GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Lou_Para, 2 invisible), 111 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,715
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,777
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching #968471
04/03/19 07:49 AM
04/03/19 07:49 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968474
04/03/19 07:56 AM
04/03/19 07:56 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968476
04/03/19 07:59 AM
04/03/19 07:59 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

It's kind of like Tony Blair apologising for the famine genocide 128 years after that happened.

The damage has been done!

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968477
04/03/19 08:02 AM
04/03/19 08:02 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

According to a story published in the Washington Post, on March 14, 1891, a crowd of 8,000 assembled on New Orleans' Canal Street, "almost filling up the large space from curb to curb on each side of the boulevard." The crowd, possessed by an "ungovernable" fury, had guns and arrived at the parish prison at 10:30 that night. Prison guards let the mob into the prison, where they eventually found the Italian prisoners. "The shotguns belched forth and the slayers of Hennessy fell dead in their tracks," the story says.

Did these people kill Hennessy or were they wrongfully accused?

The article doesn't make it very clear.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968488
04/03/19 10:35 AM
04/03/19 10:35 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Victims
Edit
The following people were lynched:[48]

Antonio Bagnetto, fruit peddler: Tried and acquitted.
James Caruso, stevedore: Not tried.
Loreto Comitis, tinsmith: Not tried.
Rocco Geraci, stevedore: Not tried.
Joseph P. Macheca, fruit importer: Tried and acquitted.
Antonio Marchesi, fruit peddler: Tried and acquitted.
Pietro Monasterio, cobbler: Mistrial.
Emmanuele Polizzi, street vendor: Mistrial.
Frank Romero, ward politician: Not tried.
Antonio Scaffidi, fruit peddler: Mistrial.
Charles Traina, rice plantation laborer: Not tried.
The following people managed to escape lynching by hiding inside the prison:

John Caruso, stevedore: Not tried.
Bastian Incardona, laborer: Tried and acquitted.
Gaspare Marchesi, 14, son of Antonio Marchesi: Tried and acquitted.
Charles Mantranga, labor manager: Tried and acquitted.
Peter Natali, laborer: Not tried.
Charles Pietza (or Pietzo), grocer: Not tried.
Charles Patorno, merchant: Not tried.
Salvatore Sinceri, stevedore: Not tried.
The court and district attorney set the survivors free after the lynching, and dropped the charges against the men who had not yet been tried.[49]

One of the victims, Polizzi, had a police record in the U.S., having reportedly cut a man with a knife in Austin, Texas, several years earlier. Two others had police records in Italy: Geraci had been accused of murder and had fled before he could be tried, and Comitz had been convicted of theft.[50] Incardona was wanted in Italy as a petty criminal.[51]

Three of the men—Comitz, Monasterio, and Traina—had not applied for U.S. citizenship and could still be considered Italian subjects.[52]

Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Moe_Tilden] #968493
04/03/19 11:17 AM
04/03/19 11:17 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
According to a story published in the Washington Post, on March 14, 1891, a crowd of 8,000 assembled on New Orleans' Canal Street, "almost filling up the large space from curb to curb on each side of the boulevard." The crowd, possessed by an "ungovernable" fury, had guns and arrived at the parish prison at 10:30 that night. Prison guards let the mob into the prison, where they eventually found the Italian prisoners. "The shotguns belched forth and the slayers of Hennessy fell dead in their tracks," the story says.

Did these people kill Hennessy or were they wrongfully accused?

The article doesn't make it very clear.

On the evening of October 15, 1890, Hennessy was shot by several gunmen as he walked home from work. Hennessy returned fire and chased his attackers before collapsing. When asked who had shot him, Hennessy reportedly whispered to Captain William O'Connor: "Dagoes." Hennessy was awake in the hospital for several hours after the shooting and spoke to friends but did not name the shooters. The next day, complications set in and he died.

There had been an ongoing feud between the Provenzano and Mantranga families, who were business rivals on the New Orleans waterfront. Hennessy had put several of the Provenzanos in prison, and their appeal trial was coming up. According to some reports, Hennessy had been planning to offer new evidence at the trial to clear the Provenzanos and implicate the Mantrangas. That would mean that the Mantrangas, not the Provenzanos, had a motive for the murder.A policeman, a friend of Hennessy, later testified that Hennessy had told him he had no such plans.In any case, it was widely believed that Hennessy's killers were Italian. Local papers such as the Times-Democrat and the Daily Picayune freely blamed "Dagoes" for the murder.

For me Hennessy was killed by one of his much enemies that used the Matranga-Provenzano war to get away with murder,the fact that Hennessy told his killers "Dagos" doesn't mean nothing,he for sure know that the italian mafia wanted him dead and thinked that the dagoes shoot him.At the end 11 innocent men died because of the bigoted sons of bitches.

Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968494
04/03/19 11:19 AM
04/03/19 11:19 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Thank you, Furio.

Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968496
04/03/19 11:31 AM
04/03/19 11:31 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy
The "irony" is that in 1891 the italians because had a skin more dark than the white wasps was equiparated to the blacks and was lynched because there wasn't considerated white but a race between the whites and the blacks.

Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968497
04/03/19 11:38 AM
04/03/19 11:38 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

That's interesting because people who're ethnically Italian are considered as white as anybody nowadays.

Irish people, despite sharing the same pigmentation as WASPS, weren't really considered white by the same bigots back in those days. They were often portrayed as "simian" and "ape" like in contemporary political cartoons, much the same way blacks would be; considered a lower race than WASPS.

Irish people were also called "white ni**ers" sometimes and blacks were called "smoked Irish".

Check the verse in the song "Oliver's Army" by Elvis Costello referring to British occupation in Northern Ireland.

There was a Checkpoint Charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile
Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white ni**er

Kind of a shared history Irish and Italians have in that regard, having entered the US in droves at the same time and encountered the same suspicion and hostility.

Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Moe_Tilden] #968508
04/03/19 12:48 PM
04/03/19 12:48 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
That's interesting because people who're ethnically Italian are considered as white as anybody nowadays.

Irish people, despite sharing the same pigmentation as WASPS, weren't really considered white by the same bigots back in those days. They were often portrayed as "simian" and "ape" like in contemporary political cartoons, much the same way blacks would be; considered a lower race than WASPS.

Irish people were also called "white ni**ers" sometimes and blacks were called "smoked Irish".

Check the verse in the song "Oliver's Army" by Elvis Costello referring to British occupation in Northern Ireland.

There was a Checkpoint Charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile
Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white ni**er

Kind of a shared history Irish and Italians have in that regard, having entered the US in droves at the same time and encountered the same suspicion and hostility.

Yes Moe but the italians was treated worst because like I said had dark skin,don't speak the english (like the irishs) but various dialects and until the WWII the italians prefer to stay in the little italies;in louisiana in 1928 an italian woman can testify because the judge wanted to understand if she was white or not,even Nixon said that the italians "had a different smell" and there was an irish president,son of white collar criminal,elected thanks to the mob when when there will be a POTUS with an italian ancestry?

Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: furio_from_naples] #968544
04/03/19 03:55 PM
04/03/19 03:55 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
The "irony" is that in 1891 the italians because had a skin more dark than the white wasps was equiparated to the blacks and was lynched because there wasn't considerated white but a race between the whites and the blacks.

LoL, equiparated. You just introduce a new word to the english dictionary.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968587
04/04/19 06:31 AM
04/04/19 06:31 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy
Originally Posted by BlackFamily

BlackFamily the english isnt my first language and I confused equiparati (equated) con equiparated. I hope that
despite the grammatical error, you understood what I wanted to say.

Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: furio_from_naples] #968591
04/04/19 09:41 AM
04/04/19 09:41 AM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
Originally Posted by BlackFamily

BlackFamily the english isnt my first language and I confused equiparati (equated) con equiparated. I hope that
despite the grammatical error, you understood what I wanted to say.

I know Furio and it was new to me. Had to look it up later and alot of social / culture conflicts went on in that timeframe.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968595
04/04/19 10:19 AM
04/04/19 10:19 AM
A
Andragathia Offline
Made Member
Andragathia  Offline
A
Made Member
Hey black, respect that you recognize that Italians were discriminated against. My wish is that we are not lumped in with other ethnicities and considered white. That our Latin heritage would be acknowledged by America and our base language is over 50% of English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian and many more.

Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Andragathia] #968702
04/05/19 12:10 PM
04/05/19 12:10 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
Originally Posted by Andragathia
Hey black, respect that you recognize that Italians were discriminated against. My wish is that we are not lumped in with other ethnicities and considered white. That our Latin heritage would be acknowledged by America and our base language is over 50% of English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian and many more.

This is America. Ever since the introduction of 'Race' as a social/cultural identity construct , it's been broad and mischewed. This country won't ever let it go and acknowledge ethnicity instead which is ( imo) more accurate reflection of a cultural group.

- African Proverb
Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: BlackFamily] #968729
04/05/19 05:06 PM
04/05/19 05:06 PM
A
Andragathia Offline
Made Member
Andragathia  Offline
A
Made Member
You are right. Too broad. But I think we are starting to identify ethnicities more and when we value things we all have in common instead of our differences we will be better Americans. Take care of yourself Black. And your neighbor's.

Last edited by Andragathia; 04/05/19 05:09 PM.
Re: 128 years later, NOLA is apologizing for lynching [Re: Hollander] #968744
04/05/19 08:29 PM
04/05/19 08:29 PM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

The boss Charlie Matranga, born in 1857, was very lucky first tried and acquitted then escaping the massacre. Died in his 80s..

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull