Saw a few recent articles on Borderland Beat about some new narcomantas being hung in different Mexican states (Michoacán, San Luis Potosi, Jalisco, Sonora, etc.), allegedly with messages from El Mayo, the leader of the Sinaloa Cartel.

Apparently El Mayo, if the banners are to be believed, is trying to align the different cartels together with the "support of the federal government". From one of the banners:

"We welcome dialogue with all the cartels; get in line or we'll put you in line: G.A.M Mayo Zambada ".

Links to the articles:

Alleged "El Mayo" mantas appear asking cartels to negotiate

5 "El Mayo" mantas appear...ge as those in Sonora and other states

Hermosillo Sonora: Narcomantas alledgedly from El Mayo

This is very interesting because none of these banners seem to have been reported in Sinaloa. Jalisco is controlled mostly by the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG), etc. AMLO ran on a platform of ending Mexico's "Kingpin Strategy" and potential amnesty for the cartels. With Chapo out of the way, I wonder if the government went to El Mayo and told him they wouldn't arrest him if he could align the other cartels together in ending the violence of the past 13 or so years.

Honestly, and I may be reading too much into all of this so far, but I believe that *if* that's what is going on, it's the only way Mexico will be able to get control over the violence: Force the cartels to work together, or at least agree to divide up territory. The cartels need a mafia commission, so to speak. The Kingpin Strategy of arresting the top bosses has only led to more violence and bloodshed.

"It wasn't very good parsley to begin with, and then the cat went and peed on it." -Sicilian proverb