GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (NickleCity, U talkin' da me ??, The_Marble_Guy, Lenox, 1 invisible), 114 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,161
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Just Lou] #659902
08/13/12 08:41 AM
08/13/12 08:41 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Don't laugh, JL, same here. blush

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #659914
08/13/12 11:01 AM
08/13/12 11:01 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
What keeps you guys from reading it? Too busy with other stuff, or just not really eager to read it?

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #659918
08/13/12 11:05 AM
08/13/12 11:05 AM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
What keeps you guys from reading it? Too busy with other stuff, or just not really eager to read it?

Mainly because I'm just not a big book reader, but I still have memories of trying to get through Winegardner's books.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Just Lou] #659919
08/13/12 11:15 AM
08/13/12 11:15 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Just Lou

Mainly because I'm just not a big book reader, but I still have memories of trying to get through Winegardner's books.

That's understandable. And I'm also not a big book reader.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #661575
08/22/12 04:40 PM
08/22/12 04:40 PM
Georgia, USA
D
DonRobertoCorleone Offline
Button
DonRobertoCorleone  Offline
D
Button
Georgia, USA
Try doing the audiobook. its a great listen

DonRobertoCorleone
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: DonRobertoCorleone] #663451
08/30/12 02:02 PM
08/30/12 02:02 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Now paramount is talking about making more Godfather movies. I can see a few sequels down the road where they all go to Hawaii and someone jumps the shark.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #665989
09/12/12 09:14 PM
09/12/12 09:14 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
I've been away from this forum for quite awhile, mostly because I'm working on a new novel and I've been busy with research and writing and my day job. But I wanted to let you all know that it looks like I'll be able to make some corrections for the paperback edition, which will be out next year. So I can get rid of that embarrassing anachronism in the first paragraph and fix several other minor errors, like the Feast of San Rocco, not San Genarro (Thanks, Sonny!). Some of the more complicated issues I won't be able to change because they'll only allow one or two word changes. Again, I appreciate the sincere criticism and careful attention. I'm glad some of you liked it, and apparently only one of you threw it in the fire. I can live with that. All best . . . Rich (Ed)

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666003
09/13/12 12:17 AM
09/13/12 12:17 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: RichCerto
I've been away from this forum for quite awhile, mostly because I'm working on a new novel and I've been busy with research and writing and my day job. But I wanted to let you all know that it looks like I'll be able to make some corrections for the paperback edition, which will be out next year. So I can get rid of that embarrassing anachronism in the first paragraph and fix several other minor errors, like the Feast of San Rocco, not San Genarro (Thanks, Sonny!). Some of the more complicated issues I won't be able to change because they'll only allow one or two word changes. Again, I appreciate the sincere criticism and careful attention. I'm glad some of you liked it, and apparently only one of you threw it in the fire. I can live with that. All best . . . Rich (Ed)

lol

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Just Lou] #666004
09/13/12 12:18 AM
09/13/12 12:18 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: Just Lou

Me to I get migranes

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666143
09/14/12 12:17 PM
09/14/12 12:17 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I've been away from this forum for quite awhile, mostly because I'm working on a new novel and I've been busy with research and writing and my day job. But I wanted to let you all know that it looks like I'll be able to make some corrections for the paperback edition, which will be out next year. So I can get rid of that embarrassing anachronism in the first paragraph and fix several other minor errors, like the Feast of San Rocco, not San Genarro (Thanks, Sonny!).

No problem. One last nitpicking detail; the screenplay of Part II states that Pentangeli was approaching his sixties, so he would be in his early thirties in 1933. Anyway, good luck with your new novel!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666177
09/14/12 04:36 PM
09/14/12 04:36 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
Funny story. My sister has a baby on Wednesday. I go into the giftshop in the hospital(a mini-Indigo book store)and looking right out at me is this novel "The Family Corleone." Where have i been the last six months that i hadn't heard of this?!?!?!?

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: mr. soprano] #666181
09/14/12 05:59 PM
09/14/12 05:59 PM
G
Gudfadern Offline
Button
Gudfadern  Offline
G
Button
Originally Posted By: mr. soprano
Funny story. My sister has a baby on Wednesday. I go into the giftshop in the hospital(a mini-Indigo book store)and looking right out at me is this novel "The Family Corleone." Where have i been the last six months that i hadn't heard of this?!?!?!?

Yeah, same thing with me basically. I found out about these news last year, winter? spring?...summer? God, I don't know why I don't even remember when! I also happened to discover this website last year, but anyway a bit more shockingly in your case hah!
Of course I haven't been around but still, I think I can say there hasn't been any hype or any talk about this novel. But it might not be the same sort of hypes as with video games. I first found out about those two sequels 2 or 3 years ago described as the now infamous words 'Just Awful'. I am actually planning this year to buy 'Mario Puzo's The Godfather', the first book I'll ever buy, and the only and first book I ever have wanted to own, and I wanna to do so in a few days.
Today, just an hour ago I discovered some very exciting news for me, January next year 'The Family Corleone' will be released to my language!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666189
09/14/12 08:19 PM
09/14/12 08:19 PM
G
Gudfadern Offline
Button
Gudfadern  Offline
G
Button
So to me this is something very big. This is bigger than the sequels! - I mean the books. What were really peoples feelings when they found out about this? I personally couldn't believe what I read when I discovered the news. I just hope there aren't any major things that I really dislike.

What do you really think about this?

Do you think this is much like how Mario would have written it?

Last edited by Gudfadern; 09/20/12 10:07 PM.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666936
09/20/12 03:36 PM
09/20/12 03:36 PM
A
Appolla Offline
Wiseguy
Appolla  Offline
A
Wiseguy
ok I am about finishing this book.I do not generally like people living off from other people's creativity (which often the most difficult to have) but after I read here that it is not bad I gave it a try. I actually enjoyed the book at first a lot then a little bit less, but it passed the test- I read it through.

First of all I think it is better written book than the original stylistically and it is more consistent. The Puzo novel seemed sort of rushed as it had consistency problems and it had parts that were cleverly cut out from the movie that I would never want to read again(apart from the ones I read over and over of course).

The deepth of the story seems to be enough for a 100 pages, but I can accept the added 300 because the story is flowing nicely. Some places the book is more interesting than others, I have to admit that I am not chewing just swallowing when I read so I left out the parts which were not interesting to me skimming them through maybe.(I have to say I could not do this with the original even I read the disturbing parts first)
This happened more often in the second part of the book- I liked the beginning much much more. The last few pages just rush through the war, we do not get much out of it.

I liked the Luka story- it actually made more sense than in the original. I liked the story how Sonny became part of the organization and how he made his bones (although I thought he would have a bigger role in the war after the shooting). I did not care about the Sandra story line at all. It was clear where it was heading. For a while I thought she was Theresa and will end up with Tom but I realized my mistake in the middle of the book and lost interest. I guess I just wanted a less straightforward story with that perhaps.

I really did not like (whether it was Puzo's idea or not)that (spoiler) Vito got Tom's father killed, although I can see that the book needed this dramatic effect. However the story gave Vito's character a different angle(motivation), the position of Tom in the family changed (in my opinion it made his loyalty vulnerable. actually a lot of people knew about the murder, who could tell Tom BUT in my opinion to get to understand Tom we need his relationship with Vito& family to be very pure), it gave Sonny's character a different angle- all to the worse.

Last edited by Appolla; 09/20/12 04:58 PM.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Appolla] #671639
10/23/12 04:41 PM
10/23/12 04:41 PM
G
Gudfadern Offline
Button
Gudfadern  Offline
G
Button
Originally Posted By: Appolla

I really did not like (whether it was Puzo's idea or not)that (spoiler) Vito got Tom's father killed, although I can see that the book needed this dramatic effect. However the story gave Vito's character a different angle(motivation), the position of Tom in the family changed (in my opinion it made his loyalty vulnerable. actually a lot of people knew about the murder, who could tell Tom BUT in my opinion to get to understand Tom we need his relationship with Vito& family to be very pure), it gave Sonny's character a different angle- all to the worse.

I'm actually glad I heard this before I read it. I really don't like what I hear either.
What exactly is Puzos words? Did Falco simply finish what had been started?

We all might perceive the characters in our own ways. And even the books and films but I don't like it, and I to me it's also even out of character.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #673211
10/31/12 03:18 AM
10/31/12 03:18 AM
A
Appolla Offline
Wiseguy
Appolla  Offline
A
Wiseguy
Well, the book is supposed to be based on a screenplay by Puzo. I am not sure whether the Tom's father thing was in it or not we may never know. In the original novel it is definitely another murder that Sonny observes.

I read the book a couple of more times after the first skimming and I think I appreciate the end a bit more.(although I almost screamed from the forced symbolism of the oranges which, poor things got to the set of the movie to bring some color into the darkness). One more thing that I sort of did not like was Carmela. I think both Puzo and Coppola drew strong women in very different ways. But in this novel her character was reduced to telling people periodically to pray and to cooking. Her religiosity had a different(and actual) role in the original novel.

Oh well, do no get discouraged from reading it though. As you can see I read it in a couple of times in the two weeks it was with me... It was definitely entertaining even if I do not accept some things in the back stories.

Last edited by Appolla; 10/31/12 03:20 AM.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #699397
02/24/13 09:21 PM
02/24/13 09:21 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
I'm on the second half of the book, Book Two. And I've enjoyed it from the start.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SinatraClub] #712252
04/23/13 08:24 AM
04/23/13 08:24 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
I'm thinking of getting this. But I do find the thought of someone other than Puzo writing his characters a bit cheap. But as it looks to have come from a Puzo source I'll get it.

I just wish it featured characters only whom we know from the films and no-one else.

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #712481
04/24/13 01:51 PM
04/24/13 01:51 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Vito killed Hagen's father? That's a stretch.

Carmela was a classic wife of her times and ethnicity. My guess is she weilded more power than she let on. There were good scenes in GF and GFII where she would put her foot down and tell people not to interfere, or tell Connie to go see her children. I am sure when she was raising them all Vito backed her up 100%

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #723903
07/03/13 09:45 AM
07/03/13 09:45 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
RichCerto (Ed), I'm not sure if you still read here, but I'm wondering who this Carmine Barzini was you mention only once in your novel? I suppose this character was a relative of Emilio?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #739892
09/14/13 04:56 PM
09/14/13 04:56 PM
Luna Offline
Associate
Luna  Offline
Associate
I am new to the boards and this is my first post. So I hope this is the correct place to post this question. I apologize in advance if I have done it in the incorrect location. I am interested in reading the book "The Family Corleone" and would very much appreciate any comments or opinions on it. I have been enjoying my time here as a visitor and am so very impressed with the insight of many of the members here. As a true Godfather fan I look forward to my time here as a member. Thank you in advance for any comments on the book.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #756007
12/28/13 05:32 PM
12/28/13 05:32 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
I'm nearing the end chapter of this, I'm at the beginning of the chapter after the Parade massacre. Needless to say, I like parts of the book, certain parts, as mentioned like, the whole Sandra & Sonny storyline are real bores. While others like the Luca Brasi portions and Sonny's childhood relationship with some of the irish fracturing after the massacre were really good, IMO. I'll have more thoughts after I finish the book, I got it in a pdf format on my computer and took a break for a couple months, I'll get back into it eventually.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #756041
12/28/13 07:43 PM
12/28/13 07:43 PM
Marcello99 Offline
BANNED
Marcello99  Offline
BANNED
Wiseguy
That book was horrible. There were tons or errors and the guy picked to write the book only received the contract because he's related to Edie Falco.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #784612
06/18/14 08:17 PM
06/18/14 08:17 PM
A treehouse w hamburgers
Hamilton Offline
Made Member
Hamilton  Offline
Made Member
A treehouse w hamburgers
That was fast! Okay, so busted, and quickly. Full confession: I've been following you guys for a long time. Nobody but nobody knows more about The Godfather than some of you who post here. I was kind of hoping I could covertly overhear what your responses were to the novel, but clearly I blew it. Anyway, let me just say one thing: I seriously don't like always being identified as Edie's uncle, but Edie's a sweetheart and a wonderful human being and there's nothing either she or I can do about it. And one more thing: thanks for all the depth and detail in your knowledge of everything Godfather. You've been a great resource. I've gotten to kind of like Rich Certo. Think I'll keep it as an alias.

How could you not love Carmela/ Nurse Jackie

"Asking us questions...harass and arrest us ..saying we eat pieces of shiet like u for breakfast ...Huh ya'll eat pieces of shiet..? whats the basis we ain't going no where.. we got suits n cases.. trunk full of coke rental car from avis only now clemente can save us,, I told said solly I acted da fool I'll be gone till November I got bodies too move....
I put pebbles on my hood like Danny Greene here comes the crab n his queen yes barbara actin da fool mess with a pyscho u kno its time to move.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #819096
12/16/14 10:02 AM
12/16/14 10:02 AM
newcastle upon tyne uk
djdt77 Offline
Wiseguy
djdt77  Offline
Wiseguy
newcastle upon tyne uk
I thought the book was really good,i enjoyed the parts on Luca and getting to know the other crime families more, i would love to see more books like this in the future

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #819196
12/16/14 03:52 PM
12/16/14 03:52 PM
P
phillyloves Offline
Wiseguy
phillyloves  Offline
P
Wiseguy
I just ordered this book from Amazon looking forward to reading it

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull