Tare (John Dall) is an aw shucks kind of guy who, despite being unwilling to harm any living creature, has since childhood been obsessed with firearms of all kinds. Not only is he a natural marksman, he works continually to improve his aim and speed. After a stint in reform school for stealing a gun he's spent much of his adult life in the army training other soldiers to shoot. Coming home, he and his friends attend a carnival featuring skilled sharpshooter Annie Starr (Peggy Cummins), a young woman who shows off incredible gun skills to the audience and routinely defeats any challengers.

Both Annie and Bart like what they see in each other. Egged on by his friends, Bart challenges Annie to a duel of skills, and wins. THAT really turns Annie on. She convinces the carnival boss Packett (Berry Kroeger) to hire Bart. As Bart finds out though Packett and Annie have history together. And Packett at least would like to have a future with Annie.

One night Bart prevents Packett from assaulting Annie. Packett fires them both. Bart and Annie get married. The two don't have much money. Annie loves Bart because by her lights he's a real man with guts. But she has no interest in waiting around for him to build a life for her on a $40/week job that he hasn't found yet. She has ideas for quick money, robberies. Bart agrees provided no one gets hurt. But Annie doesn't have the same objections to violence that hubby does.

This was an entertaining movie that in so many ways was the filmic incarnation of the later Eagles lyrics:
She said, "Listen, baby, you can hear the engine ring."
"We've been up and down this highway, haven't seen a goddamn thing."

The husband and wife have different pasts and different ideas about the utility of violence. They argue with each other, but they are incredibly loyal to and protective of each other, no matter what. This was really more Cummins' film than Dall's. Annie is always watching her husband's back and woe to anyone she thinks will harm Bart, even his relatives or cops. Dall and Cummins improvised much of their dialog with each other, which added to the film's naturalistic feel.

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #989792
04/21/20 06:46 PM
04/21/20 06:46 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
For at least the 20th time, The Man Who Would be King with Sean Connery and Michael Caine. A great story, transferred to film very well.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #989797
04/21/20 07:00 PM
04/21/20 07:00 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

A few on my to watch list.

New Jack City
The Game
Session 9
Cube
Frantic

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #990002
04/25/20 07:24 AM
04/25/20 07:24 AM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

I'm watching Goldfinger again Thunderball next.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Hollander] #990037
04/25/20 07:39 PM
04/25/20 07:39 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Hollander
I'm watching Goldfinger again Thunderball next.

1 of my Top 3 Bond films along with GOLDENEYE and CASINO ROYALE. Classic film!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #990179
04/27/20 02:55 PM
04/27/20 02:55 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
THE NARROW MARGIN (1952)

I watched this little (70 min.) film noir because it stars Marie Windsor, my Favorite Femme Fatale of the Fabulous Fifties (she and Sterling Hayden are the two whose movies I'll never pass up). She plays the widow of Frankie Neall, a big time mobster, who's on her way by train from Chicago to LA to testify before a grand jury. She's being guarded by LAPD Det. Sgt. Walter Brown (Charles McGraw), who knows that other mobsters are on that train, planning to kill her. Windsor is at her hard-boiled best and gets most of the many snappy lines in the script. (You thought Eileen Brennan wrote the book on Tough Dames? She's a den mother compared to Windsor.) McGraw is just as hard-boiled and plays his part convincingly with his gravelly voice and bent nose (he was a boxer), looking like a cross between Kirk Douglas and real-life tough guy Lawrence Tierney. Filming is brilliant in the deliberately claustrophobic confines of a train, and the supporting cast, especially Jacqueline White as a seemingly innocent mother, is superb. There are plenty of surprises and twists in the story. But, the plot is too improbable to be convincing--starting with having only one cop guarding a critical witness, and all the times that Brown abandons Neall to generate dramatic situations. I liked it a lot, but it's still a B-movie.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Page 55 of 91 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull