GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 112 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,703
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,707
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My grandfather is Augustine Riolo #981745
11/28/19 07:57 AM
11/28/19 07:57 AM
A
ARiolo Offline OP
Associate
ARiolo  Offline OP
A
Associate
AR

Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: ARiolo] #981813
11/29/19 06:47 AM
11/29/19 06:47 AM
N
Neo Offline
Underboss
Neo  Offline
N
Underboss
What family/crew did he run with?

Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: ARiolo] #981816
11/29/19 08:06 AM
11/29/19 08:06 AM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
I think its Buffalo crime family, but we had a lot of these guys with "inside" info and that are connected somehow.

"A fish with his mouth closed never get's caught"
Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: Strax] #981855
11/30/19 03:45 AM
11/30/19 03:45 AM
N
Neo Offline
Underboss
Neo  Offline
N
Underboss
Originally Posted by Strax
I think its Buffalo crime family, but we had a lot of these guys with "inside" info and that are connected somehow.

Right, got it.

Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: ARiolo] #981883
11/30/19 04:06 PM
11/30/19 04:06 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Wrong member.
Not much information on Agustine Riolo. Made in the 1950s and retired around the time of Pasquale Turrigiano death and many members were jailed. Part of Anthony Guarnieri crew before joining Ignatius Cannone crew. Was rumored to be strongly involved in labour racketeering, driver for both Connone and Remo Allio.
Remo Allio, was the Bufalino family lawyer was only a soldier but sat in on important discussion and legal strategies for the family. Last member made by Joe Barbara Snr. Was part of a panel when Bufalino went to prison, but only for awhile, when the power went directly to Ed Sciandra and Phil Medico for the Pittston faction.

Last edited by Giacomo_Vacari; 11/30/19 05:50 PM. Reason: Wrong info

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: ARiolo] #981891
11/30/19 05:08 PM
11/30/19 05:08 PM
A
ARiolo Offline OP
Associate
ARiolo  Offline OP
A
Associate
Yes it was the Bufalino crime family. From what I understand grandpa was a solider and uncle remo was consigliere.

Last edited by ARiolo; 11/30/19 05:19 PM.
Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #981895
11/30/19 05:28 PM
11/30/19 05:28 PM
A
ARiolo Offline OP
Associate
ARiolo  Offline OP
A
Associate
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Bufalino crime family member, Pennsylvania faction member. His capo was either Aldo Magnelli, James Osticco, Angelo Sciandra or Salvatore Saraceno. Made in the mid 1950s, was close to those above as well as William Meringola, John Parente, Nick Benfante, Jack Parisi, Casper Guimento, Samuel DeBella, Joseph Genovese, Angelo Bufalino, Samuel Scalleat, Michael Carsia, and Samuel Insalaco. Was a family enforcer with Samuel DeBalla, gambler, bookie, and a rackets guy. Retired in the early or mid 1980s.

This is really helpful! I have never heard a lot of this. How did you have all this info? And is there anything on uncle Remo?

Thank you

Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: ARiolo] #981921
11/30/19 11:26 PM
11/30/19 11:26 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted by ARiolo
Bufalino crime family member, Pennsylvania faction member. His capo was either Aldo Magnelli, James Osticco, Angelo Sciandra or Salvatore Saraceno. Made in the mid 1950s, was close to those above as well as William Meringola, John Parente, Nick Benfante, Jack Parisi, Casper Guimento, Samuel DeBella, Joseph Genovese, Angelo Bufalino, Samuel Scalleat, Michael Carsia, and Samuel Insalaco. Was a family enforcer with Samuel DeBalla, gambler, bookie, and a rackets guy. Retired in the early or mid 1980s.

This is really helpful! I have never heard a lot of this. How did you have all this info? And is there anything on uncle Remo?

Thank you

Do you have any photos you can post and share?

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: DuesPaid] #981924
12/01/19 08:13 AM
12/01/19 08:13 AM
A
ARiolo Offline OP
Associate
ARiolo  Offline OP
A
Associate
Yes. I’m in Italy right now but I will try to post when I return.

Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #981954
12/01/19 09:05 PM
12/01/19 09:05 PM
NEPA and now Fla
J
Jshov31 Offline
Retired Capo
Jshov31  Offline
Retired Capo
J
Made Member
NEPA and now Fla
Wrong member.
Not much information on Agustine Riolo. Made in the 1950s and retired around the time of Pasquale Turrigiano death and many members were jailed. Part of Anthony Guarnieri crew before joining Ignatius Cannone crew. Was rumored to be strongly involved in labour racketeering, driver for both Connone and Remo Allio.
Remo Allio, was the Bufalino family lawyer was only a soldier but sat in on important discussion and legal strategies for the family. Last member made by Joe Barbara Snr. Was part of a panel when Bufalino went to prison, but only for awhile, when the power went directly to Ed Sciandra and Phil Medico for the Pittston faction.

Spot on Giacomo!!! I can also help with this Ariolo. If there is anything specific you are looking for lmk.

Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: ARiolo] #982058
12/03/19 03:23 PM
12/03/19 03:23 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Yo GC, I'm gonna speak for the whole group and say tell us more.

If the Bufalinos had a whole Pittston faction, doesn't that mean the other faction was southern New York? Or were they even more varied than that?

Who were the heavyweights in the family? What can you tell us about guys like James Osticco, who apparently was Underboss, and Dominick Alaimo, who I once read the family plotted to kill?

Was Rusell an effective boss? It's so rare we get talk about the Bufalinos on this forum and with the Irishman coming out come on, we all want to know.

Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: Jshov31] #982076
12/03/19 08:24 PM
12/03/19 08:24 PM
A
ARiolo Offline OP
Associate
ARiolo  Offline OP
A
Associate
Originally Posted by Jshov31
Wrong member.

Spot on Giacomo!!! I can also help with this Ariolo. If there is anything specific you are looking for lmk.

I’m sure there is something I am looking for but I can’t put my finger on it just yet. Yes the movie coming out is the reason this is all coming up now. And also peeks my interest into the subject. i really appreciate everyone’s help. I too will try to answer any questions that anyone has.

Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: ARiolo] #982218
12/06/19 07:16 AM
12/06/19 07:16 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Dominick Alaimo was a capo and nephew to Joe Barbara Sr. He was a powerful Capo in the Pittston area. The discussion and conspiracy to kill Alaimo happened around 1964 or 1965. Members of the family thought he was informing, but it was an unknown associate close to Alaimo that was, but there was also jealousy towards Dominick from some of the family. The Feds got wind of this and informed him about it for 2 reasons, one his life was in danger and they were obliged to warn him and protect him if neccessary and two, they were hoping he would flipped. He was saved by both Joseph Saraceno who was the underboss from 1966 till he died in 1975, then Edward Sciandra became underboss, and Emanuel Zicari who was a powerful capo and possibly the Consigliere at the time. Alaimo was spared but broken down to a soldier till he died around the same time as James Osticco died.

When Joe Barbara became boss he moved near Endicott NY in the early 1940s. He was originally with the Buffalo crime family before moving to Pittston in the late 1920s. When he moved to Sothern New York he brought in two guys from Buffalo, Anthony Guarnieri and Emanuel Zicari, Zicari was made, but Guarnieri was not made until after WW2 was over. These two helped expanded and maintain Barbara hold on Southern New York. Barbara was boss, John Sciandra was not killed as many believe and was underboss til he died in 1949. Rosario Bufalino became underboss. From 1931 till 1959 the family had no Consigliere.
Barbara died in 1959 and Bufalino was named boss. Joseph Saraceno was named underboss, Santo Volpe lived until 1957 or 1958 and was a mentor to Rosario, Bufalino picked Saraceno cause he was valuable mentor and would help Bufalino from making terrible mistakes, plus Saraceno was a brother in law to Volpe. He choose someone in New York to be the Consigliere. Phil Medico is a close confidant of Russell who took over the Alaimo crew.

Fast forward to when Bufalino goes to prison the first time. Ed Sciandra is underboss but becomes acting boss, James Osticco is a capo gets bumped up to underboss, and Ignatius Cannone is a capo gets bumped up to Consigliere when Emanuel Zicari dies. William D'Elia sister married James Osticco son. Pasquale Turrigiano is named Capo of Zicari old crew, and Louis Marconi is named capo of the Cannone crew. Bufalino gets out and makes William D'Elia in 1984 along with one more new member to the family. 1950s they had 42 active made members, 6 or 7 inactive and another 4 members from different families living in those areas. By 1989 they had 29 made members, only 20 active or semi active, and 8 to 9 members from different families in those areas.

The heavyweights in the family by 1980 were, Ed Sciandra, James Osticco, Ignatius Cannone, Angelo Bufalino, Angelo Sciandra, Phil Medico, Anthony Guarnieri, Salvatore Saraceno, Pasquale Turrigiano, Aldo Magnelli and Angelo Son.

James Osticco became a capo in 1955 when he took over Stefano Latorre crew when Barbara shelved him, but Russell would unshelve him. Latorre would be active until he retired in 1966. He was a vicious mobster. He ran Teamsters Local 326 in Wilmington DE, and used its funds as his personal piggy bank and launch pad to other illegal and legal ventures. He had a solid relationship with the Colombos.
Ed Sciandra power really took off when he became acting boss and made a fortune from a record company he bought signing artists. This allowed him to get close to both Fat Tony, and Tony Ducks in New York. When Bufalino died, he retired and left the family to William D'Elia. Sciandra was always loyal to Bufalino.
Ignatius Cannone had strong connections to the Bonanno, Colombo, and Gambino crime families.
Tony Guarnieri was all over Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Florida. He was a force to he recorded with, twice he was offered a administration position, but turned it down to remain a capo since he needed to be hands on with businesses he was running for the family to come to Pittston and Souther New York every time and to run the family.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: My grandfather is Augustine Riolo [Re: ARiolo] #982286
12/07/19 06:02 PM
12/07/19 06:02 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Joseph Saraceno became underboss around 1966.

Tony Guarnieri had control of Teamsters local 506.

Members from other families that transferred to the Bufalino crime family.
Joseph Barbara Sr, former member of Buffalo.
Rosario Bufalino, former associate of Buffalo.
Giuseppe Galante, early member to the Bonanno crime family.
Frank Vultaggio, early member to the Bonanno crime family.
John Parente, former associate to Philadelphia.
Charles Gelso Sr, early member of the Genovese crime family.
Bartolo Guccia, former associate to Detroit, made along with Remo Allio in 1958.
Anthony Guarnieri, former associate with Buffalo.
Aldo Magnelli, former associate of Philadelphia.
Dominick Alaimo, former member of Buffalo. Nephew to Joseph Barbara Sr.
Jack Parisi, former member of the Gambino crime family. Related to Vincent Mangano.
Joseph Pinto, former member of Buffalo.
Joseph Genovese, former member of Buffalo.
Rosario Farulla, former member of Lucchese crime family.
Vincenzo Coppola, former member to both Bonanno and Buffalo crime families.
Thomas Sesso Sr, former member of Newark, NJ family.
Samuel Scalleat, former member of Philadelphia.
Emanuel Zicari, former member of Buffalo.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull