GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 97 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,190
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes #944198
06/19/18 03:12 PM
06/19/18 03:12 PM
T
tommy_milan Offline OP
Made Member
tommy_milan  Offline OP
T
Made Member
It's getting absolutely slated by the critics. Anyone seen it yet?

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #944202
06/19/18 03:36 PM
06/19/18 03:36 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Now we know why Junior started distancing himself from this thing. His recent special will probably net more viewers than the movie.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #944217
06/19/18 05:09 PM
06/19/18 05:09 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Something Suspicious Is Happening With Rotten Tomatoes User Reviews for Gotti

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...cious-is-happening-with-rotten-toma.html

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #944240
06/19/18 08:40 PM
06/19/18 08:40 PM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
I plan on giving it a watch for the hell of it, but I can't find it on any of the streaming sites yet.. If anyone has a link drop it, I'll do the same if I find one

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #944259
06/20/18 12:21 AM
06/20/18 12:21 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
The critics were out to destroy it as soon as it was announced. The Godfather got many bad reviews, and the average rating for Goodfellas when it came out was 2 stars out of 4 by critics. While I don't think this movie will be as good as either, especially the greatest movie of all time Godfather, it may turn out to be a fan favorite as more people see it and make up their own minds. I have not gone to see it yet but plan to. My one apprehension is Travolta as Gotti. I will give it look to make up my mind.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #944275
06/20/18 06:31 AM
06/20/18 06:31 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

You read any of the articles I posted, Jace? All of the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes come from fake profiles.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: Moe_Tilden] #944390
06/20/18 10:28 PM
06/20/18 10:28 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
You read any of the articles I posted, Jace? All of the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes come from fake profiles.

They say they are fake but cannot be sure. I was talking about the critics anyway. One was interviewed today, movie critic Roger Freidman When pressed in radio interview,
he got mad and started saying that Gotti should not be glorified, and that he hated Goodfellas also for the same reason.

Last edited by jace; 06/20/18 10:29 PM.
Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #944742
06/24/18 03:54 AM
06/24/18 03:54 AM
A
AllDay27 Offline
Capo
AllDay27  Offline
A
Capo
the 0% was generous.

The film is comically bad. So poorly made it's palpable throughout.

The storyline is all over the place, and while not inaccurate, they absolutely took liberties.

Simply put, the film has no focus. It's a movie about John, based on a book by Junior. The film jumps between the two POVs over several decades with little clarification as to when they are transitioning and to which timeline or POV.

Too much time was wasted trying to romanticize the memory of Gotti as a neighborhood guy.

Kevin Connoly tried his best, parts of the film were shot well, while much of it looked amateurish. Not unlike the signs of a director's first feature film.

I'm happy it was made versus never happening at all, that being said... I'd be hard pressed to rewatch it honestly ever... If this were on TV in a few months on HBO or Showtime, I don't think I'd watch it. I've seen people compare it to, "The Room" in terms of what a phenomenon the film became and how truly awful it was.

Last edited by AllDay27; 06/24/18 03:59 AM.
Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: AllDay27] #944847
06/25/18 12:00 AM
06/25/18 12:00 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by AllDay27
the 0% was generous.

The film is comically bad. So poorly made it's palpable throughout.

The storyline is all over the place, and while not inaccurate, they absolutely took liberties.

Simply put, the film has no focus. It's a movie about John, based on a book by Junior. The film jumps between the two POVs over several decades with little clarification as to when they are transitioning and to which timeline or POV.

Too much time was wasted trying to romanticize the memory of Gotti as a neighborhood guy.

Kevin Connoly tried his best, parts of the film were shot well, while much of it looked amateurish. Not unlike the signs of a director's first feature film.

I'm happy it was made versus never happening at all, that being said... I'd be hard pressed to rewatch it honestly ever... If this were on TV in a few months on HBO or Showtime, I don't think I'd watch it. I've seen people compare it to, "The Room" in terms of what a phenomenon the film became and how truly awful it was.

Saw it 2day w/the wife,,even she said it sucked,,,we agree..& Stacy Keach as Neil D???get the fuck outta here,,they should have @ least makeupped that mark on his lip off..geez..

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #945394
06/29/18 02:30 PM
06/29/18 02:30 PM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
Found it online if anyone is interested.. Just hit my PM.

About to watch it now...

Last edited by RollinBones; 06/29/18 02:30 PM.
Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953348
09/17/18 07:49 AM
09/17/18 07:49 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
I watched the movie yesterday.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

The movie seem made by a gotti fan boy because Gotti was a good father a good friend while the others are the bad (castellano that force gotti to kill him,the chin that wanted ruggiero dead or casso that killed his friend Bobby Borriello and eddie lino),no mention on gotti crew selling heroin or the fact that Gotti cant keep his mouth shut and that gravano flipped because listened gotti that give all the blame on him.
And no way on the fact that he was beaten up by a black in prison and that the Aryan doesn't respect him.
And gotti junior was portrayed as hero against the government while was less respected and some gambinos thinked to whack him.
And The finalmente with Gotti funeral video damn its better Gotti with Assante.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953349
09/17/18 07:51 AM
09/17/18 07:51 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Yeah, Furio. Thankfully the audiences and the critics saw through the propaganda and the lies. The only good reviews the movie got were planted ones on Rotten Tomatoes.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: furio_from_naples] #953350
09/17/18 07:54 AM
09/17/18 07:54 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
I watched the movie yesterday.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

The movie seem made by a gotti fan boy because Gotti was a good father a good friend while the others are the bad (castellano that force gotti to kill him,the chin that wanted ruggiero dead or casso that killed his friend Bobby Borriello and eddie lino),no mention on gotti crew selling heroin or the fact that Gotti cant keep his mouth shut and that gravano flipped because listened gotti that give all the blame on him.
And no way on the fact that he was beaten up by a black in prison and that the Aryan doesn't respect him.
And gotti junior was portrayed as hero against the government while was less respected and some gambinos thinked to whack him.
And The finalmente with Gotti funeral video damn its better Gotti with Assante.

The Gottis were heavily involved in development/production so we knew what we were gonna get

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: Moe_Tilden] #953353
09/17/18 10:49 AM
09/17/18 10:49 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Yeah, Furio. Thankfully the audiences and the critics saw through the propaganda and the lies. The only good reviews the movie got were planted ones on Rotten Tomatoes.

What mean AUDIENCE SCORE 53%?

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953354
09/17/18 10:55 AM
09/17/18 10:55 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

The marketing team for the movie were spamming Rotten Tomatoes with fake reviews to boost it's audience score, yeah.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: Moe_Tilden] #953356
09/17/18 12:26 PM
09/17/18 12:26 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
The marketing team for the movie were spamming Rotten Tomatoes with fake reviews to boost it's audience score, yeah.

the 1996 film was better quality although a lot of inaccuracies. This new one was just a gotti fluff piece but it was also shit lol

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953400
09/17/18 10:46 PM
09/17/18 10:46 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
I don't care about the inaccuracies, as long as the movie is good. The trailer to this looks horrible.

No film is "non fiction". I'm always amazed at people who really get angry at feature films for getting facts wrong. It's show business. Duh. The tropes used to attract audiences will always have priority over historical accuracy.

For instance, supporting actors are always shorter than the person they're based on, to make the lead actor look taller. Tommy DeSimone was about 5 feet taller than Henry Hill.... Not in the movie he wasn't.

Lefty Ruggiero is killed in the movie. Because it's sadder that way, that's why. The audience felt sorry for him. Nobody would have cared if Sonny Black died, which is what really happened, because Michael Madsen was calculated and emotionless throughout the whole damned movie.

Even adaptations deviate from the books they're based on. Fredo Corleone wasn't a complete moron in the Godfather book. He was just dependent on his parents, less willing to take risks and branch out, which made him a weak candidate to take over the Corleone clan. In the movie, he's made to look like a doofus....to make Al Pacino look cooler. It's that simple.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953425
09/18/18 07:52 AM
09/18/18 07:52 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Oak. What you mention about Donnie Brasco and Goodfellas is common in all movies of every genre. Stuff like writing one character as a composite based on numerous real life people.

Where Gotti differs is that it's more akin to a propaganda tool or promotional exercise for the Gotti family than it is anything resembling artistic integrity.

There is a reason why the director was some nobody with no experience of directing a movie of any magnitude or acting in anything of any magnitude (save for Entourage). They couldn't get a decent director, or any decent actors, to have anything to do with this because the circus like production made it abundantly clear they were more interested in rewriting history and glorifying a deadbeat killer and criminal than making a movie with substance.

That's why you regularly had respected actors like Joe Pesci being misled and walking away from production and that's why you had an extended cast made up of the same idiots who build careers around portraying knockaround guys in low-end mob productions and episodes of Law and Order.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953449
09/18/18 02:22 PM
09/18/18 02:22 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
A lot of people who complain about the inaccuracies in mob movies typically complain about common movie tropes.

I remember one of the real FBI agents involved with the Pistone case complaining on Geraldo or some show back in the 90s about how Lefty really didn't get killed. He was accusing Hollywood of having some kind of agenda because of it. It was just a simple rewrite to make the story better. Sensationalism? Sure. It's called "show" business.

I disagree about the reasons for respectable actors avoiding Gotti. If that were the case, why would Pesci and DeNiro, and Scorsese, for that matter, do Goodfellas? Henry Hill was a creep and there was enough documentation even back then. The real family of "Spider" were out there protesting from the start. This kid was just at the social club making drinks and Tommy DeSimone savagely murdered him, then the rest of the guys buried him behind the building. Just imagine being a relative of his, and a movie comes out that merely makes Tommy DeSimone out to be nothing more than a lovable crook who just couldn't follow mafia rules. Spider's family insists to this day that he would have never gotten out of line with someone who was connected like that, least of all Tommy, who already had the reputation of a lunatic. In all likeliness, it was a thrill kill, and Jimmy Burke's crew covered it up because Tommy was one of his enforcers.

I think respectable actors and directors avoided Gotti because the script just wasn't interesting, and the Gotti story is played out. The most interesting take on the Gotti story came from Gravano's book, and even that ended up being a made for tv movie. The media had just worn out everything Gotti by the late 90s.

I don't think actors, even guys like Pesci who have a few "friends", care if the story has integrity. I don't think the mobsters themselves even care. As long as they get their cut when they're involved with production.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953455
09/18/18 02:34 PM
09/18/18 02:34 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

You mention how the family of Spider feels. There was one movie based on Henry Hill.

How do you think the family of John Favara feels? It is almost 40 years since he was murdered and over 20 years since John Gotti was relevant and the Gotti's are still making a living off a murderer.

And it's a bit obtuse what you said re: Pesci & De Niro being drawn to a movie about Henry Hill. They wanted to work with Scorsese.

Pesci ended up declining to star in Gotti once he was lowballed and realised the production of the movie was basically a scam, devoid of any proper actors or producers behind the scenes. They probably just used him to drum up publicity for the movie.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953457
09/18/18 03:23 PM
09/18/18 03:23 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
And that's why Pesci didn't want to do Gotti. There was nobody like Scorsese involved. I doubt it had anything to do with the integrity or honesty of the script. He'd done movies before based on real life mobster that deviated from reality.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953462
09/18/18 04:47 PM
09/18/18 04:47 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

But Goodfellas had a proper director, proper co-stars (De Niro, Bracco), a proper budget and a proper production team. And it may have taken artistic licence, but it didn't glorify criminals and it wasn't a tacky love letter to the people it was based on.

And the Goodfellas production didn't renege on a contract with Pesci in order to drum up publicity for their shitty movie.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953463
09/18/18 05:07 PM
09/18/18 05:07 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
I doubt Pesci does Goodfellas if not for Scorsese. There was nobody like Scorsese involved with Gotti. That's why Pesci passed. He knew he was dealing with amateurs. I just don't buy that the integrity or honesty of any movie has to do with Pesci's decision not to be in it.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953466
09/18/18 05:57 PM
09/18/18 05:57 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Goodfellas was a realistic, and impartial, portrayal of the mafia. Gotti is basically a vehicle to promote the Gotti brand. It has about as much depth as one of their reality TV shows. It doesn't have anything honest to say about the mafia, it's as tacky as it gets.

Once Pesci realised what a shit show it was, and how they were using his name as capital, he was out.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953468
09/18/18 06:11 PM
09/18/18 06:11 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Goodfellas was not impartial. Henry Hill and others in Jimmy Burke's crew were much worse than what the movie let on. Scorsese and Nick Pileggi had to have known it, especially Pileggi, who'd been an investigative journalist covering the mob for years. Scorsese knew they were worse based on his own experiences growing up. Scorsese and Pileggi whitewashed the Burke crew, and they knew it. They took an otherwise dark, disturbing story and made it intriguing and acceptable to mainstream American audiences.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953961
09/24/18 08:41 AM
09/24/18 08:41 AM
ne philly
merlino Offline
jesus quintana
merlino  Offline
jesus quintana
Underboss
ne philly
Just watched the movie and it was absolutely terrible and had no rhyme or reason and then playing pitbull and other rap music taht wasn't part of the time it just made no sense, the HBO gotti movie was in my opinion awesome......they should have re-writtem the movie and picked a better director, it was not worth the $5.99 to rent it on comcast

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #953978
09/24/18 02:22 PM
09/24/18 02:22 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Pitbull. lol. How desperate. Yeah, John came up in the disco days, and his reign ended when hairspray bands like Bon Jovi dominated the charts. I think he just missed the 2000s reggaeton party.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: tommy_milan] #954012
09/25/18 12:02 AM
09/25/18 12:02 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
They would've been better off selling it off as a fiction movie and not brought Gotti into it. Horrible movie. I hope Gene has a long talk with his brothers kids about letting John rest in piece.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: OakAsFan] #954654
10/03/18 11:15 PM
10/03/18 11:15 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Goodfellas was not impartial. Henry Hill and others in Jimmy Burke's crew were much worse than what the movie let on. Scorsese and Nick Pileggi had to have known it, especially Pileggi, who'd been an investigative journalist covering the mob for years. Scorsese knew they were worse based on his own experiences growing up. Scorsese and Pileggi whitewashed the Burke crew, and they knew it. They took an otherwise dark, disturbing story and made it intriguing and acceptable to mainstream American audiences.

Fair enough I suppose but I do recall a scene towards the end of Goodfellas where it's heavily implied that De Niro's character is trying to set up Bracco's character to be whacked. As for Liotta's character, how much worse can you portray Henry Hill? The movie portrayed him as a criminal, a drug addict and a philanderer. As far as I'm aware the real Henry Hill wasn't whacking people left, right and center.

Re: Gotti 0% on rotten tomatoes [Re: OakAsFan] #954759
10/05/18 01:56 AM
10/05/18 01:56 AM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by OakAsFan

I saw Jimmy kill a bunch of his friends instead of giving them the money he owed. I saw Liotta's character cheat on his wife, get addicted to coke, and rat on all his friends. I saw Pesci's character kill two guys simply because they mouthed off at him. They changed some stuff to make them more appealing initially but that's far from white-washing. Paulie was the only one they changed to make look a lot better than he was, but he was the 5th most important character in the movie.

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull