GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 83 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,152
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mafia Families in Canada #865693
11/05/15 08:54 AM
11/05/15 08:54 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline OP
furio_from_naples  Offline OP

naples,italy
The NY Five families are famous,but also the Canada had its mafia families apart the Rizzuttos and Cotronis.

Anyone know why isn't born a Canadian Commission ?

Musitanos:

Territory:Hamilton,Ontario

Bosses:

Dominic Musitano 1950s-1995
Pasquale "Pat" Musitano 1995-today

Members:unknown

Papalia crime family;

Luppino crime family;

At Montreal there are the Cotroni family that was the calabrian faction while the Rizzuto are the Siclian faction;

Siderno Group

Territory:Ontario

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865694
11/05/15 08:57 AM
11/05/15 08:57 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865705
11/05/15 12:24 PM
11/05/15 12:24 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
I've read that the Siderno group is very powerful.

They are everywhere, Canada, Australia, Italy of course and the rest of Europe..

Recently they committed mayor multi million euro fraud at the flower auction in Aalsmeer over here in the Netherlands.

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865708
11/05/15 01:57 PM
11/05/15 01:57 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
This is the bpower of the ndrangheta,same organization on Siderno in Italy and various gruop over the world that are semi indipendent except for the border of control.

Billy,I read that the ndranghetà in netherlands is very powerful,in an article is said that control an entire neighborhood in a big dutch city.

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865709
11/05/15 02:12 PM
11/05/15 02:12 PM
M
mike89 Offline
Made Member
mike89  Offline
M
Made Member
Are The Rizzuto's the only LCN family in Canada?

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865713
11/05/15 02:35 PM
11/05/15 02:35 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
This is the bpower of the ndrangheta,same organization on Siderno in Italy and various gruop over the world that are semi indipendent except for the border of control.

Billy,I read that the ndranghetà in netherlands is very powerful,in an article is said that control an entire neighborhood in a big dutch city.

They are very active over here according to the national police, but I haven't heard anything about controlling neighborhoods, I think that would also be not in their best interest because that requires too much visibility..

Their modus operandi is more focused on white collar crimes such as fraud, money laundering and supplying drug dealers..

So maybe they 'control' some neighborhoods in the way that they supply the local dealers, in that way it can be true I don't know.
But controlling neighborhoods in a way LCN did in places like Bensonhurst and Howard Beach, no that cannot be the case, they aren't entrenched enough and don't have enough manpower over here too do such a thing..

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865772
11/06/15 01:10 AM
11/06/15 01:10 AM
B
BronaZora Offline
Button
BronaZora  Offline
B
Button
The Mafia families in Canada are very diverse. From what I understand the 3 main cities are Montreal, Toronto, and Hamilton. Here's my guess on who's active:

Montreal
The Montreal Mob is probably a single family with two rival factions, Sicilians vs Mainland Southern Italians (Possibly Calabrese for most part). Though I think the beef is more about Rizzuto loyalists vs those who favored the old Cotroni regime. Either way I think the Montreal Mob is probably like the Chicago Outfit rather than your typical American LCN family. What I mean by that is they probably don't make guys the same way the LCN families do, and there are significant non-Italians in the group as well. Also considering the current leadership and their ties to Sicily, this family has strong ties to the Cun trera-Caruana Sicilian clan and I'm sure there are blood ties, this connection is what makes the family very powerful. Currently the Montreal Mob is under the control of the Sicilians, there's a new young leadership with Stefano Sollecito as the emerging boss. This power may be questioned soon when Arcadi and his two lieutenants, Del Balso and Giordano are released from jail, or perhaps not, we'll see what happens.

Toronto
Toronto is known to be controlled by the 'Ndrangheta clans for most part, while people do hear of the Siderno group, it's very important to understand that this is not a family, but rather a commission like body that was assembled to settle 'Ndrangheta affairs and disputes. From what I know there are about 7 or 8 'Ndrangheta families that operate in the Toronto region and they all have ties back to Calabria which makes them very powerful. There are also Sicilian mobsters operating in Toronto, the Cun trera-Caruana have presence there, also the remnant of Paul Volpe's crew (Former soldier of the Buffalo family), apparently this crew is headed by Peter Scarcella. The Sicilians in Toronto are obviously Rizzuto allies but I also hear that some of the 'Ndrangheta clans in Toronto are also Rizzuto's allies, while some of them are enemies.

Hamilton
In Hamilton you have the Musitano family, their origin is Calabrese but they are neither LCN nor 'Ndrangheta, yet they're respected and acknowledged in the underworld. My best description of them is they're like a glorified crew of some sort that was built in Canada rather than Italy. The other family is known as the Luppino family which from what I know were associated with or even part of the Papalia crew of the Buffalo family. The Violi brothers are in the Luppino family and if I were to take a guess, I would say the old Papalia crew is pretty much what the Luppino family is today, in other words they're the same family. I also know that these two families are rivals, the Musitanos being Rizzuto allies while the Luppinos are against them.

The biggest game is Canada is who controls the narcotics, and ultimately it's probably a bigger battle between the Montreal Mob and the 'Ndrangheta families of Toronto.

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865781
11/06/15 06:39 AM
11/06/15 06:39 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Think the [BadWord]-Caruana/Rizzuto ties died with Agostino. And I have this opinion that maybe Leonardo Rizzuto is in a leadership position now to be the olive branch between the new, young leadership and Arcadi & Del Balso, Giordano & Co. Not to mention Rocco Sollecito, Stefano's dad is still around and involved.

And according to Business & Blood, Arcadi has to worry about guys trusting him again.

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865832
11/06/15 07:01 PM
11/06/15 07:01 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Arcadi will be lucky if he lives a month after being released. I'm not so sure he has anything to come back to.

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865853
11/06/15 11:11 PM
11/06/15 11:11 PM
M
mike89 Offline
Made Member
mike89  Offline
M
Made Member
I brought this up about the rizzuto's not making people....I don't think they do

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: mike89] #865856
11/07/15 12:02 AM
11/07/15 12:02 AM
B
BronaZora Offline
Button
BronaZora  Offline
B
Button
Originally Posted By: mike89
I brought this up about the rizzuto's not making people....I don't think they do

That's my thinking as well, they probably see it as some old outdated tradition and the people that are high up in the group know who they are and so does everyone else around them (Sort of like the Outfit). This may also explain why Fernandez thought he was made. Though I'm sure Italians get a higher priority and an easier time to get into the group considering that it's still an Italian Mob.

Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
Think the [BadWord]-Caruana/Rizzuto ties died with Agostino.

Apparently Liborio Cun-trera is among the new leaders of the Rizzuto family, not sure what his connection is to the actual Sicilian clan but he does carry the surname, so it's highly likely that the relationship is still there.

Last edited by BronaZora; 11/07/15 12:11 AM.
Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865862
11/07/15 02:13 AM
11/07/15 02:13 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Yes I think the relationship is still there. Honestly, unless they all die I think they will continue a pretty close relationship as they have for years.

As for making folks we really don't know. We do know Vito Rizzuto treated Joe Bravo and folks like Desjardins like they were made, but I don't think they were. I also do think that is why so many were loyal to him before and after prison is because he was well known for bringing EVERYBODY together over the years. Yes those rebelled when he was away, but most went along with the show because they feared getting clipped like Nicolo Rizzuto was. If Vito doesn't go away none of this ever happens.

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: BillyBrizzi] #865874
11/07/15 06:43 AM
11/07/15 06:43 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
Are you completely sure this is correct?
My understanding was that they do in fact control a lot of territory, in Germany, Australia, Canada, it has been said that they are the only mafia in all five habitable continents.
It's not a street gang like presence, but I mean, this is the group that dug tunnels in the middle of the street in Calabrian cities, with no hint of reprisal...

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: dixiemafia] #865875
11/07/15 06:48 AM
11/07/15 06:48 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
I'm always reminded of the response when the Bonnanos offered Vito a capo slot;
They seemed genuinely unaware that the 20 or whatever soldiers was no longer a crew, but a full family, that was probably stronger than them...
Funny, I actually do,consider Vito a lot like Luciano in that he seemed to have no ethnic discrimination in regards to business, if you were Spanish, or French Canadian, of Irish, or Asian, or a Biker, or Blood, a deal come led be done...

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #865876
11/07/15 06:52 AM
11/07/15 06:52 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
I've asked the question a few times on the board, does anyone have info on the connection between New York and Toronto?
New York and Montreal?
Did Montreal form ties to the Gambinos? Did the Genovese form ties withToronto to keep the status quo?
How do the factions inside the wider Ø group impact alliances withNew York?
And the big X factor, how does Mexico affect the Canadian groups?
Any thoughts?

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: SinatraClub] #865881
11/07/15 07:13 AM
11/07/15 07:13 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
I thought that they were all basically the same family, formed with blood ties, I think they are still one family, on another note didn't the caruana [BadWord] like BUY the island of ARUBA? Lol

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: CabriniGreen] #865886
11/07/15 08:25 AM
11/07/15 08:25 AM
M
mike89 Offline
Made Member
mike89  Offline
M
Made Member
Has anyone ever heard of a making sesh ever happening in Montreal?....

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: dixiemafia] #865894
11/07/15 10:42 AM
11/07/15 10:42 AM
C
cdn_wiseguy Offline
Button
cdn_wiseguy  Offline
C
Button
Arcadi made a lot of enemies before he went to jail. But he had a strong crew too. So it wouldn't surprise me either way, if he didn't last a month or re-gained his position within the leadership

Last edited by cdn_wiseguy; 11/07/15 10:47 AM.
Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: CabriniGreen] #865909
11/07/15 03:50 PM
11/07/15 03:50 PM
B
BronaZora Offline
Button
BronaZora  Offline
B
Button
Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
As for making folks we really don't know. We do know Vito Rizzuto treated Joe Bravo and folks like Desjardins like they were made, but I don't think they were. I also do think that is why so many were loyal to him before and after prison is because he was well known for bringing EVERYBODY together over the years. Yes those rebelled when he was away, but most went along with the show because they feared getting clipped like Nicolo Rizzuto was. If Vito doesn't go away none of this ever happens.

I guess what I was trying to say is that members like Desjardins and Bravo were like Guzik and Humphrey in the Outfit. In the sense that they were important members in the family, but can never be bosses.

Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
I've asked the question a few times on the board, does anyone have info on the connection between New York and Toronto?
New York and Montreal?
Did Montreal form ties to the Gambinos? Did the Genovese form ties withToronto to keep the status quo?
How do the factions inside the wider Ø group impact alliances withNew York?
And the big X factor, how does Mexico affect the Canadian groups?
Any thoughts?

I'm guessing that there's a relationship between the families of these cities but it's business only. New York has no say over Toronto or Montreal, the last time they tried to do anything was when Sal Montagna got deported and even then I'm not so sure the Bonnanos as a family had anything to do with it, perhaps it was Montagna acting on his own given that his chances of returning to NY were slim and he wanted to continue his Mob lifestyle in Canada, though to the bigger picture of that story it was more about the bigger Rizzuto enemies that actually carried those attacks, so with or without Montagna the same would have happened given the rival faction in Montreal being led by Joe Di Maulo and their allies in Hamilton (Luppinos/Violis) and Toronto (Some of the 'Ndrangheta families).

Originally Posted By: cdn_wiseguy
Arcadi made a lot of enemies before he went to jail. But he had a strong crew too. So it wouldn't surprise me either way, if he didn't last a month or re-gained his position within the leadership

He certainly did have a very strong crew, it's going to be interesting to see how this new leadership is going to handle this. I actually would not be surprised if they bring him into the fold to keep the peace and strengthen the family. On the other hand that's assuming he goes along with their plans because if not, they'll get rid of him.

Last edited by BronaZora; 11/07/15 03:58 PM.
Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: BronaZora] #866026
11/09/15 02:53 PM
11/09/15 02:53 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: BronaZora
Originally Posted By: mike89

That's my thinking as well, they probably see it as some old outdated tradition and the people that are high up in the group know who they are and so does everyone else around them (Sort of like the Outfit). This may also explain why Fernandez thought he was made. Though I'm sure Italians get a higher priority and an easier time to get into the group considering that it's still an Italian Mob.

Think the [BadWord]-Caruana/Rizzuto ties died with Agostino.

Apparently Liborio Cun-trera is among the new leaders of the Rizzuto family, not sure what his connection is to the actual Sicilian clan but he does carry the surname, so it's highly likely that the relationship is still there.

Of course there are still Cun-trera's in the Montreal group, like Liborio. But when people say the [BadWord]-Caruana/Rizzuto clan, they're usually referring to the exclusive Sicilian relationship which pretty much allowed the Rizzuto's to top the drug industry in Montreal. That relationship, doesn't exist anymore. While Rizzuto was in jail and after Nick & Nicolo had died, as well as Agostino, there were reports that the Cun-trera's were also friendly with the 'Ndrangheta clans that was supposedly against the Rizzuto's. There's a mention of there being a funeral for a high ranking 'Ndrangheta boss, and the [BadWord]'s , a large group of them were present at that funeral, and hopped on a Party bus afterwards with other 'Ndrangheta members and went to the reception of a [BadWord] who was getting married, in Business Or Blood.

And there's been some over on the RD forum who speculate that Agostino was the black sheep of the Cun-trera clan, and that that whole alliance hadn't been as close as always implied over the years. And that Agostino's relationship with the Sicilian Montreal clan stemmed from the fact that Agostino may have actually been a Montreal soldier before anything else, and that he was inducted under the Bonanno banner. As opposed to being a made member of the Siculiana clan like most of the older, more powerful Cun-trera/Caruana's were.

Long story short, there may still be some marriage ties, but as far as them being linked together as one big family connected by familial and marriage bloodlines, solely loyal to each other, that isn't the case anymore.

And there were actually two groups against the Rizzuto's, they both stemmed from the Rizzuto clan itself, ie. Di Maulo/Desjardin's/De Vito, but Montagna had his own group which consisted of Giuseppe LoPresti's kid, who had become bitter and blamed the Rizzuto's for his fathers death and Moreno Gallo, I believe. Those two groups had the similar goal of eradicating the Rizzuto's, which led to the confusion that they were all the same group, although they were at one point allies, I don't think we can say they were the same group. Somewhere along the lines, Montagna & Desjardin's had a falling out which led to Montagna's death.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 11/09/15 02:59 PM.
Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: SinatraClub] #866049
11/09/15 07:15 PM
11/09/15 07:15 PM
C
cdn_wiseguy Offline
Button
cdn_wiseguy  Offline
C
Button
Sinatra,

I think you're right about the two groups being against the Rizzuto's until the falling out of Montagna and Desjardins.

I'm curious as to why you think Moreno Gallo was with the Montagna group?

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: SinatraClub] #866097
11/10/15 07:53 AM
11/10/15 07:53 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
Good Post, real interesting stuff...
I gotta get that Business and Blood book now...
I like how you break down the factions, it's impossible to explain the intrigues without doing so.
If you can add anything else, I would be most interested in reading/hearing it...

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #866208
11/11/15 11:16 AM
11/11/15 11:16 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy
[img:center]http://postimg.org/image/mm75q0ed7/full/[/img]

The Countrera-Caruana-Rizzuto Family Tree

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: CabriniGreen] #866291
11/12/15 02:04 PM
11/12/15 02:04 PM
S
slumpy Offline
Capo
slumpy  Offline
S
Capo
Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
I'm always reminded of the response when the Bonnanos offered Vito a capo slot;
They seemed genuinely unaware that the 20 or whatever soldiers was no longer a crew, but a full family, that was probably stronger than them...
Funny, I actually do,consider Vito a lot like Luciano in that he seemed to have no ethnic discrimination in regards to business, if you were Spanish, or French Canadian, of Irish, or Asian, or a Biker, or Blood, a deal come led be done...

I sometimes wonder if their offer was a trap to lure Vito to NY so they could whack him. No evidence, obviously, just pure speculation... But the offer seems ignorant to me. Why invite a man whom is (even at that time) for all intents and purposes a boss of his own family to be a caporegime in NYC? If they were aware of Montreal's growing autonomy (and it seems highly unlikely to me that they didn't) and that wasn't the reason Sciascia was hit, then there's no real incentive to invite Vito to do anything.

On the other hand, the invitation could also just been to cover their tracks. IIRC Massino wanted to misdirect the Rizzuto suspicion elsewhere, so perhaps the invitation was simply to make them believe everything was business as usual. Could be their autonomy didn't really matter so long the drug racket continued to operate through the Bonnanos.

Anyway, I've always wondered what the motivation was to extend the invite. It just seems odd when you consider the overall picture.

Last edited by slumpy; 11/12/15 02:18 PM.
Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #866300
11/12/15 03:13 PM
11/12/15 03:13 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Your 2nd part slumpy is why they asked Vito to be a capo. Massino knew it wouldn't look like a mob hit if they asked Vito, but more than likely Vito already knew who it was as soon as he was told George was clipped. Plus if Vito would have taken it, he would have been a capo in Montreal, not NYC.

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: cdn_wiseguy] #866301
11/12/15 03:14 PM
11/12/15 03:14 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: cdn_wiseguy
Sinatra,

I think you're right about the two groups being against the Rizzuto's until the falling out of Montagna and Desjardins.

I'm curious as to why you think Moreno Gallo was with the Montagna group?

I say Gallo was with Montagna, because there's evidence that it was Gallo who transferred Vito's sports book in the Toronto area, Platinum SB, which he was assigned with overseeing in Vito's absence, to the Calabrian's. And the other smaller sports book of Vito's which was under Gallo's watch, had been transferred to Montagna. Other powers who sided with Montagna were Domenico Arcuri Sr. he's the one who made the introductions for Montagna to others in the Montreal milieu. Along with Acuri were Tony Suzuki, Larry Lo Presti, Joe Renda & Giuseppe Colapelle. Though Colapelle was a plant for Desjardin's and him feeding Desjardin's information about what Montagna had planned is what led to the two sides being against each other and Montagna's ultimate death. The attempt on Desjardin's life was the first shot and it's suspected to have come from Montagna, the incident where Desjardin's & a bodyguard, Jonathan Mignacca were basically ambushed by guys in baclava's carrying AK-47's. Another evidence of this being Montagna was the fact that the shooters may have been from a Haitian street gang, which is why they were firing wildly and didn't kill Desjardin's or his bodyguard, not even hitting them. Montagna often used and employed the Haitian gangsters to enforce his extortion schemes of the cafes that were once under Rizzuto control, because he didn't have enough men backing him of his own kind. Montagna was the only one known for using them pretty much so that pointed to him right there, and Desjardin's knew it. Montagna tried to deflect blame back to the Rizzutos and went as far as saying the hit was ordered by Libertina Rizzuto, Vito's mother & Nicolo's widow. All of this scheming led to Montagna being killed by Desjardin's supporters.

And the funeral I mentioned earlier where the Cun-trera's were present was for Cosimo Stalteri, and long time and well known enemy of Vito Rizzuto and his Sicilian camp. In the 60's Stalteri was the Camera Di Controllo for the Toronto 'Ndrangheta, and he was appointed by Giacomo Luppino, Paolo Violi's father-in-law. After this funeral both groups bordered a chartered bus and went to the wedding anniversary reception of a member of the Cun-trera's. Among the guests of that reception were numerous members of the Commisso Crime Family, known enemies of Rizzuto. Among those members of the Commisso's were Sam Calautti, a notorious hitman for the 'Ndrangheta. He was the suspected killer of Vito's man in Ontario (or maybe Toronto, I forget), Guy Panepinto. At the time, he was also among the top five suspects in the murder of Nicolo Rizzuto. This reception took place less than seven months after the murder of Agostino Cun-trera and his bodyguard, Gerlando Sciascia's son, Liborio. The surveillance captured showed the Cun-trera's & the Commisso clan in a state of relative peace and ecstasy, they were breaking bread with each other, which if Vito was around, was basically a mortal sin. But after observing that the Canadian law enforcement saw this as a shift in times where Blood Ties no longer mattered, and it was all about money.

And there is more than one reason why Massino offered Rizzuto a caporegime spot. The whole thing with Sciascia and throwing Vito off tracks were one. But another reason was to reign Vito in, honestly. After Sciascia died, Vito stopped kicking up to NY. Over the years as the Rizzuto's grew in power in Montreal, they started to send less and less of their earnings back to NY. But at the time of Massino's boss reign, they were DEFINITELY still kicking up. After Sciascia died, Vito completely cut off the NY Bonanno Family. This was during a time where the Bonanno's strength was waning greatly, and Montreal had surpassed them in power, they earned more money, they had more connections in Montreal, and because they were earning more than the Bonanno's in NY all together, as it is assumed, they WERE the stronger of the two. Vito knew it, Massino didn't have the guys or strength at the time to really combat Rizzuto & his clan. This was the beginning of every Bonanno of stature turning witnesses. And NY just couldn't do anything for Montreal, they couldn't stop the drugs from coming in or going out, they couldn't interfere with their grip on the construction industries in Montreal, and they couldn't shut Vito out politically. Vito had ALL the power in Montreal, and the fact of the Bonanno's being based in NY, the Montreal guys simply didn't NEED NY. Massino, naively believing that Vito had this pride in the Bonannos and felt that rising from a soldier, in NY terms, to a Capo of his own crew, would be some sort of honor to Vito, and would make him just forget about Gerlando Sciascia, who was basically Vito's best friend, named Vito the Capo of the "Montreal Crew". When actually Vito viewed it as a slap in the face, as technically there was no "Montreal Crew" for the Bonanno's any longer, in Vito's mind. They had outgrew the Bonannos in Montreal and had become their own family of sorts and Vito was BOSS, and had been for a long time, after taking over from his father. Massino actually sent Vitale down to Montreal to inform Vito of his "promotion" and the news that they were looking for whomever killed Sciascia, not the other way around. Vito knowing Massino was behind it already, in an eery display of his all knowing, had a emptied seat next to his, around a table while Vitale and a couple of NY Bonanno guys met with Rizzuto and a couple of his men, Vitale knew that the empty chair was an intended sign to Vitale and whomever sent him. He was basically telling them without saying anything, "where's my friend, where's my right hand? You guys did it, and I know it". And at this meeting Vitale testifies that Vito turned the promotion down and sent him back to NY with the message for Massino. Massino knew he'd lost Montreal and just chalked it up as a loss. Which I think is a testament to Massino and his prowess as a boss, while he clearly loss face in Montreal, he knew there was little he could do about it, and basically that was the last time Massino had contact with Vito. I don't think the later Bonannos, and Massino and the following bosses, really had a good idea of what was going on in Montreal, Massino and majority of the Bonanno's considered Sciascia as simply his soldier, and later his Capo, who'd come there from Montreal, when in all actuality, he was Vito's eyes and ears in NY, basically in Cosa Nostra terms, he was the closest thing to Vito's "underboss". And killing him severely soured Rizzuto on the Bonannos. And theres more evidence that they simply just didn't get it by sending Montagna down there. He had to find out the hard way that while he may have been a mob boss in NY, in Montreal, he was nothing.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 11/12/15 09:47 PM.
Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: SinatraClub] #866415
11/12/15 11:52 PM
11/12/15 11:52 PM
B
BronaZora Offline
Button
BronaZora  Offline
B
Button
[quote=cdn_wiseguy]
And the funeral I mentioned earlier where the Cun-trera's were present was for Cosimo Stalteri, and long time and well known enemy of Vito Rizzuto and his Sicilian camp. In the 60's Stalteri was the Camera Di Controllo for the Toronto 'Ndrangheta, and he was appointed by Giacomo Luppino, Paolo Violi's father-in-law. After this funeral both groups bordered a chartered bus and went to the wedding anniversary reception of a member of the Cun-trera's. Among the guests of that reception were numerous members of the Commisso Crime Family, known enemies of Rizzuto. Among those members of the Commisso's were Sam Calautti, a notorious hitman for the 'Ndrangheta. He was the suspected killer of Vito's man in Ontario (or maybe Toronto, I forget), Guy Panepinto. At the time, he was also among the top five suspects in the murder of Nicolo Rizzuto. This reception took place less than seven months after the murder of Agostino Cun-trera and his bodyguard, Gerlando Sciascia's son, Liborio. The surveillance captured showed the Cun-trera's & the Commisso clan in a state of relative peace and ecstasy, they were breaking bread with each other, which if Vito was around, was basically a mortal sin. But after observing that the Canadian law enforcement saw this as a shift in times where Blood Ties no longer mattered, and it was all about money.

Either there's something off about the information you're giving or I had it wrong all along. Here are my issues with this post:

- Why would Giacomo Luppino appoint Stalteri to be the Camera Di Controllo for Toronto? As far as I'm concerned the Luppino family is not 'Ndrangheta, so Giacomo had no say in such matters.

- It's still unclear which family Calautti belonged to exactly. We do know that he was a 'Ndrangheta hitman and there's suspicion that he killed Vito's father (Though not confirmed), but it's unclear whether the Rizzuto's killed him or not. There's a chance that he was killed by one of the 'Ndrangheta families over internal 'Ndrangheta disputes in the area (The same goes for the Verduci hit).

- Not all 'Ndrangheta families were Vito's enemies, some were in fact allies. As a matter of fact the Commisso family were known to be a Rizzuto allies in the Toronto area, the DeMaria family on the other hand were known to be Vito's enemies. So this whole Commisso's and Cun-trera/Caruana's getting together is not all that surprising given the fact that besides alliance, there's business to be made.

I doubt we'll know the full truth, but I grew up in Hamilton and have lived in the Greater Toronto Area all my life, so let's just say that I hear things locally.

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #866431
11/13/15 02:59 AM
11/13/15 02:59 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
I didn't say the Rizzuto's killed him, but at a time where lines were clearly blurred, and the Sicilian/Calabrian beef were still reported to have been going on, it was just suspect that he was present at a Sicilian function when like I said, at the time he was one of the top five suspects for the murder of Nicolo Rizzuto. And seven months after Agostino was killed, assumingly by a Calabrian clan from the Greater Toronto Area. And literally everything I mentioned came from Antonio Nicaso and the Business or Blood book, of course you can't put everything put all your faith in print. But I'm almost certain the Luppino's were a Calabrian 'Ndrangheta clan mixed up with Maggadino's Ontario crew. And it was assumed back during those times that the Ontario Calabrian's were all just a part of Maggadino's Buffalo Mob, which over the years has proven to not be so accurate. And in most sources today, the Luppino's are identified as a Calabrian 'Ndrangheta clan.

According to Nicaso in 1962 Stalteri was elected to the position of Camera Di Controllo and the other calabrian bosses. I had have much reason to doubt that to be honest. The Comisso's have also mostly always been identified by the RCMP & the press has Rizzuto enemies, not exactly allies. During the time of Vito however, he had everyone working together, but once he went to prison, old feuds and vendetta's were pushed to forefront and it seems that working relationship between the Siciians & Calabrians, stalled for that moment in time. Like I said, you can't put everything in print, and I could be completely wrong about this, but I just don't think I am in this case (regarding everything I said in the above post.)

Here's another tidbit, Ken Murdock, the guy convicted for killing Pops Papalia on the orders of the Musitano's. It's always been suspected that the Rizzuto's perhaps backed the Musitano's in that hit and their attempts to establish themselves in Toronto by killing off other Calabrian's. Anyway, Murdock once told Crime Reporter James Dubro, that Pat Musitano "wanted to kill Remo Comisso, Johnny K9, the Luppino's and a host of other people. Pat was going crazy with this Godfather non-sense." Now that sentence doesn't put much into perspective but IF Vito were backing or at least had given his okay or his nod of approval toward the Musitano's plans, thats one thing to do away with the always peaceful relationship of the Rizzuto's & Comisso's.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 11/13/15 03:09 AM.
Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: dixiemafia] #866447
11/13/15 01:51 PM
11/13/15 01:51 PM
S
slumpy Offline
Capo
slumpy  Offline
S
Capo
Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
Your 2nd part slumpy is why they asked Vito to be a capo. Massino knew it wouldn't look like a mob hit if they asked Vito, but more than likely Vito already knew who it was as soon as he was told George was clipped. Plus if Vito would have taken it, he would have been a capo in Montreal, not NYC.

I just assumed that since Sciascia was, in theory, the capo of the montreal crew and lived primarily in NYC that they would expect the same of Vito.

Re: Mafia Families in Canada [Re: furio_from_naples] #866458
11/13/15 03:14 PM
11/13/15 03:14 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Brona, I actually think Calauti was hit by the Rizzuto faction simply for the fact it was thought through most circles that he was in fact the one to at least kill Nicolo Rizzuto. If not, he could have been given up under the theory of peace. Who knows at this point though.

I do think Verduci was not killed by the Rizzuto's though.

Slumpy, I just don't see Vito going to NYC. I'm not sure if the Rizzuto's even trusted NY, much less after George Sciascia was killed. I'm not even sure NY would take him being a capo either, but who knows. I just think at that point Vito didn't want to be in NY with the laws getting tougher and with RICO, etc. You have to remember that Canada is still in the 50's with their laws compared to the U.S.

Last edited by dixiemafia; 11/13/15 03:14 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull