GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Lenox, RushStreet, Irishman12, 1 invisible), 96 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,182
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mafioso #545244
06/16/09 07:41 PM
06/16/09 07:41 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline OP
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline OP
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Has anybody seen this Italian film from 1962?

It aired on Turner Classic Movies a couple of times - I think the most recent airing was within the last month or so. I would almost call it the Anti-Godfather. A very different look at things from an Italian perspective; very far removed from the American gangster movie. The film starts out as a comedic tale, then veers off into serious drama with a rather unsettling (to me) ending. Alberto Sordi is excellent in the lead.

Filmed in black and white in Italy (with a little bit of location shooting in NYC), this is definitely a film I would recommend.

Anyone else out there want to share an opinion on Mafioso?

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Mafioso [Re: Signor Vitelli] #545250
06/16/09 08:54 PM
06/16/09 08:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome back, Signor V! Always great to hear from you!

I saw "Mafioso" on its first release in 1962, and was blown away by the uniquely Italian approach to the subject: an uproariously funny comedy, but with a somber, sinister--even tragic--subtheme. Only the Italians could bring off that combination (as in Wertmuller's "Pasqualino Settebellizze" some years later).

I never forgot the movie, and tried countless times to get a copy. When it was finally released on DVD last year, I was among the first to order it. It's held up very well. Still recommend it highly.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mafioso [Re: Turnbull] #545315
06/17/09 03:29 PM
06/17/09 03:29 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Underboss
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Thanks for the welcome - I figured that if anyone here had seen this little gem, it would be you, TB! wink

I taped the film when it had its first TCM airing close to a year ago. Then, I noticed they gave it had another showing quite recently, but due to the ongoing problems with my home computer, I couldn't post anything to the BB in time.

Though about 90% of Mafioso was shot in Italy, there was some location filming in NYC toward the end. It was a little strange seeing some parts of New York (not necessarily the "touristy" areas), in gritty black and white, that have long since vanished. I certainly remember those areas, or areas just like them. Brought back some memories, to be sure.

I've read that the DVD release of Mafioso features a nicely restored print; I'm quite certain that this was the same version shown on TCM. The network seems to have changed its Sunday late-night lineup, so I'm not sure if and when it will be shown again. But I'm pretty sure it will eventually get another airing.

Meanwhile, one can always purchase the DVD. (I think that the film's IMDb page has links to Amazon.com.)

But again, I recommend this film to those out there who want to see an excellent and different type of Mob-themed film.

Signor V.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

Re: Mafioso [Re: Signor Vitelli] #545341
06/17/09 09:26 PM
06/17/09 09:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Though about 90% of Mafioso was shot in Italy, there was some location filming in NYC toward the end. It was a little strange seeing some parts of New York (not necessarily the "touristy" areas), in gritty black and white, that have long since vanished. I certainly remember those areas, or areas just like them. Brought back some memories, to be sure.

I believe the barbershop scene was filmed in North Bergen NJ. TCM showed "Mafioso" for the first time as soon as the DVD was released, so I assume the version you taped and the DVD are one and the same.

Re: Mafioso [Re: Turnbull] #545526
06/19/09 06:42 PM
06/19/09 06:42 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Underboss
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
After much searching, I found my tape of Mafioso and looked at the scenes in question.

Of course, you were right.

As a matter of fact, before the barbershop scene there is a quick shot of a street-sweeping truck and on its side the words "North Bergen" are clearly visible. It was obvious from the storyline that the characters were not in NYC anymore, but I cannot figure out why my brain blanked on that point. (Unless I was too busy reading the subtitles.)

Interesting trivia: All the Italian scenes were letterboxed, but the American segment was not - it was full-screen (at least, that's the way it appeared on my TV).

Actually, there are two possible explanations for my North Bergen brain-freeze:

1. Before the barbershop scene, there is a nice shot of an old, classic diner. For me, this would have been an instant distraction. (I wonder if it still exists, and if it does, what it looks like today?)

2. On one streetcorner, there is a place called Jay's Bar. At that point, I doubt I would have noticed anything else.

Signor V.

Re: Mafioso [Re: Signor Vitelli] #549318
07/18/09 07:04 AM
07/18/09 07:04 AM
The US of Frickin A!!!
Tru_Bizelli Offline
Humble Friend of Yours!
Tru_Bizelli  Offline
Humble Friend of Yours!
Made Member
The US of Frickin A!!!
Hi there, sorry I'm obviously not from the same generations as you old-timers! I didn't even know there was a B&W version of "Mafioso". I saw the recent one (in color) and I remember liking it in the sense that it could never compare to "The Godfather", "Goodfellas", etc. BUT NEVERTHELESS I liked it.
But, yeah, as far as the B&W, that wouldn't keep my attention. I was born in 1984 so it took a lot for me to even pick up "The Godfather". Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. I just don't care for movies older than 1984 with the exception of "The Godfather" of course!

~ Woke Up This Morning And Bought Myself A Gun ~
~ Curtis "Ray Biselliano" Bizelli ~
Re: Mafioso [Re: Tru_Bizelli] #556251
09/29/09 06:34 PM
09/29/09 06:34 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Aw Dude.

A Clockwork Orange, Little Ceaser, Chinatown, Taxi Driver, The Wanderers, The Warriors, Mean Streets, Psycho, Once Upon A Time In America, Once Upon A Time In The West, The Blackhand, Raging Bull, The first Star Wars Trilogy, The King of Comedy, Scarface was '83, BladeRunner, Raidrs of the Lost Ark, Mad Max, Apocalypse Now, Deliverance, The Exorcist, Jaws....

Okay, i could go on forever. Sorry to rant a bit, but there are just so, so many great movies. This reminds me of something that happened to me recently. On a quiet Sunday night, i had decided to spend it in the company of old friends the Corleone family. I was just about to sitback and play number one, ready for a few hours of awesomeness, when suddenly a couple of friends rocked round with their partners, wanting to hang out and shit. Anyway, i told them i was doing the Godfather, and was in the mood for it, and i was going to watch it: they were welcome to join me.

By the time we were in Sicily with Appolonia, i was losing it. These assholes obviously weren't into the movie, because by then they were all having fullblown discussions and conversations on everything but the Godfather. What annoyed me the most was not that they didnt like the movie, but that they couldn't admit they just didnt like it. They all claimed to love the Godfather, but it was pretty apparant they had never seen it and just werent interested. Why? Because instead of an effects-driven summer blockbuster of recent years, it was an old movie that relied on great direction, storylines and old fashioned incredible acting.

Nobody wants to admit they dont like the Godfather, because you cant not like the Godfather and still have an opinion worth listening to. Ive noticed the same with Taxi-Driver, Raging Bull and heaps of other classics. Most people just cant get into old movies for that simple fact: their old.

Anyway, i kicked those assholes out and lost myself in numbers 1, 2 and 3.

(cough.)
Re: Mafioso [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #556269
09/29/09 09:16 PM
09/29/09 09:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
They all claimed to love the Godfather, but it was pretty apparant they had never seen it and just werent interested. Why? Because instead of an effects-driven summer blockbuster of recent years, it was an old movie that relied on great direction, storylines and old fashioned incredible acting.

No doubt about that. Leave them to their computer-driven animation. tongue

Quote:
Anyway, i kicked those assholes out and lost myself in numbers 1, 2 and 3.

You came out ahead there! smile

Last edited by Turnbull; 09/29/09 09:16 PM.

Re: Mafioso [Re: Turnbull] #556698
10/07/09 09:09 AM
10/07/09 09:09 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Heh. You know it.

(cough.)
Re: Mafioso [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #578136
07/27/10 01:56 AM
07/27/10 01:56 AM
The US of Frickin A!!!
Tru_Bizelli Offline
Humble Friend of Yours!
Tru_Bizelli  Offline
Humble Friend of Yours!
Made Member
The US of Frickin A!!!
I still cannot find anything on the Black & White Mafioso ... shit, the one I saw from somewhere 90s to early 21st century was Not That Famous. How much worse could it get? OH YEAH, Not being able to find it AT ALL! ;-)

Re: Mafioso [Re: Signor Vitelli] #968100
03/29/19 01:12 PM
03/29/19 01:12 PM
The US of Frickin A!!!
Tru_Bizelli Offline
Humble Friend of Yours!
Tru_Bizelli  Offline
Humble Friend of Yours!
Made Member
The US of Frickin A!!!
I really liked The Godfather because of its direct relation to the ole country and my heritage in Italy, unlike many others like Goodfellas which mostly focuses on NYC / America etc.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull