GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (joepuzzles234, RushStreet, 3 invisible), 114 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,353
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,215
Posts1,056,173
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #701406
03/07/13 06:52 AM
03/07/13 06:52 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #701972
03/10/13 04:06 PM
03/10/13 04:06 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Prince Tribute

Quote:
One concert could hardly contain the multiplicity of Prince’s enormous songwriting catalog over the 35 years since he released his debut album, “For You,” in 1978. “The Music of Prince,” a tribute concert on Thursday night at Carnegie Hall, tried hard. The program strove to capture a broad swath of Prince’s work, through funk and rock and pop, from lust to spirituality to apocalypse to partying. It included hits, rarities and even some of Prince’s dance moves (but alas, no leaping splits). It was the ninth annual “Music of” concert produced by Michael Dorf, the owner of City Winery, to benefit music programs for underprivileged children.

With the Roots as a house band, the lineup included singers clearly influenced by Prince — D’Angelo, Bilal — and diverse admirers, among them Elvis Costello and Bettye LaVette. There were also musicians who had been in Prince’s touring bands, including the saxophonist Eric Leeds, whose group fDeluxe reunites members of a band Prince produced in the 1980s as the Family, and the guitarist Wendy Melvoin, who sat in with the Roots for most of the concert.

At a tribute show, song assignments are nearly as important as the performances themselves, and “Music of Prince” was full of smart choices. Mr. Costello, ever the collector, delivered a Prince song that has only appeared as a bootleg: “Moonbeam Levels,” a yearning, Beatles-tinged rocker. “The Cross,” a song about despair and salvation, was stoked with flamboyant devotion by the Blind Boys of Alabama, a venerable gospel quartet.

Bilal and the Roots turned “Sister” — a punky one-and-a-half-minute ditty about incest from Prince’s “Dirty Mind” album — into an elaborately dramatic mini-suite that kept shifting tempos and genres, sometimes from one line to the next, up to a screeching peak.

The Waterboys, a British band whose anthems show Celtic roots...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #715038
05/10/13 01:52 PM
05/10/13 01:52 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
The controversial Prince album LOVESEXY came out 25 years ago today. Pretty good album, several killer tracks ("I Wish U Heaven," "Anna Stesia," "When 2 R in Love," and of course the Top 10 hit "Alphabet St.") but mostly known for the tacky, ill-advised album cover which might've dented album sales. And I mean dented as in it absolutely did.

"Anna Stesia"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdryfe_prince-anna-stesia_music?search_algo=2

25th anniversary retrospective:

http://according2g.com/2013/05/happy-25t...esexy-by-prince

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #716997
05/22/13 10:53 PM
05/22/13 10:53 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Prince released a new song on iTunes a few days ago: "Fixurlifeup"

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #717457
05/27/13 08:10 PM
05/27/13 08:10 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Billy Joel Interview NYT Magazine

Quote:
Billy Joel hasn’t put out an album of new songs in decades, but the last few years have brought about a burnishing of his musical legacy. Most recently, he stole the show at the 12-12-12 Sandy relief concert, no trifling feat considering he shared the stage with the Who, the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney. His set, characterized by remarkably robust vocals and a tight backing band, allowed songs like “Only the Good Die Young” and “You May Be Right” to be considered anew; the passage of time has cleansed the songs of any of the annoyance-factor wrought by FM overplay. A generation who never appreciated him, who judged him uncool, are now at the age at which they might actually suffer one of those heart attack-ack-ack-ack-ack-acks of “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song).” Even the haters, grown up now, would have a hard time continuing to begrudge Joel his mastery of songwriting.....

Winter is Coming

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: Lilo] #717459
05/27/13 08:23 PM
05/27/13 08:23 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I've ALWAYS liked Billy Joel's music. Never got to see him in person, tho when I was in NYC about 10 yrs ago, I saw his play "Movin Out", which I really enjoyed.

A few years ago he and Elton John (another of my favorites) performed together in Vegas for a while. I really wanted to go but damn, the tickets were way too expensive.

I know he has problems with depression, which can't be easy.

Btw, anyone see his daughter? Looks just like her dad no?

smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 05/27/13 08:25 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #717613
05/28/13 10:55 PM
05/28/13 10:55 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
So I bought the re-issued this week WINGS OVER AMERICA, the remastered 1976 concert album (originally 3 LPs uhwhat) which was interesting. These days Paul McCartney's concerts are pretty much Beatles Greatest Hits shows but back in the day when still one of the biggest pop stars on the planet, he only played 4-5 Beatles songs and "Hey Jude" wasn't of them. (That's hard for me especially to fathom.) Its odd how much more free of his Fab Four legacy he was back then, the crowd having no problems with him playing Wings hits and deep cuts. Now at a Paul concert, you're lucky to get a non-BAND ON THE RUN/"Live and Let Die" Wings track.

Also notable how much he surprisingly actually lets others in his group take over for vocals on non-Paul tracks. (Hell they cover a Paul Simon song!) The crowd probably used these songs as an excuse to take a piss break (or knowing the times, weed break) but I dig this.

Weirdly enough I paid $13 for this new CD. Apparently according to old timers around back in '76 on a Beatles message board I frequent, that was the same original price for the WOA LP (which I'm sure cost a fortune* back then.) I just find that hilarious for some reason.

*=Expensive back then yet it still sold 4 million copies.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 05/28/13 11:04 PM.
Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #737476
08/29/13 12:04 PM
08/29/13 12:04 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
1st single off Paul's new album out in October.

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #737492
08/29/13 01:49 PM
08/29/13 01:49 PM
Northern NJ
Daigo Mick Friend Offline
Underboss
Daigo Mick Friend  Offline
Underboss
Northern NJ
Replacements First Show in 22 Years

Fans of the best band of the 1980's that you never heard of, The Replacements were treated to a energy filled set at Riot Fest in Toronto.

Great set, great youtube clips from the show as well

Check it out

"Francis can I have a momment"
Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #757340
01/06/14 07:49 PM
01/06/14 07:49 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

From tribute to real thing

Quote:
From Billy Joel Tribute Band to the Real Thing
By DAVE ITZKOFF
WANTAGH, N.Y. — “Here’s to Billy Joel — that’s why we’ve got a gig,” Mike DelGuidice called out from his piano at Mulcahy’s, a pub and concert hall here on Long Island. As he and his band, Big Shot, performed covers of songs like “My Life” and “Scenes From an Italian Restaurant” on a recent Friday night, a regular crowd of revelers occasionally stopped taking selfies long enough to applaud, or at least clink their beer bottles in appreciation.

Running a tribute band, as Mr. DelGuidice has done for nearly 15 years, can be occasionally unglamorous work, but it has provided invaluable training for his other vocation: playing Billy Joel’s music, alongside Mr. Joel himself, as the newest member of his band.

Just a week earlier, Mr. DelGuidice was one of a few musicians onstage in the otherwise empty Nassau Coliseum in Hempstead, N.Y., practicing with Mr. Joel as that best-selling singer-songwriter prepared for his New Year’s Eve concert at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. At 42, Mr. DelGuidice (pronounced del-JU-das) has a rugged, tattooed exterior and a shaved head that belie a gentle demeanor.

While the mischievous Mr. Joel, running the rehearsal from his own piano, raced through impromptu renditions of Cream’s “Tales of Brave Ulysses” and “The Godfather” theme, Mr. DelGuidice matched him chord for chord on a guitar, never losing the tempo or the grateful smile on his face.

Later, after the rehearsal, Mr. DelGuidice said: “I’m not nervous, I’m just overwhelmed with every emotion you could possibly imagine. I’ve waited my whole life to do something like this.”..

Winter is Coming

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #767862
03/13/14 07:58 PM
03/13/14 07:58 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
For all of the Led Zeppelin fans out there:

First 3 albums remastered with additional live and studio tracks.

Quote:
As Led Zeppelin once promised, the song remains the same – but this time they're throwing in a few extras. This summer, the group is reissuing their first three albums as deluxe editions packed with previously unreleased goodies.

It's the first installment in what the band describes as an "extensive reissue program" of its nine studio albums that have been remastered by guitarist and producer Jimmy Page. Moreover, each record will come out as a single-disc remastered album or as a "Deluxe Edition" with a bonus disc of previously unreleased studio and live tracks that the group recorded around the time of the album. The new versions of Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III will all hit stores on June 3rd....

Winter is Coming

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #771576
04/05/14 03:17 AM
04/05/14 03:17 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Winter is Coming

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #772122
04/08/14 02:30 AM
04/08/14 02:30 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Winter is Coming

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: Lilo] #772284
04/09/14 08:05 AM
04/09/14 08:05 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA

I was a big Kiss fan growing up, but their lust for merchandise has been a huge turnoff to me. While I never thought their music was particularly memorable, their live shows were spectacular. Now they are essentially a tribute band that happens to feature two of the original members. I get why they won't play with Ace and particularly Peter, but the replacement guys shouldn't wear the make-up.

What I like about this story is Paul Stanley not holding back against Gene Simmons. I've always been in the minority, but Gene has been and will always be my least favorite member. His arrogance, greed, and massive ego derailed the band many times over their career.

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #772344
04/09/14 02:07 PM
04/09/14 02:07 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Kiss are overrated if you ask me..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #789341
07/15/14 03:05 PM
07/15/14 03:05 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
This is the unedited original live recording footage of Purple Rain. It runs 13 minutes or so. It has additional verses, longer instrumental opening and slightly different solos. It's always fun to watch a master at work. This concert was also Wendy Melvoin's debut.
1983 Minnesota Dance Theater Purple Rain

Winter is Coming

Re: Random Music News/Musings/Debates Thread [Re: Lilo] #910428
04/10/17 12:40 AM
04/10/17 12:40 AM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Hall of Fame nominees

Quote:
Rush, Deep Purple, Public Enemy and N.W.A. are among the group of first-time nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They join returnees Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Kraftwerk among the 15 artists vying for entry.

Imagine . . .

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull