GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Jimmy_Two_Times, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,356
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,218
Posts1,056,200
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? #848118
06/26/15 10:16 PM
06/26/15 10:16 PM
F
fergie Offline OP
Underboss
fergie  Offline OP
F
Underboss
It stays, if it goes now, it'll gain a guaranteed rep in 100 years as basically a swastika, and that's totally wrong

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848120
06/26/15 10:25 PM
06/26/15 10:25 PM
yigido Offline
Capo
yigido  Offline
Capo
I believe it should stay. If we ban flags for their history then we might ban every flag that existed.
And you cant ban a flag for the actions of some individuals.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848129
06/26/15 11:41 PM
06/26/15 11:41 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline
B
Underboss
NY
I've seen from digging around online that the Confederate flag wasn't even the flag of the Confederacy. It was apparently the north virginia battle flag or something like that. According to what I read, it only became popular throughout the south after the rise of the kkk. Nobody is banning it anyway, they just won't be flying it over state buildings and public property. That's fine with me tho, the civil war has been over for a long time now. They lost.

Make that coffee to go
Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: blacksheep] #848131
06/26/15 11:52 PM
06/26/15 11:52 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Agree, the Eleven States that took up the Confederate challenge were defeated.

Each State had their own colors, should they all be banned?

I say yes, you should not fly a defeated banner that stood against Old Glory.

smile

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848143
06/27/15 01:09 AM
06/27/15 01:09 AM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
1. It should be removed off my state's flag since we're the Magnolia State not Confedrate state.
2. It can stay up on people's personal display despite being a lost cause.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848162
06/27/15 07:01 AM
06/27/15 07:01 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Confederate flag is old news take it down who cares.

What I hate is The people who think it is a big deal. But when the same people think burning and stepping on the American flag in this country they have no problem with that at all.

If I see someone do that to the American flag they better have a lot of people around to protect their arse. I will admit I don't see a lot of that anymore. But during the Vietnam I did first hand.

only the unloved hate
Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: blacksheep] #848187
06/27/15 10:36 AM
06/27/15 10:36 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Originally Posted By: blacksheep
I've seen from digging around online that the Confederate flag wasn't even the flag of the Confederacy. It was apparently the north virginia battle flag or something like that. According to what I read, it only became popular throughout the south after the rise of the kkk. Nobody is banning it anyway, they just won't be flying it over state buildings and public property. That's fine with me tho, the civil war has been over for a long time now. They lost.

The Red Stars and Bars is a battle flag. It was NOT the flag of the Confederacy.

As for the rest I'm going to keep my mouth shut on this whole issue. Next you know it the South will be the only ones to ever own slaves as well. whistle

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: dixiemafia] #848189
06/27/15 10:48 AM
06/27/15 10:48 AM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
@Dixie,

We're all adults here.Unless a person is trolling or being rude/racist, people should feel free to express their opinions. BF, you and a few others here are actually from the South, so your opinions hold a lot of weight.

I have opinion about the topic, but I'm certain it's not as informed as a person who lives in the South or is from there.I grew up with lot of people from the Cackalackas(NC and SC) and Alabama so I do have some understanding of the what the flag means to them, but you should always feel comfortable stating your opinion.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848192
06/27/15 11:15 AM
06/27/15 11:15 AM
Good ole USA
R
rockstar_man45 Offline
Capo
rockstar_man45  Offline
R
Capo
Good ole USA
My thoughts: to waste all this time and energy on an outdated flag is really stupid and not even getting to the heart of the issue as to why this kid went off and killed 9 people. A flag is fabric, it's not an attitude. Dylan Roof didn't stab 9 people with a flag pole with a Confederate Flag.

That being said I do believe that the flag has no place at government buildings. We owe our respect to one flag, the stars and stripes. The Confederacy was defeated 150 years ago, they lost. But I will say that it's not just a pure symbol of hatred and oppression. It means a great many things, including to many Southerners who carry no prejudice.

We must protect the right of private citizens to fly it if they please. Banning it doesn't solve anything. It won't bring back 9 poor souls, it won't stop it being coveted by those who hold racism in their hearts, and it would be a form of censorship.

Pull it down from the capitol and government buildings. But defacing statues? Removing 'offensive' Confederate monuments? Rename schools and buildings? No.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: rockstar_man45] #848207
06/27/15 01:51 PM
06/27/15 01:51 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Originally Posted By: rockstar_man45
My thoughts: to waste all this time and energy on an outdated flag is really stupid and not even getting to the heart of the issue as to why this kid went off and killed 9 people. A flag is fabric, it's not an attitude. Dylan Roof didn't stab 9 people with a flag pole with a Confederate Flag.

That being said I do believe that the flag has no place at government buildings. We owe our respect to one flag, the stars and stripes. The Confederacy was defeated 150 years ago, they lost. But I will say that it's not just a pure symbol of hatred and oppression. It means a great many things, including to many Southerners who carry no prejudice.

We must protect the right of private citizens to fly it if they please. Banning it doesn't solve anything. It won't bring back 9 poor souls, it won't stop it being coveted by those who hold racism in their hearts, and it would be a form of censorship.

Pull it down from the capitol and government buildings. But defacing statues? Removing 'offensive' Confederate monuments? Rename schools and buildings? No.

Nets, pretty much what was said above is pretty much what I agree with and I'm a staunch Confederacy advocate since so much of my family fought in the war (as did many that fought for the Union as well, I do support BOTH sides believe it or not). Most of the time it's the battle flag that's flown anyways and that is the wrong flag that should be flying to begin with, but none should be flying over gov't grounds unless they are honoring every flag the city/state has ever been under like Pensacola Florida does.

As for what the Confederate flag means to me it means Southern heritage. Standing up for what we thought was right at the time. Like it or not slavery was apart of AMERICAN SOCIETY at the time, on BOTH SIDES of the issue. That is not what I'm celebrating or honoring when I say I honor the flag. Just like the U.S. flag, I support it but not everything associated with it. I've seen a lot white and black stand up for the rebel flags as we kind of take pride in being from the South since we are looked down upon from other areas. I'd say there is less racism here now than compared to other states and areas. But what chaps my ass is to be called a racist because I support the flags, that is more racist than I am flying the damn flag.....lol.

But no matter what people will call us racist for supporting the flag so I'm in a no win situation and the main reason I don't care to talk about it anymore.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848225
06/27/15 03:07 PM
06/27/15 03:07 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
In an area where I live I once noticed a confederate flag being flown over a U.S. MARINES flag, on a beach.

I noticed this on the way out towards the Ocean and pointed it out to my friends on the boat, when returning several hours later it was gone.

We heard later in that weekend that it had caused an altercation with several Vets who were also on the beach and the flag was taken down, by them, with extreme force.

The man flying the flag left and never returned as far as I know.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: DuesPaid] #848233
06/27/15 03:38 PM
06/27/15 03:38 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Would this even be a issue if that nut job didn't kill those people in Charleston?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: rockstar_man45] #848240
06/27/15 04:23 PM
06/27/15 04:23 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Dylan Roof didn't stab 9 people with a flag pole with a Confederate Flag.

There's an infamous photograph of a Black man being struck with an American flag in 1970s Boston, I believe around the City Hall area. People were protesting the "busing" issue.

One man held him up while another guy essentially stabbed him with the US flag.

For years I thought it had to be staged but it was a real picture. I won't post it here but easy to look up.

Worth noting that this ugly incident took place in one of the more progressive Northern states.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848250
06/27/15 05:44 PM
06/27/15 05:44 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
what else are you going to ban? are you going to erase history because you don't like history.

the confederate flag is a symbol of the young men who fought and died in warfare. I have family generations back who fought for Georgia in the civil war, my grandmother had a picture of her uncle who died in the civil war, he was 13 years old.

that's how young some of them were towards the end of the war, they fought and went down with honor, of the soldiers who died less than 1% owned slaves.

if you ban the flag over slavery, are you going to erase the first 15 presidents, who either owned or condoned slavery,

are you going to erase the burning of Atlanta where thousands upon thousands of women and children were burned to death.

if you start erasing history where does it end??

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #848255
06/27/15 06:14 PM
06/27/15 06:14 PM
S
sbhc Offline
Made Member
sbhc  Offline
S
Made Member
I was shocked to read that Warner Brothers have removed the flag from all official Dukes of Hazard merchandise, Apple have also removed it from their games.

This is a total overreaction imo, what's next, will they start rewriting history in case it causes offence to some special snowflake.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: getthesenets] #848258
06/27/15 06:25 PM
06/27/15 06:25 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Dylan Roof didn't stab 9 people with a flag pole with a Confederate Flag.

There's an infamous photograph of a Black man being struck with an American flag in 1970s Boston, I believe around the City Hall area. People were protesting the "busing" issue.

One man held him up while another guy essentially stabbed him with the US flag.

For years I thought it had to be staged but it was a real picture. I won't post it here but easy to look up.

Worth noting that this ugly incident took place in one of the more progressive Northern states.

Apparently the guy holding the flag was trying to hit the lawyer with the flag pole, but in the photo it looks like he's trying to spear him. It also appears that there's a man holding the lawyer in place for the man holding the flag to attack him, but he actually helped pick up the attorney after he was knocked down. Things aren't always what they seem. It turned out the that man with the flag was a teenager who had serious mental problems and allegedly killed his brother's girlfriend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soiling_of_Old_Glory
http://www.usnews.com/news/national/arti...mous-photograph

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #848266
06/27/15 06:46 PM
06/27/15 06:46 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
if you ban the flag over slavery, are you going to erase the first 15 presidents, who either owned or condoned slavery,

are you going to erase the burning of Atlanta where thousands upon thousands of women and children were burned to death.

Exactly. Sherman destroyed a lot of innocents livelihood and made them homeless. Funny how that is forgotten. If that was Lee or Forrest they would have been hung...

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: Faithful1] #848269
06/27/15 06:52 PM
06/27/15 06:52 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Apparently the guy holding the flag was trying to hit the lawyer with the flag pole, but in the photo it looks like he's trying to spear him. It also appears that there's a man holding the lawyer in place for the man holding the flag to attack him, but he actually helped pick up the attorney after he was knocked down. Things aren't always what they seem. It turned out the that man with the flag was a teenager who had serious mental problems and allegedly killed his brother's girlfriend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soiling_of_Old_Glory
http://www.usnews.com/news/national/arti...mous-photograph

F1,

Thanks for the correction.I saw a clip years ago that confirmed that it was NOT a staged photo,so I believed what my eyes saw. F the loser holding the flag pole as a weapon though. Guy in the Charleston killing will probably claim serious mental issues too.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #848270
06/27/15 07:02 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
what else are you going to ban? are you going to erase history because you don't like history.

the confederate flag is a symbol of the young men who fought and died in warfare. I have family generations back who fought for Georgia in the civil war, my grandmother had a picture of her uncle who died in the civil war, he was 13 years old.

that's how young some of them were towards the end of the war, they fought and went down with honor, of the soldiers who died less than 1% owned slaves.

if you start erasing history where does it end??

Interesting points, Binnie.
That's why I think that even with the most delicate topics, that people should be allowed to speak their opinions. Your comment about the age of the soldiers and the tiny % of them who owned plantations speaks to the ETERNAL issue of the "pezzonovante getting others to fight their wars" as written in the GF.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848272
Midwest
LittleNicky Offline
Underboss
LittleNicky  Offline
Underboss
Midwest
Jesus we are a childish society.

No discussion of the real issues- mental illness, what to do with mental illness, how to keep guns away from the mentally ill, etc.

Just blowhard, feel good herd mentality of "DOING SOMETHING". Even when the doing something is childish, dangerous iconoclastism. I respect the libs tho- with every crisis- they always play the blackmail game- it is always give us something we want completely unrelated to the real issues.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here
Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848286
06/27/15 08:21 PM
06/27/15 08:21 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
How will you keep a gun out of the hands of the mentally ill. When you can walk into any bodega in Harlem and after they know you. You can buy anything you want that is illegal like guns, drugs, etc.

There is a new show starting this Sunday on the Glenn beck channel starring four retired navy seals. They just sit and talk about what's going on in the world today. I found the promos very interesting. It is worth watching.

only the unloved hate
Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: getthesenets] #848290
06/27/15 08:40 PM
06/27/15 08:40 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Your comment about the age of the soldiers and the tiny % of them who owned plantations speaks to the ETERNAL issue of the "pezzonovante getting others to fight their wars" as written in the GF.

He was dead on too. Both sides had a draft going on and most had no choice but to fight. Some thought fighting was a better life than living life as a poor farmer as most Southerners were back then.

With the exception of my earlier family line in Virginia and North Carolina we owned ZERO slaves. My 4th Great Grandfather had the bright idea to move to Alabama from North Carolina (with a stop in Georgia in between) from his family who were pretty well off. I think his Father actually owned at least 13 slaves that we know of as they were willed to the kids, but the 4th was already in Alabama or Georgia when his Dad died so he didn't get the slave that was willed to him. From then on we were pretty freaking poor. Almost 200 years later and I live 20 miles West of where my family first moved to in Alabama. Some of my cousins still live on that land today. We had a good bit of land, but were nothing but poor farmers. That defined my whole family pretty much on both sides. My Mom's side was about an hour South of my Dad's, and they were just poor farmers and bootleggers as well. Her side definitely owned no slaves either.

But if you let the media tell it, we ALL owned slaves back then and that simply was not the case. We were all like Leonardo Di Caprio in Django and that definitely was not the case. Most of my folks grew up in freaking shacks. My Great Grandfather couldn't even read or write for God's sake. My Great Grandfather on my Mom's side lost his Dad at 4 and had to stay home to farm and make whiskey to support his family. Then lost two kids before they hit 30 on top of losing a brother when he was young too due to fever.

That tells you how great we were living before and after the Civil War. whistle

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: dixiemafia] #848296
06/27/15 09:24 PM
06/27/15 09:24 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Interesting post,Dixie. I'm glad you continue to post in this thread.

In the North, the freshly arrived immigrants...mostly poor Irish were sent into battle for the Union. If I had to guess, the male sons of the wealthy families in both the N and S had loopholes to avoid fighting.

This is slightly off topic, and again..not a Southerner so maybe it makes my opinion less valid , but I always felt that "white supremacy" "the klan" etc was a grand illusion meant to control and manipulate the poor and working class whites in the South and other parts of the country. Pezzonovante , is and was always interested in the color green primarily and if they were/are able to distract the masses and keep them divided, the focus is taken off of them and the things they do to maintain their wealth and power. I think it would startle some working class whites then and now if they realized that the pezzos. view them with as much disdain as they(some of the white working class) view Blacks and others.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: getthesenets] #848297
06/27/15 09:37 PM
06/27/15 09:37 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I think it would startle some working class whites then and now if they realized that the pezzos. view them with as much disdain as they(some of the white working class) view Blacks and others.

Wouldn't startle me. Wealthy WASPs hate everyone but themselves and money. They look down on EVERYONE.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: pizzaboy] #848301
06/27/15 10:00 PM
06/27/15 10:00 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I think it would startle some working class whites then and now if they realized that the pezzos. view them with as much disdain as they(some of the white working class) view Blacks and others.

Wouldn't startle me. Wealthy WASPs hate everyone but themselves and money. They look down on EVERYONE.

that is a true statement, and look at the way the draft worked. in every war if you were in college you got a deferment from war, wasps were the least of every combat veteran, especially in viet nam.

seems funny they are always on god's side. it's called programming, amd conditioning.

j. edgsr hoover was a typical wasp. that's the mindset.

im a wasp myself, and there our lots of us who never ate the ruling class horsehit.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848308
06/27/15 10:39 PM
06/27/15 10:39 PM
Past caring, then hang a left
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Past caring, then hang a left
Don’t worry Confederate flag supporters, you may have lost the battle but you haven’t lost the war! Oh wait.........

Last edited by helenwheels; 06/27/15 10:49 PM.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: pizzaboy] #848314
06/27/15 10:59 PM
06/27/15 10:59 PM
Good ole USA
R
rockstar_man45 Offline
Capo
rockstar_man45  Offline
R
Capo
Good ole USA
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Hey we aren't all bad haha

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: rockstar_man45] #848320
06/27/15 11:16 PM
06/27/15 11:16 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
While we're generally talking about old money eastern seaboard Brahmins..there are a few members of every ethnic group who have entered the pezzonovante "club". Wasn't my intent to single out "wasps", bees, hornets, etc
smile

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: getthesenets] #848326
06/27/15 11:42 PM
06/27/15 11:42 PM
Good ole USA
R
rockstar_man45 Offline
Capo
rockstar_man45  Offline
R
Capo
Good ole USA
While we're generally talking about old money eastern seaboard Brahmins..there are a few members of every ethnic group who have entered the pezzonovante "club". Wasn't my intent to single out "wasps", bees, hornets, etc
smile

No offense taken gets. PB knows who I am and we joke around about it. It's all in good fun.

To speak from a perspective from someone who does come from a family of WASPS, I know plenty of those old eastern seaboard money types and there are some real arrogant dickheads who keep anyone out who isn't white and Protestant. I can safely say my family is not like that, but even today there some who carry those attitudes.

Re: The Confederate Flag - should it stay or go? [Re: fergie] #848327
06/27/15 11:51 PM
06/27/15 11:51 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Rule #1.
Know there will always be someone who does not like you or where your from or what you do or what you have.

Rule #2.
FUCK EM

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull