GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Irishman12, 2 invisible), 131 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,349
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,726
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,816
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When I read the book, I always imagined... #49308
03/12/03 09:04 PM
03/12/03 09:04 PM
Halifax, Canada
Carmella Corleone Offline OP
Button
Carmella Corleone  Offline OP
Button
Halifax, Canada
That johnny Fontane was blonde...

Who did you picture when you read Michael's or Vito's description? did you inmediatley imagine Al Pacino and Marlon Brando?

The book is excellent.

What a nice pear!

My Journal

Vito/Carmella Forever.
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49309
03/12/03 09:19 PM
03/12/03 09:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Ubet the book is excellent, CC!
I think Al Pacino perfectly fits my mental picture of Michael Corleone from the novel. But I always pictured the Don as someone smaller, portlier, perhaps older than Marlon Brando (not that I had any problem with Brando as Don--far from it!). Also, the cover of the first paperback edition had a drawing of Don Corleone that looked nothing like Brando. I guess I would have pictured Danny Aiello, Marc Lawrence or Anthony Quinn as closer to my mental image of the Don as I gathered it from the novel.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49310
03/12/03 09:25 PM
03/12/03 09:25 PM
DC
pacino princess Offline
Underboss
pacino princess  Offline
Underboss
DC
That is such a good question because when i first read it-although i had seen the film before-somehow Sonny wasnt so blonde and seemd to me to be older, and Fredo wasnt so dark-in terms of his hair and eyes, etc. I also pictured Kay as being much more sassy and a bit more sophisticated looking than she was portrayed by Diane Keaton.
Good question!

Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49311
03/12/03 10:51 PM
03/12/03 10:51 PM
cannoli Offline
Made Member
cannoli  Offline
Made Member
It was hard for me to envision the characters as anything except what they were in the movie, because the paperback version I got had a big picture of Marlon Brando as the Don on the cover, and about a zillion glossy pages inside of the movie. So much for the imagination.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49312
03/12/03 11:11 PM
03/12/03 11:11 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Jeez...I wish I remembered. Read the book for the first time almost 35 years ago ohwell

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49313
03/13/03 06:03 AM
03/13/03 06:03 AM
Puppeteer Offline
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Also, the cover of the first paperback edition had a drawing of Don Corleone that looked nothing like Brando. I guess I would have pictured Danny Aiello, Marc Lawrence or Anthony Quinn as closer to my mental image of the Don as I gathered it from the novel.
Turnbull,
If you have the 1st edition could you post a picture up? I'm curious.

Thanks
-Puppeteer

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49314
03/13/03 06:57 AM
03/13/03 06:57 AM
Alexander Supalov Offline
Underboss
Alexander Supalov  Offline
Underboss
Hi!

Originally posted by Carmella Corleone:
The book is excellent.
Actually, judged by any literature standards - bestselling *not* being one of them - the book is awful. It would have been completely and rightly forgotten by now without the films.

Back to the topic. I compared the book and the movies the other way round, for the reason stated above - I don't read pulp fiction, whatever sales it scratches up to. So, I had the brilliant film images in my head and was sometimes astonished by the discrepancies - as well as matches - between the book heroes and their on-screen representation.

Bad news first: James Caan is not Sonny from the book, just like John Casale is not Fredo - both appear much weaker and unserious in the film, to make place for Vito and Mike, apparently.

Kay is certainly less bleak in the novel than she's in Diane Keaton's screen image. I can't believe Mike loving her passionately - unlike Appolonia who can certainly "thunderbolt".

Marlon Brando is quite adequate and nearly undetachable from Don Vito's image - the trademark prying eyes being rather distracting in the movie once you know the true cause.

Al Pacino fits the bill absolutely. He *is* Michael - up to the point of reportedly having ancestry in Corleone, Sicily.

Tom Hagen and old Pete Clemenza are perfect. Young Clemenza is too jolly for my taste. Old Tessio lacks the "viperous" qualities mentioned in the book - the young one is better at that.

Most of the smaller supporting roles, with the notable exception of Luca Brasi and Paulie Gatto, are adequate.

Best regards.

Alexander

You may wish to browse this GF FAQ of mine before putting forward another frequently asked question.
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49315
03/13/03 09:12 AM
03/13/03 09:12 AM
Massachusetts
C
cicily Offline
Wiseguy
cicily  Offline
C
Wiseguy
Massachusetts
I agree the book was awful ....That whole Johnny Fontaine story as well as Lucy Mancini and the doctor were really boring...I found myself comparing Carmella in the book to the movie..am I right that in the movie the only words she spoke in English were" See your children first...I sent the the car for you a week ago!!! " The charaters in the movie were so well formed that herer we are still disecting them years and years later..in the book the characters were totlly forgetable...

Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49316
03/13/03 11:20 AM
03/13/03 11:20 AM
That apartment with the broken...
Fanucci's Revenge Offline
Made Member
Fanucci's Revenge  Offline
Made Member
That apartment with the broken...
Originally posted by pacino princess:
I also pictured Kay as being much more sassy and a bit more sophisticated looking than she was portrayed by Diane Keaton.
Although I agree Diane Keaton wasn't at all sassy, I think the character she played was quite sophisticated.

The book seemed to descibe Vito as being shorter and dumpier than Marlon Brando... that was the biggest contradiction as I was reading. But I just read the book a month ago, after watching the films so many times!

"Meet my nephew! How's business?"
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49317
03/13/03 07:22 PM
03/13/03 07:22 PM
kansas
indeterminate_x Offline
Made Member
indeterminate_x  Offline
Made Member
kansas
I unfortunately read the book after i saw the movie so I saw everyone as who played them.

"Fools are they, who die."
-Mario Puzo-
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49318
03/13/03 07:46 PM
03/13/03 07:46 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I could also see Dean Martin playing Johnny Fontane. That would be really interesting.

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49319
03/13/03 09:23 PM
03/13/03 09:23 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Puppeteer:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b]Also, the cover of the first paperback edition had a drawing of Don Corleone that looked nothing like Brando. I guess I would have pictured Danny Aiello, Marc Lawrence or Anthony Quinn as closer to my mental image of the Don as I gathered it from the novel.
Turnbull,
If you have the 1st edition could you post a picture up? I'm curious.

Thanks
-Puppeteer[/b]
I wish I could, Puppeteer. But I've read it so often that the covers are missing. All I've got is the text, held together with spit and tape.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49320
03/13/03 09:59 PM
03/13/03 09:59 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
lol lol lol

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49321
03/13/03 10:18 PM
03/13/03 10:18 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
[Linked Image]

He has but one heart.......

[Linked Image]

Uncanny....Scary, to say the least. lol

Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49322
03/22/03 09:53 PM
03/22/03 09:53 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
I read the book 1976 before I saw the movies in 1977. Mama Corleone was quite a shocker. She is very different that I have ever imagined. I always pictured her as a "catherine Scorsee" type, not this very buxom hot movie version of mama. Only Deana showed more cleavage than Mama. Mama Corleone is the orginal "hot mommy"

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49323
03/22/03 10:02 PM
03/22/03 10:02 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[Linked Image]

He has but one heart.......

[Linked Image]

Uncanny....Scary, to say the least. lol
Uncanny? No I see glaring differences. Dean Martin looks like Mr. Cool. He's hip! Al Martino looks as interesting as a sack of potatos

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49324
03/26/03 04:10 PM
03/26/03 04:10 PM
M
Make me an offer Offline
Associate
Make me an offer  Offline
M
Associate

Actually, judged by any literature standards - bestselling *not* being one of them - the book is awful. It would have been completely and rightly forgotten by now without the films
that's not necessarily correct. as contradictory as it seems, from an academic standpoint the most important thing about a book or other work of art may not be its technical achievement but thematic or historical value. for example consider japanese literature, one of the most "important" books is something called "The Tale of Genji" which is a for lack of a more apt description a comic book. what's significant about ToG is the fact that it portrays with such vividry the courtly life of that period of japanese history. a more acessible example would be shakespere, who although now revered, was in his time considered a hack, a close contemporary analogue for his plays would be what you'd see on UPN these days... quick sets designed for the masses using common gimicks and known gags that now seem intricate and sublime but mainly due to the fact that few extant works exist today from that time. was Casablanca a great movie? was Gatsby a great novel? both were panned critically for techinical merit upon release but have both proved worthy in the eyes of most readers and moviegoers

in the case of TGF, although it's the rare case that the movie is much better than the book, the HEART of what makes the movie great is stolen whole from the book. the themes of family, honor, vengence, loyalty etc that makes TGF the most important movie in history sprang not from Coppola's head but from Puzo's. the breathtakingly daring and plain never-before-done perspective of a humanized mob life from the eyes of the family which proved so influential in both literature and movies also sprang fully formed from the book. it's not a pretty read but Puzo's TGF is undoubtably a great book

Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49325
03/27/03 01:24 AM
03/27/03 01:24 AM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
i saw the movie first before reading the book. so while reading the book, i always imagined the characters from the movie. and i find them well-fit to their characters. . . in my imagination.

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49326
03/27/03 06:04 AM
03/27/03 06:04 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The novel's description of some of the characters is completely different from their screen portrayers. To be true to the novel Clemenza (Richard Castellano) and Luca Brasi (Lenny Montana) would have to change places (ie. in the novel Clemenza was tall, while Brasi was shorter and heavier). Also, in the novel Fredo was much more of an imposing guy; he was described as being much tougher.

Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49327
03/27/03 02:31 PM
03/27/03 02:31 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Carlo was blond, and well built in the book. James Caan wasn't as big as described in the book, but I can't think of anyone that could play the part better. I think Dean Martin would've been perfect as Johnny. Fredo is described as a pretty muscular guy, not at all like John Cazale. I thought Paulie was perfectly cast, but Lucy should've been better looking. Al Pacino is just as I pictured Michael, and Brando is not exactly as I pictured Vito, but I can't think of anyone that is.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... #49328
03/31/03 06:20 PM
03/31/03 06:20 PM
Here, There and Every where
Don Mafia Offline
Capo
Don Mafia  Offline
Capo
Here, There and Every where
I saw Al and Vito but I too saw Johnny blonde. I think a good book paints a vivid picture. Or at least it should!

"If a man could be truly judged by his words, you would be a fool."
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... [Re: Carmella Corleone] #858068
08/29/15 11:25 AM
08/29/15 11:25 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
It's kind of weird, but Joe Pesci was a lot closer physically to the book's description of Luca Brasi than Lenny Montana, and Pesci ended up carving a out a major career by playing Brasi-like characters over and over.

Jimmy Cagney would have been a good novel Brasi, and I think Richard Attenborough if he could shake the British accent.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... [Re: Carmella Corleone] #858163
08/29/15 11:52 PM
08/29/15 11:52 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Along those lines, why did Puzo describe Clemenza as immensely tall when Italians are not known for their height?

Then, when FFC casts the parts, he doesn't choose the taller Vigoda to play Clemenza.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: When I read the book, I always imagined... [Re: olivant] #858192
08/30/15 10:30 AM
08/30/15 10:30 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally Posted By: olivant
Along those lines, why did Puzo describe Clemenza as immensely tall when Italians are not known for their height?

I think he mentions it because it's unusual. He also mentions that Sonny was unusually tall for an Italian, and that Michael's long legs were unusual for a Sicilian.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull