GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (mustachepete, Irishman12, 2 invisible), 150 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,352
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,728
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,829
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
Tech Thread #639129
03/09/12 03:58 PM
03/09/12 03:58 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Online shocked OP
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Online Shocked OP
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
In all my time here I haven't seen or heard too many technology discussions. I'm not too tech savvy myself, but I dare say some of you are. As such, I decided to create this thread for more technology discussion. Don't just limit yourself to PC's but tablets, cellphones, etc. are welcome. I'll get started:

I'm currently using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. I've been using this browser for a number of years now but I've read some good things about Google Chrome. Anybody ever use both or just using Chrome? Would enjoy some feedback if possible please. I gave up on Internet Explorer years ago.

Also, as my antivirus I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. Now, I'm like you. Right, a free antivirus, how good could it be? Well, the past 2 years I was using BitDefender. The 2010 version was good but 2011's was bad and I still got a virus downloading music. However, my friend who fixed it told me he uses Microsoft Security Essentials and since then, I've used it with NO problems. What I love about it, or it at least makes me feel good, is the fact that almost everytime I hit update, it actually DOES. Towards the end of my old computer, I'd hit the update button (using BitDefender 2011) and it never updated. It would say things were up-to-date but I didn't buy it. I even tried to install AVG antivirus as a suggestion from another friend and it would never load onto the system (probably the virus forbidding it). Anybody else using Microsoft Security Essentials and can vouch for it or using another type of program?

Happy discussions!

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639133
03/09/12 04:58 PM
03/09/12 04:58 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Irish, I use IE8 (although Geoff condemns it). I use Defender. I also use Malaware Bits By IOBIT and Avast. I tried by others such as AVG and Norton, but they are either top-heavy or they are not compatible with other protection software.

By the way, do you download from CNET?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639152
03/09/12 07:28 PM
03/09/12 07:28 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Oli's right, I detest Internet Explorer. The risks of using it out way any benefits (and, frankly, there are no benefits). tongue

I did use Firefox for a while, but even that became a bit heavy. I still use it, though, for some more technical tasks when I have to work with source code. I LOVE Chrome, and it's my everyday browser. It's slim, sleek, and fast. It can take up a lot of hard drive space, though, as it caches -- one of the reasons why it's so fast.

However, I'm not sure if it's a Chrome problem or something else, but my Flash crashes on me too often -- it could be the Facebook game I play (that's when it happens mostly), but I'm not sure.

For years I paid for McAfee (because it was the only thing at the time that cured a serious virus I had). But it's very bloated and slows everything down. Norton is even worse. Like I12, I've been using MS Essentials and love it (go figure, a M$ program I like!). It doesn't slow anything down, and I have yet to run into a problem. I also run Spybot Search & Destroy in the background to prevent malware. It's also recommended.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Tech Thread [Re: olivant] #639155
03/09/12 07:51 PM
03/09/12 07:51 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: olivant
Irish, I use IE8 (although Geoff condemns it). I use Defender. I also use Malaware Bits By IOBIT and Avast. I tried by others such as AVG and Norton, but they are either top-heavy or they are not compatible with other protection software.

By the way, do you download from CNET?

I used to use Malware Bytes too and it's a pretty good program. I can vouch for it. I don't use it anymore. Like I said, I strictly just use Microsoft Security Essentials. How do you like Internet Explorer 8? I know they've fixed it up in years. It used to be bad which is why people changed browsers to Firefox and such. I still don't use it a lot unless I'm at work because that's all we have.

And yes, sometimes I download from CNET. If not from there, I use File Hippo.

Re: Tech Thread [Re: J Geoff] #639157
03/09/12 07:54 PM
03/09/12 07:54 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Like I12, I've been using MS Essentials and love it (go figure, a M$ program I like!). It doesn't slow anything down, and I have yet to run into a problem. I also run Spybot Search & Destroy in the background to prevent malware. It's also recommended.

Would you recommend a program like Spybot or Malware Bytes in addition to Microsoft Security Essentials or MS Essentials is enough on it's own?

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639172
03/09/12 09:46 PM
03/09/12 09:46 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Recently I dumped Verizon DSL for Comcast Internet. Its much faster, but I need a wireless router because of the way my house is wired and where my computer is. So, I bought a Cisco-Linksys wireless router - nothing fancy, E1200. What a piece of shit. After two weeks it lost power. It came with no SSID or password and their tech support could get me hooked up. The unit worked, but unsecured. When the power died I sent it back - cost me $10 to mail. The second unit - same thing - no SSID, no password, no security - after 10 days I lost connection. SOOOO, I went to Staples and bought a Netgear router. 10 minutes, up and working, secure, no problem. I wrote to Cisco, one week, no response. DON'T buy Cisco, Linksys.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Tech Thread [Re: MaryCas] #639180
03/09/12 10:57 PM
03/09/12 10:57 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I got introduced to computers at work in 1979, well before personal computers. The company techies hooked me up to their UNIX hosts (DEC PDP-11's), which I accessed via a 1200 baud modem on my desktop. I also wanted computing at home, so I got a Texas Instruments Silent 700 portable data terminal, which looked like a portable typewriter with "earmuffs" into which you inserted the handset from a phone. After that, I got the company to hook my home to a private local area network that improved my access speed--but all the terminals I used were dumb ones.

I worked as an executive speechwriter and I was wild for high availability computing because my clients didn't want to hear that the computer was down. I had logins on four physically separate mainframes, and when I finished a draft, I'd move it to each of the computers, character by character, as backups. I also had an incredible array of spare modems, terminals, printers and other equipment to cover me. Once, when I was writing a Congressional testimony for our CEO, I had DEC put a technician on 24-hour standby to bring up my mainframe in case of trouble. I had him come in at 3 a.m. twice to bring the mainframe up.

We got our first PCs in '87, and that's when I gave up all the mainframes. I could copy all of my work to floppy discs and bring them with me. If my PC failed, there were hundreds of others at work that I could use.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Tech Thread [Re: Turnbull] #639187
03/09/12 11:57 PM
03/09/12 11:57 PM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
Today a cell phone has more computer power than all of NASA did in 1969 when it sent astronauts to the moon.

The Sony Playstation of today, which costs $300, has the power of a military supercomputer of 1997, which cost millions of dollars.

I love technology.

You talkin' to me?
Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639201
03/10/12 12:57 AM
03/10/12 12:57 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Irishman12
[quote=J Geoff]Would you recommend a program like Spybot or Malware Bytes in addition to Microsoft Security Essentials or MS Essentials is enough on it's own?

As I said, I run both... don't know for sure if it's overkill or not, but, I've never had any problems or slowdowns from those 2 I mentioned...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Tech Thread [Re: MaryCas] #639202
03/10/12 12:59 AM
03/10/12 12:59 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Recently I dumped Verizon DSL for Comcast Internet.

Didn't you work for FiOS?? I guess they don't have it down there in the sea grass yet whistle

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Blake] #639204
03/10/12 01:01 AM
03/10/12 01:01 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Blake Peters
The Sony Playstation of today, which costs $300, has the power of a military supercomputer of 1997, which cost millions of dollars.

I love technology.

And next week, you can get an iPad 3 with more power than an XBOX 360... gotta love it! wink

Re: Tech Thread [Re: J Geoff] #639212
03/10/12 01:26 AM
03/10/12 01:26 AM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey

For years I paid for McAfee (because it was the only thing at the time that cured a serious virus I had). But it's very bloated and slows everything down. Norton is even worse.

FWIW, Norton has undergone a complete transformations the last 2 versions or so. Not only is not bloated anymore, it installs in literally under 30 seconds, and doesn't use any noticeable system resources. It is the complete opposite of McAfee and the Norton products of a few years ago.

I run Norton on my main desktop, Free Avast on my 2 notebooks, and MS Security Essentials on my old Windows XP desktop. I used to use Kaspersky on most of my systems, but the program has become bloated and buggy the last few years.

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639214
03/10/12 02:18 AM
03/10/12 02:18 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Good to hear (tho only like a year ago Norton was still a bloated whale)... but until I run into a problem, I'm sticking with MS Security Essentials + S&D...

Re: Tech Thread [Re: MaryCas] #639231
03/10/12 09:32 AM
03/10/12 09:32 AM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Recently I dumped Verizon DSL for Comcast Internet. Its much faster, but I need a wireless router because of the way my house is wired and where my computer is. So, I bought a Cisco-Linksys wireless router - nothing fancy, E1200. What a piece of shit. After two weeks it lost power. It came with no SSID or password and their tech support could get me hooked up. The unit worked, but unsecured. When the power died I sent it back - cost me $10 to mail. The second unit - same thing - no SSID, no password, no security - after 10 days I lost connection. SOOOO, I went to Staples and bought a Netgear router. 10 minutes, up and working, secure, no problem. I wrote to Cisco, one week, no response. DON'T buy Cisco, Linksys.

I recently had to replace my Linksys router too. However, it was about 5+ years old so I'd say we got our money's worth. Never really had any problem with it too much. I've got a Belkin now and it seems to be doing the job. My problem hasn't been so much with the router but with stupid Time Warner Cables cheap equipment that breaks down every 6 months or so (sooner sometimes). I'm talking modems, DVRs, etc.

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639259
03/10/12 12:41 PM
03/10/12 12:41 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
My favorite current hi-tech gadget is the Hauppauge Personal Video Recorder. It's a little box with cables that attach to your DVR, while another goes into a USB port on your computer. After you load the software, the system enables you to copy anything stored on your DVR to your computer, and to burn a DVD in either the standard 480 format or in 720 hi-definition. Really works!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639290
03/10/12 03:01 PM
03/10/12 03:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Like I12, I've been using MS Essentials and love it (go figure, a M$ program I like!). It doesn't slow anything down, and I have yet to run into a problem. I also run Spybot Search & Destroy in the background to prevent malware. It's also recommended.

Would you recommend a program like Spybot or Malware Bytes in addition to Microsoft Security Essentials or MS Essentials is enough on it's own?

I think it's always good to have a 2nd protector. Each one has its own inventory of virus definitions many of which are the same as the other. But, some are different and additional. That way your protection is likely to be more comprehensive.

By the way, I continue to use IE8. I tried IE9, but didn't like it. I've tried Chrome and Firefox too. I guess I'm not that amenable to change; I feel okay with 8.

Re: Tech Thread [Re: J Geoff] #639299
03/10/12 05:55 PM
03/10/12 05:55 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
[quote=J Geoff]Would you recommend a program like Spybot or Malware Bytes in addition to Microsoft Security Essentials or MS Essentials is enough on it's own?

As I said, I run both... don't know for sure if it's overkill or not, but, I've never had any problems or slowdowns from those 2 I mentioned...

I took your advice and downloaded MalwareBytes. However, I've never used the Pro version. Have you? If so, how much of a difference between the Pro and free versions?

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639306
03/10/12 06:38 PM
03/10/12 06:38 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Online content
Special
mustachepete  Online Content
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Does anyone have or know much about the Boxee Box? I'm thinking about dumping cable for streaming, and they seem to claim they can deliver a lot more to your TV than other products.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639314
03/10/12 07:40 PM
03/10/12 07:40 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I took your advice and downloaded MalwareBytes. However, I've never used the Pro version. Have you? If so, how much of a difference between the Pro and free versions?

I didn't recommend Malwarebytes -- I said I used Spybot - Search & Destroy which has a TSR (always running program) to help stop threats (which MWB Pro has, I believe).

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639315
03/10/12 07:52 PM
03/10/12 07:52 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I have Avast and Malaware free versions and they do just fine.

Re: Tech Thread [Re: J Geoff] #639379
03/11/12 08:38 AM
03/11/12 08:38 AM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

I didn't recommend Malwarebytes -- I said I used Spybot - Search & Destroy which has a TSR (always running program) to help stop threats (which MWB Pro has, I believe).

I've never used Spybot. I've used MalwareBytes and I'm comfortable with it. You ever use Malware or no?

REALLY curious about something. I cleaned my desktop computer Thursday night (virus scan and all). Downloaded MalwareBytes - free version and scanned it. Found nothing. Cleaned my laptop on Friday (which is the computer I now use strictly for downloading). Found nothing as well. Downloaded MalwareBytes Pro and scanned it. Found 2 trojan viruses. That was the only reason I was asking between the free and Pro versions.

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639389
03/11/12 01:11 PM
03/11/12 01:11 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The pro version may have an expanded inventory of virus definitions. That's why I use two or three of them. Also, periodically from CNET I download another product and run it one time then uninstall it.

Re: Tech Thread [Re: olivant] #639432
03/11/12 04:54 PM
03/11/12 04:54 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I have an older laptop that I purchased maybe 4 years ago or so. I got frustrated with it because it was exceptionally slow loading anything. Before I dispose of it, I thought I'd play around with it and see if I could make it faster. It's an IBM Thinkpad and it's a Windows Vista. When I bought it they said that everything was gonna be Vista in the near future. LOL Do they even make Vista anymore? confused

I did computer scans, disk fragmented scans, got rid of unnecessary programs and eliminated many (all) start-up menu items. I too have Microsoft Security essentials, and I ran that a couple times. The start-ups, shut downs though are still sooooo slow. Thus far, it seems much better once it's up and running. I'm wondering if the slow start-up/shut-downs are a trait of Windows Vista. Anyone know?

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 03/11/12 04:56 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639448
03/11/12 07:01 PM
03/11/12 07:01 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
TIS, the same thing happened to me. I bought a friend of mine's defective laptop cheap. A buddy fixed it up and upgraded it to Windows 7 however it ran COMPLETELY too slow for me. I was just gonna buy some more memory for the computer to speed it up. However, from another friend of mine, he said it would almost be better to buy a brand new computer because for the all money I'd have to spend buying memory to make the laptop faster, it'd almost be the same amount of money. When my tax return came in, my friend who fixed my laptop shopped for the parts I would need for a brand new desktop computer. I purchased the parts myself, he assembled it and I couldn't be HAPPIER!

Re: Tech Thread [Re: J Geoff] #639467
03/11/12 09:03 PM
03/11/12 09:03 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Recently I dumped Verizon DSL for Comcast Internet.

Didn't you work for FiOS?? I guess they don't have it down there in the sea grass yet whistle

I'm still doing FiOS, but they aren't going to do Fiber to the Pine Tree where I am. In fact they recently announced that they (Verizon) are not going into any new market areas (what ever that means). Verizon is partnering with their rivals - the cable companies - to provide internet/TV. Technology and business seem to clash, become friends then morph into something new. I just want to sell snow cones on the boardwalk. rolleyes

Last edited by MaryCas; 03/11/12 09:04 PM.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Tech Thread [Re: MaryCas] #639575
03/12/12 04:29 PM
03/12/12 04:29 PM
California

California
Quick question. I lost the little Internet icon on the bottom right of my screen where, when I click on, I can see how good a connection I have and available connections, etc. How do I get it back to to stay at the bottom of the screen?

Thanks smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Tech Thread [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #639578
03/12/12 04:51 PM
03/12/12 04:51 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I lost the little Internet icon on the bottom right of my screen where, when I click on, I can see how good a connection I have and available connections, etc. How do I get it back to to stay at the bottom of the screen?

Does your START button show up on the bottom? If you lost your taskbar you might try pressing the CTRL key and the ESC key at the same time.

Re: Tech Thread [Re: SC] #639585
03/12/12 05:30 PM
03/12/12 05:30 PM
California

California
Well, I got it back. confused I had all these useless windows opening at startup (a welcome from Lenovo, a fingerprint option on system and other stuff), so I went to taskbar startup and chose to not have any of these windows open. Then I lost that icon. I went back and checked more boxes and got some crap still opening, but also got my Internet icon back. Hard to tell what is unnecessary.

TIS

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639608
03/12/12 07:40 PM
03/12/12 07:40 PM
The Villa Quatro
THE BOSS
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Yeah TIS, you just told the computer to basically run nothing when the computer boots up it sounds like. You can adjust what does and doesn't start when Windows boots up. However, some programs can be a pain the butt because when you use them once, they'll open EVERY time Windows starts even though you didn't ask them to and have to uncheck them again. It can be frustrating. What I do is basically if I know the program (like Zune, iTunes, etc) and I don't need it, I tell it not to open.

Re: Tech Thread [Re: Irishman12] #639645
03/13/12 01:38 AM
03/13/12 01:38 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
There are any number of startup managers that you can download from CNET. Try one of them.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull