GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Irishman12, RushStreet, TheKillingJoke), 86 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,184
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 42 of 45 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #935681
03/31/18 08:44 PM
03/31/18 08:44 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Online shocked
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Online Shocked
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
[Linked Image]

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

Author David Maguire does a great job at looking past the unpleasantness of this film and give's a thought-provoking book about the many ways this film can be viewed: as pure exploitation, as a feminist film, as a tantalizing male fantasy, or as social commentary that some men of the time were feeling threatened by independent, sexually confident women after the wave of feminism that came during the 1960s & 1970s. It also discusses how the film was marketed, banned/censored in some countries (in the UK during the 1980s for example during the "video nasties" period) and even at times retitled to avoid censorship (the film has been known under other titles such as DAY OF THE WOMAN, I HATE YOUR GUTS and THE RAPE AND REVENGE OF JENNIFER HILL). While the film and book deal with this uneasy subject, I feel they both ask society important questions about rape. During the time the film was made, victims of rape were still being blamed based upon what they wore, how they acted, what part of town she was in, etc. The book also deals with its legacy and how it was a trailblazer for the rape-revenge subgenre as well as the remake and sequels its sparked in recent years (the remake was made in 2010, with the first sequel coming in 2013 and the second sequel in 2015). Rumor has it the director of the original, Meir Zarchi, is actually making and releasing an official sequel this year to commemorate the release of the original entitled: I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE: DEJA VU.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #936979
04/10/18 06:07 PM
04/10/18 06:07 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
Just finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho really good read definitely recommend

The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.
Walter Sobchak: You mean... beyond pacifism?

Walter Sobchak: This guy f*cking walks. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #937326
04/15/18 10:09 AM
04/15/18 10:09 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Currently enjoying Bazaar of Bad Dreams, a collection of short stories by Stephen King.

So far, I'm almost halfway through and the good is outweighing the bad.

My favourite so far is "Bad Little Kid", a very disturbing and thought-provoking read which rises to a crescendo and maintains its excellence right through to the finish.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #939555
05/10/18 06:49 PM
05/10/18 06:49 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I'm broadening my horizons and reading something that isn't Stephen King/John Grisham/Michael Connelly/Dennis Lehane.

It's Drama City by George Pelecanos, who wrote on The Wire.

60 pages in and so far, so good, with scope to get better.

It's kind of like Carlito's Way with a black guy, I think, though I haven't got into the meat of the story yet.

An ex con gone straight who may or may not be dragged off the straight and narrow by events involving the crew he used to run with.

You get hints of The Wire, though there's no great social commentary, like in the Lehane (also wrote on The Wire) or Connelly books.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #947606
07/21/18 03:54 PM
07/21/18 03:54 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
[Linked Image]

IT

The second time I've powered through this thing and it's still the longest book I've ever read (although at some point I need to make time to read THE STAND). Having recently rewatched the 2017 version of the film, it got me in the mood again to dive into the book. There's so much history to the Pennywise/It character that I'd love to one day see this turned into a television series. Also, I'm not usually a fan of the story continuously bouncing back and forth between present day and the past, however, it worked for me with this novel. Some juicy nuggets of information are found out about the It character in terms of his history, how long he's been around and such. Definitely one of my favorite Stephen King novels although I must be honest, I haven't read much of his work. Not for lack of interest, but rather time. In addition to THE STAND, I'd also like to read NEEDFUL THINGS, CARRIE, THE SHINING (again) and THE DARK TOWER series. If you're a fan of either of the movies and haven't read this, I would suggest to as it's a rewarding read.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #947613
07/21/18 04:21 PM
07/21/18 04:21 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I'm on a real Pelecanos kick lately.

Currently reading "Soul Circus", third in the Strange/Quinn series.

I love their back-and-forths over racial issues in the predominantly black setting of Washington.

It's not sugarcoated and you can see where both Strange (black) and Quinn (white) are coming from.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #947678
07/22/18 01:39 AM
07/22/18 01:39 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally Posted by Irishman12
[Linked Image]

IT

The second time I've powered through this thing and it's still the longest book I've ever read (although at some point I need to make time to read THE STAND). Having recently rewatched the 2017 version of the film, it got me in the mood again to dive into the book. There's so much history to the Pennywise/It character that I'd love to one day see this turned into a television series. Also, I'm not usually a fan of the story continuously bouncing back and forth between present day and the past, however, it worked for me with this novel. Some juicy nuggets of information are found out about the It character in terms of his history, how long he's been around and such. Definitely one of my favorite Stephen King novels although I must be honest, I haven't read much of his work. Not for lack of interest, but rather time. In addition to THE STAND, I'd also like to read NEEDFUL THINGS, CARRIE, THE SHINING (again) and THE DARK TOWER series. If you're a fan of either of the movies and haven't read this, I would suggest to as it's a rewarding read.

One of his best books, i don't normally read non fiction but i read this in only a couple of days while working in Australia back in 06,love the original film also.. I don't remember a great deal about the about remember enjoying it. I've also read The Shining, a bit different to the film, excellent book also..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #947731
07/22/18 02:12 PM
07/22/18 02:12 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
"Chasing Hillary" by Amy Chozick, a NY Times reporter who covered Hillary during the '16 campaign. It's mostly about herself, the press corps and Hillary's handlers, trying to manage the media. She's a fine writer with many astute observations and plenty of rapier wit.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #947733
07/22/18 02:23 PM
07/22/18 02:23 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Online content
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Online Content
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted by DE NIRO
[Linked Image]

IT

One of his best books, i don't normally read non fiction but i read this in only a couple of days while working in Australia back in 06,love the original film also.. I don't remember a great deal about the about remember enjoying it. I've also read The Shining, a bit different to the film, excellent book also..

"It" is non-fiction?? eek

Now I'm really scared! panic

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Signor Vitelli] #947785
07/22/18 07:07 PM
07/22/18 07:07 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Signor Vitelli
Originally Posted by DE NIRO
[Linked Image]

IT

"It" is non-fiction?? eek

Now I'm really scared! panic

Signor V.

lol I think you're good Signor V. DE NIRO misspoke. It's fiction wink

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #948984
08/02/18 08:27 AM
08/02/18 08:27 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
Anybody read the Gotti Tapes? I read the preview on Google. A brief intro and some dialogue that followed. Does the full story interpret the dialogue? I don't get why they have thirteen months of recordings and all we hear are the same few cuts over and over again.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #949071
08/03/18 11:08 AM
08/03/18 11:08 AM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Just heard James Patterson is coming out with a Western Series of books.

Not a Patterson. Fan but may check this out, I really only read non-fiction but a good Western may be nice for a Winter Read.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #959593
12/14/18 08:26 PM
12/14/18 08:26 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Reading Tattoos and Tequila by Vince Neil and I'm at the point where the passenger of his car dies and two people in another car are horrifically injured in a high speed car crash while drink driving.

Already by this point he nonchalantly mentions punching a woman in the face in a bar and brags about being a coke dealer; also moans about getting a girl pregnant and having a son while still in High School, a child who never lived with him - raised instead by his Grandparents.

Charming fella.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Moe_Tilden] #959675
12/16/18 03:21 AM
12/16/18 03:21 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Reading Tattoos and Tequila by Vince Neil and I'm at the point where the passenger of his car dies and two people in another car are horrifically injured in a high speed car crash while drink driving.

Already by this point he nonchalantly mentions punching a woman in the face in a bar and brags about being a coke dealer; also moans about getting a girl pregnant and having a son while still in High School, a child who never lived with him - raised instead by his Grandparents.

Charming fella.

Charming fella.
Where did u get this book Moe?

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #959687
12/16/18 10:35 AM
12/16/18 10:35 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

It's on Archive.org, Hoodlum.

Currently reading The Dirt, also about Motley Crue.

Reading the stories in these books makes me ashamed to like their music. Truly awful people.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Moe_Tilden] #959701
12/16/18 03:56 PM
12/16/18 03:56 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
It's on Archive.org, Hoodlum.

Currently reading The Dirt, also about Motley Crue.

Reading the stories in these books makes me ashamed to like their music. Truly awful people.
thanx Moe ….Read Nikki Six's book..its more about how he changed his life around & is now clean & sober..not a bad read.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #959703
12/16/18 04:17 PM
12/16/18 04:17 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
I finished reading Life Keith Richards again right after Thanksgiving for a third time. I highly recommend that book.

Currently I am read The Odyssey by Homer.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #964276
02/19/19 12:00 PM
02/19/19 12:00 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
IT FOLLOWS

Another addition to my running collection of Devil's Advocates series. Seriously, this series is a must for any horror fan looking for an interesting and thought provoking film analysis. This was on the lighter side of the collection, coming in at just 90 pages, but still thoughtful nonetheless. I recently rewatched the film again before reading this and I still love it. The film works as a straight forward entity tracking down those who are next on its list. Or there are a lot of subtext in terms of sex, maturity, the entity, lack of parental oversight as well as other topics that can be unpacked.

Attached Files 9781911325581.jpg
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #966764
03/16/19 08:45 PM
03/16/19 08:45 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
SCREAM

Very disappointed in this book. SCREAM is not only my favorite horror movie of all-time, it's one of my favorite overall films of all-time. I enjoy the Devil's Advocate series for their film analysis and perspectives on some of the films within this genre. However, this is probably the first I've read in the series that actually denigrates the film it's reviewing/critiquing. I understand and respect criticisms, however, I'm surprised that Devil's Advocate went with this author and review as it mostly dismisses SCREAM within the horror genre. Furthermore, not much analysis of the film was given; but rather, chapters were devoted to director Wes Craven, the period it was released in, as well as the marketing of the film. Not very much of a page turner IMO and again, as this film is so near and dear to my heart, this was a very disappointing read.

Attached Files 11111.jpg
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #966775
03/16/19 08:58 PM
03/16/19 08:58 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Never heard of the Devil's Advocate series. What other kind of films do they review? Is it like academic style analysis or more light-hearted stuff?

Read The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos. Very good.

Read The Last Juror by John Grisham. A pedestrian read that never really got going. Which is disappointing, because the reviews and synopsis made it sound like it was going to be better than it was.

Currently reading KISS and make-up by Gene Simmons. A third of the way in and it's pretty good. Gene's a straight talking, no holds barred kind of guy with an interesting world view. He's also not afraid to talk shit about his bandmates, particularly Peter Criss, which is getting pretty funny.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Moe_Tilden] #966780
03/16/19 09:03 PM
03/16/19 09:03 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Never heard of the Devil's Advocate series. What other kind of films do they review? Is it like academic style analysis or more light-hearted stuff?

The Devil's Advocate series exclusively reviews horror films and I would say it's more light-hearted stuff. Most books are about 120 pages each, which I find to be light for film analysis/review. Still not a bad series if you're in to the horror genre.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #966784
03/16/19 09:05 PM
03/16/19 09:05 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

The Devil's Advocate series exclusively reviews horror films and I would say it's more light-hearted stuff. Most books are about 120 pages each, which I find to be light for film analysis/review. Still not a bad series if you're in to the horror genre.

Will check it out. Thanks.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Moe_Tilden] #966804
03/16/19 10:02 PM
03/16/19 10:02 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

Will check it out. Thanks.

No problem and enjoy! They still have some books I need to get. I only have 4 so far: HALLOWEEN, IT FOLLOWS, SCREAM, and SUSPIRIA.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #966858
03/17/19 06:59 AM
03/17/19 06:59 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The Troop by Nick Cutter.
King wrote that this book was old school horror that scared the hell out of him. Based on that blurb and other people's ravings about the book I decided to give it a read. While reading this book I couldn't help but think back to Cronenberg films such as They Came From Within or The Fly. The Troop is body horror at its finest. I'm interested in reading other works by the author now. Canadian Scoutmaster Tim Riggs and his five teen Boy Scouts are on a wilderness camping trip to a small deserted island, one that will allow Riggs' charges a chance to put their outdoors skills to the test and of course gain more scouting patches.On the first night of the troop's trip to Falstaff Island a sick man who is almost skeletal and very hungry shows up and joins them. As a doctor, Riggs feels compelled to try to assist the man. That proves to be an unwise move. If you don't like gore or body horror this is very much not the book for you.

The difference between this story and similar gory tales in a crowded marketplace is that the author, like King, makes some very realistic, if not always sympathetic, characters. You care about what happens to the troop. This wasn't a short book but it was one which was hard to put down.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #967691
03/24/19 09:05 PM
03/24/19 09:05 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I'm reading Madison and his struggle for the Bill of Rights by Richard Labunski

Despite what some consider to be the travesty of current politics, it's nothing new. Madison incurred the same wrath and vitriol as today's elected officials.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #967701
03/25/19 04:49 AM
03/25/19 04:49 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Just finished reading The Stand by Stephen King. This is his best work in my opinion and my favorite. I still remember reading it for the first time, and it was the cold flue at the time I was reading it, and all of a sudden two people at the table behind who had the cold sneezed. I was only halfway into the book, and that moment frightened me when they did that. That is a strong memory of mine that is etched and perhaps plays significantly to me saying it his best work. Right now I think I will go classical and read Treasure Island, or Dracula.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #967739
03/25/19 01:22 PM
03/25/19 01:22 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Just finished reading The Stand by Stephen King. This is his best work in my opinion and my favorite. I still remember reading it for the first time, and it was the cold flue at the time I was reading it, and all of a sudden two people at the table behind who had the cold sneezed. I was only halfway into the book, and that moment frightened me when they did that. That is a strong memory of mine that is etched and perhaps plays significantly to me saying it his best work. Right now I think I will go classical and read Treasure Island, or Dracula.

I've owned THE STAND for a couple of years now (it was given to me as a gift). I'd like to read it as I didn't see all of the mini-series that came out in the 1990's. I read IT last year for a second time and loved it. It's just these books require so much time to go through.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #967880
03/27/19 07:12 AM
03/27/19 07:12 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
November Road by Lou Berney

In November 1963 Frank Guidry is a sybaritic low level associate/fixer for the New Orleans mob. When the boss, Carlos Marcello (via cut outs) asks Frank for a favor in Dallas, Frank does it with no questions asked. When Carlos asks for Frank to put an old friend on the spot Frank immediately does so. Frank's first concern is always Frank. But when another buddy of Frank's gets the dirt nap, Frank starts asking around to see what these men had in common. And when Frank is directed to do another favor for Carlos and stay in a particular hotel he realizes that Carlos is cleaning house after the events in Dallas. Frank runs for his life, trying to get to Vegas to make a deal with the only man he knows with the power and interest to make Carlos back off.

Charlotte is an Oklahoma woman with two daughters and a loser alcoholic of a husband. Charlotte is tired of being the primary provider and caregiver. She's tired of the condescension from her in-laws when she has to ask for money. Charlotte is inspired by the burgeoning civil rights/women's rights movements. Impulsively she decides to take her children and move to Los Angeles to pursue her dreams of photography and journalism.

Running into Charlotte on the road, Frank selfishly figures that he's better off traveling with Charlotte and her daughters as presumably Carlos' people are looking for a single man. He doesn't expect to get feelings for her though. Charlotte is naive and a little affection starved but she's far from stupid. Her questions and presumptions both challenge and shame Frank. One of Marcello's most relentless hitmen is after Frank.

This is not really a mob novel despite the setting. It's a road novel. It's about personal growth, love, regret, and male assumption of female inferiority/incompetence. It is a good read.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #968499
04/03/19 12:02 PM
04/03/19 12:02 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
A Higher Call by Adam Makos. It's the story of a German WW2 fighter pilot that comes across a B-17 that is badly damaged and instead of shooting it down, escorts it through the anti aircraft fire and sends it off to England. It tells about the background of the pilots and the bomber crew, and continues into their lives after the war and their eventual meeting. Good read and a compelling story about honor among the pilots.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #972893
06/10/19 08:03 PM
06/10/19 08:03 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The Border by Don Winslow

In The Border Winslow concludes the story that he started in The Power of the Dog and The Cartel and which he referenced in The Force and Savages. As with those previous stories there are a number of ultra realistic depictions of extreme depraved violence. So if you can't handle those pictures rattling around your head this isn't the book for you. I have seen interviews where the author has addressed concerns (his own and those of others) that by telling what he sees as a true to life story he's also being needlessly gratuitous. The reader will have to make that call. There are a few places where I had to put the book down for a minute and think about some things.

Art Keller, the trilogy's tortured anti-hero DEA agent, has come home from Mexico. Keller made a deal with Adan Barrera, the Sinaloa Cartel boss who tortured and murdered Keller's partner, and who attempted to murder Keller multiple times. There were more violent drug cartels coming up behind Barrera. So reluctantly Keller used Barrera and the ever resourceful and always horny Eddie Ruiz to eliminate the leaders of those organizations and hopefully slow their growth. Unable to forgive his partner's murder and the other various Barrera ordered atrocities, Keller broke his word and murdered Barrera. Keller returns to the US and becomes the head of the DEA. Because of his co-operation, Ruiz serves a short sentence stateside.

Keller discovers that difficult as it is to accept sometimes the devil you know is indeed better than the next man up. The Sinaloa Cartel falls into a civil war while simultaneously battling old rivals and new upstarts. The cartels switch products from cocaine and marijuana to fentanyl and heroin. Keller has put drug dealers/smugglers in the ground and behind bars for decades but he can't help but wonder if war is the wrong framework for America's drug problem. Keller's time in the Big Seat is growing short. A new Administration is forming. And the President-Elect doesn't like Keller sniffing around his son-in-law's real estate deals with Cartel backed banks. Behind the scenes a quiet austere villain manipulates Cartel and Mafia bosses alike while plotting his revenge.Some of the next generation of Cartel leaders find out that they lack the brutality and treachery needed to fill their fathers' roles while other up and comers reach new depths of depravity. A man who loaned a friend his phone is serving triple life sentences for drug conspiracy while the actual drug dealer took a plea deal and has been free for decades. This is close to a Dickens novel in how WInslow adroitly introduces new characters and interweaves them with old favorites, Winslow definitely has a point of view he wants to get across about the drug war, crime and punishment, how the elites of any society only care about money and power, etc but the story is never didactic. Winslow obviously did his research. Invented plot points merge almost seamlessly with events inspired by real life stories. This book will make you think about the compromises and short cuts we all sometimes take for the greater good.

This was just under 700 pages but it's a very quick read. There is some mordant humor, much of which revolves around Eddie Ruiz, aka Crazy Eddie. Ruiz has a very healthy sense of self-preservation and an even healthier sex drive.

Winter is Coming

Page 42 of 45 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull