GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 92 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,701
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,700
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Prohibition St.Louis: Mafia vs Cuckoo gang #773869
04/22/14 01:44 PM
04/22/14 01:44 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline OP
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Does anyone else find it hilarious how did the "all mighty" mafia clamorously lose the war to the Cuckoo gang in St.Louis during Prohibition? (just have been re-reading some parts of the book "Gangs of St.Louis). This is as if Tony Accardo had to kick up protection money to the Latin Kings or one of the Five Families recognizing the supremacy of Bloods or Crips. I mean, even though the mafia in St.Louis wasn't as strong as New York or Chicago, yet still a well organized and solid group being unable to do anything about a brainless street gang (or better to say, with their brains all situated in their guns) was quite humiliating for the mafia I think.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Prohibition St.Louis: Mafia vs Cuckoo gang [Re: Dwalin2011] #773875
04/22/14 02:45 PM
04/22/14 02:45 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
The Cuckoo gang were big time bank robbers and stickup men(dont know about bootleging).The Cuckoo and the Egans Rats gangs produced some heavy hitters during the 20's in St.Louis.I think during this period some of these gangs were connected to the Capone mob through Claude Maddox(i think he was an ex member of the St.Louis gangs) and the Circus gang from Chicago's North Side.Capone sometimes used these gangs for his dirty work....but most of the members of both ST.Louis gangs got killed or convicted by the early 30's

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Prohibition St.Louis: Mafia vs Cuckoo gang [Re: Toodoped] #774023
04/23/14 09:34 PM
04/23/14 09:34 PM
C
cornuto_e_contento Offline
Capo
cornuto_e_contento  Offline
C
Capo
Originally Posted By: Toodoped
The Cuckoo gang were big time bank robbers and stickup men(dont know about bootleging).The Cuckoo and the Egans Rats gangs produced some heavy hitters during the 20's in St.Louis.I think during this period some of these gangs were connected to the Capone mob through Claude Maddox(i think he was an ex member of the St.Louis gangs) and the Circus gang from Grand Avenue in Chicago.Capone sometimes used these gangs for his dirty work....but most of the members of both ST.Louis gangs got killed or convicted by the early 30's

So who were the people from STL then? An offshot of Chicago and 'the outfit'? Or a whole other branch/org?

Last edited by cornuto_e_contento; 04/23/14 09:34 PM.
Re: Prohibition St.Louis: Mafia vs Cuckoo gang [Re: cornuto_e_contento] #774034
04/24/14 04:08 AM
04/24/14 04:08 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline OP
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: cornuto_e_contento

So who were the people from STL then? An offshot of Chicago and 'the outfit'? Or a whole other branch/org?

They had links to Detroit: Vito Giannola was one of the bosses in St.Louis (there were also the Russo brothers and Carmelo Fresina), and his brothers were active in Detroit at the time. Later, some Kansas city representatives took over I think.

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 04/24/14 04:11 AM.

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Prohibition St.Louis: Mafia vs Cuckoo gang [Re: cornuto_e_contento] #774043
04/24/14 05:41 AM
04/24/14 05:41 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted By: Toodoped
The Cuckoo gang were big time bank robbers and stickup men(dont know about bootleging).The Cuckoo and the Egans Rats gangs produced some heavy hitters during the 20's in St.Louis.I think during this period some of these gangs were connected to the Capone mob through Claude Maddox(i think he was an ex member of the St.Louis gangs) and the Circus gang from Grand Avenue in Chicago.Capone sometimes used these gangs for his dirty work....but most of the members of both ST.Louis gangs got killed or convicted by the early 30's

I dont know for sure if the STL mafia was another branch or offshot of the Chi Outfit,all i know that some of the midwest crime families were under the jurisdiction of Chicago.

As for the small STL gangs(mostly irish)like Egans Rats or the Cuckoo gang...later(after the 20's)some got killed and others joined the Chicago Outfit and became members/associates.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Prohibition St.Louis: Mafia vs Cuckoo gang [Re: Dwalin2011] #774061
04/24/14 08:45 AM
04/24/14 08:45 AM
C
cornuto_e_contento Offline
Capo
cornuto_e_contento  Offline
C
Capo
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

They had links to Detroit: Vito Giannola was one of the bosses in St.Louis (there were also the Russo brothers and Carmelo Fresina), and his brothers were active in Detroit at the time. Later, some Kansas city representatives took over I think.

Thanks for the information both to you and the person who replied below. Are there any books that are about la famiglia in STL or Detroit?

Re: Prohibition St.Louis: Mafia vs Cuckoo gang [Re: cornuto_e_contento] #774064
04/24/14 09:05 AM
04/24/14 09:05 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline OP
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline OP
D
Underboss

Thanks for the information both to you and the person who replied below. Are there any books that are about la famiglia in STL or Detroit?

There are 2 books on Detroit:

"The violent years: prohibition and the Detroit mobs" by Paul R.Kavieff

"The Detroit true crime chronicles: tales of murder and mayhem in the motor city" (although this one isn't only about the Italian mafia, but other organizations too) by Scott M.Burnstein

and about St.Louis:

"Gangs of St.Louis" by Daniel Waugh (covers the period until the 1930s)

Some of the later events are featured in "Crooks kill, cops lie" by Timothy C.Richards (although it's mostly about the bombings by the Syrian-Lebanese groups rather than Cosa Nostra)

There is also the book "Egan's Rats: The Untold Story of the Prohibition-Era Gang That Ruled St. Louis" by Daniel Waugh, although I haven't read it yet.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull