GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 107 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,144
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sopranos based on genoveses for sure #961469
01/12/19 06:25 PM
01/12/19 06:25 PM
UK
S
streetbossliborio Offline OP
Underboss
streetbossliborio  Offline OP
S
Underboss
UK
Along with chase saying that he used the boot and his son as inspiration I am currently watching season 1 episode 8 when meadow smugly lists the five families to annoy tony at the dinner table. She says all 4 apart from the Genovese family.

Although there are similarities with decavs and Lucchese I think the argument is strongest due to the above..

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #961477
01/12/19 10:12 PM
01/12/19 10:12 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

I agree the Sopranos came from Avellino like many guys from the Genovese family and the feuds with Johnny Sack were also based on real life feuds between the Boiardos and New York’s ruling Genovese family.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #961490
01/13/19 12:00 AM
01/13/19 12:00 AM
UK
S
Underboss
S
Underboss
UK
Never knew there were genvoeses from avellino Hollander. Was the boot from there?

Also what feuds did they have with the admin?

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #961494
01/13/19 12:19 AM
01/13/19 12:19 AM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

I think so, Those guys in northern New Jersey were mostly Italians from the same province, Avellino.
Vito Genovese was also born near Avellino.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #961556
01/13/19 08:54 PM
01/13/19 08:54 PM
UK
S
Underboss
S
Underboss
UK
Interesting thanks Hollander

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #962473
01/26/19 06:39 PM
01/26/19 06:39 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Meadow mentions Luciano, which was the Genovese family.

I was always pretty sure that the power of Tony and his crew along with his gumption to challenge NY families was based more on NY crews in New Jersey than the DeCavs.

One of many reasons I found seasons 1 and 2 to be the best was because it was Jersey vs. Jersey, which was far more realistic than a Jersey boss taking on NY, which borders science fiction.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: OakAsFan] #962532
01/27/19 11:55 AM
01/27/19 11:55 AM
NEPA and now Fla
J
Jshov31 Offline
Retired Capo
Jshov31  Offline
Retired Capo
J
Made Member
NEPA and now Fla
I think it was just Chase wanting to show to the world that the mob wasn’t just in NYC. What a lot of regular Americans don’t seem to realize is that every major organized crime family had a presence in NJ and still does. Even a lot of the small families from different parts of the country had at least 1 guy or small group of guys based in NJ.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: Hollander] #962690
01/29/19 09:22 PM
01/29/19 09:22 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Hollander
I think so, Those guys in northern New Jersey were mostly Italians from the same province, Avellino.
Vito Genovese was also born near Avellino.

Not sure if you’re only referencing certain Genovese guys being from Avellino, but in north jersey in general, Italians from all over southern Italy in general migrated there. Just like New York.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #962700
01/29/19 10:41 PM
01/29/19 10:41 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Junior has a line about most people in his Jersey town migrating from Avelino. I think in the episode where he's going to funerals of people he barely knows to get out of house arrest.

This show does seem to emphasize a Neapolitan influence in Jersey. I don't know of one character that identifies as Sicilian. Paulie mentions Sicilians during pillow talk with his Italian hooker but that's about it. Tony reveals Silvio is Calabrese in the scene where he's yelling at him about Italian pride and Gary Cooper.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: OakAsFan] #962772
01/30/19 10:50 PM
01/30/19 10:50 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Junior has a line about most people in his Jersey town migrating from Avelino. I think in the episode where he's going to funerals of people he barely knows to get out of house arrest.

This show does seem to emphasize a Neapolitan influence in Jersey. I don't know of one character that identifies as Sicilian. Paulie mentions Sicilians during pillow talk with his Italian hooker but that's about it. Tony reveals Silvio is Calabrese in the scene where he's yelling at him about Italian pride and Gary Cooper.

Yep. A lot of neapolitans. But you’re right they never really revealed where exactly in Italy everyone’s ancestors were from. That was just their inner circle. There are a lot of Sicilians, calabrese etc. in New Jersey. I actually liked that the show kind of strayed away from the predictable and overdone “Sicilian American gangsters” topic. We always saw it in movies and shows but the mafia was made up of much more types of southern Italians than just Sicilians.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #962780
01/31/19 12:28 AM
01/31/19 12:28 AM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
The Godfather set the standard, then Hollywood lore just adopted the theme. It became common for writers to just refer to Italian gangsters as "Sicilians". Scorsese mostly avoided it. Just a quick line where Henry Hill talks about his mother and then later about being made. The Sopranos went the opposite direction and made a point of Tony's Neapolitan background, which I agree was a refreshing take for movies or television.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #962849
01/31/19 06:44 PM
01/31/19 06:44 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
For whatever reason, a lot of people believed Genovese was Sicilian. He was Neapolitan obviously. But southern Italians are generally grouped together. I see it especially with Neapolitans, Sicilians and Calabrese. Calabria and Sicily are extremely similar though. Naples shares similarities as well but there are also some clear differences. That is what real Italians from italy within my family have told me

Last edited by Revis_Island; 01/31/19 06:45 PM.
Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #962931
02/01/19 01:13 PM
02/01/19 01:13 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
The author of the new Costello book, Anthony M. DeStefano, claims Genovese is Sicilian. He leaves no footnotes or reference to refute all of the other claims that Vito was Neapolitan, so maybe he sees it the way you referred to, that it's all southern Italy, anyway, no point in splitting hairs.

In the Scorsese documentary "Italianamerican", where he interviews his parents (who've appeared in a lot of his movies), I believe his father says something bout how in Sicily it's all about what village you're from. Sicilians don't even care if you're Sicilian. If you're not from their village, they're suspicious of you, or something like that. It was a few years ago that I watched it, but he seemed to say something to this effect. The Scorseses emigrated a long time ago, though. A lot had to have changed in Sicily since the end of World War 2 and Mussolini, although the mafia and their provincial standards obviously remained influential.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: OakAsFan] #962956
02/01/19 05:09 PM
02/01/19 05:09 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
The author of the new Costello book, Anthony M. DeStefano, claims Genovese is Sicilian. He leaves no footnotes or reference to refute all of the other claims that Vito was Neapolitan, so maybe he sees it the way you referred to, that it's all southern Italy, anyway, no point in splitting hairs.

In the Scorsese documentary "Italianamerican", where he interviews his parents (who've appeared in a lot of his movies), I believe his father says something bout how in Sicily it's all about what village you're from. Sicilians don't even care if you're Sicilian. If you're not from their village, they're suspicious of you, or something like that. It was a few years ago that I watched it, but he seemed to say something to this effect. The Scorseses emigrated a long time ago, though. A lot had to have changed in Sicily since the end of World War 2 and Mussolini, although the mafia and their provincial standards obviously remained influential.

I think I’ve heard that before. It’s like any other place really. I’m from New Jersey originally and people always group New Jersey with New York.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: OakAsFan] #963062
02/02/19 05:33 PM
02/02/19 05:33 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
The Godfather set the standard, then Hollywood lore just adopted the theme. It became common for writers to just refer to Italian gangsters as "Sicilians". Scorsese mostly avoided it. Just a quick line where Henry Hill talks about his mother and then later about being made. The Sopranos went the opposite direction and made a point of Tony's Neapolitan background, which I agree was a refreshing take for movies or television.

It’s also ironic that the mastermind behind The Godfather was Neapolitan. Mario Puzo of course.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #963086
02/02/19 09:36 PM
02/02/19 09:36 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Puzo was Neapolitan? That's surprising. When he talked about Sinatra confronting him he mocked Sinatra for being "northern" (which is kind off base considering Sinatra's father was Sicilian). Anyhow, he said something about he he was surprised to see a northern Italian be so masculine and aggressive. Also in his writing he always seemed to lionize and romanticize Sicilian culture.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: OakAsFan] #963095
02/03/19 03:09 AM
02/03/19 03:09 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Puzo was Neapolitan? That's surprising. When he talked about Sinatra confronting him he mocked Sinatra for being "northern" (which is kind off base considering Sinatra's father was Sicilian). Anyhow, he said something about he he was surprised to see a northern Italian be so masculine and aggressive. Also in his writing he always seemed to lionize and romanticize Sicilian culture.

I think somewhere in the Naples area. I’m guessing that maybe he saw parallels between Neapolitan subculture and Sicilian subculture. But don’t forget, they were American in The Godfather so I guess it didn’t really make too much of a difference want region they were from. James Caan actually said that in The Godfather documentary. “We were playing Americans at the end of the day. Americans who happened to be Italian”

Last edited by Revis_Island; 02/03/19 03:11 AM.
Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #963139
02/03/19 03:37 PM
02/03/19 03:37 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Just looked it up. Puzo’s parents were from Avellino, Italy. Close to Naples.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #963142
02/03/19 04:06 PM
02/03/19 04:06 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Soprano country.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #963171
02/03/19 10:13 PM
02/03/19 10:13 PM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss
i think it's all fiction about the dimeo family...
they are not decavs and for sure not NY imo...

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: streetbossliborio] #963180
02/04/19 12:34 AM
02/04/19 12:34 AM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
A couple of Philly cops laid out a pretty good case as to how they were based on Jersey Luccheses and Philadelphia guys. Frank Renzulli wrote a lot of episodes in seasons 1 and 2, he's the guy Chazz Palminteri stole the Bronx Tale story from. Renzulli's from Boston. David Chase himself said a lot of the Soprano characters were based on the Boiardo crew. Jackie Aprile's stomach cancer and the rivalry between Tony and Junior in season 1 over becoming boss was similar to the 90s Decav situation. Decavs were on wire tap discussing how the characters were based on them.

Re: Sopranos based on genoveses for sure [Re: MeyerLansky] #963184
02/04/19 01:21 AM
02/04/19 01:21 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by MeyerLansky
i think it's all fiction about the dimeo family...
they are not decavs and for sure not NY imo...

I agree

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull