GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,142
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
The Family Corleone #639309
03/10/12 07:02 PM
03/10/12 07:02 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Here's an NPR interview with Ed Falco, author of The Family Corleone, the prequel to The Godfather. The novel is due out May 8 from Grand Central, but Paramount has filed a lawsuit trying to prevent it from being published. Paramount may be angling for a good deal on film rights, but no one knows for sure what's going on.

http://withgoodreasonradio.org/2012/03/the-offer-he-couldnt-refuse/

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645008
04/25/12 12:37 AM
04/25/12 12:37 AM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Entertainment Weekly has the book trailer:
http://bit.ly/Is5tb0

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645297
04/28/12 02:47 AM
04/28/12 02:47 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Thanks for that!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645356
04/28/12 09:45 PM
04/28/12 09:45 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
i wonder if they will introduce new characters. I know people dont like the other godfather novels but i actually liked seeing other mobsters besides the immediate corleones

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: JCrusher] #645379
04/29/12 12:16 AM
04/29/12 12:16 AM
C
Crazy_Joe_Gallo Offline
Made Member
Crazy_Joe_Gallo  Offline
C
Made Member
Is the story set ONLY in 1933? I want to see side characters like Frank Pentangelli and Willi Cicci and Genco. And I hope it isn't a "Sonny-centric" story. I don't want to see Sonny's rise, I want to see Vito at the peak of his powers and ruthlessnss, in between his rise (as shown in GF II) and his middle age (as seen in GF I).

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Crazy_Joe_Gallo] #645798
05/02/12 02:14 PM
05/02/12 02:14 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
It's set 1933-1934 mostly. Frankie Pentangelli and Genco are both part of the story, as are Clemenza, Tessio, Luca Brasi, The Rosato brother, The Barzinis, and lots of other characters from the original books and movies--and then there's a whole other crew of Irish gangsters that are part of the story, too. Vito's there, too. One of the early reviews said the depiction of Vito was especially good.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645800
05/02/12 02:32 PM
05/02/12 02:32 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
It's coming out within days is it not?

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #645858
05/02/12 08:02 PM
05/02/12 08:02 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
I got my hands on an advance review copy, but the actual book is supposed to be in stores on Tuesday, May 8th.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645859
05/02/12 08:04 PM
05/02/12 08:04 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Here's the web page:

http://www.familycorleone.com/

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645924
05/03/12 09:35 AM
05/03/12 09:35 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Seems like they're doing a lot of marketing.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645978
05/03/12 02:40 PM
05/03/12 02:40 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
The book is definitely getting notice:

http://usat.ly/IGBACB

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #645994
05/03/12 04:20 PM
05/03/12 04:20 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: RichCerto
It's set 1933-1934 mostly. Frankie Pentangelli and Genco are both part of the story, as are Clemenza, Tessio, Luca Brasi, The Rosato brother, The Barzinis, and lots of other characters from the original books and movies--and then there's a whole other crew of Irish gangsters that are part of the story, too. Vito's there, too. One of the early reviews said the depiction of Vito was especially good.

Thanks for the info. Do they introduce or expand on any corleone mobsters

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646025
05/03/12 09:56 PM
05/03/12 09:56 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
In the Corleone family, there's Richie Gatto who's important. He's Paulie Gatto's father. Then Luca Brasi, before he joins the Corleone family has a whole gang of his own, like five characters. Tessio has guys working under him who aren't in the movie or book, and so does Clemenza. Frankie Pentangeli has guys with him, too. Then there are the other families and the Irish, so it's a pretty big cast of characters. Part of the story in the first section is how Luca Brasi comes to be so loyal to Vito. And Santino . . . Well, I don't want to give away anything in the book, but, yes, there are more Corleone family characters.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646028
05/03/12 10:24 PM
05/03/12 10:24 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
In the Corleone family, there's Richie Gatto who's important. He's Paulie Gatto's father. Then Luca Brasi, before he joins the Corleone family has a whole gang of his own, like five characters. Tessio has guys working under him who aren't in the movie or book, and so does Clemenza. Frankie Pentangeli has guys with him, too. Then there are the other families and the Irish, so it's a pretty big cast of characters. Part of the story in the first section is how Luca Brasi comes to be so loyal to Vito. And Santino . . . Well, I don't want to give away anything in the book, but, yes, there are more Corleone family characters.

Sounds cool

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: JCrusher] #646071
05/04/12 11:32 AM
05/04/12 11:32 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I think Falco constantly mentioning that he's Edie Falco's uncle is kind of shameless and tacky. He's definitely trying to too hard to capitalize on Sopranos' fans there. But I'm going to try to read the book with an open mind.

Here's the first chapter from Publisher's Weekly:

First Look: The Family Corleone by Ed Falco

Chapter One from the new Godfather prequel
By Ed Falco

A new Godfather book hits this week, and we've got the first chapter. Working from a Mario Puzo screenplay, novelist Ed Falco (uncle of Edie Falco, a.k.a. Carmela Soprano) goes back to 1933 New York for The Family Corleone, where a 17-year-old Sonny Corleone is just starting to learn the family business.

Fall 1933

Giuseppe Mariposa waited at the window with his hands on his hips and his eyes on the Empire State Building. To see the top of the building, the needlelike antenna piercing a pale blue sky, he leaned into the window frame and pressed his face against the glass. He had watched the building go up from the ground, and he liked to tell the boys how he’d been one of the last men to have dinner at the old Waldorf-Astoria, that magnificent hotel that once stood where the world’s tallest building now loomed. He stepped back from the window and brushed dust from his suit jacket.

Below him, on the street, a big man in work clothes sat atop a junk cart traveling lazily toward the corner. He carried a black derby riding on his knee as he jangled a set of worn leather reins over the flank of a swayback horse. Giuseppe watched the wagon roll by. When it turned the corner, he took his hat from the window ledge, held it to his heart, and looked at his reflection in a pane of glass. His hair was white now, but still thick and full, and he brushed it back with the palm of his hand. He adjusted the knot and straightened his tie where it had bunched up slightly as it dis­appeared into his vest. In a shadowy corner of the empty apartment behind him, Jake LaConti tried to speak, but all Giuseppe heard was a guttural mumbling. When he turned around, Tomasino came through the apartment door and lumbered into the room carrying a brown paper bag. His hair was unkempt as always, though Giuseppe had told him a hundred times to keep it combed—and he needed a shave, as always. Everything about Tomasino was messy. Giuseppe fixed him with a look of contempt that Tomasino, as usual, didn’t notice. His tie was loose, his shirt collar unbuttoned, and there was blood on his wrinkled jacket. Tufts of curly black hair stuck out from his open collar.

“He say anything?” Tomasino pulled a bottle of scotch out of the paper bag, unscrewed the cap, and took a swig.

Giuseppe looked at his wristwatch. It was eight thirty in the morning. “Does he look like he can say anything, Tommy?” Jake’s face was battered. His jaw dangled toward his chest.

Tomasino said, “I didn’t mean to break his jaw.”

“Give him a drink,” Giuseppe said. “See if that helps.”

Jake was sprawled out with his torso propped up against the wall and his legs twisted under him. Tommy had pulled him out of his hotel room at six in the morning, and he still had on the black-and­white-striped silk pajamas he had worn to bed the night before, only now the top two buttons had been ripped away to reveal the mus­cular chest of a man in his thirties, about half Giuseppe’s age. As Tommy knelt to Jake and lifted him slightly, positioning his head so that he could pour scotch down his throat, Giuseppe watched with interest and waited to see if the liquor would help. He had sent Tommy down to the car for the scotch after Jake had passed out. The kid coughed, sending a spattering of blood down his chest. He squinted through swollen eyes and said something that would have been impossible to make out had he not been saying the same three words over and over throughout the beating. “He’s my father,” he said, though it came out as ’E mah fad’.

“Yeah, we know.” Tommy looked to Giuseppe. “You got to give it to him,” he said. “The kid’s loyal.”

Giuseppe knelt beside Tomasino. “Jake,” he said. “Giacomo. I’ll find him anyway.” He pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and
used it to keep his hands from getting bloody as he turned the kid’s face to look at him. “Your old man,” he said, “Rosario’s day has come. There’s nothing you can do. Rosario, his day is over. You understand me, Jake?”

“Sì,” Giacomo said, the single syllable coming out clearly.

“Good,” Giuseppe said. “Where is he? Where’s the son of a bitch hiding?”

Giacomo tried to move his right arm, which was broken, and groaned at the pain.

Tommy yelled, “Tell us where he is, Jake! What the hell’s wrong with you!”

Giacomo tried to open his eyes, as if straining to see who was yelling at him. “ ’E mah fad’,” he said.

“Che cazzo!” Giuseppe threw up his hands. He watched Jake and listened to his strained breathing. The shouts of children playing came up loud from the street and then faded. He looked to Tomasino before he exited the apartment. In the hall, he waited at the door until he heard the muffled report of a silencer, a sound like a ham­mer striking wood. When Tommy joined him, Giuseppe said, “Are you sure you finished him?” He put on his hat and fixed it the way he liked, with the brim down.

“What do you think, Joe?” Tommy asked. “I don’t know what I’m doing?” When Giuseppe didn’t answer, he rolled his eyes. “The top of his head’s gone. His brains are all over the floor.”

At the stairwell, atop the single flight of steps down to the street, Giuseppe stopped and said, “He wouldn’t betray his father. You gotta respect him for that.”

“He was tough,” Tommy said. “I still think you should’ve let me work on his teeth. I’m telling you, ain’t nobody won’t talk after a little of that.”

Giuseppe shrugged, admitting Tommy might have been right. “There’s still the other son,” he said. “We making any progress on that?”

“Not yet,” Tommy said. “Could be he’s hiding out with Rosario.”

Giuseppe considered Rosario’s other son for a heartbeat before his thoughts shifted back to Jake LaConti and how the kid couldn’t be beaten into betraying his father. “You know what?” he said to Toma­sino. “Call the mother and tell her where to find him.” He paused, thinking, and added, “They’ll get a good undertaker, they’ll fix him up nice, they can have a big funeral.”

Tommy said, “I don’t know about fixing him up, Joe.”

“What’s the name of the undertaker did such a good job on O’Banion?” Giuseppe asked.

“Yeah, I know the guy you mean.”

“Get him,” Giuseppe said, and he tapped Tommy on the chest. “I’ll take care of it myself, out of my own pocket. The family don’t have to know. Tell him to offer them his services for free, he’s a friend of Jake’s, and so on. We can do that, right?”

“Sure,” Tommy said. “That’s good of you, Joe.” He patted Giuseppe’s arm.

“All right,” Giuseppe said. “So that’s that,” and he started down the stairs, taking the steps two at a time, like a kid.

From The Family Corleone by Ed Falco, Copyright (c) 2012 by Ed Falco. Reprinted courtesy of Grand Central Publishing.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-to...y-corleone.html

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #646130
05/04/12 10:54 PM
05/04/12 10:54 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Falco's written like a dozen books and plays before this one, dating back before Edie Falco got famous. I bet anything he doesn't like always being identified in publicity as "Edie Falco's uncle." I know I wouldn't like it. But she's famous and I'm sure he can't tell Publisher's Weekly or anyone else not to always mention her.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646193
05/05/12 01:14 PM
05/05/12 01:14 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Bobby Cannavale sounds like Marlon Brando. (Click on Audio and Video)

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/books_9780446574624.htm

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646197
05/05/12 01:23 PM
05/05/12 01:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Falco's written like a dozen books and plays before this one, dating back before Edie Falco got famous. I bet anything he doesn't like always being identified in publicity as "Edie Falco's uncle." I know I wouldn't like it. But she's famous and I'm sure he can't tell Publisher's Weekly or anyone else not to always mention her.

Whatever you say, Ed, er, Rich tongue grin.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #646198
05/05/12 01:34 PM
05/05/12 01:34 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Whatever you say, Ed, er, Rich tongue grin.

Rich, pay no attention to that rude gavone, pizzaboy.

Errr, could you get me your niece's, Edie, autograph? blush

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #646199
05/05/12 01:40 PM
05/05/12 01:40 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SC
Errr, could you get me your niece's, Edie, autograph? blush

lol

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646210
05/05/12 03:30 PM
05/05/12 03:30 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
That was fast! Okay, so busted, and quickly. Full confession: I've been following you guys for a long time. Nobody but nobody knows more about The Godfather than some of you who post here. I was kind of hoping I could covertly overhear what your responses were to the novel, but clearly I blew it. Anyway, let me just say one thing: I seriously don't like always being identified as Edie's uncle, but Edie's a sweetheart and a wonderful human being and there's nothing either she or I can do about it. And one more thing: thanks for all the depth and detail in your knowledge of everything Godfather. You've been a great resource. I've gotten to kind of like Rich Certo. Think I'll keep it as an alias.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646211
05/05/12 03:36 PM
05/05/12 03:36 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
That was fast! Okay, so busted, and quickly. Full confession: I've been following you guys for a long time. Nobody but nobody knows more about The Godfather than some of you who post here. I was kind of hoping I could covertly overhear what your responses were to the novel, but clearly I blew it. Anyway, let me just say one thing: I seriously don't like always being identified as Edie's uncle, but Edie's a sweetheart and a wonderful human being and there's nothing either she or I can do about it. And one more thing: thanks for all the depth and detail in your knowledge of everything Godfather. You've been a great resource. I've gotten to kind of like Rich Certo. Think I'll keep it as an alias.

Full disclosure: Now that you've "come clean," I think I'll be able to read the book with a much more open mind. I was honestly trying to bait you into admitting that you were Falco. I'm glad I was right.

But be forewarned: If the book isn't any good, we're going to let you know about it. We were absolute murder on Winegardner. He still gets the occasional bomb threat from some of us whistle.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646212
05/05/12 03:58 PM
05/05/12 03:58 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Trust me, I have no doubt that you'll express your opinions clearly. If you don't like it, I won't be defending it. I did the research, wrote the book, and now it's out of my hands. I just get to wait and see what everybody thinks. Really, I know, I should have just lurked and listened, but, what can I say, I got into it. I'll probably be quiet from here on. But I will definitely be listening.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646218
05/05/12 05:19 PM
05/05/12 05:19 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Trust me, I have no doubt that you'll express your opinions clearly. If you don't like it, I won't be defending it. I did the research, wrote the book, and now it's out of my hands.

You're opening yourself to some heartache. Some of our members will go over the book with a magnifying glass. Some will split hairs and go into minute detail.

OK, to start, with the book's first paragraph:
Originally Posted By: Ed Falco

Fall 1933

Giuseppe Mariposa waited at the window with his hands on his hips and his eyes on the Empire State Building. To see the top of the building, the needlelike antenna piercing a pale blue sky, he leaned into the window frame and pressed his face against the glass.

The needle-like antenna was not in place at the top of the Empire State Bldg in 1933. That came later (trust a "King Kong" fan to know this).

OK.... OK... cheap shot; I'm just being a smartass.

I'm looking forward to reading this, and I wish you good luck with it.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #646219
05/05/12 05:34 PM
05/05/12 05:34 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Having an error in your opening paragraph, requires that every member receive a free autographed poster of Edie Falco not as Carmela Soprano but Nurse Jackie!

Originally Posted By: SC
Trust me, I have no doubt that you'll express your opinions clearly. If you don't like it, I won't be defending it. I did the research, wrote the book, and now it's out of my hands.

You're opening yourself to some heartache. Some of our members will go over the book with a magnifying glass. Some will split hairs and go into minute detail.

OK, to start, with the book's first paragraph:
Originally Posted By: Ed Falco

Fall 1933

Giuseppe Mariposa waited at the window with his hands on his hips and his eyes on the Empire State Building. To see the top of the building, the needlelike antenna piercing a pale blue sky, he leaned into the window frame and pressed his face against the glass.

The needle-like antenna was not in place at the top of the Empire State Bldg in 1933. That came later (trust a "King Kong" fan to know this).

OK.... OK... cheap shot; I'm just being a smartass.

I'm looking forward to reading this, and I wish you good luck with it.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646231
05/05/12 07:25 PM
05/05/12 07:25 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

Okay, first question: is this Giuseppe Mariposa the main antagonist of the novel? And if so, why did you change the name?

Nevermind, I see that you already answered this question in the other topic. I assumed you were just one of those marketing guys. wink

Last edited by Sonny_Black; 05/05/12 07:35 PM.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646232
05/05/12 07:29 PM
05/05/12 07:29 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Richard do you mind if I call you DICK

You've been a great resource. I've gotten to kind of like Rich Certo. Think I'll keep it as an alias. [/quote]

\

Genovese Family."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: SC] #646234
05/05/12 07:57 PM
05/05/12 07:57 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Yeah, I realized the the antennae error soon after the book went to print and there was nothing to do about it. It's the kind of thing you hope a copy editor will catch. King Kong fans everywhere will notice. There are three or four errors like that that I've found since the book went to print. All minor, thankfully. I'm sure you guys will find more. Whenever you're writing a period piece, you do your best to get the details right, then hope your editors will catch what you miss, then keep your fingers crossed. All in all, I hope I got the period details right.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #646235
05/05/12 08:00 PM
05/05/12 08:00 PM
R
RichCerto Offline OP
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline OP
R
Wiseguy
Sonny: I think I may soon wish I was one of those marketing guys. I'm a fan of your posts, by the way.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #646243
05/06/12 02:12 AM
05/06/12 02:12 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
I'm crying laughing at this thread. The book will be successful no need to go see Dr. Melfi. There's so much mob bolshit in the news the past year the audience has grown tremendously for Italian-American Organized Crime.

Sonny: I think I may soon wish I was one of those marketing guys. I'm a fan of your posts, by the way.

Genovese Family."
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull