GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 153 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,817
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,301
Posts1,058,196
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #787230
07/04/14 06:15 PM
07/04/14 06:15 PM
T
TommyGambino Offline
Underboss
TommyGambino  Offline
T
Underboss
Scarfo Jr has earned far more then any Philly guy since the 90's. Scarfo Sr might have been a psycho but he is LCN until they drag his corpse out of his jail cell, he must have drilled the life into Jr, he's as good a bet as any to be a stand up guy especially being a legacy. It was a good move the Lucchese's taking him on, he made a lot of money and won't rat even if he has to do 20 years.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #787233
07/04/14 06:40 PM
07/04/14 06:40 PM
22 Offline
Underboss
22  Offline
Underboss
I wll say that I thought a little different of Scarfo Jr.after reading Leonetti's book.That part where Leonetti came back to AC because his grandmother was dying and at the time Scarfo Sr.wanted to kill him so bad and Leonetti thought Junior saw him one time so he eventually he confronted him at Junior'struggling restaurant in AC and basically was cool with everything,I thought for sure he would have said something to his old man but apparantley he didn't.Surprised me.Had to give him his props for that one.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: TommyGambino] #787234
07/04/14 06:48 PM
07/04/14 06:48 PM
philly
SonnyL Offline
Made Member
SonnyL  Offline
Made Member
philly
Originally Posted By: TommyGambino
Scarfo Jr has earned far more then any Philly guy since the 90's. Scarfo Sr might have been a psycho but he is LCN until they drag his corpse out of his jail cell, he must have drilled the life into Jr, he's as good a bet as any to be a stand up guy especially being a legacy. It was a good move the Lucchese's taking him on, he made a lot of money and won't rat even if he has to do 20 years.

Oh yeah he will stand up and take the time that's for sure there's no way he'd ever flip while his father is alive

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: SonnyL] #787235
07/04/14 07:03 PM
07/04/14 07:03 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SonnyL
Oh yeah he will stand up and take the time that's for sure there's no way he'd ever flip while his father is alive

That raises an interesting "what if," though. His father's in his 80's now. Say the old man dies a year or two into Junior's sentence. I wonder if he'd consider it then.

I personally doubt it. And I really think it's all moot anyway. I don't think he knows a fucking thing about the current administration, so I doubt the Feds would be inclined to offer him anything. Although there's always the remote possibility that he knows something about ancient Philly business.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: pizzaboy] #787236
07/04/14 07:11 PM
07/04/14 07:11 PM
T
TommyGambino Offline
Underboss
TommyGambino  Offline
T
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: SonnyL

That raises an interesting "what if," though. His father's in his 80's now. Say the old man dies a year or two into Junior's sentence. I wonder if he'd consider it then.

I personally doubt it. And I really think it's all moot anyway. I don't think he knows a fucking thing about the current administration, so I doubt the Feds would be inclined to offer him anything. Although there's always the remote possibility that he knows something about ancient Philly business.

Agree with everything PB, since his imaginary skipper position got take from him I suspect he's been out of the loop, especially with his indictment. Everyone knows Crea is boss but doubt he knows UB or Consig after Caridi supposedely got bumped down. I'm from sunny England so what do I know wink

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: TommyGambino] #787237
07/04/14 07:20 PM
07/04/14 07:20 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I'm from sunny England so what do I know wink

You do just fine, Tommy Boy smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #787274
07/04/14 11:59 PM
07/04/14 11:59 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Its NEVER going to work out well when you bring in an outsider to 'run' a crew.

Scarfo Jnr was from Philly. EVERYONE knew his old man asked a favour to Vic to get him straightened out.

He wasnt FROM Nrth Jersey and everyone knew his story.

He got his stripes from Vic but Crea didnt shelve the guy.
So he got his badge as a favour, a bump from Vic but was STILL a player under Crea. So give this guy his due. His family may've gotten him a start, but he's earnt the badge and at this stage looking to do close to life and holding tight.

Point being, the guy deserves respect, in that life. For whatever thats worth.

And right now. Its all he's got left. And alot of other guys caved alot easier than him. And thats worth noting.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #787275
07/05/14 12:10 AM
07/05/14 12:10 AM
Baltimore
HandsomeStevie Offline
Underboss
HandsomeStevie  Offline
Underboss
Baltimore
When was Caridi bumped down from consig? I thought Joe Caridi and crea were were working out pretty good.. And does anybody know why Crea bumped him down??? I wonder what Luchese guy will flip next so we can find out who the actual UB and new consig are!!i

Death Before Dishonor
Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: HandsomeStevie] #787322
07/05/14 08:05 AM
07/05/14 08:05 AM
Yankees1951 Offline
Made Member
Yankees1951  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: HandsomeStevie
When was Caridi bumped down from consig? I thought Joe Caridi and crea were were working out pretty good.. And does anybody know why Crea bumped him down??? I wonder what Luchese guy will flip next so we can find out who the actual UB and new consig are!!i

Plus they'll be more pictures of unknown members. YES!!! Winning#

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: TommyGambino] #787333
07/05/14 09:17 AM
07/05/14 09:17 AM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss

Great post I agree. Also as PB and others have said, just because Amuso brought him into that family doesn't mean anything, him sticking around after means he's probably not as despised as lots of people think. He is going to be sitting around for a while though now...

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Wilson101] #787342
07/05/14 10:15 AM
07/05/14 10:15 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: VegasMikey

Great post I agree. Also as PB and others have said, just because Amuso brought him into that family doesn't mean anything, him sticking around after means he's probably not as despised as lots of people think. He is going to be sitting around for a while though now...

Yeah, Mikey. That's pretty much how I see it smile.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #787380
07/05/14 02:41 PM
07/05/14 02:41 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss
As someone who has done time before it's such a shame to rot in a cell on this gorgeous weekend

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Wilson101] #787433
07/05/14 10:07 PM
07/05/14 10:07 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
As someone who has done time before it's such a shame to rot in a cell on this gorgeous weekend

It sucks on a rainy day, too wink .

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Wilson101] #787602
07/06/14 06:55 PM
07/06/14 06:55 PM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss

It does suck but it sucks more on christmas eve.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #787672
07/07/14 07:15 AM
07/07/14 07:15 AM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss
I never really minded the holidays, the real stress is wondering who is banging your girl..

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Wilson101] #787676
07/07/14 08:12 AM
07/07/14 08:12 AM
>>>OVA THERE
njcapo35 Offline
BANNED
njcapo35  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
>>>OVA THERE
I never really minded the holidays, the real stress is wondering who is banging your girl..
lol lol....Isn't that the truth!

"Jersey...It's where my story begins."
Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #788445
07/11/14 10:57 AM
07/11/14 10:57 AM
Boca Raton
NNY78 Offline
The Counselor
NNY78  Offline
The Counselor
Underboss
Boca Raton
Friday, July 11, 2014

Don Manno Gets His Life Back

By George Anastasia
For Bigtrial.net

Don Manno sat in a restaurant at the Cherry Hill Mall one day last week eating a piece of salmon and talking about the future.

But the past, the immediate past, kept intruding into his conversation.

It was one week exactly from the day a jury in U.S. District Court in Camden had given him his life back. Manno was calm, relaxed and philosophical about the experience. He had beaten federal prosecutors in a grueling six-month trial in which his freedom and future as an attorney were on the line.

It shouldn't have come to that, the veteran defense attorney said.

"I think the federal prosecutors thought they were going to teach us all a lesson about how to practice law," Manno said. "I don't need them to tell me how to be a lawyer. I did nothing wrong. If a jury had questioned what I did then I might think differently. But federal prosecutors aren't going to tell me how to be a lawyer."

That was as close as Manno, 68, came to displaying any of the anger and bitterness that lingers from the FirstPlus Financial fraud case in which he was ensnarled. For the most part, he was sanguine, profusely thanking and praising his wife Rita and his grown daughters Kimberley and Rebecca for helping him through an ordeal that, he says, will make him a better lawyer.

"I think I always had the ability to relate to my clients, to understand intellectually what they were going through," he said. "But now I think I have an emotional understanding. When you get a knock on your door at six in the morning and they take you away in handcuffs, you have a different understanding of the process."
Manno, like most of the defendants in the multi-million dollar fraud case, was quickly released on bail, but that didn't make the experience of being arrested and carted out of his house in front of his wife any less disconcerting.

"The humiliation factor alone can be overwhelming," he said.

The indictment came down in November 2011. For the better part of three years it has been the focus of his life. For the past six months -- the trial started in January -- it dominated. Manno's decision to represent himself added another layer of pressure and tension to the situation. But he says now it was the right move.

Last week, for the first time this year, he was in court representing someone other than himself.

"I had a client with a case in municipal court in Camden" said Manno, himself a former federal prosecutor whose criminal practice has revolved primarily around Superior and Federal Court matters. "I was happy to be there," he added with a laugh.

Given the alternative, that was understandable.

"I'm 68 years old," he said. "If I had been convicted and gotten, say, 15 years, that would have been a life sentence."

Instead, he walked out of court a free man after a jury acquitted him and two other attorney co-defendants, finding them not guilty of all the charges they faced and essentially rejecting the government's contention that they were part of a massive fraud conspiracy orchestrated by mobster Nicodemo S. Scarfo and his business partner Salvatore Pelullo.

Scarfo, 49, the son of jailed Philadelphia mob boss Nicodemo "Little Nicky" Scrfo, was convicted of all 25 counts he faced. Pelullo, 47, was convicted of the 24 counts lodged against him. Brothers John and William Maxwell were also found guilty. John Maxwell was the CEO of FirstPlus. His brother, an attorney, was hired as special counsel at $100,000-a-month.

All were part of what the government said was the systematic looting of FirstPlus, a troubled Texas-based mortgage company, of more than $12 million. Most of the money went to support the lavish lifestyles of Scarfo and Pelullo.

Manno, who for years was the younger Scarfo's criminal defense attorney, said he couldn't feel sorry for his former client or for Pelullo who clearly emerged in both the prosecution's case and in the defense arguments Manno used at trial as the man pulling the strings in the fraud.

"It was about greed," Manno said, "about wanting a lot of money fast and not working for it. It was like Cory Leshner (a former Pelullo associate who testified for the prosecution) said. It wasn't about growing the company. It was about getting cash to Sal Pelullo as fast as possible."

Scarfo, Manno believes, "was blinded by the vast amounts of fast money for no work." He said Scarfo had rejected his warnings about the nature of the business transactions Pelullo was instituting, particularly a bank fraud built around a phony mortgage application filed by Scarfo's wife Lisa.

Lisa Murray Scarfo pleaded guilty prior to the start of the trial. She is awaiting sentencing. So is John Parisi, Scarfo's cousin. Both were sucked into the scam, Manno believes, because of the greed and the indifference of Pelullo and Scarfo.

"It's sad," Manno said, "the tragedy that is the Scarfo family."

It's easy and there's some justification for pointing to the elder mob boss, Little Nicky, and fixing blame. But there was more to it than that, Manno said.

"The tragedy that he (the younger Scarfo) brought to other people is overwhelming," said Manno. "He is his father's son. To a very real extent, he suffered because of his name (a point made again and again by the defense), but he brought a lot of this on himself. He's not a pure victim here."

Manno clearly sees himself as one of the people Scarfo dragged into the FirstPlus quagmire. He argued during the trial that he knew very little about what was going on inside the company and that advice he offered to both Pelullo and Scarfo as an attorney was ignored. Often, he told the jury, they lied to him.

Manno used one of the government's own tapes to effectively make that point. An FBI wiretap recorded a conversation between him and Pelullo in which Manno sounded both shocked and dismayed over a plan to lie about Lisa Murray Scarfo's income and employment on a mortgage application for a $715,000 home she and Scarfo were buying outside of Atlantic City.

The mortgage was arranged in part through a FirstPlus subsidiary. Scarfo's name never appeared on any application.

"Are you fuckin' crazy?" Manno is heard asking Pelullo on the tape.

In another phone call, which Manno said the FBI had not recorded, he and Scarfo got into it over the same issue and, Manno said, he warned Scarfo that he was potentially committing bank fraud.

"Let me worry about that," he said Scarfo told him.

Scarfo in fact may have the next 30 years to do just that. He and Pelullo, each with two prior federal convictions, will likely face sentencing guidelines in the 30-year to life range when they appear before Judge Robert Kugler for sentencing in October.

Manno says he hopes to have his law practice up and running full speed by that point.

"My fees are going to be a little bit higher," he said only half joking, adding that he had worked for nearly a year without any income. His only client was himself.

His decision to represent himself, he said, was the right one. No one else, he believes, could have presented his case to the jury. It was personal. And despite the vindication that came with the jury foreman declaring "not guilty" to each of the five counts he faced, Manno still carries the scars of the experience.

"I was disappointed in the government," he said. "I think the case they put on was intellectually dishonest. I was really troubled by some of the mischaracterizations that were used to justify the charges."

There was no way, Manno said, that he or lawyers David Adler or Gary McCarthy should have been indicted. And the jury verdicts exonerating them, while allowing Manno and the others to say, "See. I told you so," doesn't take the sting out of what they had to go through.

Adler handled many SEC filings for FirstPlus, filings that were based on false information provided by Pelullo. McCarthy was involved in setting up business transactions that again were part of Pelullo's fraud scheme, according to the government's case.

"You know the prosecution tries to hide behind the fiction that the grand jury indicted us," Manno said. "You know that's bullshit. The prosecution gets the indictment it wants. The grand jury is just a rubber stamp. The government said they had a obligation to try the case. Bullshit. The government has an obligation to be right."

While he didn't agree with every defense argument, Manno said he did subscribe to the overarching defense contention that the prosecution had taken a white collar fraud case and tried to make it an organized crime prosecution in order to sell it to the jury.

"The only criminal organization was the one Pelullo and Scarfo had set up," he said. "There was no mob in this."

He also said he thought that another reason he, Adler and McCarthy were charged was because Scarfo, Pelullo and the Maxwell brothers were offering a defense that said in part they had depended on the advice of their lawyers for everything they did within the company.

Again, Manno said, the prosecutors and investigators had an obligation to base the charges on facts and evidence, not on prosecution strategies. Defense attorneys defend, he said, using any and every legitimate legal tactic. But the prosecution, when the system is working the way it should, has to focus on finding the truth.

If the prosecution does that, then the system works, regardless of the verdict.

This time, Manno believes, the system worked despite the prosecution.

Over dessert, a small pecan pie custard and a cappuccino, Manno again returned to his family and what they had done for him. He estimated that he had presented his opening and closing dozens of times in his family room to his wife, daughters and sons-in-law. There was a large screen for his power point presentation. There were questions and questions and more questions. Each session, he believes, made him a better defense attorney for his client. Each session made the story he wanted to tell to the jury clearer, simpler and more easily understood.

"I was just the mouthpiece," he said. "They're the ones that made it work.

"`What are you trying to say?' they would ask me.`What's the point? Talk to the jury like they're people, not other lawyers.'"

It was all good advice. The results speak for themselves. He has his life back. And, he believes, he's an even better lawyer because of it.

George Anastasia can be contacted at George@Bigtrial.net

Read more at http://www.bigtrial.net/2014_07_01_archive.html#s73UhqRWLQxq4FcE.99

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #788497
07/11/14 01:36 PM
07/11/14 01:36 PM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss
( jersey). Im sure ralph asked the higher ups, what the fuck is he meeting with scarfo for, it makes no sense. Ny then says, whatever, meet with us directly, north jersey now has a new capo. I highly doubt anything changed, perna just has the title.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Belmont] #788502
07/11/14 01:46 PM
07/11/14 01:46 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Belmont
perna just has the title.

What title? There's no such thing as the Boss of Jersey in that family. That's newspaper nonsense.

The Pernas are in the upper echelon of that crew, no doubt. But everything they do goes through Joey G right back to Pelham Manor.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #788504
07/11/14 01:50 PM
07/11/14 01:50 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
These guys are complete morons. Getting 20 years off some fraud. There's better ways to do it than risking your life in a cell.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #788505
07/11/14 01:51 PM
07/11/14 01:51 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Then again, if your last name is scarfo, you're probably screwed if you're committing any crime at all.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: mightyhealthy] #788506
07/11/14 01:52 PM
07/11/14 01:52 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
These guys are complete morons.

There you go. Definitive answer. Close the thread lol.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: pizzaboy] #788557
07/11/14 05:47 PM
07/11/14 05:47 PM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
perna just has the title.

What title? There's no such thing as the Boss of Jersey in that family. That's newspaper nonsense.

The Pernas are in the upper echelon of that crew, no doubt. But everything they do goes through Joey G right back to Pelham Manor.

Pb
You are my bronx guy,lol
Scarfo jr was a captain and really had no authority over the north jersey crew.
Ralph perna was bringing the envelopes and probably beefed about having scarfo jr involved since he wasnt a north jersey guy( originally). The bronx conceded to Perna's logic and made him official capo of jersey( not boss). Im sure Ralph brings an envelope to Joey g. I agree. That said, ralph is a captain.
That was the same title anthony acceturro held back in the 80's.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Belmont] #788559
07/11/14 06:01 PM
07/11/14 06:01 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Pb
You are my bronx guy,lol
Scarfo jr was a captain and really had no authority over the north jersey crew.
Ralph perna was bringing the envelopes and probably beefed about having scarfo jr involved since he wasnt a north jersey guy( originally). The bronx conceded to Perna's logic and made him official capo of jersey( not boss). Im sure Ralph brings an envelope to Joey g. I agree. That said, ralph is a captain.
That was the same title anthony acceturro held back in the 80's.

Okay, it's semantics. But you know as well as I do that there are people on these boards who believe in that "Boss of Jersey" nonsense. My being a Bronx guy has nothing to do with it. I don't get into those geographical pissing contests. It's not my style, and I don't come here to argue.

That's why you'll never see me arguing about Philly or Chicago or anywhere else. But geography aside, Jersey is an extension of the Bronx power base through Joey G. He's the other guy's conduit, and he's the heaviest guy in Jersey by extension. Even though he lives in friggin Westchester lol.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #788568
07/11/14 07:00 PM
07/11/14 07:00 PM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss
Its all good PB, no argument on my end, i really enjoy your insight.
Where does " hooks" fit in ? I always thought jersey reports to him.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Belmont] #788571
07/11/14 07:04 PM
07/11/14 07:04 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Where does " hooks" fit in ? I always thought jersey reports to him.

Same difference. Those guys are Stevie's coomps all their lives. But this time of year you can't get Hooks off the golf course lol .

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #789648
07/16/14 02:10 PM
07/16/14 02:10 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
WEDNESDAY, JULY 16, 2014

Leonetti Rips Uncle, Says Cousin Didn't Have A Chance
By George Anastasia
For Bigtrial.net

Defense attorneys for Nicodemo S. Scarfo said repeatedly during his federal fraud trial that Scarfo,
49, was targeted for prosecution because of the reputation and notoriety of his father, jailed Philadelphia mob boss Nicodemo D. "Little Nicky" Scarfo.

The jury, of course, saw it differently, convicting the younger Scarfo of all 25 counts he faced in the looting of FirstPlus Financial, a Texas mortgage company.

But now another voice has weighed in in Scarfo's defense. It's not a defense of what he did, but rather an explanation for how he ended up where he did. And it's also a plea for some consideration from Judge Robert Kugler when he sentences Scarfo in October.

The younger Scarfo never had a chance, said his cousin, mobster-turned-government witness Philip Leonetti.

"He's really not a gangster," Leonetti, 61, said in a telephone interview with Bigtrial this week. "His father had him under his spell...I used to tell him, 'Nicky, get away from these guys.' And when he was talking to me, he would agree' But then he would talk to his father and..."

The words trail off, but the point is clear. Leonetti, the one-time underboss of the Scarfo crime family, followed his cousin's trial from afar.

He has been living in another part of the country with a new identity since his release from prison in the early 1990s. Considered one of the best mob witnesses to ever take the stand, Leonetti testified at nearly a dozen trials following his own conviction, along with his uncle and a dozen others, in a 1988 racketeering-murder case.

"I was very good at doing some bad things," Leonetti said of his life in the mob and under his uncle's influence, "but it's not who I was."

Leonetti's decision to cooperate sent shockwaves through the underworld. Among other things, his defection was a major factor in the decision of Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano, the Gambino crime family underboss, to flip and help the government convict mob boss John Gotti a few years laterr.

Gravano, however, couldn't stop being Sammy the Bull and after his release from prison returned to drug dealing. He ended up back in jail. Leonetti on the other hand has carved out a new and better life for himself and his family, far removed from the underworld where he was once a major player.

Life, he says, has been good.

He wishes his younger cousin had the chance to experience it.

"There is so much more to see and enjoy," he said. "Those guys in South Philly don't appreciate or understand that. They would say that I'm the sucker now because I'm living a normal life. But I was the sucker back then when I was in the mob."

Cynics of course, and there are many, say Leonetti's motives were financial and based on self-preservation. For years sources have said that the government allowed him and his mother Nancy, Scarfo's sister, to take more than $1 million with them into the Witness Security Program. The money had been stashed in a hidden safe in Scarfo's apartment on Georgia Avenue in Atlantic City.

"Sure, his life is good," said one mob source. "My life would be good too if I had a million dollars to rebuild it. Give me a break!"

Leonetti rolls with the criticism, saying there are more important things to focus on. He said he was fortunate to have the opportunity to change his life. He doesn't regret his decision to cooperate and testify for the government and he said he would urge his cousin to do the same. The problem, however, is that Nicodemo S. Scarfo, even if he had the inclination, may not have enough information to make a deal.

"Anything he could do to help himself, he should do," Leonetti said. "That's what I would tell him. I would tell him to cooperate and save as much of his life as he can. Don't be a sucker."

And don't, he added, worry about what your father is thinking.

"My uncle is an evil guy," said Leonetti, who confessed to his own involvement in 10 murders while

a member of the Scarfo crime family. "He's no fuckin' good. You don't know how evil he is."

That's the message, Leonetti said, that he would like to convey to the judge before he passes judgment on his cousin.

"I wish they had called me as a witness," he said. "I would have told the jury."

But unless you've lived it, he added, it's difficult to understand. Both he and the younger Scarfo grew up under the dark shadow cast by Little Nicky, a psychopathic mob boss who was considered one of the most violent mob leaders in America during the period from 1980 through 1989 when he controlled the Philadelphia mob. The elder Scarfo, 84, is serving a 55-year sentence for racketeering and murder. His earliest parole date is 2033. He will likely die in prison.

"Nicky was a kid then," Leonetti said of his cousin during the violent 1980s. "He didn't want to get involved. But his father would badger him. A couple of times I remember him crying because his father wanted him to do something. My uncle destroyed his whole family."

Leonetti, who wrote a book Mafia Prince that detailed much of his life in the mob and that blistered his uncle, said he tried to do right by his cousin, but couldn't overcome the influence of the jailed mob boss. (The book was recently released in paperback.)

After he was released from prison -- Leonetti's 45-year sentence was reduced to five years, five months and five days because of his cooperation -- he would occasionally visit Atlantic City, checking in with his grandmother and his cousin.

"He didn't care that I had cooperated," Leonetti said of the younger Scarfo. "I told him then he should come away with me. He could have been with me right now. Instead, he listened to his father."

Back then, in an interview, Leonetti had predicted that "my uncle is going to get my cousin killed or indicted."

The younger Scarfo had already survived a mob hit in 1989 in Dante & Luigi's restaurant in South
Philadelphia. The Halloween night shooting left him with seven bullet holes in his body, but he miraculously survived.

"He told me he knew it was Joey Merlino who shot him," Leonetti said. "Maybe he could use that to help himself now."

Merlino has always denied that allegation, which surfaced again during the FirstPlus trial when a government expert witness said that federal authorities believe Merlino, now 51, was the shooter that night. No one has ever been charged but the statute of limitation has long since expired in that assault and it's unlikely Scarfo could use that information to help himself, even if he chose to do so.

Scarfo has two prior convictions for mob-related gambling and racketeering. He is also under indictment in Morris County in a massive mob sports betting case tied to the leaders of the Luchese crime family. The younger Scarfo became a member of the Luchese organization after he was shot and had to flee the Philadelphia - South Jersey area in 1989.

His father, in prison with Luchese mob boss Vittoro "Vic" Amuso, arranged to have his son formally initiated into the crime family as an insurance policy against possible future attacks.

But that didn't stop Scarfo from being targeted in a different way, Leonetti said, by members of the Philadelphia mob after he opened a restaurant, Amici, in Ventnor, around 1996.

"Joey Merlino sent guys down there to demand money," Leonetti said. "That's when I tol

Joey Merlino
d him to get away from those guys, to get out of there. He didn't listen."

Some things never change. Gambling, loansharking and extortion have long been the financial lifeblood of the Philadelphia crime family and with several mobsters who were convicted with him and his uncle in 1988 now back on the streets, Leonetti says those activities will continue.

"Look, if Joey Punge (Joseph Pungitore) wants to run a bookmaking operation, let him," Leonetti said of one of his former co-defendants now back on the street. "It's not hurting anybody."

The problem, Leonetti said, is when other organized crime figures try to muscle in on someone else's action. Mobsters like Merlino and George Borgesi, who was recently released from prison, have a reputation for demanding and grabbing. Some of the veteran wiseguys from Leonetti's era, guys like Phil Narducci for example, won't stand for those kind of guzzling or strong-arming tactics, he said.

"Somebody'll get killed," Leonetti said. "They should just let everybody go about their business, everyone make their own money and be honest with one another."

It's a life Leonetti remembers, but has no desire to relive. When he does pop into Atlantic
City, he said, he enjoys walking on the Boardwalk. "I think back to the days when I'd be walking with Saul Kane and talking with him," he said.

Kane, a mob associate who was known as the "Meyer Lansky" of Atlantic City, died in prison where he was serving a sentence for drug dealing. In his obituary Kane had family members list Leonetti as one of his survivors, a clear sign that he had a different view than the elder Scarfo of Leonetti's defection.

"But when I leave Atlantic City, I'm happy to go back to the life I now live," Leonetti added.

South Philadelphia wiseguys are myopic mobsters, he said, who don't see the world beyond Ninth Street. For many, Atlantic City and the Poconos define the edges of their universe. There is, says Leonetti, so much more to the world and so much more to life.

He is just sorry that his cousin will probably never get to experience it.

Leonetti said the only things he knows about the FirstPlus fraud case and Scarfo's co-defendant Salvatore Pelullo are what he's read. He said he knew Pelullo's older brother Artie, but not Salvatore.

"What were they thinking, buying a yacht and a Bentley?" Leonetti asked. "That's not smart."

The government charged that Scarfo and Pelullo had secretly taken control of FirstPlus in 2007 and then used bogus consulting contracts and phony business deals to siphon $12 million out of the company.

The money was used to support a lavish lifestyle that included their purchase of a $850,000 yacht. Pelullo also bought a $217,000 Bentley Continental and Scarfo and his wife Lisa bought a $715,000 home near Atlantic City. All of that and more, including jewelry Scarfo bought for his wife, has been forfeited to the government as part of the verdict in the case.

Now Scarfo is looking at a sentencing guideline range of 30 years to life when he appears before Judge Kugler in October.

Leonetti said he intends to write a letter in support of his cousin, asking the judge to show some leniency. Leonetti said he is one of the few people who truly understands what happened to Nicky Scarfo Jr.

"He wasted his whole life with his father," said Leonetti. "My uncle destroyed people."

Especially those close to him, he added. Mark Scarfo, the youngest of the mob boss's three sons, tried to commit suicide by hanging himself in 1988. He was just 17 years old. He remained comatose and was cared for by his mother and his brother Nicky for the rest of his life. Mark Scarfo died earlier this year during the FirstPlus trial.

The attempted suicide and the elder Scarfo's reaction to it say all you need to know about the mob boss, Leonetti said. His uncle was embarrassed by the incident. "He said if he came out of it (the coma), he was gonna send him away," Leonetti said.

Another source recalled that at the time Scarfo Sr. was on trial with Leonetti and a dozen other mobsters for racketeering. When the source offered Scarfo his condolences, the source said Scarfo brush him off and said of his comatose son, "He's soft."

That, Leonetti said this week, was his uncle -- mean, evil and self-absorbed.

His cousin, Leonetti said again, never had a chance.

Read more at http://www.bigtrial.net/2014/07/leonetti-rips-uncle-says-cousin-didnt.html#ByaFQIouodfdfghd.99

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #789723
07/16/14 06:18 PM
07/16/14 06:18 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss
Thanks Dellacroce.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #789761
07/17/14 01:11 AM
07/17/14 01:11 AM
D
durkadurka Offline
TROLL
durkadurka  Offline
TROLL
D
Wiseguy
Oh this isn't good. With Nick going away now the balance has been upset. Old man Scarfo and Amuso still have sway in their families and don't appreciate especially how Jersey has been treating them. Jr. was their last guy on the outside running things for them. With Vics guys getting out now too it looks like their will be a double war with them trying to take back the family for Vic and also Scarfo using his guys from Philly to help with North Jersey. Bodies will for sure be left out in the streets.

Re: Scarfo Jr - Pelullo fraud trial [Re: Giancarlo] #789791
07/17/14 06:23 AM
07/17/14 06:23 AM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Amuso has absolutely zero control of them today, it's all Crea.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull