GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,355
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,736
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,283
Posts1,057,854
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 39 of 45 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: XDCX] #809952
10/24/14 01:19 PM
10/24/14 01:19 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally Posted By: XDCX
Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Agreed! THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE was the first book I received as a gift. So like you, I grabbed books 1-5 (because 7 wasn't out yet) and I've loved the series since then. It's been years since I've read them. In fact, prior to this run, I hadn't read a Harry Potter book since book 7 was released back in 2007!

Same here. I tore through Book 7 in just a few days after it's release, and (until a couple weeks ago) hadn't revisited the series. I re-read THE SORCEROR'S STONE on my flight back from Maryland a couple weeks ago, and am finishing up CHAMBER OF SECRETS right now. There has been no other series of books that has captured my imagine quite like the Potter series. I literally feel like a spectator at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry while reading them.

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Each to their own i guess.. smile

You should give them a shot DE NIRO. You just might like them! smile

No thank you, i'm not into fantasy books, i only tend to read True Crime books..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #813694
11/14/14 11:53 AM
11/14/14 11:53 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

My second book of the series behind THE GOBLET OF FIRE. What I loved most about this book and was saddened that the film didn't dive more into was Voldemort's back story. There were 4 separate occasions that Harry and Dumbledore delved into the Pensieve but only 2 made it into the film. I definitely enjoyed learning more about Voldemore and while it wasn't necessary to the film, I still would have liked to see these images on screen. This book also does leave you with a great cliffhanger and set up for THE DEATHLY HALLOWS!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #818920
12/15/14 01:32 PM
12/15/14 01:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I just finished Eugenie Scott's Evolution vs. Creationism. Her approach was to present state laws, court cases, testimony, school board policies and presentations, and books and articles about either.

Creationism and its adaptation, Intelligent Design (ID), are, essentially, Evidence Against Evolution (EAE). I've read several tomes on Creationism such as The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel and Of Pandas and People by William Dembski et al both of which are EAE. None of the Creationism tomes provides any science to support their thesis although they punctuate their argument with contentions such as Irreducible Complexity which itself has no scientific support.

In any case, I recommend Scott's tome and others on this subject.

Last edited by olivant; 12/15/14 01:35 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #821351
12/31/14 01:33 PM
12/31/14 01:33 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Almost finished this book about the disappearances of two hunters from suburban Detroit, David Tyll & Brian Ognjan.

18 years later, two brothers, JR Duvall & Coco Duvall, were convicted and sentenced to life for their murders, despite no physical evidence tying them to the crime.

They allegedly beat them to death, fed them to pigs and junked their Ford Bronco.

The eyewitness testimony that ultimately damned them was harrowing and gripping.

Very good read. I started reading this and the Al De Meo book at the same time but this book stole my attention.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #822419
01/06/15 08:09 AM
01/06/15 08:09 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
A good one I got for Christmas. BUNKER HILL, A CITY, A SIEGE, A REVOLUTION.

Excellent book about the start of the revolution against those pesky Brits whistle

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: olivant] #822536
01/06/15 05:05 PM
01/06/15 05:05 PM
Midwest
LittleNicky Offline
Underboss
LittleNicky  Offline
Underboss
Midwest
Originally Posted By: olivant
I just finished Eugenie Scott's Evolution vs. Creationism. Her approach was to present state laws, court cases, testimony, school board policies and presentations, and books and articles about either.

Creationism and its adaptation, Intelligent Design (ID), are, essentially, Evidence Against Evolution (EAE). I've read several tomes on Creationism such as The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel and Of Pandas and People by William Dembski et al both of which are EAE. None of the Creationism tomes provides any science to support their thesis although they punctuate their argument with contentions such as Irreducible Complexity which itself has no scientific support.

In any case, I recommend Scott's tome and others on this subject.

I still don't get why this issue is so contentious. It strikes me as navel gazing. What is the harm in allowing people to believe this? So you can lord how much brighter you are than a working class guy (not really on your own ability to comprehend the actual science but to repeat the talking points of some expert)? People are probably happier and more content overall if they can at least believe it has some ultimate purpose.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #822580
01/06/15 11:38 PM
01/06/15 11:38 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I just finished reading With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge, The harrowing story of a Marine mortar man who saw action on Peleliu and Okinawa in WW2.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #824033
01/14/15 07:06 PM
01/14/15 07:06 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
interested in Marilyn Monroe and joe DiMaggio, then read "joe and Marilyn" great read!

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #824082
01/15/15 06:17 AM
01/15/15 06:17 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS

It's the end of the HARRY POTTER series and I'm sad. This is one of my all-time favorite stories and it's finally over. I definitely enjoyed the books more so than the films (with maybe the exception of THE GOBLET OF FIRE). What I didn't like about THE DEATHLY HALLOWS films is I felt there was too much fluff to try and make the last book 2 movies. The book was pretty straight forward and the pacing was fine. However, I do feel that the last half of the book (particularly talking about the last 3 Horcruxes) felt a little rushed since we didn't get into those until at least halfway through this book. An excellent series for anyone who hasn't read them yet. I'm wondering how the 3 Hogwarts Library books are (I'm starting those next: QUIDDITCH THROUGH THE AGES, FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM, AND THE TALES OF BEEDLE THE BARD).

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #825457
01/24/15 10:05 AM
01/24/15 10:05 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

QUIDDITCH THROUGH THE AGES

The first from the Hogwarts Library collection. An easy read at just around 100 pages that goes into some back story about how the game of Quidditch was created, the different teams, rules, advancements in brooms, etc. The only reason I purchased this collection was due to the positive reviews on Amazon. Honestly, I felt this book to be rather unnecessary personally.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #825870
01/26/15 05:29 PM
01/26/15 05:29 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Just finished "Special Deluxe," by Neil Young. Could have been subtitled, "My Life as a Car - an Auto-Biography." Young has been fascinated by cars since he was a little kid. He offers a thin account of his life circulated around the cars his family and then he owned. Not a lot of detail about his early groups, Buffalo Springfield, CSNY or Crazy Horse, but plenty about the cars he bought impulsively. He has a weakness for huge, old American cars, like Buick Roadmasters, Lincoln Connies, and hearses (good for moving equipment). It was pretty interesting in a modest, unassuming way. But Young couldn't resist getting preachy at the end about emissions, etc. Quick read. Recommended.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Turnbull] #825874
01/26/15 05:45 PM
01/26/15 05:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
But Young couldn't resist getting preachy at the end about emissions, etc.

I'll bet. He's the original hippie nature nut. Young makes Carl Hiaasen look pro-development. And that's really saying something.

Talented guy, though. I like some of his early stuff.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #826214
01/29/15 11:44 AM
01/29/15 11:44 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM

Another easy but dull read. This just covers beasts that J.K. Rowling has (mostly) created from A-Z. I'm really curious how they are planning on making this into a movie as this in no way, shape, or form tells any story. THE TALES OF BEEDLE THE BARD had better deliver; otherwise this Hogwarts Library has been a complete waste of time and money!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #826416
01/30/15 06:14 PM
01/30/15 06:14 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
Just read

Book was written by a guy with only his left eyelid. The author had a stroke and suffered from "locked in syndrome." True story, kind of depressing but a good read

Quarter of the way through

The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.
Walter Sobchak: You mean... beyond pacifism?

Walter Sobchak: This guy f*cking walks. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #827080
02/05/15 11:19 AM
02/05/15 11:19 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

THE TALES OF BEEDLE THE BARD

The third and final book of the Hogwarts Library and the only one worth reading in my opinion. This book has five different tales and was the most enjoyable book and the only one with any substance. One of the tales is THE TALE OF THE THREE BROTHERS which was the story in THE DEATHLY HALLOWS. Overall, I was very disappointed with the Hogwarts Library. I really felt it was an unnecessary addition to the Harry Potter series. I feel the only one worth releasing would have been THE TALES OF BEEDLE THE BARD. If anything further is added to the Harry Potter series, I would love a prequel to THE SORCERER'S STONE dealing more with Voldemort and his early days leading up to his rise to power.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #830394
02/25/15 04:47 PM
02/25/15 04:47 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

THE BEATLES

Only the third Beatles book I've read behind THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY and A HARD DAY'S WRITE. At first I was a little hesitant as this book was written in 1968 and hadn't been altered and at the beginning, gave a lot of back story about characters other than The Beatles (I was wanting the author to get back to the Beatles more). However, once I read more, I'm really glad he included a lot of this back story. It was interesting to me to see how the Beatles parents and family members handled the boys success among many other behind-the-scenes stories. This is the only authorized book on the Beatles ever and even though the book itself hasn't been changed since it's original publication, the author does give updates since then in the introduction and 1985 postscript. Overall, a great and in depth book that pulls back the curtain on the boys (which doesn't always show them in the brightest of lights). I borrowed it through my local library and wound up buying it from Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation DE NIRO. Next up probably are the John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison books!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #830585
02/26/15 06:15 PM
02/26/15 06:15 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
Just read an interesting Kurt Vonnegut short story "Harrison Bergon"

Just started

Walter Sobchak: This guy f*cking walks. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #858413
09/01/15 11:48 AM
09/01/15 11:48 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Bump

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #858421
09/01/15 12:39 PM
09/01/15 12:39 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Currently reading Trunk Music by Michael Connelly.

Tangentially mob related.

I like the Bosch novels but I got to say I find it hackneyed that Connelly sees it necessary to include a love interest for Bosch in every single novel.

It's contrived, unnecessary and adds nothing to the novels - particularly the last one I finished, The Last Coyote.

If anything, the romantic digression took away from that book. It was sharp and focused before the inconceivable, and all too predictable, love interest side story.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Moe_Tilden] #858442
09/01/15 02:33 PM
09/01/15 02:33 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Just finished reading "The Black Country", by Alex Grecian, which is book two in Grecian's "Scotland Yard Murder Squad" series. I thought it was every bit as good (if not better) than his first novel (The Yard). I'll definitely be picking up books 3 and 4 in the near future.

I'm currently immersed in James Ellroy's "Perfidia", which is book one in the "new L.A. Quartet series." Nobody writes about 1940's era L.A. like Ellroy. The man is a master. I'm only about a hundred pages in, but so far I am transfixed. Ellroy hasn't lost his touch.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #859789
09/11/15 08:16 PM
09/11/15 08:16 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

THE KILL BILL DIARY

I read this when it originally came out, probably about 10 years ago now. A neat little diary about my favorite movie of all-time, written by probably my favorite villain of all-time. It can be short in parts, wishing he would expand in others; but there are some nice behind-the-scenes stories David recounts first hand. If you like the movie or David Carradine, I'd say it's definitely worth a read. I had heard recently Pam Grier kept a diary while making JACKIE BROWN but that it might not see the light of day until after she passes unfortunately (if, even then).

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #861585
09/29/15 03:24 AM
09/29/15 03:24 AM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
I plan to buy more books, and it would be fun to review them here on the GBB. Here goes review #1.

Steve-O

Professional Idiot: A Memoir

I usually like to read biography books based on rock stars. They live crazy lives that could be fiction but are in fact reality. Celebrities and rock stars have so many crazy and extraordinary experiences. This book is an autobiography about Stephen "Steve-O" Glover, one of the members of Jackass. It follows the life of Steve-O from being a spoiled kid to being a successful entertainer in his own right with many highs, bumps and pitfalls in between. Steve-O is the son of a successful business man who was an offshore representative of Coca-Cola that eventually became the president of Nabisco. Steve-O goes to college to impress his parents but eventually drops out and becomes homeless with dreams of making it big in the entertainment industry. This is a good story including Steve's life from being homeless and sleeping on roofs, to living in a luxury apartment, losing his mind on drugs and eventually becoming better. It's a very entertaining read and I recommend it.

You talkin' to me?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Blake] #861788
09/30/15 02:12 PM
09/30/15 02:12 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Not going to read that but I do like your review and interested to read your next review.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #862548
10/05/15 10:33 PM
10/05/15 10:33 PM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

The Dirt is an autobiography of Mötley Crüe written by all four members being Tommy Lee, Nikki Sixx, Vince Neil and Mick Mars. The band members take turns telling stories which becomes one cohesive story detailing the band members early lives, success with the band and eventual break up. Some segments are written by their manager at the time and some are written by music executives. This book is absolutely insane. It is filled stories of sex, drugs and rock n' roll. All four members were addicts and it's a wonder they are still alive after reading some of the stories. This is a very entertaining read and I highly recommend it.

You talkin' to me?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Blake] #862600
10/06/15 10:25 AM
10/06/15 10:25 AM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted By: Blake
The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

The Dirt is an autobiography of Mötley Crüe written by all four members being Tommy Lee, Nikki Sixx, Vince Neil and Mick Mars. The band members take turns telling stories which becomes one cohesive story detailing the band members early lives, success with the band and eventual break up. Some segments are written by their manager at the time and some are written by music executives. This book is absolutely insane. It is filled stories of sex, drugs and rock n' roll. All four members were addicts and it's a wonder they are still alive after reading some of the stories. This is a very entertaining read and I highly recommend it.

I like the idea that the book involves all memebers and others perspectives.

I may read this, have two books going now, ( Murder Machine & a James Joyce book.

Thanks B

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Blake] #862604
10/06/15 11:13 AM
10/06/15 11:13 AM
H
Holyoke Offline
Capo
Holyoke  Offline
H
Capo
I'm a huge Crüe fan, thanks for posting this. I can only imagine some of the stories they have. I'd love to see them in the Rock N' Roll hall of fame someday.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #862625
10/06/15 03:55 PM
10/06/15 03:55 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Thomas Sackville and the Shakespearean Glass Slipper, by Sabrina Feldman.

http://www.amazon.com/Sackville-Shakespe...asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I have a weakness for fringe theories, including Shakespeare authorship questions. This a fascinating book that expresses a theory that is similar to the Earl of Oxford ideas (i.e, that Oxford's life seems much more closely connected to the Shakespeare canon than than William Shakespeare's life does), but puts forth Sir Thomas Sackville as the likely real author. Sackville fits better in various ways - he lived longer than Oxford and so doesn't require a complicated explanation for completion of the later Shakespeare plays; and Sackville was also an innovative poet and dramatist as a young man, before turning to a life of public service (he ended up as Lord Treasurer under both Elizabeth and James).

Shakespeare authorship is a very interesting field now: various plays have been added to the canon by orthodox scholars in recent years, as co-written by Shakespeare. There's now a lot of debate about second-rate versions of many of the plays that were for many years seen as pilfered, unauthorized versions, but are now receiving reconsideration as edited, popularized versions of court productions that the common Londoner might enjoy. Doctor Feldman (a physicist at the Jet Propulsion Lab in California) has an earlier book that postulates that William Shakespeare of Stratford wrote this line of crowd-pleasing plays, plus others that nowadays are known as "the apocryphal plays"?":

http://www.amazon.com/Apocryphal-William...asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Last edited by mustachepete; 10/06/15 03:57 PM.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #864828
10/27/15 07:19 PM
10/27/15 07:19 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
I don't know of I will read more of the series but it was a good read, can't go wrong with a classic

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #864835
10/27/15 07:42 PM
10/27/15 07:42 PM
F
flattax Offline
living on a shoe lace
flattax  Offline
living on a shoe lace
F
Button
Reading Ann Coulter's book currently!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: flattax] #864997
10/29/15 07:12 AM
10/29/15 07:12 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Greg Iles NATCHEZ BURNING.

Very good read!!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Page 39 of 45 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull