GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Malavita, 1 invisible), 112 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,355
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,735
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,283
Posts1,057,850
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
The Family Corleone #639309
03/10/12 07:02 PM
03/10/12 07:02 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Here's an NPR interview with Ed Falco, author of The Family Corleone, the prequel to The Godfather. The novel is due out May 8 from Grand Central, but Paramount has filed a lawsuit trying to prevent it from being published. Paramount may be angling for a good deal on film rights, but no one knows for sure what's going on.

http://withgoodreasonradio.org/2012/03/the-offer-he-couldnt-refuse/

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645008
04/25/12 12:37 AM
04/25/12 12:37 AM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Entertainment Weekly has the book trailer:
http://bit.ly/Is5tb0

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645297
04/28/12 02:47 AM
04/28/12 02:47 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Thanks for that!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645356
04/28/12 09:45 PM
04/28/12 09:45 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
i wonder if they will introduce new characters. I know people dont like the other godfather novels but i actually liked seeing other mobsters besides the immediate corleones

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: JCrusher] #645379
04/29/12 12:16 AM
04/29/12 12:16 AM
C
Crazy_Joe_Gallo Offline
Made Member
Crazy_Joe_Gallo  Offline
C
Made Member
Is the story set ONLY in 1933? I want to see side characters like Frank Pentangelli and Willi Cicci and Genco. And I hope it isn't a "Sonny-centric" story. I don't want to see Sonny's rise, I want to see Vito at the peak of his powers and ruthlessnss, in between his rise (as shown in GF II) and his middle age (as seen in GF I).

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Crazy_Joe_Gallo] #645798
05/02/12 02:14 PM
05/02/12 02:14 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
It's set 1933-1934 mostly. Frankie Pentangelli and Genco are both part of the story, as are Clemenza, Tessio, Luca Brasi, The Rosato brother, The Barzinis, and lots of other characters from the original books and movies--and then there's a whole other crew of Irish gangsters that are part of the story, too. Vito's there, too. One of the early reviews said the depiction of Vito was especially good.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645800
05/02/12 02:32 PM
05/02/12 02:32 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
It's coming out within days is it not?

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #645858
05/02/12 08:02 PM
05/02/12 08:02 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
I got my hands on an advance review copy, but the actual book is supposed to be in stores on Tuesday, May 8th.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645859
05/02/12 08:04 PM
05/02/12 08:04 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Here's the web page:

http://www.familycorleone.com/

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645924
05/03/12 09:35 AM
05/03/12 09:35 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Seems like they're doing a lot of marketing.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645978
05/03/12 02:40 PM
05/03/12 02:40 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
The book is definitely getting notice:

http://usat.ly/IGBACB

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645994
05/03/12 04:20 PM
05/03/12 04:20 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: RichCerto
It's set 1933-1934 mostly. Frankie Pentangelli and Genco are both part of the story, as are Clemenza, Tessio, Luca Brasi, The Rosato brother, The Barzinis, and lots of other characters from the original books and movies--and then there's a whole other crew of Irish gangsters that are part of the story, too. Vito's there, too. One of the early reviews said the depiction of Vito was especially good.

Thanks for the info. Do they introduce or expand on any corleone mobsters

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646025
05/03/12 09:56 PM
05/03/12 09:56 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
In the Corleone family, there's Richie Gatto who's important. He's Paulie Gatto's father. Then Luca Brasi, before he joins the Corleone family has a whole gang of his own, like five characters. Tessio has guys working under him who aren't in the movie or book, and so does Clemenza. Frankie Pentangeli has guys with him, too. Then there are the other families and the Irish, so it's a pretty big cast of characters. Part of the story in the first section is how Luca Brasi comes to be so loyal to Vito. And Santino . . . Well, I don't want to give away anything in the book, but, yes, there are more Corleone family characters.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646028
05/03/12 10:24 PM
05/03/12 10:24 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
In the Corleone family, there's Richie Gatto who's important. He's Paulie Gatto's father. Then Luca Brasi, before he joins the Corleone family has a whole gang of his own, like five characters. Tessio has guys working under him who aren't in the movie or book, and so does Clemenza. Frankie Pentangeli has guys with him, too. Then there are the other families and the Irish, so it's a pretty big cast of characters. Part of the story in the first section is how Luca Brasi comes to be so loyal to Vito. And Santino . . . Well, I don't want to give away anything in the book, but, yes, there are more Corleone family characters.

Sounds cool

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: JCrusher] #646071
05/04/12 11:32 AM
05/04/12 11:32 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I think Falco constantly mentioning that he's Edie Falco's uncle is kind of shameless and tacky. He's definitely trying to too hard to capitalize on Sopranos' fans there. But I'm going to try to read the book with an open mind.

Here's the first chapter from Publisher's Weekly:

First Look: The Family Corleone by Ed Falco

Chapter One from the new Godfather prequel
By Ed Falco

A new Godfather book hits this week, and we've got the first chapter. Working from a Mario Puzo screenplay, novelist Ed Falco (uncle of Edie Falco, a.k.a. Carmela Soprano) goes back to 1933 New York for The Family Corleone, where a 17-year-old Sonny Corleone is just starting to learn the family business.

Fall 1933

Giuseppe Mariposa waited at the window with his hands on his hips and his eyes on the Empire State Building. To see the top of the building, the needlelike antenna piercing a pale blue sky, he leaned into the window frame and pressed his face against the glass. He had watched the building go up from the ground, and he liked to tell the boys how he’d been one of the last men to have dinner at the old Waldorf-Astoria, that magnificent hotel that once stood where the world’s tallest building now loomed. He stepped back from the window and brushed dust from his suit jacket.

Below him, on the street, a big man in work clothes sat atop a junk cart traveling lazily toward the corner. He carried a black derby riding on his knee as he jangled a set of worn leather reins over the flank of a swayback horse. Giuseppe watched the wagon roll by. When it turned the corner, he took his hat from the window ledge, held it to his heart, and looked at his reflection in a pane of glass. His hair was white now, but still thick and full, and he brushed it back with the palm of his hand. He adjusted the knot and straightened his tie where it had bunched up slightly as it dis­appeared into his vest. In a shadowy corner of the empty apartment behind him, Jake LaConti tried to speak, but all Giuseppe heard was a guttural mumbling. When he turned around, Tomasino came through the apartment door and lumbered into the room carrying a brown paper bag. His hair was unkempt as always, though Giuseppe had told him a hundred times to keep it combed—and he needed a shave, as always. Everything about Tomasino was messy. Giuseppe fixed him with a look of contempt that Tomasino, as usual, didn’t notice. His tie was loose, his shirt collar unbuttoned, and there was blood on his wrinkled jacket. Tufts of curly black hair stuck out from his open collar.

“He say anything?” Tomasino pulled a bottle of scotch out of the paper bag, unscrewed the cap, and took a swig.

Giuseppe looked at his wristwatch. It was eight thirty in the morning. “Does he look like he can say anything, Tommy?” Jake’s face was battered. His jaw dangled toward his chest.

Tomasino said, “I didn’t mean to break his jaw.”

“Give him a drink,” Giuseppe said. “See if that helps.”

Jake was sprawled out with his torso propped up against the wall and his legs twisted under him. Tommy had pulled him out of his hotel room at six in the morning, and he still had on the black-and­white-striped silk pajamas he had worn to bed the night before, only now the top two buttons had been ripped away to reveal the mus­cular chest of a man in his thirties, about half Giuseppe’s age. As Tommy knelt to Jake and lifted him slightly, positioning his head so that he could pour scotch down his throat, Giuseppe watched with interest and waited to see if the liquor would help. He had sent Tommy down to the car for the scotch after Jake had passed out. The kid coughed, sending a spattering of blood down his chest. He squinted through swollen eyes and said something that would have been impossible to make out had he not been saying the same three words over and over throughout the beating. “He’s my father,” he said, though it came out as ’E mah fad’.

“Yeah, we know.” Tommy looked to Giuseppe. “You got to give it to him,” he said. “The kid’s loyal.”

Giuseppe knelt beside Tomasino. “Jake,” he said. “Giacomo. I’ll find him anyway.” He pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and
used it to keep his hands from getting bloody as he turned the kid’s face to look at him. “Your old man,” he said, “Rosario’s day has come. There’s nothing you can do. Rosario, his day is over. You understand me, Jake?”

“Sì,” Giacomo said, the single syllable coming out clearly.

“Good,” Giuseppe said. “Where is he? Where’s the son of a bitch hiding?”

Giacomo tried to move his right arm, which was broken, and groaned at the pain.

Tommy yelled, “Tell us where he is, Jake! What the hell’s wrong with you!”

Giacomo tried to open his eyes, as if straining to see who was yelling at him. “ ’E mah fad’,” he said.

“Che cazzo!” Giuseppe threw up his hands. He watched Jake and listened to his strained breathing. The shouts of children playing came up loud from the street and then faded. He looked to Tomasino before he exited the apartment. In the hall, he waited at the door until he heard the muffled report of a silencer, a sound like a ham­mer striking wood. When Tommy joined him, Giuseppe said, “Are you sure you finished him?” He put on his hat and fixed it the way he liked, with the brim down.

“What do you think, Joe?” Tommy asked. “I don’t know what I’m doing?” When Giuseppe didn’t answer, he rolled his eyes. “The top of his head’s gone. His brains are all over the floor.”

At the stairwell, atop the single flight of steps down to the street, Giuseppe stopped and said, “He wouldn’t betray his father. You gotta respect him for that.”

“He was tough,” Tommy said. “I still think you should’ve let me work on his teeth. I’m telling you, ain’t nobody won’t talk after a little of that.”

Giuseppe shrugged, admitting Tommy might have been right. “There’s still the other son,” he said. “We making any progress on that?”

“Not yet,” Tommy said. “Could be he’s hiding out with Rosario.”

Giuseppe considered Rosario’s other son for a heartbeat before his thoughts shifted back to Jake LaConti and how the kid couldn’t be beaten into betraying his father. “You know what?” he said to Toma­sino. “Call the mother and tell her where to find him.” He paused, thinking, and added, “They’ll get a good undertaker, they’ll fix him up nice, they can have a big funeral.”

Tommy said, “I don’t know about fixing him up, Joe.”

“What’s the name of the undertaker did such a good job on O’Banion?” Giuseppe asked.

“Yeah, I know the guy you mean.”

“Get him,” Giuseppe said, and he tapped Tommy on the chest. “I’ll take care of it myself, out of my own pocket. The family don’t have to know. Tell him to offer them his services for free, he’s a friend of Jake’s, and so on. We can do that, right?”

“Sure,” Tommy said. “That’s good of you, Joe.” He patted Giuseppe’s arm.

“All right,” Giuseppe said. “So that’s that,” and he started down the stairs, taking the steps two at a time, like a kid.

From The Family Corleone by Ed Falco, Copyright (c) 2012 by Ed Falco. Reprinted courtesy of Grand Central Publishing.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-to...y-corleone.html

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #646130
05/04/12 10:54 PM
05/04/12 10:54 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Falco's written like a dozen books and plays before this one, dating back before Edie Falco got famous. I bet anything he doesn't like always being identified in publicity as "Edie Falco's uncle." I know I wouldn't like it. But she's famous and I'm sure he can't tell Publisher's Weekly or anyone else not to always mention her.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646193
05/05/12 01:14 PM
05/05/12 01:14 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Bobby Cannavale sounds like Marlon Brando. (Click on Audio and Video)

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/books_9780446574624.htm

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646197
05/05/12 01:23 PM
05/05/12 01:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Falco's written like a dozen books and plays before this one, dating back before Edie Falco got famous. I bet anything he doesn't like always being identified in publicity as "Edie Falco's uncle." I know I wouldn't like it. But she's famous and I'm sure he can't tell Publisher's Weekly or anyone else not to always mention her.

Whatever you say, Ed, er, Rich tongue grin.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #646198
05/05/12 01:34 PM
05/05/12 01:34 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Whatever you say, Ed, er, Rich tongue grin.

Rich, pay no attention to that rude gavone, pizzaboy.

Errr, could you get me your niece's, Edie, autograph? blush

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #646199
05/05/12 01:40 PM
05/05/12 01:40 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SC
Errr, could you get me your niece's, Edie, autograph? blush

lol

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646210
05/05/12 03:30 PM
05/05/12 03:30 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
That was fast! Okay, so busted, and quickly. Full confession: I've been following you guys for a long time. Nobody but nobody knows more about The Godfather than some of you who post here. I was kind of hoping I could covertly overhear what your responses were to the novel, but clearly I blew it. Anyway, let me just say one thing: I seriously don't like always being identified as Edie's uncle, but Edie's a sweetheart and a wonderful human being and there's nothing either she or I can do about it. And one more thing: thanks for all the depth and detail in your knowledge of everything Godfather. You've been a great resource. I've gotten to kind of like Rich Certo. Think I'll keep it as an alias.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646211
05/05/12 03:36 PM
05/05/12 03:36 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
That was fast! Okay, so busted, and quickly. Full confession: I've been following you guys for a long time. Nobody but nobody knows more about The Godfather than some of you who post here. I was kind of hoping I could covertly overhear what your responses were to the novel, but clearly I blew it. Anyway, let me just say one thing: I seriously don't like always being identified as Edie's uncle, but Edie's a sweetheart and a wonderful human being and there's nothing either she or I can do about it. And one more thing: thanks for all the depth and detail in your knowledge of everything Godfather. You've been a great resource. I've gotten to kind of like Rich Certo. Think I'll keep it as an alias.

Full disclosure: Now that you've "come clean," I think I'll be able to read the book with a much more open mind. I was honestly trying to bait you into admitting that you were Falco. I'm glad I was right.

But be forewarned: If the book isn't any good, we're going to let you know about it. We were absolute murder on Winegardner. He still gets the occasional bomb threat from some of us whistle.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646212
05/05/12 03:58 PM
05/05/12 03:58 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Trust me, I have no doubt that you'll express your opinions clearly. If you don't like it, I won't be defending it. I did the research, wrote the book, and now it's out of my hands. I just get to wait and see what everybody thinks. Really, I know, I should have just lurked and listened, but, what can I say, I got into it. I'll probably be quiet from here on. But I will definitely be listening.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646218
05/05/12 05:19 PM
05/05/12 05:19 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Trust me, I have no doubt that you'll express your opinions clearly. If you don't like it, I won't be defending it. I did the research, wrote the book, and now it's out of my hands.

You're opening yourself to some heartache. Some of our members will go over the book with a magnifying glass. Some will split hairs and go into minute detail.

OK, to start, with the book's first paragraph:
Originally Posted By: Ed Falco

Fall 1933

Giuseppe Mariposa waited at the window with his hands on his hips and his eyes on the Empire State Building. To see the top of the building, the needlelike antenna piercing a pale blue sky, he leaned into the window frame and pressed his face against the glass.

The needle-like antenna was not in place at the top of the Empire State Bldg in 1933. That came later (trust a "King Kong" fan to know this).

OK.... OK... cheap shot; I'm just being a smartass.

I'm looking forward to reading this, and I wish you good luck with it.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #646219
05/05/12 05:34 PM
05/05/12 05:34 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Having an error in your opening paragraph, requires that every member receive a free autographed poster of Edie Falco not as Carmela Soprano but Nurse Jackie!

Trust me, I have no doubt that you'll express your opinions clearly. If you don't like it, I won't be defending it. I did the research, wrote the book, and now it's out of my hands.

You're opening yourself to some heartache. Some of our members will go over the book with a magnifying glass. Some will split hairs and go into minute detail.

OK, to start, with the book's first paragraph:
Originally Posted By: Ed Falco

Fall 1933

Giuseppe Mariposa waited at the window with his hands on his hips and his eyes on the Empire State Building. To see the top of the building, the needlelike antenna piercing a pale blue sky, he leaned into the window frame and pressed his face against the glass.

The needle-like antenna was not in place at the top of the Empire State Bldg in 1933. That came later (trust a "King Kong" fan to know this).

OK.... OK... cheap shot; I'm just being a smartass.

I'm looking forward to reading this, and I wish you good luck with it.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646231
05/05/12 07:25 PM
05/05/12 07:25 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

Okay, first question: is this Giuseppe Mariposa the main antagonist of the novel? And if so, why did you change the name?

Nevermind, I see that you already answered this question in the other topic. I assumed you were just one of those marketing guys. wink

Last edited by Sonny_Black; 05/05/12 07:35 PM.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646232
05/05/12 07:29 PM
05/05/12 07:29 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Richard do you mind if I call you DICK

You've been a great resource. I've gotten to kind of like Rich Certo. Think I'll keep it as an alias. [/quote]

\

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #646234
05/05/12 07:57 PM
05/05/12 07:57 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Yeah, I realized the the antennae error soon after the book went to print and there was nothing to do about it. It's the kind of thing you hope a copy editor will catch. King Kong fans everywhere will notice. There are three or four errors like that that I've found since the book went to print. All minor, thankfully. I'm sure you guys will find more. Whenever you're writing a period piece, you do your best to get the details right, then hope your editors will catch what you miss, then keep your fingers crossed. All in all, I hope I got the period details right.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646235
05/05/12 08:00 PM
05/05/12 08:00 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Sonny: I think I may soon wish I was one of those marketing guys. I'm a fan of your posts, by the way.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646243
05/06/12 02:12 AM
05/06/12 02:12 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
I'm crying laughing at this thread. The book will be successful no need to go see Dr. Melfi. There's so much mob bolshit in the news the past year the audience has grown tremendously for Italian-American Organized Crime.

Sonny: I think I may soon wish I was one of those marketing guys. I'm a fan of your posts, by the way.

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646262
05/06/12 11:07 AM
05/06/12 11:07 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

And I hope I and others here will become a fan of your novel too. It's a good thing that you're here and I think the members here will respect you for it, especially if your novel will be well received (fingers crossed).

Btw, If I was you I should be particulary interested in Turnbull's posts, although he focusses more on The Godfather II years.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646269
05/06/12 01:09 PM
05/06/12 01:09 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Steven Lynch panned the book in today's Post, but provided an interesting Corleone Family timeline for fans. It should be noted that he included Winegardner's books in said timeline.

An offer you can refuse

A lost tale of ‘The Godfather’ fills in the tale of Luca Brasi — but did we need to know?

By STEPHEN LYNCH, NY Post

The Family Corleone
by Ed Falco, based on a screenplay

by Mario Puzo

Grand Central Publishing

He barely appears in the movie, yet Luca Brasi steals “The Godfather.” Maybe because he’s the subject of two of the film’s most immortal lines — Luca helps administer “the offer he can’t refuse,” and after he’s garrotted, he “sleeps with the fishes.” He doesn’t kill anyone in the movie, yet he’s still the scariest capo.

No surprise, then, that Mario Puzo thought fans would welcome a return of Don Corleone’s personal diàvolo. In early drafts of the script to “The Godfather Part III,” Puzo structured it like the previous sequel, weaving in flashbacks of Corleone’s rise to power in the 1930s, including how he recruited Brasi. After Puzo’s death in 1999, his agent found this lost screenplay and gave it to novelist Ed Falco.

The Corleones, with their constant whining about “going legit” between beating guys with tire irons, remain irresistible. It’s 1933-34, the end of Prohibition, and Vito is still trying to consolidate his power. There are vendettas, street shootings and so many descriptions of Italian food that the book includes a glossary.

But, like many prequels, “The Family Corleone” suffers from a fill-in-the-blank quality, fleshing out things that didn’t need to be explained — like Sonny’s temper or exactly how Tom Hagen was brought into the family.

The worst, disappointingly, is Luca. We watch as Brasi’s brutality leads him to despair, and how he becomes indebted to Vito. But his childhood traumas don’t make him any deeper of a character. The diàvolo isn’t in the details. The more you find out about Luca, the less scary he becomes — and no “Godfather” fan wants that.

The ‘Godfather’ century

1901 Young Vito Andolini’s father, mother and brother are murdered by a local mob boss in Corleone, Sicily. Vito escapes to America, where immigration officials name him after his hometown (“The Godfather Part II”).

1920 Vito kills local mob boss Fanucci, who’s been squeezing merchants for protection money, and becomes the new power in the neighborhood. (“The Godfather Part II”).

1925 Vito returns to Sicily and kills Don Ciccio, the man who murdered his family.

1933-34 Time frame of new novel, “The Family Corleone,” based on a Mario Puzo screenplay. Vito vies for power with other families and gangs, including that of enforcer Luca Brasi. His son Sonny is starting to get into the family business, while the boy he raised, Tom Hagen, studies to be a lawyer at NYU.

1941 Vito’s son Michael enlists in the Marines after the Pearl Harbor attack.

1945 Vito is gravely wounded in an assassination attempt (“The Godfather”) which will eventually pit the Corleones against the Tattaglia and Barzini families.

1946 Michael avenges his father’s shooting (“The Godfather”) and must flee to Sicily, where he gets married. Poor Apollonia is blown up by Corleone enemies (“The Godfather Part II”).

1946-48Acting boss Sonny Corleone sends brother Fredo to Vegas to learn the casino business (the novel “The Godfather’s Returns” expands on this period). Back in New York, Sonny is killed on the tollway (“The Godfather”).

1949Michael is allowed to return to America. He marries his girlfriend Kay (“The Godfather”).

1955Vito dies of a heart attack at age 63 (“The Godfather”).

1958-59Michael moves the family business to Las Vegas, after fending off threats from other families and Senate sub-committees. Brother Fredo betrays Michael to gangster Hyman Roth, but is discovered. Michael has Fredo killed (“The Godfather Part II”).

1963 Time frame of the novel “The Godfather’s Revenge.” Tom Hagen is killed by a former member of the Corleone family who has been betrayed.

1979 Events of “The Godfather Part III.” Michael is divorced, wracked with guilt over killing his brother and still chasing that dream of going legitimate. A deal involving the Vatican goes bad, however, leaving his daughter dead and him broken.

1997Like his father, Michael dies, ironically, not of murder but old age (“The Godfather Part III”).

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/boo...K#ixzz1u6tWLnVO

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646277
05/06/12 02:53 PM
05/06/12 02:53 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Does anyone remember how the NY Post reviewed the Winegardner novels?

His novels were well received by the press I believe...

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646329
05/07/12 12:01 AM
05/07/12 12:01 AM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Yeah, The NY Post didn't like it, but The Washington Post did, if reluctantly.

http://wapo.st/Ja5MEx

And tomorrow's USA Today has a nice story:

http://usat.ly/KdEtvT

Tomorrow I'll be on the road all day traveling to NY, and can probably use the break from checking reviews and stories. I'm looking forward to being back in NY City for a week . . .

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646368
05/07/12 02:56 AM
05/07/12 02:56 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club

Bold copy is a joke not original text.

Giuseppe Mariposa then saw a beautiful young lady, having his face pressed against the glass they locked eyes. She slowly came over and lifted up her dress for little Giuseppe, he took his hands off his hips and from behind glass, he began to notice his needlike antenna was starting to obstruct the view of the window with a cloudy white substance..Giuseppe seemed to lose touch with reality, and then finally realized he was at a cat-house that belonged to vito. Hes startled as the glass is shattered from an ape-like creature that had fallen from the sky, he had come from Hollywood but his poor english had confused Vito after feeding the creature whether he wore to go back to hollywood florida or universal studios in hollywood calforinia. Gisuepe felt that this ape creature who with Benjamin Sigel in LA, would serve as a good enforcer for his crew.Vito Agreed, and sat the ape down and explained to him what kind of business they were in. They eat all kinds of Italian shit the shit you read about in every mob book.Vito had then instructed Giuseppe to take the ape to the local tailor George Anastasia, who fitted the ape with a nice tailored suit, a fedora and a pair of suspenders. George rang the ape up and after hearing the price of 60.00...The ape let out a loud cry to be heard for miles he threw George Anastassia threw the window whose head was squashed by a passing car.

Last edited by DickNose_Moltasanti; 05/07/12 09:28 AM.

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #646373
05/07/12 03:26 AM
05/07/12 03:26 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Giuseppe Mariposa then saw a beautiful young lady, having his face pressed against the glass they locked eyes. She slowly came over and lifted up her dress for little Giuseppe, he took his hands off his hips and from behind glass, he began to notice his needlike antenna was starting to obstruct the view of the window with a cloudy white substance..Giuseppe seemed to lose touch with reality, and then finally realized he was at a cat-house that belonged to vito.

Since I didn't get a review copy (despite my written request), I'm not sure if this is a direct quote, or your fantasy tongue ....

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: J Geoff] #646378
05/07/12 04:38 AM
05/07/12 04:38 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club

Geoff I edit by intro a little bit, since your review copy hasn't arrived yet.
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Giuseppe Mariposa then saw a beautiful young lady, having his face pressed against the glass they locked eyes. She slowly came over and lifted up her dress for little Giuseppe, he took his hands off his hips and from behind glass, he began to notice his needlike antenna was starting to obstruct the view of the window with a cloudy white substance..Giuseppe seemed to lose touch with reality, and then finally realized he was at a cat-house that belonged to vito.

Since I didn't get a review copy (despite my written request), I'm not sure if this is a direct quote, or your fantasy tongue ....

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646397
05/07/12 10:21 AM
05/07/12 10:21 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Dicknose, you should write a parody of The Godfather.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646400
05/07/12 11:08 AM
05/07/12 11:08 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Sure, encourage this gavone. rolleyes

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646405
05/07/12 11:50 AM
05/07/12 11:50 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Why the surname "Mariposa", when that's not an Italian name at all?

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646438
05/07/12 02:35 PM
05/07/12 02:35 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Tattaglia doesn't seem to be either.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646443
05/07/12 03:15 PM
05/07/12 03:15 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Thanks Sonny. I'm a fan of your posts as well. I guess not everyone feels the same way. frown

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #646451
05/07/12 04:10 PM
05/07/12 04:10 PM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
Did you sober up or something Dicknose? Your posts seem to be a lot more coherent. Still crazy, but more coherent.

Last edited by Chopper2012; 05/07/12 04:13 PM.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646453
05/07/12 04:18 PM
05/07/12 04:18 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

True.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #646459
05/07/12 05:11 PM
05/07/12 05:11 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Thanks Sonny. I'm a fan of your posts as well. I guess not everyone feels the same way. frown

Give me a break man, I'm just some guy on this board. But you're probably sarcastic anyway. wink

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646461
05/07/12 05:15 PM
05/07/12 05:15 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo

Neither is Sollozzo. Maybe their names were changed at Ellis Island.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646466
05/07/12 05:56 PM
05/07/12 05:56 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
According to this website the name Mariposa does exist in Italy, although it seems to be extremely rare.

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo-viaggi-e-tradizioni-italia?cognome=mariposa&x=0&y=0

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: carmela] #646471
05/07/12 06:25 PM
05/07/12 06:25 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The book hasn't even been released yet and look at the details we're tearing it apart for. lol

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: carmela] #646477
05/07/12 07:34 PM
05/07/12 07:34 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: carmela
According to this website the name Mariposa does exist in Italy, although it seems to be extremely rare.

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo-viaggi-e-tradizioni-italia?cognome=mariposa&x=0&y=0

I only said it's not an Italian name and it's not. If someone were going to make a fictional Italian character, that wouldn't be the name to choose; at least it shouldn't be.

And according to that site, there's roughly hundreds of "Smith" in Italy, too.

So where does this name come from then? It does sound more Italian than any other language. We all know Smith is evidently not an Italian name.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646478
05/07/12 07:36 PM
05/07/12 07:36 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
It's Spanish. It actually means "butterfly" in Spanish. I am just very familiar with that name and it being a Spanish one, which is why I even commented.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646480
05/07/12 07:49 PM
05/07/12 07:49 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Campania and Sicily were part of Spain for a very long time, so maybe therein lies the answer.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646483
05/07/12 08:01 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Sonnny don't take life so seriously or before you know it your hair will turn bright white and you'll be telling strangers that your name is Richard. Not Richard Certo but perhaps Richard Simmons that's a good one to use on the ladies.

Give me a break man, I'm just some guy on this board. But you're probably sarcastic anyway. wink

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646484
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
The answer that such a name, although it hails from Spain, might therefore exists in those parts of Italy. I bet there are a lot of Southern Italians with Spanish ancestry.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Chopper2012] #646485
05/07/12 08:05 PM
05/07/12 08:05 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
I had another VOP so I got the mouthpiece to have me sent down south for the winter rather then a cell.

Originally Posted By: Chopper2012
Did you sober up or something Dicknose? Your posts seem to be a lot more coherent. Still crazy, but more coherent.

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646486
05/07/12 08:08 PM
05/07/12 08:08 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
What does Dennis Hopper say in the movie True Romance.

The answer that such a name, although it hails from Spain, might therefore exists in those parts of Italy. I bet there are a lot of Southern Italians with Spanish ancestry.

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646508
05/08/12 01:38 AM
05/08/12 01:38 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Giuseppe despite his Italian first name was called out by the Boss's hothead son, Sonny, about being of Spanish descent and not Italian. The family over just a span of a few days had a sit-down. The ape who killed George Anastasia was now atop the empire state building hiding out. Vito disgusted with working with a bunch of amateurs,scolds Sonny into pre-screening better candidates for the family. "Sonny I'm very dissapointed in you, this Giuseppe character hes not even Italian, where is the honor.(Waiter comes over with a bunch of Italian Food.) Vito: Enough F'n Food Francisco, just bring me a glass of wine and a gun." If I wanted to start a faction of the United Nations I would of went to Washington to start recruiting people. We have Tom away at school, the ape is hiding out, and now some random Spanish kid.

Last edited by DickNose_Moltasanti; 05/08/12 03:22 PM.

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646584
05/08/12 03:49 PM
05/08/12 03:49 PM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Is there a book based in 21st century about Vincent corleone? Cause if not and if your book is good ed/Richie them you should do it!

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: short841] #646659
05/09/12 04:47 AM
05/09/12 04:47 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
I think they should leave the series alone. Were not talking about Harry Potter here.

Originally Posted By: short841
Is there a book based in 21st century about Vincent corleone? Cause if not and if your book is good ed/Richie
them you should do it!

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646675
05/09/12 11:00 AM
05/09/12 11:00 AM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
true that. but if this book is good and he writes in same style it would be good

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: short841] #646707
05/09/12 01:50 PM
05/09/12 01:50 PM
C
Crazy_Joe_Gallo Offline
Made Member
Crazy_Joe_Gallo  Offline
C
Made Member
I'd love to see a book about the final ruination of the Corleone Family in the 1990s under Vincent's leadership. I think one of the script ideas was that he took the family fully into the narcotics trade and in the end was killed in a manner similar to Pablo Escobar.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Crazy_Joe_Gallo] #646773
05/09/12 08:23 PM
05/09/12 08:23 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
Originally Posted By: Crazy_Joe_Gallo
I'd love to see a book about the final ruination of the Corleone Family in the 1990s under Vincent's leadership. I think one of the script ideas was that he took the family fully into the narcotics trade and in the end was killed in a manner similar to Pablo Escobar.

Not exactly original, too much like Scarface. Something less predictable would be better or with a twist, like he gives up the life and follows Hagen's son into the priesthood.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646860
05/10/12 02:43 PM
05/10/12 02:43 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
I've downloaded the audiobook off iTunes and am presently listening to it. I will let people know what I think of it once I have gotten more into it.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: dontommasino] #646864
05/10/12 03:06 PM
05/10/12 03:06 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I got my copy yesterday. I've read the jacket cover only and have already been disgusted by a "mistake" by Falco. The cover is reliving a discussion between Vito and Carmela about their eldest son. Vito says, "Sonny will be OK".

VITO NEVER CALLED HIS OLDEST SON, "SONNY". IT WAS ALWAYS, "SANTINO".

C'mon, Ed, if you're gonna write a book about the Corleones, you have to know this stuff!!!!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #646868
05/10/12 04:16 PM
05/10/12 04:16 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I got my copy yesterday. I've read the jacket cover only and have already been disgusted by a "mistake" by Falco. The cover is reliving a discussion between Vito and Carmela about their eldest son. Vito says, "Sonny will be OK".

C'mon, Ed, if you're gonna write a book about the Corleones, you have to know this stuff!!!!

That's honestly unforgivable. Between that and the ridiculous Empire State Building anachronism on page one---PAGE ONE!!!!---this book is already competing with Alexandra Ripley's literary "sequel" to "Gone With the Wind." And that ain't a compliment.

It's very telling that Paramount made all that noise. They must have known that this book was a dog. Because if it's not, why would they try to stop it when they would still own the inevitable movie rights?

But I haven't started it yet. I have my copy sitting on the kitchen table and I'll start it either tonight or tomorrow. And if I'm wrong about it, I'll gladly man up and post a stellar review for poor Ed.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #646874
05/10/12 05:07 PM
05/10/12 05:07 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Vito: "Never. Give him something to earn a living, a good living. But never let him know the Family's business. Tell the others, Sonny, Fredo, Clemenza."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: olivant] #646893
05/10/12 08:31 PM
05/10/12 08:31 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant

Vito: "Never. Give him something to earn a living, a good living. But never let him know the Family's business. Tell the others, Sonny, Fredo, Clemenza."

Nice one. Guess that means he will survive this round.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646898
05/10/12 09:02 PM
05/10/12 09:02 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: olivant

Nice one. Guess that means he will survive this round.

Not so fast. I suspect that olivant, in his rush to find my statement wrong skipped over this quote, a few pages before his quoted line above. Puzo wrote: "Standing at the door with him were two of his three sons. The eldest, baptized Santino but called Sonny by everyone except his father, was looked at askance by the older Italian men;"

Puzo chose to add this at the introduction of the character in the novel. It's a telling thing.

The line olivant quoted is merely a mistake in editing, something that should have been caught but obviously wasn't.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646916
05/11/12 03:24 AM
05/11/12 03:24 AM
The Army Barracks
The_Don_Is_Dead Offline
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
The_Don_Is_Dead  Offline
A Rabid Anti-Dentite
Made Member
The Army Barracks
lets think of vito as a person, he makes mistakes here and there or says names differently than usual (not perfect wording i know) but still you can't point out that little flaw it's just nit picking.

The more i see, the less i know - John Lennon
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646919
05/11/12 04:56 AM
05/11/12 04:56 AM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
i got mine on wednesday. not too bad. better then winegarder or whatever is name is! but only read the first 30 pages

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646920
05/11/12 05:05 AM
05/11/12 05:05 AM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Ed, what I dont like is you always put in "said". you never put any other word. angelo said blah blah but then you put vinnie said. been more interesting using other words like replied, asked, whispered smile

Last edited by short841; 05/11/12 04:51 PM.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #646944
05/11/12 11:03 AM
05/11/12 11:03 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
The line olivant quoted is merely a mistake in editing, something that should have been caught but obviously wasn't.

Maybe it's also a mistake in editing in this novel? In any case, I don't really care that much about these minor details as long as the story itself is good.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646987
05/11/12 01:42 PM
05/11/12 01:42 PM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
sonny you getting it?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646997
05/11/12 02:27 PM
05/11/12 02:27 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Yes, but I wait till the ebook is available to buy in the Netherlands.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647061
05/12/12 06:51 AM
05/12/12 06:51 AM
JJ_Gittes Offline
Wiseguy
JJ_Gittes  Offline
Wiseguy
Picked the book up a couple of days ago, but it's now second in a queue to be read. Irvine Welsh's 'Skagboys' came out a couple of weeks ago, & I've been waiting three years for it, so that's what's being read first.

I've been hanging out for another GF novel for years, Skagboys was originally meant to be published in 2010 - what are the odds that they'd both be released within a week or so of each other?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: JJ_Gittes] #647092
05/12/12 04:27 PM
05/12/12 04:27 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
That Vito calls his oldest son Santino while everyone else call him Sonny is Puzo's excellent way of characterizing Vito. Vito is more reserved and formal than the others around him. And I do have Vito almost always refer to Sonny as Santino, but I didn't see it as some kind of rule that could never be broken. In a tender moment between Vito and his wife, he might refer to Santino the same way his wife does, as Sonny. I was trying for a moment of tenderness between Vito and his wife.

Here are a couple of particularly good reviews of the novel that came out last week.

George De Stefano is the author of An Offer We Can’t Refuse: The Mafia in the Mind of America (Faber & Faber/Farrar, Straus, Giroux). He is also a member of the National Book Critics Circle. From The New York Journal of Books:

http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/review/family-corleone

Jon Jordan is ex-cop/detective turned novelist from Milwaukee. From Crimespree:

http://crimespreemag.com/blog/?s=The+Family+Corleone

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647094
05/12/12 04:50 PM
05/12/12 04:50 PM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Liking it so far. Better then the winegardner ones

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647164
05/13/12 11:13 AM
05/13/12 11:13 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Just purchased the ebook at kobobooks.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647168
05/13/12 11:54 AM
05/13/12 11:54 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In a tender moment between Vito and his wife, he might refer to Santino the same way his wife does, as Sonny. I was trying for a moment of tenderness between Vito and his wife.

In the only sentence I could find in the novel where Vito calls him Sonny, it was a tender moment between Vito and Tom about Carlo.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647353
05/15/12 10:08 AM
05/15/12 10:08 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Maranzano from the Puzo novel has had his name changed to Mariposa. Is there any specific reason for this? The novel refers to real-life figures such as Dutch Schultz, Al Capone, etc., so why change the name of that character?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: dontommasino] #647359
05/15/12 12:01 PM
05/15/12 12:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontommasino
Maranzano from the Puzo novel has had his name changed to Mariposa. Is there any specific reason for this? The novel refers to real-life figures such as Dutch Schultz, Al Capone, etc., so why change the name of that character?

Are you referring to Maranzalla? Maranzano is mentioned.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647402
05/15/12 05:56 PM
05/15/12 05:56 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I've searched for "Maranzano" in the ebook but without results. I've also noticed another small error: Massimo Fanucci was killed during the Feast of San Rocco, not San Gennaro as stated in the novel. The Feast of San Gennaro was first held in 1926.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #647455
05/16/12 10:08 AM
05/16/12 10:08 AM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Sonny: Is the Feast of San Rocco mentioned anywhere in the books or movies? I spent some time trying figure this out and decided eventually that it was an anachronism but also one of the most famous scenes from the movie. In the movie, we see Saint Anthony being paraded through the streets with dollar bills pinned to his image. I grew up in Brooklyn and went to the Feast of San Gennaro many times, and this parading of Saint Anthony was one of the highlights of the whole affair. So, again, I figured it was the Feast of San Gennaro and a minor anachronism and went with it in the novel because it was such a famous scene. But if the Feast of San Rocco is mentioned anywhere--and they also parade a saint (though it looked like Saint Anthony to me) I'd love to know . . .

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: dontommasino] #647459
05/16/12 10:19 AM
05/16/12 10:19 AM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Dontommasion: The Family Corleone is set in 1934, and Salvatore Maranzano died in 1931. Luciano and Lansky set up Maranzano after they learned that he had hired Mad Dog Coll to murder Luciano and Vito Genovese. In The Godfather, Puzo has Maranzano still alive in 1933, two years after he'd been killed. Schultz and Capone were still around in '34, though Capone was in prison.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647465
05/16/12 11:13 AM
05/16/12 11:13 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Sonny: Is the Feast of San Rocco mentioned anywhere in the books or movies? I spent some time trying figure this out and decided eventually that it was an anachronism but also one of the most famous scenes from the movie. In the movie, we see Saint Anthony being paraded through the streets with dollar bills pinned to his image. I grew up in Brooklyn and went to the Feast of San Gennaro many times, and this parading of Saint Anthony was one of the highlights of the whole affair. So, again, I figured it was the Feast of San Gennaro and a minor anachronism and went with it in the novel because it was such a famous scene. But if the Feast of San Rocco is mentioned anywhere--and they also parade a saint (though it looked like Saint Anthony to me) I'd love to know . . .

I don't think the novel explicitly refers to the Feast of San Rocco, but it is described that Vito kills Fanucci on a hot summer night. The Feast of San Rocco is held in mid August which fits perfectly while the Feast of San Gennaro is held in late September.

Anyway, in the movie it's without any doubt the Feast of San Rocco as shown in these screenshots:

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #647468
05/16/12 11:29 AM
05/16/12 11:29 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Yeah, the screenshot of San Rocco was always memorable to me.

Here's a pic of the real Feast of San Rocco from 1933 (read the insert in the lower right hand corner). The statue with the money pinned on it is a likeness of Saint Rocco, not Saint Anthony. Although in defense of Ed, I've been to many Feasts in the Bronx and Manhattan where the statue that was passed through the streets was a likeness of Saint Anthony.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647481
05/16/12 12:34 PM
05/16/12 12:34 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
San Rocco is what I remember.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #647525
05/16/12 09:05 PM
05/16/12 09:05 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California

I'm not even a nitpicker, but I pretty much noticed that IMMEDIATELY while reading the jacket. Still, as long as the story is good, I'm willing to give it a chance.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647535
05/16/12 09:51 PM
05/16/12 09:51 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Sonny, Pizzaboy, Olivant: Thanks. Great screen shots. I'm shaking my head at having not realized that HUGE sign indicated the Feast of San Rocco, and not the name of a church, which is how I think it registered with me. Thanks for clarifying. If I'm lucky and the book goes to a second edition, I may get a chance to make minor changes in the text.

I just learned about an hour ago that the book sold well enough its first week to land at #16 on the 5/27 NY Times Best Seller list, so maybe I'll be lucky and get that chance.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647540
05/16/12 10:48 PM
05/16/12 10:48 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I just learned about an hour ago that the book sold well enough its first week to land at #16 on the 5/27 NY Times Best Seller list, so maybe I'll be lucky and get that chance.

clap

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647580
05/17/12 09:42 AM
05/17/12 09:42 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
I'm into the second half of the book and things seem to be moving very quickly now!

RichCerto, the gentlemen who did the audio recording for the book did Pentangeli very well!

Last edited by dontommasino; 05/17/12 09:46 AM.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647629
05/17/12 03:24 PM
05/17/12 03:24 PM
Georgia, USA
D
DonRobertoCorleone Offline
Button
DonRobertoCorleone  Offline
D
Button
Georgia, USA
Just finished the book. It's a whole lot better than Winegardner's books thats for sure. I would hope Falco will now be the one to attempt a book on the end of the Corleone Saga (Vincent as head of the family)

****Spolier alert****

One criticism though: I was always under the impression that when Vito was shot by a group of Mad Dog Irishmen it was more than just a shoulder injury. I would have expected that he would have had to be in the hospital. Also Puzo speaks of Sonny taking charge while Vito was down and starting his own regime "like a young napoleon" I didnt see any of that in the novel so for that Im a bit dissappointed

DonRobertoCorleone
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647635
05/17/12 03:55 PM
05/17/12 03:55 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I would be more interested in a novel which covers the years between 1959 and 1979. I've now read the first 100 pages and it's pretty decent so far.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #647640
05/17/12 04:01 PM
05/17/12 04:01 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I would be more interested in a novel which covers the years between 1959 and 1979.

So would I. I'd like to see how Connie took care of Michael in the post-Kay era. I'd also like to see just how much contact Michael had with his children during that time period. And, probably most of all, I'd like to see what happened to the Rosato brothers.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647649
05/17/12 04:39 PM
05/17/12 04:39 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
As they were apparantly around in 1933 I think they pretty much retired after the Hyman Roth debacle. whistle

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #647652
05/17/12 04:56 PM
05/17/12 04:56 PM
Georgia, USA
D
Button
D
Button
Georgia, USA
That would be an interesting time. I actually had been thinking up a story like that. That time would be an amazing story though im not sure how you could steer clear of the presidential assassination stuff

DonRobertoCorleone
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647757
05/18/12 11:35 AM
05/18/12 11:35 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
If possible, I'd like to get a list going of who's finished the book. That way we can control the use of the spoiler tags.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647767
05/18/12 12:29 PM
05/18/12 12:29 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Just create a new topic with a spoiler alert so people who haven't finished or read the book know they should avoid it.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647792
05/18/12 02:57 PM
05/18/12 02:57 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

My copy has arrived, but I may not read it until the summer when I'm on my next vacation.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647812
05/18/12 06:06 PM
05/18/12 06:06 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Click to reveal..
It seems that the tragic character (the "Fredo" or the "Tessio") is this Bobby Corcoran. He is part Santino's gang until it is discovered by Don Vito who gives the Italians positions in the family, but cuts loose the Irish including Corcoran.

Bobby refuses to go along with the plot to kill Vito, however he ends up at the site of the shooting and while trying to shoot Stevie Dwyer to protect Vito he ends up hitting Vito in the shoulder.

He is unable to explain himself and is thus a marked man by the Corleone Family. In fact, Santino is to make his bones on Corcoran.

I genuinely felt sympathy for the character.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: dontommasino] #647847
05/18/12 09:38 PM
05/18/12 09:38 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Ordered The Family Corleone on my Nook the other day. Was in the middle of reading another book, Trunk Music by Michael Connelly (I am hooked on his Harry Bosch series of novels) and finished it yesterday. So I started reading The Family Corleone and so far I am enjoying it.

Funny thing is that as I read, in my minds eye I see Scott Caan as young Santino. LOL.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Cardi] #647848
05/18/12 09:42 PM
05/18/12 09:42 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Funny thing is that as I read, in my minds eye I see Scott Caan as young Santino. LOL.

Niiiice!!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Just Lou] #647862
05/19/12 03:10 AM
05/19/12 03:10 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I got mine a couple days ago but haven't started it yet...

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
My copy has arrived, but I may not read it until the summer when I'm on my next vacation.

If you only read while on vacation, you should be done with it in no time! lol wink

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Cardi] #647878
05/19/12 08:45 AM
05/19/12 08:45 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Ordered The Family Corleone on my Nook the other day. Was in the middle of reading another book, Trunk Music by Michael Connelly (I am hooked on his Harry Bosch series of novels) and finished it yesterday. So I started reading The Family Corleone and so far I am enjoying it.

The resemblance to his father there is eerie!

I don't know if I can picture him as Santino though based on the types of characters he's played on Entourage and Hawaii 5-0.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #647891
05/19/12 10:39 AM
05/19/12 10:39 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Can we interpret that picture as a hint for a new movie? wink

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #647921
05/19/12 12:32 PM
05/19/12 12:32 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Maybe if they remake the original (God forbid), or set a possible film in the late '30s or early '40s. But as far as adapting "The Family Corleone," Sonny is only 17 years old in the book, Scott Caan is almost 36. He's actually older now than his father was when he played Sonny (James Caan was 31 while filming in 1971).

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #647944
05/19/12 01:53 PM
05/19/12 01:53 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
But as far as adapting "The Family Corleone," Sonny is only 17 years old in the book, Scott Caan is almost 36. He's actually older now than his father was when he played Sonny (James Caan was 31 while filming in 1971).

And your point being? tongue With today's technology in hollywood.... wink

Seriously though, I was not suggesting using Scott Caan if a movie was to be made. I merely was pointing out that in my mind's eye I just pictured a young Scott Caan as Sonny while reading.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Cardi] #647945
05/19/12 01:59 PM
05/19/12 01:59 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
But as far as adapting "The Family Corleone," Sonny is only 17 years old in the book, Scott Caan is almost 36. He's actually older now than his father was when he played Sonny (James Caan was 31 while filming in 1971).

And your point being? tongue With today's technology in hollywood.... wink

Seriously though, I was not suggesting using Scott Caan if a movie was to be made. I merely was pointing out that in my mind's eye I just pictured a young Scott Caan as Sonny while reading.

A CGI Sonny? God help us all lol.

I like him, but I think the kid tries too hard emulate his father. It's a deliberate affectation, like Liza trying to be Judy.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Cardi] #647946
05/19/12 02:02 PM
05/19/12 02:02 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

Don't lie to us! That's an infamia. wink

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: J Geoff] #647967
05/19/12 04:47 PM
05/19/12 04:47 PM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

I got mine a couple days ago but haven't started it yet...

If you only read while on vacation, you should be done with it in no time! lol wink

wink Now that I don't waste any of my vacation free time playing "Mafia Wars", I have time for other things.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #649748
06/03/12 02:54 PM
06/03/12 02:54 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I'll save my full analysis until I'm finished, but while away I got thru a little over half the book -- which is quite an accomplishment for me, and a testament to the author. While not perfect (what is?), so far so good! cool

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: J Geoff] #649759
06/03/12 03:12 PM
06/03/12 03:12 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

I'll save my full analysis until I'm finished, but while away I got thru a little over half the book -- which is quit an accomplishment for me, and a testament to the author. While not perfect (what is?), so far so good! cool

Just wondering, but did you order your copy?

I had stopped at about page 100 because I wanted to continue reading on my new smart phone. Now that it's here I'm going to continue reading it as it's much more suitable as an ereader than a computer screen. wink

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #649790
06/03/12 06:35 PM
06/03/12 06:35 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Just wondering, but did you order your copy?

Yeah, I got the hardcover from Amazon.com.

While I like the idea of being able to read it on a device (Kindle edition is here) anywhere/anytime, I still do prefer holding a book. wink

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: J Geoff] #649859
06/04/12 11:46 AM
06/04/12 11:46 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I read it over the Memorial Day weekend, but I was hoping someone else would post an opinion first. Well, I guess I'll start. I'll try not to give too much away, but if you're leery of spoilers you might want to stop reading this post right now.

The book was much better than either of Winegardner's. At least Falco has a grasp of Italian American New York. Winegardner is a blue eyed Ohioan, and that's how he chose to portray the protagonist in his books. Big mistake.

I enjoyed the storyline of the Irish and the Italians struggling for control of the West Side. I now believe it was indeed based on a Puzo script. I admit I had my doubts. That said, the book still wasn't up to par with anything Puzo ever wrote (and truth be told, I think Puzo was a great storyteller, but not a great writer). The dialogue was also kinda cheesy, but it could just be that a lot of the 1930s patois seems dated today. So what do I know?

I could have lived without knowing how Luca became so slow witted. I also didn't need to know that he didn't like to bathe.

But my biggest problem with the book was the portrayal of the Rosato brothers as contemporaries of Vito's. Now I could be wrong, but I always felt that the Rosatos were younger "upstarts," and definitely younger than Pentangeli. And if you know that they were based on the Gallo brothers, then you should know that the Gallos were little kids in 1933-1934.

I was sympathetic towards Cork and his sister. They both deserved a better fate. And I did enjoy the Bronx setting. So the Corleones lived on Hughes Avenue? We were almost neighbors! I grew up on 187th and Hoffman and still own a property there, so I admit this was a nice surprise smile.

Nice try, Ed. But in the words of Maxwell Smart, you missed it by that much.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #649864
06/04/12 12:00 PM
06/04/12 12:00 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
I also felt sorry for Cork and his sister.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, I felt the first half was a bit slow, but it picked up after that.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #649869
06/04/12 12:11 PM
06/04/12 12:11 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I also have a little trouble with the Rosato brothers already being around in 1933. Bear in mind that the actors who portrayed them were merely 40.

Also, I would like to repeat Carmela's question about Giuseppe Mariposa: from all the Italian names, why choose one that hails from Spain?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #649871
06/04/12 12:21 PM
06/04/12 12:21 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I also have a little trouble with the Rosato brothers already being around in 1933. Bear in mind that the actors who portrayed them were merely 40.

Exactly wink.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #650030
06/05/12 12:08 AM
06/05/12 12:08 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I'm only halfway thru, but have been finding it odd that Luca Brasi has been so verbose and articulate here -- yet in the movie, he was a bumbling idiot. confused He hardly appeared in the first film, but is practically the star of the novel so far. Which is fine, I guess.

But I do like how some backstories have been included.

I wanted to wait until I finished to comment, tho... But I did miss the "celebration" beginning that occurs at the beginning of each film... and Vito just doesn't "sound" like himself so far, and has been minimal in the story somehow, so far...

But I do like the writing style -- Falco paints a nice picture. Not nearly like Steinbeck or anything, but pretty okay. But some missed spelling edits made me cringe a little. wink

The glossary is cool, tho -- but don't find it necessary to italicize so much.

Anyway, I'm gonna wait 'til I'm finished... grin

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #650039
06/05/12 02:08 AM
06/05/12 02:08 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Does anyone know if Ed is signing copies of the book I want an autographed one

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: J Geoff] #650070
06/05/12 11:01 AM
06/05/12 11:01 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

I'm only halfway thru, but have been finding it odd that Luca Brasi has been so verbose and articulate here -- yet in the movie, he was a bumbling idiot. confused

The Luca Brasi in Puzo's novel does not resemblance the Luca Brasi in the film either. In Puzo's novel Luca is "squat", while in the film he's muscular and large. He also talks a lot more in Puzo's novel if I remember correctly.

So far (and I'm only in chapter 10) I think Vito and Sonny behave like we know them. They behave much more like themselves than in the Winegardner novel that's for sure.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: J Geoff] #650073
06/05/12 11:44 AM
06/05/12 11:44 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I'm only halfway thru, but have been finding it odd that Luca Brasi has been so verbose and articulate here -- yet in the movie, he was a bumbling idiot.

There's an explanation given later in the book as to how Luca's speech became slow and dim-witted.

The glossary is cool, tho -- but don't find it necessary to italicize so much.

Agreed on the italics. They're not really necessary. There seems to be a lot more Italian slang in this book than in any of Puzo's. I guess that's why Falco felt the need for the glossary.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #650076
06/05/12 12:19 PM
06/05/12 12:19 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
This has to be the funniest thread on the forum

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: DonRobertoCorleone] #650095
06/05/12 03:02 PM
06/05/12 03:02 PM
J
Johnny5 Offline
Associate
Johnny5  Offline
J
Associate
Originally Posted By: DonRobertoCorleone
Just finished the book. It's a whole lot better than Winegardner's books thats for sure. I would hope Falco will now be the one to attempt a book on the end of the Corleone Saga (Vincent as head of the family)

****Spolier alert****

One criticism though: I was always under the impression that when Vito was shot by a group of Mad Dog Irishmen it was more than just a shoulder injury. I would have expected that he would have had to be in the hospital. Also Puzo speaks of Sonny taking charge while Vito was down and starting his own regime "like a young napoleon" I didnt see any of that in the novel so for that Im a bit dissappointed

There are MANY discrepancies between The Godfatherbook and The Family Corleone..... most notably what you mentioned. This really bothers me. I always liked the idea of Sonny being a "Young Napoleon" and was waiting for him to kick some ass as I read the book. Never really happened. The Luca Basement scene is different, as is Marranzano being changed to Mariposa. Theres a lot more that I can't think of off hand, but these kept me from really enjoying the book

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #650100
06/05/12 03:23 PM
06/05/12 03:23 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
The question is how much of it is directly taken from the Puzo script, and how much is artistic license. Maybe Puzo changed certain elements from his original novel himself.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #650200
06/06/12 11:17 AM
06/06/12 11:17 AM
J
Johnny5 Offline
Associate
Johnny5  Offline
J
Associate
The question is how much of it is directly taken from the Puzo script, and how much is artistic license. Maybe Puzo changed certain elements from his original novel himself.

Agreed. I guess we'll never know. I know Puzo placed discrepancies between his book and the movies (Vincents existence for example), which bothered me also. Too many contradictions in this last installment make the whole body of Godfather work in-cohesive.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Johnny5] #650547
06/08/12 09:47 PM
06/08/12 09:47 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Been away for awhile . . .

The basic narrative arc of The Family Corleone comes from Puzo's screenplay. Actually, it's not one screenplay, but rather unproduced pages extracted from The Godfather 3, and pages from The Godfather 4--the movie Coppola and Puzo wanted to make but Paramount scotched. There's a total of about 55 pages of script, and I followed as closely as possible Puzo's story, which was essentially about Sonny entering into his father's business, and Vito's resistance to Sonny being in the business. But 55 pages of script won't stretch into a 450 page novel, so I had to do a lot of inventing built around Puzo's framework. Mostly I did my best to stay true to the spirit of Puzo's work. One book reviewer wrote that it was tough for anyone to write a prequel/sequel to Puzo because his fans are so loyal they'll likely burn the writer in effigy for even trying. So far--at least as far as I know--no one has burned me in effigy, and so I'm grateful. I'm also a Puzo fan. He was a great storyteller. I think The Fortunate Pilgrim is his best book. In fact, I think it's a masterpiece of American Lit. But I also like The Sicilian a great deal, and The Last Don. They're good stories and great reads.

I'm reading Man of Honor now, Joe Bonanno's autobiography. Interesting to see how much of The Godfather is borrowed from the history of the Castellammarese wars.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #650563
06/08/12 11:21 PM
06/08/12 11:21 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

"Rich", I'll say again, that I'm not a huge reader (damn Internet and real life keeps me away most of the time), but I have to say that I've been absorbed in your fine work! Steinbeck has been my favorite, and you have a stroke of his fine visuals. Your prose is also quite cinematic at times, which really adds to the story -- as I try to visualize how it would appear in a film. I'm not quite finished yet -- have about 80pp to go -- but I'll say you've done a fine job indeed. cool But I gotta see how it ends first lol Kudos!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: J Geoff] #650568
06/09/12 12:33 AM
06/09/12 12:33 AM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Thanks. Much appreciated. Steinbeck is an American great, an icon.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #650593
06/09/12 08:32 AM
06/09/12 08:32 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I'm enjoying the story so far too. I'm taking my time to read it. Probably 10-20 pages a day or so. I'm in chapter 13 now.

I've noticed that Mrs. Columbo in this novel is actually written as Colombo in the original novel and film. And shouldn't Carmella be written as Carmela? I read somewhere that the name in Italian is only written with one L.

Call me a purist or whatever. whistle

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #650747
06/10/12 10:10 AM
06/10/12 10:10 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
I find it intriguing that some of the "little things" that are pointed out actually made it to print. With the loyal and very attentive fan base of all things Godfather/Puzo/FFC coupled with the Winegardner disappointments - how can this be? Please don't perceive this as a call out or disrespect, Mr. Certo but I for one would have liked to see a bit more attention to detail. I realize that these are just small pebbles in the big sea. Please don't be offended.
Admittedly, I have not read this yet but I will soon. My general and most likely ignorant comments are based upon first impressions of the feedback on this thread. I look forward to losing myself in this new GF world very very soon. It must have been quite a task to attach all the patches of scripts and unpublished work with a common thread. I'm sure when I have finished all those "little things" will not matter.

(Yes - all this from someone who couldn't write a short story if their own life depended upon it! wink )

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: J Geoff] #651186
06/12/12 06:14 PM
06/12/12 06:14 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

"Rich", I have to say that I've been absorbed in your fine work! Your prose is also quite cinematic at times, which really adds to the story -- as I try to visualize how it would appear in a film. I'm not quite finished yet -- but I'll say you've done a fine job indeed. cool But I gotta see how it ends first lol Kudos!

DITTO......I too am sincerely enjoying this book.

Don Cardi cool

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #651287
06/13/12 08:14 AM
06/13/12 08:14 AM
Indiana
B
Bozak Offline
Wiseguy
Bozak  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Indiana
Mr. Certo, just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Just thought you'd like to hear that instead of all the nit picking.

Well done, sir.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Bozak] #651306
06/13/12 10:55 AM
06/13/12 10:55 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Bozak
Mr. Certo, just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Just thought you'd like to hear that instead of all the nit picking.

Well done, sir.

There are at least as many compliments so far as there is nitpicking, which is ofcourse a good thing. Any good writer should endure criticism and nitpicking, especially if it's about The Godfather.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #651881
06/17/12 02:22 PM
06/17/12 02:22 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I will nitpick just two more details.

1. Paulie could not be 10 years old in 1935. In the original novel he is described as being 26 years old in 1945.

2. Connie could not be 6 years old in 1934, at least regarding the movie timeline as that would be physically impossible. When Vito and his family return to Sicily, Michael is a toddler of about three years old and Connie is a baby. So that means that Connie was born in 1922/1923, maybe 1924 at the latest. I think Ed Falco based this on the official timeline which states that Connie was born in 1927. I doubt this timeline was constructed by FFC.

I understand this will probably be annoying, but I really can't help mentioning it. I've just finished the story and will post my opinion later on.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #651912
06/17/12 06:06 PM
06/17/12 06:06 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
I was at a bonfire last night and threw the book in the fire.

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #652065
06/18/12 12:00 PM
06/18/12 12:00 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
So, after the Weingardner books I swore not to read any other attempts at new Godfather material. The temptation of the Family Corleone was too much and I took it out of the library and read it. The bar was set pretty low for it in my mind, but I found myself enjoying it. I like the idea that you know most of the characters, but some of the storylines seem a little too contrived. It almost tried too hard to tie up questions and use Italian slang. I still enjoyed it, and you could make a movie out of it.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #652075
06/18/12 12:56 PM
06/18/12 12:56 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Paulie could not be 10 years old in 1935. In the original novel he is described as being 26 years old in 1945.

I caught that too, Sonny. The original novel clearly states that Michael and Paulie were once classmates. That's why Michael felt bad when he heard what happened to Paulie. Falco's novel has Michael being four years older than Paulie.

Here's how I feel in a nutshell: Falco's novel was well written, but it was poorly researched. It's one thing to make an anachronism like the needle on the Empire State Building, but to get the ages wrong on major characters is quite another thing. And I still can't get past the Rosato brothers being portrayed as contemporaries of Vito's. They were clearly much younger than Pentangeli in Part II.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #652105
06/18/12 02:52 PM
06/18/12 02:52 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I can live with the Rosato brothers being around in the early days, because there's no rule that they should be completely reminiscent to the Gallo brothers, whom they are based on. Afterall, The Godfather has its own universe. I also don't have a problem with the war being set a year later than in the original novel. Remember that Clemenza says in film that the last war took place ten years earlier.

But I can't deny that I also have the impression that this story was written too hastily, based on the many discrepancies. But then again, the original novel and even the films also have many discrepancies, which we are all more than aware of.

The good thing about this novel is that's its much more a novel like the original than the Winegardner stuff. It's much more true to the original novel and the films and is therefore a nice addition. The portrayal of the main characters, like Vito, Sonny and the rest of the family is well done. They all act and behave authentically, based upon their behaviour and personality as seen in the films. I especially liked the story of Sonny and Sandra, which was excellent and very realistic. I very much enjoyed that part. So for that I give Falco a big plus.

But this novel also has too much of an introduction and too less of an ending. IMO, a little too much of the story is focussed on the Irish, and too less on the actual war between the Corleones and Maranzano/Mariposa, which was something that I think this novel was supposed to be about. In the original novel the war went on for six months, while in this novel it only went on for a couple of weeks. So in that perspective, the story lacks information and it leaves many questions unanswered. I'm a little disappointed in the fact that there's no mention of Hyman Roth, Moe Greene or Murder Inc., which was at its height in the mid 1930s.

The story overall is decent, but as of this moment it's not completely fulfiling. I hope that Falco makes some changes in a next edition based on our feedback.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #652106
06/18/12 02:59 PM
06/18/12 02:59 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Also, I would like to add that I think Frankie Pentangeli may be a bit too old in this novel. He's described as being about 40 in 1933, which would make him about 15 years older than the actor who portrayed him. Michael V. Gazzo was only 50 years old when he portrayed Pentangeli.

Not that's it's such a big deal, but I like to pay attention to those details. wink

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #653145
06/25/12 08:58 PM
06/25/12 08:58 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I can live with the Rosato brothers being around in the early days, because there's no rule that they should be completely reminiscent to the Gallo brothers, whom they are based on. Afterall, The Godfather has its own universe. I also don't have a problem with the war being set a year later than in the original novel. Remember that Clemenza says in film that the last war took place ten years earlier.

But I can't deny that I also have the impression that this story was written too hastily, based on the many discrepancies. But then again, the original novel and even the films also have many discrepancies, which we are all more than aware of.

The good thing about this novel is that's its much more a novel like the original than the Winegardner stuff. It's much more true to the original novel and the films and is therefore a nice addition. The portrayal of the main characters, like Vito, Sonny and the rest of the family is well done. They all act and behave authentically, based upon their behaviour and personality as seen in the films. I especially liked the story of Sonny and Sandra, which was excellent and very realistic. I very much enjoyed that part. So for that I give Falco a big plus.

But this novel also has too much of an introduction and too less of an ending. IMO, a little too much of the story is focussed on the Irish, and too less on the actual war between the Corleones and Maranzano/Mariposa, which was something that I think this novel was supposed to be about. In the original novel the war went on for six months, while in this novel it only went on for a couple of weeks. So in that perspective, the story lacks information and it leaves many questions unanswered. I'm a little disappointed in the fact that there's no mention of Hyman Roth, Moe Greene or Murder Inc., which was at its height in the mid 1930s.

The story overall is decent, but as of this moment it's not completely fulfiling. I hope that Falco makes some changes in a next edition based on our feedback.

Well said my friend. I agree all around.

Overall I did enjoy the novel as, unlike the other two pieces of Winegardner trash, this was a quick read and overall stood true to the original novel and films. If memory serves me correctly this novel was written based on a screenplay. If that be the case then I can understand that while many things would have to be based around the original novel, overall it would also have to serve some of the things that we saw in the film. So therefore I can understand that some of the things that we may have read in the original novel had to be altered so that they would lean more towards coinciding with the the films.

However, with all that being said, there is one particular detail that has troubled me. Now I am going off of memory as it's been a long time since I read Puzo's novel. Am I correct in remembering that in Puzo's novel the Irish gang shot Vito in the throat / chest area causing him to talk with a raspy voice?

Don Cardi cool

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Cardi] #653215
06/26/12 12:03 PM
06/26/12 12:03 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
However, with all that being said, there is one particular detail that has troubled me. Now I am going off of memory as it's been a long time since I read Puzo's novel. Am I correct in remembering that in Puzo's novel the Irish gang shot Vito in the throat / chest area causing him to talk with a raspy voice?

In Puzo's novel he was hit in the chest. The raspy voice was introduced by Marlon Brando after he had watched tapes of Frank Costello during the Kefauver hearings.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #653228
06/26/12 12:47 PM
06/26/12 12:47 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I wonder what J Geoff's final opinion is. He must have finished the novel by now?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #653327
06/26/12 09:55 PM
06/26/12 09:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

In Puzo's novel he was hit in the chest. The raspy voice was introduced by Marlon Brando after he had watched tapes of Frank Costello during the Kefauver hearings.

Ok, I thought that the novel stated that he was shot in the chest. So why write in this novel that he was shot in the arm? confused

I believe that after reading the Puzo novel and reading that Vito was shot in the chest, Brando felt that Vito should now have a raspy voice.

And one other thing that troubled me was that no mention was made of Sonny seeing Vito kill Fannucci. In this novel he says that he saw Vito kill Tom's biological father, but never references his witnessing Vito killing Fannucci. confused

Once again, overall I enjoyed this book. But I am just a bit confused as to why these two key references from the original novel were not mentioned (Fannucci) and changed (Shot in the arm).

RichCerto?

Don Cardi cool

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Cardi] #653378
06/27/12 11:31 AM
06/27/12 11:31 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
So why write in this novel that he was shot in the arm? confused

I think he was hit in the shoulder. And the shoulder and chest are not that far apart. tongue

Quote:
And one other thing that troubled me was that no mention was made of Sonny seeing Vito kill Fannucci. In this novel he says that he saw Vito kill Tom's biological father, but never references his witnessing Vito killing Fannucci. confused

In this novel Falco based Sonny's ago on the movie timeline. I always thought it to be a little strange that a three or four year old Sonny would be able to go outside alone and follow his father over the roof, and last but not least, that he would even remember seeing such a thing at that age. That's why I think in this novel Falco changed it to Sonny seeing Vito murdering Tom's father when he was younger.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #653469
06/28/12 12:33 AM
06/28/12 12:33 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
my biggest issue is the "forced post foreshadowing" (a term i invented lol). I know the movie by heart sir. I do NOT need you to describe the towel that Vito shoots Fannuci with or how Vito witnesses his mother being blasted with a shotgun and "her arms flaring up". [and many MANY more]

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: FrankWhite] #653527
06/28/12 12:33 PM
06/28/12 12:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I agree with Don Cardi about Sonny. Puzo's book made it pretty clear that the defining moment of Sonny's young life was watching his father kill Fanucci. In Falco's book the defining moment is when he sees Tom's father get killed. I get what SB is saying about the timeline. He's right. But if that's the case, Falco shouldn't have had Sonny witness a murder at all. That scene just played too big a part in the original novel to change.

As far as the foreshadowing, from the first time I read the line "the furnace roared," and he mentioned it more than once, I knew where he was going. I think we all did.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #653600
06/28/12 07:04 PM
06/28/12 07:04 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL

As far as the foreshadowing, from the first time I read the line "the furnace roared," and he mentioned it more than once, I knew where he was going. I think we all did.

unfortunately smh. shoot... everything seemed so forced. like there were times where times, like when he was describing the Fannuci hit, that i actually felt so embarrassingly uncomfortable that I physically began gritting my teeth and had to put it down.

BUT... all that being said... I will say that I did enjoy the read. It actually gave me more Sonny and Luca (which are 2 of my fave characters). I always felt like I never really knew Luca or Sonny... only the over acted caricatures of the part of their personalities that was needed to be shown to connect dots within the plot.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: FrankWhite] #655172
07/12/12 12:30 PM
07/12/12 12:30 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I have maybe 20 pages left to read...but I have really enjoyed it thus far. The changes bugged me, since this is a franchise where details are so important, but overall, I think Falco got Vito and Sonny perfectly...even the limited dialog of Pentangelli was spot on.

I also wish the novel would have had more of the similar structure of the films, but all in all it was a great read.

Job well done.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #655649
07/16/12 02:51 AM
07/16/12 02:51 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
I just read it, thought the Luca Brasi parts were too cartoonish. Also the dropping of names of characters from movie and original book was a bit forced.

Sonny was actually made into annoying character, with his frequent interruptions. It was overdone.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #656068
07/19/12 03:31 PM
07/19/12 03:31 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
It's about a month after I finished the novel and the feeling I have about it is still pretty good, despite some of the flaws. The portrayal of the main characters is the strongest part. I also like the idea of Barzini being a lieutenant for Maranzano/Mariposa and ultimately betraying him, because that was typically the kind of figure he was. Barzini was very much a Vito Genovese; very cunning, ambitious, unreliable and opportunistic.

The ending however is somewhat rushed and I think adding an epiloque to the story might be a good idea. Also, I missed Don Altobello as Connie's godfather and the family's oldest friend.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #659901
08/13/12 08:27 AM
08/13/12 08:27 AM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

I've had the book sitting on my coffee table for months now, and I haven't even opened it yet. Some day. lol

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Just Lou] #659902
08/13/12 08:41 AM
08/13/12 08:41 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Don't laugh, JL, same here. blush

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #659914
08/13/12 11:01 AM
08/13/12 11:01 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
What keeps you guys from reading it? Too busy with other stuff, or just not really eager to read it?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #659918
08/13/12 11:05 AM
08/13/12 11:05 AM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

What keeps you guys from reading it? Too busy with other stuff, or just not really eager to read it?

Mainly because I'm just not a big book reader, but I still have memories of trying to get through Winegardner's books.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Just Lou] #659919
08/13/12 11:15 AM
08/13/12 11:15 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

Mainly because I'm just not a big book reader, but I still have memories of trying to get through Winegardner's books.

That's understandable. And I'm also not a big book reader.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #661575
08/22/12 04:40 PM
08/22/12 04:40 PM
Georgia, USA
D
Button
D
Button
Georgia, USA
Try doing the audiobook. its a great listen

DonRobertoCorleone
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: DonRobertoCorleone] #663451
08/30/12 02:02 PM
08/30/12 02:02 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Now paramount is talking about making more Godfather movies. I can see a few sequels down the road where they all go to Hawaii and someone jumps the shark.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #665989
09/12/12 09:14 PM
09/12/12 09:14 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
I've been away from this forum for quite awhile, mostly because I'm working on a new novel and I've been busy with research and writing and my day job. But I wanted to let you all know that it looks like I'll be able to make some corrections for the paperback edition, which will be out next year. So I can get rid of that embarrassing anachronism in the first paragraph and fix several other minor errors, like the Feast of San Rocco, not San Genarro (Thanks, Sonny!). Some of the more complicated issues I won't be able to change because they'll only allow one or two word changes. Again, I appreciate the sincere criticism and careful attention. I'm glad some of you liked it, and apparently only one of you threw it in the fire. I can live with that. All best . . . Rich (Ed)

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666003
09/13/12 12:17 AM
09/13/12 12:17 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
I've been away from this forum for quite awhile, mostly because I'm working on a new novel and I've been busy with research and writing and my day job. But I wanted to let you all know that it looks like I'll be able to make some corrections for the paperback edition, which will be out next year. So I can get rid of that embarrassing anachronism in the first paragraph and fix several other minor errors, like the Feast of San Rocco, not San Genarro (Thanks, Sonny!). Some of the more complicated issues I won't be able to change because they'll only allow one or two word changes. Again, I appreciate the sincere criticism and careful attention. I'm glad some of you liked it, and apparently only one of you threw it in the fire. I can live with that. All best . . . Rich (Ed)

lol

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Just Lou] #666004
09/13/12 12:18 AM
09/13/12 12:18 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club

Me to I get migranes

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666143
09/14/12 12:17 PM
09/14/12 12:17 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I've been away from this forum for quite awhile, mostly because I'm working on a new novel and I've been busy with research and writing and my day job. But I wanted to let you all know that it looks like I'll be able to make some corrections for the paperback edition, which will be out next year. So I can get rid of that embarrassing anachronism in the first paragraph and fix several other minor errors, like the Feast of San Rocco, not San Genarro (Thanks, Sonny!).

No problem. One last nitpicking detail; the screenplay of Part II states that Pentangeli was approaching his sixties, so he would be in his early thirties in 1933. Anyway, good luck with your new novel!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666177
09/14/12 04:36 PM
09/14/12 04:36 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
Funny story. My sister has a baby on Wednesday. I go into the giftshop in the hospital(a mini-Indigo book store)and looking right out at me is this novel "The Family Corleone." Where have i been the last six months that i hadn't heard of this?!?!?!?

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: mr. soprano] #666181
09/14/12 05:59 PM
09/14/12 05:59 PM
G
Gudfadern Offline
Button
Gudfadern  Offline
G
Button
Originally Posted By: mr. soprano
Funny story. My sister has a baby on Wednesday. I go into the giftshop in the hospital(a mini-Indigo book store)and looking right out at me is this novel "The Family Corleone." Where have i been the last six months that i hadn't heard of this?!?!?!?

Yeah, same thing with me basically. I found out about these news last year, winter? spring?...summer? God, I don't know why I don't even remember when! I also happened to discover this website last year, but anyway a bit more shockingly in your case hah!
Of course I haven't been around but still, I think I can say there hasn't been any hype or any talk about this novel. But it might not be the same sort of hypes as with video games. I first found out about those two sequels 2 or 3 years ago described as the now infamous words 'Just Awful'. I am actually planning this year to buy 'Mario Puzo's The Godfather', the first book I'll ever buy, and the only and first book I ever have wanted to own, and I wanna to do so in a few days.
Today, just an hour ago I discovered some very exciting news for me, January next year 'The Family Corleone' will be released to my language!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666189
09/14/12 08:19 PM
09/14/12 08:19 PM
G
Gudfadern Offline
Button
Gudfadern  Offline
G
Button
So to me this is something very big. This is bigger than the sequels! - I mean the books. What were really peoples feelings when they found out about this? I personally couldn't believe what I read when I discovered the news. I just hope there aren't any major things that I really dislike.

What do you really think about this?

Do you think this is much like how Mario would have written it?

Last edited by Gudfadern; 09/20/12 10:07 PM.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #666936
09/20/12 03:36 PM
09/20/12 03:36 PM
A
Appolla Offline
Wiseguy
Appolla  Offline
A
Wiseguy
ok I am about finishing this book.I do not generally like people living off from other people's creativity (which often the most difficult to have) but after I read here that it is not bad I gave it a try. I actually enjoyed the book at first a lot then a little bit less, but it passed the test- I read it through.

First of all I think it is better written book than the original stylistically and it is more consistent. The Puzo novel seemed sort of rushed as it had consistency problems and it had parts that were cleverly cut out from the movie that I would never want to read again(apart from the ones I read over and over of course).

The deepth of the story seems to be enough for a 100 pages, but I can accept the added 300 because the story is flowing nicely. Some places the book is more interesting than others, I have to admit that I am not chewing just swallowing when I read so I left out the parts which were not interesting to me skimming them through maybe.(I have to say I could not do this with the original even I read the disturbing parts first)
This happened more often in the second part of the book- I liked the beginning much much more. The last few pages just rush through the war, we do not get much out of it.

I liked the Luka story- it actually made more sense than in the original. I liked the story how Sonny became part of the organization and how he made his bones (although I thought he would have a bigger role in the war after the shooting). I did not care about the Sandra story line at all. It was clear where it was heading. For a while I thought she was Theresa and will end up with Tom but I realized my mistake in the middle of the book and lost interest. I guess I just wanted a less straightforward story with that perhaps.

I really did not like (whether it was Puzo's idea or not)that (spoiler) Vito got Tom's father killed, although I can see that the book needed this dramatic effect. However the story gave Vito's character a different angle(motivation), the position of Tom in the family changed (in my opinion it made his loyalty vulnerable. actually a lot of people knew about the murder, who could tell Tom BUT in my opinion to get to understand Tom we need his relationship with Vito& family to be very pure), it gave Sonny's character a different angle- all to the worse.

Last edited by Appolla; 09/20/12 04:58 PM.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Appolla] #671639
10/23/12 04:41 PM
10/23/12 04:41 PM
G
Gudfadern Offline
Button
Gudfadern  Offline
G
Button
Originally Posted By: Appolla

I really did not like (whether it was Puzo's idea or not)that (spoiler) Vito got Tom's father killed, although I can see that the book needed this dramatic effect. However the story gave Vito's character a different angle(motivation), the position of Tom in the family changed (in my opinion it made his loyalty vulnerable. actually a lot of people knew about the murder, who could tell Tom BUT in my opinion to get to understand Tom we need his relationship with Vito& family to be very pure), it gave Sonny's character a different angle- all to the worse.

I'm actually glad I heard this before I read it. I really don't like what I hear either.
What exactly is Puzos words? Did Falco simply finish what had been started?

We all might perceive the characters in our own ways. And even the books and films but I don't like it, and I to me it's also even out of character.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #673211
10/31/12 03:18 AM
10/31/12 03:18 AM
A
Appolla Offline
Wiseguy
Appolla  Offline
A
Wiseguy
Well, the book is supposed to be based on a screenplay by Puzo. I am not sure whether the Tom's father thing was in it or not we may never know. In the original novel it is definitely another murder that Sonny observes.

I read the book a couple of more times after the first skimming and I think I appreciate the end a bit more.(although I almost screamed from the forced symbolism of the oranges which, poor things got to the set of the movie to bring some color into the darkness). One more thing that I sort of did not like was Carmela. I think both Puzo and Coppola drew strong women in very different ways. But in this novel her character was reduced to telling people periodically to pray and to cooking. Her religiosity had a different(and actual) role in the original novel.

Oh well, do no get discouraged from reading it though. As you can see I read it in a couple of times in the two weeks it was with me... It was definitely entertaining even if I do not accept some things in the back stories.

Last edited by Appolla; 10/31/12 03:20 AM.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #699397
02/24/13 09:21 PM
02/24/13 09:21 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
I'm on the second half of the book, Book Two. And I've enjoyed it from the start.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SinatraClub] #712252
04/23/13 08:24 AM
04/23/13 08:24 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
I'm thinking of getting this. But I do find the thought of someone other than Puzo writing his characters a bit cheap. But as it looks to have come from a Puzo source I'll get it.

I just wish it featured characters only whom we know from the films and no-one else.

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #712481
04/24/13 01:51 PM
04/24/13 01:51 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Vito killed Hagen's father? That's a stretch.

Carmela was a classic wife of her times and ethnicity. My guess is she weilded more power than she let on. There were good scenes in GF and GFII where she would put her foot down and tell people not to interfere, or tell Connie to go see her children. I am sure when she was raising them all Vito backed her up 100%

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #723903
07/03/13 09:45 AM
07/03/13 09:45 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
RichCerto (Ed), I'm not sure if you still read here, but I'm wondering who this Carmine Barzini was you mention only once in your novel? I suppose this character was a relative of Emilio?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #739892
09/14/13 04:56 PM
09/14/13 04:56 PM
Luna Offline
Associate
Luna  Offline
Associate
I am new to the boards and this is my first post. So I hope this is the correct place to post this question. I apologize in advance if I have done it in the incorrect location. I am interested in reading the book "The Family Corleone" and would very much appreciate any comments or opinions on it. I have been enjoying my time here as a visitor and am so very impressed with the insight of many of the members here. As a true Godfather fan I look forward to my time here as a member. Thank you in advance for any comments on the book.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #756007
12/28/13 05:32 PM
12/28/13 05:32 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
I'm nearing the end chapter of this, I'm at the beginning of the chapter after the Parade massacre. Needless to say, I like parts of the book, certain parts, as mentioned like, the whole Sandra & Sonny storyline are real bores. While others like the Luca Brasi portions and Sonny's childhood relationship with some of the irish fracturing after the massacre were really good, IMO. I'll have more thoughts after I finish the book, I got it in a pdf format on my computer and took a break for a couple months, I'll get back into it eventually.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #756041
12/28/13 07:43 PM
12/28/13 07:43 PM
Marcello99 Offline
BANNED
Marcello99  Offline
BANNED
Wiseguy
That book was horrible. There were tons or errors and the guy picked to write the book only received the contract because he's related to Edie Falco.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #784612
06/18/14 08:17 PM
06/18/14 08:17 PM
A treehouse w hamburgers
Hamilton Offline
Made Member
Hamilton  Offline
Made Member
A treehouse w hamburgers

How could you not love Carmela/ Nurse Jackie

"Asking us questions...harass and arrest us ..saying we eat pieces of shiet like u for breakfast ...Huh ya'll eat pieces of shiet..? whats the basis we ain't going no where.. we got suits n cases.. trunk full of coke rental car from avis only now clemente can save us,, I told said solly I acted da fool I'll be gone till November I got bodies too move....
I put pebbles on my hood like Danny Greene here comes the crab n his queen yes barbara actin da fool mess with a pyscho u kno its time to move.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #819096
12/16/14 10:02 AM
12/16/14 10:02 AM
newcastle upon tyne uk
djdt77 Offline
Wiseguy
djdt77  Offline
Wiseguy
newcastle upon tyne uk
I thought the book was really good,i enjoyed the parts on Luca and getting to know the other crime families more, i would love to see more books like this in the future

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #819196
12/16/14 03:52 PM
12/16/14 03:52 PM
P
phillyloves Offline
Wiseguy
phillyloves  Offline
P
Wiseguy
I just ordered this book from Amazon looking forward to reading it

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull