GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 129 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,712
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,280
Posts1,057,756
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Italian cinema is starting to glamorize the mafia #985960
02/06/20 05:02 AM
02/06/20 05:02 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Italian cinema is starting to glamorize the mafia [Re: Hollander] #986005
02/07/20 07:13 AM
02/07/20 07:13 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
This whole “glamorization” argument is nothing more that academic mumbo jumbo used by academics to justify their jobs. I should know. I was part of that world for many years.

Anti-discrimination articles sell well. Whether it’s Italian-Americans, blacks, blue collar whites form West Virginia, Jews or whoever...

Like it or not, mobsters are humans. They can crack jokes, dress well and still have your entire family killed in a giffy. They can be attractive and handsome or dress trashy and be grossly ugly.

The Mafia is a multi-layered and complex criminal subculture. That’s why it’s so effective. You have the white collar guys who perfectly blend in among bankers and politicians as well as street goons and bruisers. They’re all needed in order for the whole conspiracy to work.

Vito Corleone was shown as a well-spoken, soft-mannered patriarch. So was Carlo Gambino and many others.

Luca Brasi could barely speak English and was simply a wall of muscles. So were/are Vince Filipelli and John Alite. So that was also accurate.

When Joe Pesci got his head blown off as Tommy DeVito, I wasn’t exactly thinking “yeah, that’s how I wanna go out!”.

I challenge anyone to watch the final scene of “The Traitor” where all mobsters arrested during the big trials of the ‘90s are shown through the CCTV system of the maxi-security prison they’re rotting in. They’re all loosing their minds. It looks like they’re mental patients housed in an asylum. Some strip down naked and cry, others scream, or talk to themselves like mad hobos. It’s an extremely unsettling scene. It truly gets you.

Point being, watching an episode of the Sopranos won’t turn you into a sociopath UNLESS you’re a sociopath or have sociopathic tendencies in the first place. Because every single movie/TV series I’ve watched in my life on/about the mob had plenty of horrific things that would make the average sane person stir away from that life.

These college “thinkers” focus too much on the fictional and not at all on reality. To cut them some slack they can’t focus on contemporary North American LCN because they’re afraid of being accused of racism and stereotyping. Rightfully so. I was called a racist and an “anti-Italian” Italian for bringing up the current Canadian Mafia war and its connections to NYC mob hierarchies and Italian crime families during an Italian-American Studies class.

I apologize for this rant, but the memories of countless discussions about this very topic with obnoxious professors, TAs and post-grad researchers are still fresh into my mind.

Re: Italian cinema is starting to glamorize the mafia [Re: Hollander] #986046
02/08/20 08:03 AM
02/08/20 08:03 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Good points it was the same with Scarface, The Godfather or a movie like Heat, they highly influenced criminals in real life. But you can not blame the Art.

Re: Italian cinema is starting to glamorize the mafia [Re: Hollander] #986072
02/08/20 08:34 PM
02/08/20 08:34 PM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Life imitating art imitating life..

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull