GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,190
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #962936
02/01/19 02:10 PM
02/01/19 02:10 PM
NickleCity Offline
Capo
NickleCity  Offline
Capo
@Ciment...Thanks for the article. I hadn't read that before... Here is the Google translation of the section you referenced for those like me who can't read Italian:

The Montreal mafia war currently does not make many victims but remains creeping. And it can explode at anytime. The Violi's had tried to bring the Bonanno family back to Canada but their strategy came to the surface thanks to an undercover agent, who tried to affiliate, so the attempt failed and they were decimated by arrests.

Last edited by NickleCity; 02/01/19 02:33 PM. Reason: Added google translation portion of article Cement referenced.
Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #962937
02/01/19 02:11 PM
02/01/19 02:11 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Anti no idea what sources Scarpo had.

The shooter in the Musitano and Barberi hits was the same somehow there is also a connection to the GTA.

Last edited by Hollander; 02/01/19 02:18 PM.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #962950
02/01/19 03:38 PM
02/01/19 03:38 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...a-underworld-ex-undercover-cop-says.html

Realtor’s murder ‘smells like a power play’ in Hamilton’s Mafia underworld, ex-undercover cop says

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: DanD] #962961
02/01/19 06:37 PM
02/01/19 06:37 PM
Stubbs Offline
Capo
Stubbs  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by DanD
I found this quote interesting from Humphrey's article ..

"Paramedics and police found a man “obviously deceased” inside, Thom said."

Indication to me that the victim knew his killer(s) and trusted them enough to let the killer in or at the very least, open the door.

I mean, the killer could’ve broken in and been waiting inside the house for him to come inside.

Also, the hitman might’ve been there to kill the father, but when the son walked inside decide to take him out instead. It was his parents home right?

"It wasn't very good parsley to begin with, and then the cat went and peed on it." -Sicilian proverb
Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: Ciment] #962962
02/01/19 06:42 PM
02/01/19 06:42 PM
Stubbs Offline
Capo
Stubbs  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by Ciment

@Nickle city

You make a good point, it is not definite that he turned his button.

In my opinion, the fact that he was killed proves that he accepted.

Find below an Italian article written by Antonio Nicaso. He does mention in this article that the Violi's wanted to bring back the Bonanno family back in Canada.

https://www.corrieredellacalabria.i...e-della-ndrangheta-sui-porti-del-canada/

Can you post the translation of the article?

Also, he still may have been involved as an associate, even if he turned down his button. Deosnt mean he wasnt or hadnt been in the streets at all just because he decided not to be made.

Unless he had been entirely legit and was offered a button based on his name along, without having ever put in any work?

"It wasn't very good parsley to begin with, and then the cat went and peed on it." -Sicilian proverb
Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: Stubbs] #962968
02/01/19 07:02 PM
02/01/19 07:02 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

@ Stubbs

This article is protected with some type of wall. It allows you to translate but it does not allow me to copy and paste.

Unless someone on this forum is more computer savvy than I am and can post the translated copy.

Last edited by Ciment; 02/01/19 07:11 PM.
Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: Stubbs] #962969
02/01/19 07:22 PM
02/01/19 07:22 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

Originally Posted by Stubbs

@Nickle city

Find below an Italian article written by Antonio Nicaso. He does mention in this article that the Violi's wanted to bring back the Bonanno family back in Canada.

Can you post the translation of the article?

Also, he still may have been involved as an associate, even if he turned down his button. Deosnt mean he wasnt or hadnt been in the streets at all just because he decided not to be made.

Unless he had been entirely legit and was offered a button based on his name along, without having ever put in any work?

I agree if he were an associate his family enemies would still go after him but why become an associate when you can be made. He said he didn't want the headaches and wanted to make money, an associate usually earns less and has more headaches.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #962970
02/01/19 07:25 PM
02/01/19 07:25 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

In a recent VICE story regarding the murder of Tony Magi in Montreal in late January, John Westlake, a veteran of both the Montreal police force and the RCMP, said that the shift from Montreal to Hamilton is a done deal, stating “[the Montreal murder] doesn’t point to a shift, the shift’s already there—the Hamilton people are back.”

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: Hollander] #962973
02/01/19 07:39 PM
02/01/19 07:39 PM
Stubbs Offline
Capo
Stubbs  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by Hollander
In a recent VICE story regarding the murder of Tony Magi in Montreal in late January, John Westlake, a veteran of both the Montreal police force and the RCMP, said that the shift from Montreal to Hamilton is a done deal, stating “[the Montreal murder] doesn’t point to a shift, the shift’s already there—the Hamilton people are back.”

I thought that Magi was hit because he fell out with the Rizzutos and allegedly was invoved in the hit with Nick Jr? So he was killed by the Rizzuto faction?

The Vice article implies he was killed by the Ndragheta. Here’s the quote:

Like Nicaso, Westlake suspects that this murder is another indicator of the balance of power shifting from Montreal’s Sicilian Mafia to the Hamilton-based Ndrangheta.

“It doesn’t point to a shift, the shift’s already there—the Hamilton people are back,” he explained. “Maybe they want to finish off the Rizzuto people and obviously Tony was a Rizzuto guy.”

Magi’s status as a “Rizzuto guy” is indeed irrefutable.Not only had he been in business with Nick Rizzuto, but he could also be heard speaking directly to Vito Rizzuto, who once governed Montreal’s “consortium” of Italian, Irish, Colombian, and biker gangs, in wiretaps. “The Rizzutos are finished,” Westlake concludes.

Magi had been developing Montreal real estate up until his death, though the criminal shadows of his past may have finally crept up on him. As Antonio Nicaso put it, rather poetically, “In the life of mobsters, blood flows from generation to generation and that does not change, like the world and the sky. Blood calls to blood and blood washes blood.”

Link to Vice article

Also, I thought the Ndrangheta’s power base is Toronto and not Hamilton? Could be the author of this article is just wrong.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: Stubbs] #962976
02/01/19 07:56 PM
02/01/19 07:56 PM
NickleCity Offline
Capo
NickleCity  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by Hollander

I thought that Magi was hit because he fell out with the Rizzutos and allegedly was invoved in the hit with Nick Jr? So he was killed by the Rizzuto faction?

The Vice article implies he was killed by the Ndragheta. Here’s the quote:

Like Nicaso, Westlake suspects that this murder is another indicator of the balance of power shifting from Montreal’s Sicilian Mafia to the Hamilton-based Ndrangheta.

“It doesn’t point to a shift, the shift’s already there—the Hamilton people are back,” he explained. “Maybe they want to finish off the Rizzuto people and obviously Tony was a Rizzuto guy.”

Magi’s status as a “Rizzuto guy” is indeed irrefutable.Not only had he been in business with Nick Rizzuto, but he could also be heard speaking directly to Vito Rizzuto, who once governed Montreal’s “consortium” of Italian, Irish, Colombian, and biker gangs, in wiretaps. “The Rizzutos are finished,” Westlake concludes.

Magi had been developing Montreal real estate up until his death, though the criminal shadows of his past may have finally crept up on him. As Antonio Nicaso put it, rather poetically, “In the life of mobsters, blood flows from generation to generation and that does not change, like the world and the sky. Blood calls to blood and blood washes blood.”

Link to Vice article

Also, I thought the Ndrangheta’s power base is Toronto and not Hamilton? Could be the author of this article is just wrong.

About the Ndrangheta's power base in Hamilton... a lot of people believed Violi/Luppino Musitano to be Ndrangheta, but they may have been LCN all along--especially Luppino.

Also, Don't know if you saw the translation of a relevant portion of Italian language article I typed out cause I couldn't copy and paste. Here it is:

The Montreal mafia war currently does not make many victims but remains creeping. And it can explode at anytime. The Violi's had tried to bring the Bonanno family back to Canada but their strategy came to the surface thanks to an undercover agent, who tried to affiliate, so the attempt failed and they were decimated by arrests.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #962977
02/01/19 08:07 PM
02/01/19 08:07 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Born in 1900 in the village of Oppido in Calabria, Luppino came to Canada in 1955, already a member of an 'Ndrangheta clan in Italy.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: Ciment] #962978
02/01/19 08:39 PM
02/01/19 08:39 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss

@Nickle city

Ciment,

I don't know whether you agree with the part in the article about the Violi brothers wanting to bring back the Bonanno Family to Canada, but if you do, you may or may not now see that there was possible validity to the theory a number of years ago that Desjardins didn't see eye to eye with the Violis, who were likely on Montagna's side -- this theory was discussed by you and me in the other thread. At the time, we were ready to scratch each other's eyes out. Good times. lol

Even after Montagna's murder, the brothers seemed to continue to be supportive of the Bonanno Family's efforts in Canada, whether that was to induct men or increase profits. We know that the brothers collaborated in drug trafficking with at least one Bonanno associate in Canada -- the paid police informant, Vincenzo Morena, whose Bonanno induction ceremony they attended in Hamilton -- and Domenico Violi looked forward to working with Morena and the Bonannos more as a result of being promoted to underboss of the Buffalo Family.

I am not fond of the theory, proposed especially by Italy-based journalists who don't have a clue, that control of the Port of Montreal is the most sought-after prize pursued by Italian crime groups and other crime groups who are into drug trafficking. I have poked holes in the theory many times. The days of cocaine flowing south from Canada to the US are long gone -- the flow has been the other way around for at least 15 to 20 years, possibly longer -- but there is still much money to be made in Canada because the country has so many coke users, especially in Quebec. I know that the Siderno Group in the Greater Toronto Area sees the Port of Halifax as a much more important point of entry for drugs like cocaine (this port is also good for exporting too, an element that the Hells have profitably exploited).

If the 'ndrangheta in the GTA and on the Italian mainland have their eyes set on the Port of Montreal, the more likely reasons would be 1) corruption of port officials, and 2) investments in the construction projects associated with expansion of the port. The Port of Montreal, although it sees less illicit activity than the Port of Vancouver (which is Canada's largest marine gateway), is a feat of modern design and engineering. It is spread out across almost 16 mi. (25 km) of Montreal's southeastern shore. (Most of our American friends and other friends around the world do not realize that Montreal is an island.) It is the largest inland port in the world -- investing here is where the real money is for the 'ndrangheta. Just my two cents.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: Stubbs] #962980
02/01/19 08:54 PM
02/01/19 08:54 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

[quote=DanD]
Also, the hitman might’ve been there to kill the father, but when the son walked inside decide to take him out instead. It was his parents home right?

Good point !

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #962981
02/01/19 09:10 PM
02/01/19 09:10 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
Slain son of Hamilton mobster rejected ‘made’ status: transcript

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/...mobster-rejected-made-status-transcript/

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: Stubbs] #962982
02/01/19 09:23 PM
02/01/19 09:23 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
Originally Posted by DanD
I found this quote interesting from Humphrey's article ..

"Paramedics and police found a man “obviously deceased” inside, Thom said."

Indication to me that the victim knew his killer(s) and trusted them enough to let the killer in or at the very least, open the door.

I mean, the killer could’ve broken in and been waiting inside the house for him to come inside.

The home in which Vince "Cece" Luppino lived is owned by his parents, Rocco and Helen. Rocco and Helen also own the house next door, which is where they live.

The article to which I linked in my post just above indicates that a member of the Luppino family had left Cece just before 3:30 pm -- here's an excerpt from the article:

The killer was captured on surveillance video shortly before 3:30 p.m., just after a family member left Luppino alone, Det. Sgt. Peter Thom said Friday. "It's not coincidental (the killer) had to have been watching the house."

The above quote leads me to dismiss the theory that Cece's murder was a case of mistaken identity. If the house was being surveilled by the hitman and any accomplice(s), I'm not sure why they had to do something rash by killing Cece -- they could have waited for the proper time to kill Rocco, who lived right next door.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #962986
02/01/19 10:02 PM
02/01/19 10:02 PM
Stubbs Offline
Capo
Stubbs  Offline
Capo
All this time we thought Buffalo was dead. Turns out they’re the most violent mob family in America! lol lol

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #962988
02/01/19 10:31 PM
02/01/19 10:31 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

Yes, the good times lol To this day I still regret that incident.

I agree with much of what you wrote. Similar to their grandfather the Violi's have always had good relationships with NY families.
The only thing that I may add about the Ndrangheta, it is a trademark of theirs to get their hands in as many ports as possible. Montreal is one of several.This gives them more versatility.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #962994
02/02/19 12:28 AM
02/02/19 12:28 AM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
Former undercover Hamilton Police Service officer Paul Manning’s tweet reply to reporter Adrian Humphreys, who had tweeted a link to his article about Cece Luppino:

https://twitter.com/mobinfiltrator/status/1091341940044386304?s=20

Paul Manning
@mobinfiltrator

Replying to
@AD_Humphreys

Adrian. Been asking around. Hearing nothing but nice things about this guy. Polite. Well manner. Honest.

9:26 AM · Feb 1, 2019

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #963000
02/02/19 03:37 AM
02/02/19 03:37 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
@antimafia

I'm genuinely confused why you think Italian journalist are clueless in thinking the ndrangheta want the Port of Montreal.... I'm serious here, i want to understand your thinking.....

( When you say, " the days of coke going south..." When did that ever actually happen? NY has always been Colombian/ Dominican controlled on the streets right?
So it was kinda always coming from the Carribean routes, before the Mexicans opened up the land routes....
I dont really get that point.....)

(I mean understand, they got to where they are moving cocaine worldwide, not shaking down construction industries in various nations.

Also, from what I've seen, the type of crime groups that dominate something like contruction, arnt the type of organizations to colonize various territories, they tend to stay in the same place, the Casalesi, the Piromallis, where ever the construction area is, that's where the families strength usually is located. Those type of contacts dont translate to different territories. The concrete club in NY wouldnt have clout when it came to building a Montreal skyscraper, right?

The Piromallis made TONS off the contruction of that port. But Their power lies in the contraband coming through the ports that MUST pass through their hands.....)

What I think they want, is to make sure as much cocaine passes through thier hands as possible........

I mean, it seems like they want access to ALL the ports. Its ALL about maintaining their leverage in the narcotics world....

(Side question; Why do you think control of Montreal equates to moving coke to NY?

I think they want it to control MORE of the Canadian market, AND as another staging point for European exports... As far as NY, they would need to set up a base there, or a relationship with an organization set up there already. This would be the Five families most likely. Then they would just ship coke to NY, not to Montreal, and then to NY. Look at New Bridge, the Calabrians were importing coke to NY, for EXPORT to Europe. Like the Ursinos wanted to launder thier money in NY, I dont think they were concerned with SELLING there...... )

Case in point: The incident between the Wolfpack and the Commisos... If the Wolfpack controls the Vancouver ports, and a majority of street distro, AND they have access to product DIRECT through Sinaloa , WHY WOULD THEY NEED THE MAFIA? Ndrangheta have access to the Halifax port, but it seems not as strong a relationship with the bikers and street gangs. And the presence of the Mexicans undermines whatever South American connection they bring to bear. So without a monopoly on the contacts, the street distro, or the importation through the ports, you tell me, How do they maintain thier strength?)

Controlling the Montreal port would give them more leverage, no?

Also, it's why I felt ( I mentioned this in a thread on blackhand...) it's important to watch the Mexican cartels, and the relationships they make with crime groups in Canada, because it affects the balance of power. But everyone wants to downplay the importance of narcotics up there.....

I said this, and like clockwork, you posted the excerpt from Chapos trial, talking about how much he makes in Montreal with Tony Suzuki...

Then I read about Sinaloa making deals in BC with the Iranians, who are in business with the Bikers, , HOW DOES THIS NOT UNDERMINE THE ITALIANS?

What could be the purpose of corrupting port officials if not to move contraband through?

Does ndrangheta have the CONTACTS to invest in Montreal construction? Serious question here..... Are they already powers in Montreal construction, I thought the Montreal group monopolized this activity......

For example, I said the Violis were building a narcotics business with NY. My speculation.

You countered that they dont send coke DOWN from Canada. My point is, WHY WOULD YOU THINK THEY WOULD DO THAT ANYWAY?

The way I saw it, NY would use the Violis contacts, not dissimilar to how the Ursinos used the Gambinos South American contacts. I saw NY using the Violis Colombian CONTACTS, not smuggling routes, CONTACTS. They could build another South America to NY route, it's the CONTACTS, the ability to get the things for 5 grand a ki that matter.

Again, Zummo sold a kilo for 38 grand. What do you think he PAID for it? You think he bought it in NY? If so, how much? 25? Less? 15? Would he enjoy buying from Mexicans, Dominicans, or fellow paisans? Well, getting it for 5 in bulk, beats all those prices to my eyes. And gives much more leverage.....

Again, it's not an attack, I'm just trying to come to an understanding here....

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: CabriniGreen] #963004
02/02/19 06:43 AM
02/02/19 06:43 AM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

I can't speak for Italian journalists , but we have to take the italian investigators seriously, those people know what they are talking about even if it's about Canada, Germany or Australia.

For example like they say the 'ndrangheta in Toronto is working closely with the Albanians, who act as their enforcement arm.

Last edited by Hollander; 02/02/19 06:58 AM.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #963005
02/02/19 07:18 AM
02/02/19 07:18 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
That's true, also in the UK as well, and the cornerstone to Calabrian power is control of the ports.....

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: NickleCity] #963029
02/02/19 01:25 PM
02/02/19 01:25 PM
B
BronaZora Offline
Button
BronaZora  Offline
B
Button
Originally Posted by NickleCity
About the Ndrangheta's power base in Hamilton... a lot of people believed Violi/Luppino Musitano to be Ndrangheta, but they may have been LCN all along--especially Luppino.

It's a lot more complicated than that, people need to realize that the Italian Mafia groups in Canada are much more complex than in the US. Historically speaking, there has only been one legit Italian Mafia body outside of Italy, and that's in the US after the establishment of the commission in the early 30's. Since then you either belonged to a family that was under the the US commission umbrella, or you represented one of the other groups in Italy, being Sicilian LCN, Ndrangheta, Camorra, or whatever.

The families that operate in the US are all under the American commission banner. In Canada however you have a mix, some groups report to the American commission, while other groups report to Italy. Some groups play both sides whenever it's convenient for them. Take the Rizzutos for example, when they were under the Bonnano banner, some have argued that they were a lot more closer to the Sicilian mobsters than to the Americans, and eventually they became powerful enough to break away due to that influence. On the other hand the Ndrangheta families in Toronto are all independent from the US commission, because they answer to Italy, not US, though there seems to be a significant shift for some of the families to move their main leadership to Toronto rather than Italy due to more lenient laws.

Hamilton is rather an interesting place, because although the main Mob families there have Ndrangheta roots, I'm not sure how much connect they have back to Italy. We know for sure they have cousins that still operate back in Italy, but we're not sure if there still is a connection. Giacomo Luppino himself was a Ndrangheta boss back in Italy until moving his family to Hamilton. But unlike the families of Toronto, the ones in Hamilton kind of embraced the American Mob rather than Italian, even though Luppino was also involved in Ndrangheta affairs in Canada.

It's still kind of unclear, if we take the Musitanos for example, like the Luppinos they also have Ndrangheta roots, but unlike them they don't really have members made into the Buffalo family, so what do you consider them? American LCN or Italian? Clearly they're respected enough in the underworld to be considered as a family, but it's an example of how things are much more complex in Canada.

Last edited by BronaZora; 02/02/19 01:29 PM.
Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: BronaZora] #963033
02/02/19 01:44 PM
02/02/19 01:44 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted by BronaZora
It's a lot more complicated than that, people need to realize that the Italian Mafia groups in Canada are much more complex than in the US. Historically speaking, there has only been one legit Italian Mafia body outside of Italy, and that's in the US after the establishment of the commission in the early 30's. Since then you either belonged to a family that was under the the US commission umbrella, or you represented one of the other groups in Italy, being Sicilian LCN, Ndrangheta, Camorra, or whatever.

the ndrangheta in australia has an independent body too
the crime families in the united states became totally independent in the 1930s when they formed an own commission, before they answered to sicilian mafia in sicily

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: m2w] #963039
02/02/19 02:12 PM
02/02/19 02:12 PM
B
BronaZora Offline
Button
BronaZora  Offline
B
Button
Originally Posted by m2w
[quote=BronaZora]the ndrangheta in australia has an independent body too
the crime families in the united states became totally independent in the 1930s when they formed an own commission, before they answered to sicilian mafia in sicily

I looked up some of the families in Australia, seems like Barbaro, Sergi, Pappalia, etc are all pretty big there, these families may have independence on how things go in Australia, but they're still Ndrangheta and the base of their families is back in Calabria, not Australia. The American Mob is a legit independent body, because groups like the 5 families, Chicago Outfit, Buffalo, Philly, etc do not represent Italian Mafia, they represent American Mafia.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: BronaZora] #963040
02/02/19 02:15 PM
02/02/19 02:15 PM
NickleCity Offline
Capo
NickleCity  Offline
Capo

The families that operate in the US are all under the American commission banner. In Canada however you have a mix, some groups report to the American commission, while other groups report to Italy. Some groups play both sides whenever it's convenient for them. Take the Rizzutos for example, when they were under the Bonnano banner, some have argued that they were a lot more closer to the Sicilian mobsters than to the Americans, and eventually they became powerful enough to break away due to that influence. On the other hand the Ndrangheta families in Toronto are all independent from the US commission, because they answer to Italy, not US, though there seems to be a significant shift for some of the families to move their main leadership to Toronto rather than Italy due to more lenient laws.

Hamilton is rather an interesting place, because although the main Mob families there have Ndrangheta roots, I'm not sure how much connect they have back to Italy. We know for sure they have cousins that still operate back in Italy, but we're not sure if there still is a connection. Giacomo Luppino himself was a Ndrangheta bosses back in Italy until moving his family to Hamilton. But unlike the families of Toronto, the ones in Hamilton kind of embraced the American Mob rather than Italian, even though Luppino was also involved in Ndrangheta affairs in Canada.

It's still kind of unclear, if we take the Musitanos for example, like the Luppinos they also have Ndrangheta roots, but unlike them they don't really have members made into the Buffalo family, so what do you consider them? American LCN or Italian? Clearly they're respected enough in the underworld to be considered as a family, but it's an example of how things are much more complex in Canada.

BronaZora, thanks for the comment. You are right. It is much more complicated than my quick reduction about Violi/Luppino, Musitano and others that have Ndrangheta roots that "may" have been under American LCN all along.

I am aware that Giacomo Luppino started the Camera di Controllo in Toronto, the ruling body for the heads of the Ndrangheta decinas in GTA. This is where I think all the confusion comes into play. From what I understand he was a Captain for Magaddino and according to Schneider in Iced he set the Contollo up to run like the commission because of his "reverence" for "his boss" Magaddino and Schneider further suggests that the whole board answered to the Buffalo boss. All this interconnection is what is hard for me to wrap my mind around. Evidently there is a great deal of independence for these various "families" yet they were and some are still alleged be overseen by Buffalo.

Is that how you summarize things?

Please, anyone with ideas I'd love to learn the various theories about how this worked and may still work today.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: NickleCity] #963041
02/02/19 02:47 PM
02/02/19 02:47 PM
B
BronaZora Offline
Button
BronaZora  Offline
B
Button
BronaZora, thanks for the comment. You are right. It is much more complicated than my quick reduction about Violi/Luppino, Musitano and others that have Ndrangheta roots that "may" have been under American LCN all along.

I am aware that Giacomo Luppino started the Camera di Controllo in Toronto, the ruling body for the heads of the Ndrangheta decinas in GTA. This is where I think all the confusion comes into play. From what I understand he was a Captain for Magaddino and according to Schneider in Iced he set the Contollo up to run like the commission because of his "reverence" for "his boss" Magaddino and Schneider further suggests that the whole board answered to the Buffalo boss. All this interconnection is what is hard for me to wrap my mind around. Evidently there is a great deal of independence for these various "families" yet they were and some are still alleged be overseen by Buffalo.

Is that how you summarize things?

Please, anyone with ideas I'd love to learn the various theories about how this worked and may still work today.

That's actually pretty spot on Nickle, the families in Southern Ontario did have Ndrangheta roots, but they all answered to Buffalo and played by Magaddino's rules, so technically speaking yes, it's correct to say that Magaddino was the big boss of the families in Southern Ontario and he pretty much represented them in the American commission.

With that said, we do have to consider timelines here, meaning that the Magaddino era is gone, and while some still answer or fly the Buffalo banner (Luppino-Violi family), others no longer do that (Ndrangheta families of Toronto). Then there are some groups in the gray area, the Musitanos being one of them who at some point did answer to Buffalo like the rest of them, but later shifted alliances to the Rizzuto family instead as Buffalo weakened.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #963053
02/02/19 04:31 PM
02/02/19 04:31 PM
Stubbs Offline
Capo
Stubbs  Offline
Capo
I tend to believe that Occam’s Razor is at play here, that the simpliest explanation is the most likely... that Luppino was killed as revenge for the Musitano hit.

But I started thinking and was wondering if there’s more at play here due to the history:

- The Musitanos become closely allied with the Rizzutos.
- With the power vacuum of Vito being in jail, the opposing factions start aligning together.
- The Bonannos and Sal Montagna align with the Violis, Luppinos, Buffalo, some Ndrangheta in Toronto, and Reyald and others in Montreal.
- The war in Montreal has spread into Hamilton, between pro-Rizzuto loyalists Musitanos and the anti-Rizzuto Violis and Luppinos.

Because I’m assuming the Luppinos would’ve supported moving against the Rizzuto faction, Rocco’s son CeCe was killed as payback for Nick Jr. A son for a son. I’m sure the hit was still done by the Musitano faction, but I wonder if it was done with support by the remaining Rizzuto faction in Montreal (they gave their blessing, I mean).

The Magi hit shows that the Rizzutos still have enough power and a long enough memory to get revenge ten years after Nick Jr got killed. In the mafia murder motives can get complex very quickly.

But again, all of that is unlikely and the simpliest explanation is the most likely.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: BronaZora] #963054
02/02/19 04:35 PM
02/02/19 04:35 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
That's actually pretty spot on Nickle, the families in Southern Ontario did have Ndrangheta roots, but they all answered to Buffalo and played by Magaddino's rules, so technically speaking yes, it's correct to say that Magaddino was the big boss of the families in Southern Ontario and he pretty much represented them in the American commission.

With that said, we do have to consider timelines here, meaning that the Magaddino era is gone, and while some still answer or fly the Buffalo banner (Luppino-Violi family), others no longer do that (Ndrangheta families of Toronto). Then there are some groups in the gray area, the Musitanos being one of them who at some point did answer to Buffalo like the rest of them, but later shifted alliances to the Rizzuto family instead as Buffalo weakened.

the rizzutos are members of american cosa nostra anyway (bonanno family), so the musitano's probably answer to lcn too
most of italian criminal groups in canada are lcn members (bonanno and buffalo), some are members of sicilian mafia (caruana/cuntrera and inzerillo) and some ndrangheta (siderno group)

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: m2w] #963056
02/02/19 05:02 PM
02/02/19 05:02 PM
B
BronaZora Offline
Button
BronaZora  Offline
B
Button
Originally Posted by m2w

the rizzutos are members of american cosa nostra anyway (bonanno family), so the musitano's probably answer to lcn too
most of italian criminal groups in canada are lcn members (bonanno and buffalo), some are members of sicilian mafia (caruana/cuntrera and inzerillo) and some ndrangheta (siderno group)

The Rizzuto's pretty much went on to be independent ever since George from Canada was killed in the late 90s. They don't report to anyone from NY. If they we're still Bonnanos, the whole issue with Montagna would have not happened. But the background of their organization is based on American LCN.

I doubt anyone answers to the Bonnanos in Montreal anymore, and if anyone does, its definitely not the Rizzuto-Sollecito faction.

Re: Murder at home owned by Rocco Luppino (Hamilton) [Re: antimafia] #963059
02/02/19 05:16 PM
02/02/19 05:16 PM
NickleCity Offline
Capo
NickleCity  Offline
Capo
Exploring the killings that shine light on Canada's underworld power struggle

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ontario-organized-crime-1.5002547

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull