GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 80 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,149
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Moulinyans (Moolies) #707861
04/02/13 01:57 PM
04/02/13 01:57 PM
W
WestBaltimore96 Offline OP
Wiseguy
WestBaltimore96  Offline OP
W
Wiseguy
Interesting word that can be describe as a racial slur towards blacks, but the word's actual meaning is Italian dialect for eggplant, and I love eggplant!!

*Make note, this discussion needs to be civil and within boundaries of respect. If we can't engage in intelligent discussion without being disrespectful, then what is the point??

Last edited by WestBaltimore96; 04/02/13 03:52 PM.
Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707868
04/02/13 02:02 PM
04/02/13 02:02 PM
East Boston
Bennie_The_Ball Offline
Button
Bennie_The_Ball  Offline
Button
East Boston
Originally Posted By: WestBaltimore96

Interesting word that can be describe as a racial slur towards blacks, but the word's actual meaning is Italian dialect for eggplant, and I love eggplant!!

and what is the color of an eggplant? Thus the slur.

Colin Sullivan: "What Freud said about the Irish is: We're the only people who are impervious to psychoanalysis."

Cincotti said: "They don't have the scruples that we have." Zannino agreed. "You know how I knew they weren't Italiano? When they bombed the fucking house. We don't do that."
Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707870
04/02/13 02:05 PM
04/02/13 02:05 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

Find me an Italian that refers to an eggplant as moulinyan. Eggplant is melanzana and that's what Italians call it.

And which Italian dialect are you referring to? Which region? Thanks.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707871
04/02/13 02:09 PM
04/02/13 02:09 PM
M
meffaboston Offline
Underboss
meffaboston  Offline
M
Underboss
Wtf are you serious

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707872
04/02/13 02:12 PM
04/02/13 02:12 PM
M
meffaboston Offline
Underboss
meffaboston  Offline
M
Underboss
Dude there's all types of ppl on this board,,what a way to make them feel comfortable...if your black maybe your comfortable with it but I now other ppl might not be and we need inteligent ppl on these boards no matter what color they are

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707877
04/02/13 02:22 PM
04/02/13 02:22 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
the only time i have heard that word is on the sopranos and from wannabe sopranos people commenting on youtube clips of the sopranos usually saying things like.
"yeah tonys a real gangster, not like deeze moulinyans with a baggy pants and the hip hop."

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: carmela] #707882
04/02/13 02:30 PM
04/02/13 02:30 PM
East Boston
Bennie_The_Ball Offline
Button
Bennie_The_Ball  Offline
Button
East Boston
Originally Posted By: carmela

Find me an Italian that refers to an eggplant as moulinyan. Eggplant is melanzana and that's what Italians call it.

It's actually Neapolitan and it means black, not eggplant. You know how shit gets mixed up.

Colin Sullivan: "What Freud said about the Irish is: We're the only people who are impervious to psychoanalysis."

Cincotti said: "They don't have the scruples that we have." Zannino agreed. "You know how I knew they weren't Italiano? When they bombed the fucking house. We don't do that."
Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: Bennie_The_Ball] #707885
04/02/13 02:41 PM
04/02/13 02:41 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Bennie_The_Ball

It's actually Neapolitan and it means black, not eggplant. You know how shit gets mixed up.

Yes, I know how "shit gets mixed up". It's an Italian American word. Eggplant is melanzana. Period. In Sicilian, they will pronounce it with a "j" sound in there, so it comes out as "melangiana", but that's Sicilian dialect. Other regions will say it with a different accent, but people in Naples are not going around saying moulinyan for black. I promise you.

The word is meant to be a racial slur and it's used by Italian Americans ala Tony Soprano, like someone mentioned above.

edit: well I asked my husband just now and he said, the word "mulignana" is used by some Italians as a way to refer to black people. I guess that's where the Italian American word, moulinyan came from. No matter what, though, it's a racial term.

Last edited by carmela; 04/02/13 02:56 PM.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707895
04/02/13 02:58 PM
04/02/13 02:58 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

You're new here, and I don't like your posting style already. Go somewhere else if you're determined to shake the racist shit around.

(You're here two days ..... take a hint and don't argue with me).

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707901
04/02/13 03:11 PM
04/02/13 03:11 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
i prefer japanese eggplants over the italian varieties any day. they are much more slender, so it takes alot more work peeling them, but you will be rewarded with flesh that is almost seedless, and much less bitter.

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707904
04/02/13 03:41 PM
04/02/13 03:41 PM
Gotti Offline
Button
Gotti  Offline
Button
Isn't it spelled mulignan?

Makes you think. Makes you think about the people in your life. And when I think, I think of Neil. If he were here now what would he say? He would say "John what's it about? What's life about... if you dont go through it as a man's man?". He'd say "Suck it up, take the fall do the time. That made you what you are. That makes you what you are. How long have we been around this thing of ours? This Cosa Nostra? 120 years. What's it about? It's about the rules, perimeters. You take the beating for a friend, you don't run, you don't lay down, you don't betray who you are. What you are.
Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707905
04/02/13 03:43 PM
04/02/13 03:43 PM
W
Wiseguy
W
Wiseguy

Thanks for everyone's input, but I'm not trying to start any contentious discussion on this word, just seeking further insight on it's origins, functionality and context. Myself, being unsure of this word, I did the most proper and respectful thing which was to research. By that, meaning, asking a primary source (my Italian friends), proceeded by a more academic approach in looking at definitions from written and electronic sources. This is meant to be an intelligent discussion and engagement. Carmella and have provided some good information I wasn't aware of. This is necessary to have clarity.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: SC] #707906
04/02/13 03:46 PM
04/02/13 03:46 PM
W
Wiseguy
W
Wiseguy

Racist?! What are you talking about? If my posting style offends you, that is your problem, not mine!!

Originally Posted By: SC

You're new here, and I don't like your posting style already. Go somewhere else if you're determined to shake the racist shit around.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: carmela] #707907
04/02/13 03:47 PM
04/02/13 03:47 PM
W
Wiseguy
W
Wiseguy

Not sure about the dialect and region? That is what I asked.

Yes, I know how "shit gets mixed up". It's an Italian American word. Eggplant is melanzana. Period. In Sicilian, they will pronounce it with a "j" sound in there, so it comes out as "melangiana", but that's Sicilian dialect. Other regions will say it with a different accent, but people in Naples are not going around saying moulinyan for black. I promise you.

The word is meant to be a racial slur and it's used by Italian Americans ala Tony Soprano, like someone mentioned above.

edit: well I asked my husband just now and he said, the word "mulignana" is used by some Italians as a way to refer to black people. I guess that's where the Italian American word, moulinyan came from. No matter what, though, it's a racial term.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707908
04/02/13 03:50 PM
04/02/13 03:50 PM
East Boston
Bennie_The_Ball Offline
Button
Bennie_The_Ball  Offline
Button
East Boston

Racist?! What are you talking about? If my posting style offends you, that is your problem, not mine!!

I'd wrap this up and put this baby to bed. If you catch my drift.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: Bennie_The_Ball] #707909
04/02/13 03:55 PM
04/02/13 03:55 PM
W
Wiseguy
W
Wiseguy

No, I do not catch your drift if you're speaking to me?

I'd wrap this up and put this baby to bed. If you catch my drift.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707910
04/02/13 04:01 PM
04/02/13 04:01 PM
W
Wiseguy
W
Wiseguy

You see, this is the type of intelligent discussion I'm talking about. Carmella just educated me on the word.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: WestBaltimore96] #707918
04/02/13 04:28 PM
04/02/13 04:28 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

You see, this is the type of intelligent discussion I'm talking about. Carmella just educated me on the word.

Good. Now that you're educated on the word we can close this thread. It serves no purpose to discuss a word with racist overtones, something that seems an agenda with your early posts here.

BTW - If I have a problem with your posting style, then you have one, too.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: SC] #707919
04/02/13 04:30 PM
04/02/13 04:30 PM
W
Wiseguy
W
Wiseguy

I disagree!!! Where are the racist overtones? An agenda?!! Lol.. What agenda? We are on a discussion board!! Smh..

Good. Now that you're educated on the word we can close this thread. It serves no purpose to discuss a word with racist overtones, something that seems an agenda with your early posts here.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) [Re: SC] #707920
04/02/13 04:31 PM
04/02/13 04:31 PM
W
Wiseguy
W
Wiseguy

I disagree!!! Where are the racist overtones? An agenda?!! Lol.. What agenda? We are on a discussion board!! Smh..

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull