GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 142 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,360
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,218
Posts1,056,202
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mob anthology tv series #908067
03/05/17 12:52 PM
03/05/17 12:52 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline OP
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline OP
Underboss
Something like the same set up as American Horror/Crime Story, would be a great hit in my opinion. A different story every season.

There are many stories in the mob that haven't been brought to the screen correctly. The DeMeo crew story, The rise and fall of Nicky Scarfo, The Colombo wars, Massino's rise and fall, the Pizza Connection etc. etc.

What do you guys think??

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: BillyBrizzi] #908080
03/05/17 04:51 PM
03/05/17 04:51 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Billy,

Would be a great concept. Only problem is that most mob related stuff that makes it to TV is RIFE with inaccuracies. I get that some things can't be completely verified but for mob stuff, they seem to not even try to get things right.

There have been a few examples where I watched something on tv, enjoyed it...and then read the reviews here about how at least 25% of what they showed was false.
Also think that LCN is over represented in crime stuff and that they should highlight lesser known white ethnic crime organizations.

Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: getthesenets] #908105
03/06/17 06:18 AM
03/06/17 06:18 AM
BillyBrizzi Offline OP
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Billy,

Would be a great concept. Only problem is that most mob related stuff that makes it to TV is RIFE with inaccuracies. I get that some things can't be completely verified but for mob stuff, they seem to not even try to get things right.

There have been a few examples where I watched something on tv, enjoyed it...and then read the reviews here about how at least 25% of what they showed was false.
Also think that LCN is over represented in crime stuff and that they should highlight lesser known white ethnic crime organizations.

I agree GTN, but this could be something of a final word on the subject and deal with the more obscure stories about 'The Life'. Would be great if a brilliant writer like David Chase would write the scripts and also have solid actors for the parts, so the level will be more like Sopranos and not like some reenactment scenes you see in a lot of mob documentaries.

Maybe even have different stories every episode and make it more about crime in general, so you can add stories about organizations from all ethnic backgrounds. There are so many stories that haven't been done (right) yet..

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: BillyBrizzi] #927347
01/21/18 01:46 PM
01/21/18 01:46 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Inaccuracy in these productions is common. I've watched the American Heroes Channel production about Bugsy Siegal and it still touts Virginia Hill as Flamingo and that Siegel was the originator of the Flamingo Hotel.

Those inaccuracies serve the urban legends which may be an attraction for some viewers.

I wonder if Wiseguy would have lasted had Ken Wahl not been injured.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: olivant] #927480
01/23/18 12:42 PM
01/23/18 12:42 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by olivant
Inaccuracy in these productions is common. I've watched the American Heroes Channel production about Bugsy Siegal and it still touts Virginia Hill as Flamingo and that Siegel was the originator of the Flamingo Hotel.

Those inaccuracies serve the urban legends which may be an attraction for some viewers.

Yes, this series is pretty dreadful. The "re-enactments" are so amateurish that they're laughable. And, as you point out, full of errors. The Trafficante segment was the pits.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: BillyBrizzi] #927485
01/23/18 03:01 PM
01/23/18 03:01 PM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
I caught a few on Saturday. Fucking pathetic. However, before I fell asleep last week some time, I caught inside taking down the chicago mob. I'd have to have Toodoped give his two cents, but I stayed glued. I saw it a few years ago for the first time.

Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: Turnbull] #927628
01/25/18 02:09 PM
01/25/18 02:09 PM
ne philly
merlino Offline
jesus quintana
merlino  Offline
jesus quintana
Underboss
ne philly
Originally Posted by Turnbull

Yes, this series is pretty dreadful. The "re-enactments" are so amateurish that they're laughable. And, as you point out, full of errors. The Trafficante segment was the pits.

watched the trafiicante one and that was just horrible, and they use the same actors over and over again, terrible but the crazy thing is someone bought this to put it on tv and made money off of this BS

Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: BillyBrizzi] #927635
01/25/18 04:46 PM
01/25/18 04:46 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

HBO or Netflix need to make one, then maybe it will be well made.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: merlino] #927660
01/25/18 08:57 PM
01/25/18 08:57 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by merlino

watched the trafiicante one and that was just horrible, and they use the same actors over and over again, terrible but the crazy thing is someone bought this to put it on tv and made money off of this BS

There's one other thing about this series. In the one about Massino, they stated that a capo spied a couple of FBI agents surveilling him, went after them, and murdered one agent and wounded another. That sounds preposterous. If it happened, the series did not comment on what happened to the capo. Has anyone heard of this?,

Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: BillyBrizzi] #927764
01/26/18 09:33 PM
01/26/18 09:33 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by BillyBrizzi
Something like the same set up as American Horror/Crime Story, would be a great hit in my opinion. A different story every season.

There are many stories in the mob that haven't been brought to the screen correctly. The DeMeo crew story, The rise and fall of Nicky Scarfo, The Colombo wars, Massino's rise and fall, the Pizza Connection etc. etc.

What do you guys think??

The rise & fall of Scarfo was made as i have posted b-4 but no one now can find it..Mobfathers/ Nicky Scarfo w/Bill Curtis back in the early 90s.. I have it but it's totally shot..my wife cleaned out our guest bedroom along w/ all my shit,videos ,guitars etc.& threw them into our shed without telling me when I was @ work,,I went batshit on her but she said I never went in there anymore anyways & we needed more room 4 our new black labs to sleep,,she is right but still ..now if I want something,i have 2 go out 2 the shed..fuck me...the guitars r back in the house though...

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: DE NIRO] #927766
01/26/18 11:20 PM
01/26/18 11:20 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline OP
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted by hoodlum

What do you guys think??

The rise & fall of Scarfo was made as i have posted b-4 but no one now can find it..Mobfathers/ Nicky Scarfo w/Bill Curtis back in the early 90s.. I have it but it's totally shot..my wife cleaned out our guest bedroom along w/ all my shit,videos ,guitars etc.& threw them into our shed without telling me when I was @ work,,I went batshit on her but she said I never went in there anymore anyways & we needed more room 4 our new black labs to sleep,,she is right but still ..now if I want something,i have 2 go out 2 the shed..fuck me...the guitars r back in the house though...

Don't you have a Man Cave? I thought every All-American family man had his own Man Cave.. wink

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: DE NIRO] #927767
01/26/18 11:25 PM
01/26/18 11:25 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline OP
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted by DE NIRO
HBO or Netflix need to make one, then maybe it will be well made.

Most definitely DeNiro..

If Netflix or HBO would use the American Horror/Crime Story format, but use it for mob stories written by great writers, it would be a HIT.. 100% guaranteed!!!

Last edited by BillyBrizzi; 01/26/18 11:25 PM.

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: BillyBrizzi] #927860
01/28/18 02:36 AM
01/28/18 02:36 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by hoodlum

What do you guys think??

Don't you have a Man Cave? I thought every All-American family man had his own Man Cave.. wink

Yes, I do...the other guest bedroom that is designed as a library....It is me, my wife & 3 labs in a 3 bedroom house,,ranch style.. tons of ground..basically in the fuckin woods...all my mob shit is in that room too,,,tons of books,,but what I was saying was that all the videos and such r in the fuckin' shed..VCR shit from back in the day..I even have illegal contraband (first press v.c.r. tapes of Tracy Lords) lurking about that I would imagine would garner a pretty penny back in the day...even the old lady enjoys a once in a while look @ the back in the day adult cinema & is wowed by Miss Lords prowess on screen .....it starts sometime shit up on a boring nite..marital bliss 4 those who still love each other after 17 yrs. of marriage!!

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: BillyBrizzi] #927974
01/29/18 11:25 AM
01/29/18 11:25 AM
BillyBrizzi Offline OP
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline OP
Underboss
Nothing wrong with it H, nothing wrong with it at all.. wink

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: olivant] #928269
02/02/18 01:26 PM
02/02/18 01:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

There's one other thing about this series. In the one about Massino, they stated that a capo spied a couple of FBI agents surveilling him, went after them, and murdered one agent and wounded another. That sounds preposterous. If it happened, the series did not comment on what happened to the capo. Has anyone heard of this?,

Another big fiction, Oli. In "King of the Godfathers" by Anthony DiStefano (one of the very few excellent Mob bios), the story comes out that the FBI agents were spotted and menaced, but not harmed. Massino was always courteous to FBI agents. In one incident recounted by DiStefano, Massino spotted a bug they planted in his social club, took it down, and presented it to an embarrassed agent.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: BillyBrizzi] #943012
06/10/18 01:32 PM
06/10/18 01:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In the AHC Mafia series they chronicle Brasco's undercover efforts. However, in another, they chronicle Carmine Galante's takeover of the heroin business in NY. However, neither mentions Frank Lewis nor does either chronicle mention the other. Certainly, they overlap. They both refer to the Pizza connection, but not much else. Can't understand it.

Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: Turnbull] #944065
06/17/18 09:28 PM
06/17/18 09:28 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Another big fiction, Oli. In "King of the Godfathers" by Anthony DiStefano (one of the very few excellent Mob bios), the story comes out that the FBI agents were spotted and menaced, but not harmed. Massino was always courteous to FBI agents. In one incident recounted by DiStefano, Massino spotted a bug they planted in his social club, took it down, and presented it to an embarrassed agent.

Well, I did some research and, indeed, something like that did happen. However, it appears that they were NY detectives Vendetti and Burke who were shot, not FBI. There were a succession of trials and appeals eventually resulting in the Mafiosi being convicted. Apparently, Burke's rendition of what happened was suspect.

Last edited by olivant; 06/17/18 09:29 PM.

Re: Mob anthology tv series [Re: BillyBrizzi] #949295
08/05/18 03:33 PM
08/05/18 03:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
AHC network broadcasts several organized crime (OC) episodes one of which tells about Arnold Rothstein's OC adventure. Although the episode touts Rothstein's foundational role establishing OC (such as mentoring Charlie Luciano), it concludes with his downfall and murder.

Had Rothstein lived, I wonder what his OC role would have continued to be. Like Luciano, he sought peaceable solutions to OC problems. I wonder though if he would have eventually come into conflict with Luciano for control of OC.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull