GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,353
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,214
Posts1,056,171
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' #638803
03/07/12 05:51 PM
03/07/12 05:51 PM
New York
mtoppi Offline OP
Wiseguy
mtoppi  Offline OP
Wiseguy
New York
From Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/22/idUS100797172720120222

The infamous Corleone crime family has found itself in a legal jam -- but it has nothing to do with whacking anybody or leaving a horse's head in somebody's bed.

Paramount Pictures filed a lawsuit against Anthony Puzo, the executor of the estate of "The Godfather" author Mario Puzo last week, seeking to block the estate from publishing a "Godfather" sequel, "The Family Corleone," later this year.

In the papers, filed in federal court in Manhattan on Feb. 17, Paramount claims that it purchased the copyright to Puzo's classic in mobster literature in 1969, and is trying to "protect the integrity and reputation of The Godfather trilogy" by blocking the book's publication.

The studio claims in the suit that it authorized one "Godfather" sequel book, "The Godfather Returns," to be published by Random House in 2004, following Puzo's 1999 death. A second novel, "The Godfather's Revenge," was published in 2006 without Paramount's authorization, the lawsuit claims.

Paramount's lawsuit claims that "The Godfather's Revenge" "tarnished" the legacy of "The Godfather" and "in the process, also misled consumers into believing that ‘The Godfather’s Revenge’ was authorized by Paramount.

“The studio has tremendous respect and admiration for Mario Puzo, whose novel 'The Godfather' was acquired in 1969 and helped spawn one of the most celebrated film trilogies of all time," a spokeswoman from the studio told TheWrap. "We have an obligation to and will protect our copyright and trademark interests.”

Paramount is seeking damages from "The Godfather's Revenge," as well as temporary restraining order against publication of "The Family Corleone."

The studio claims that the Puzo estate is also planning to make unauthorized use of Paramount's "Godfather"-related trademarks to promote "The Family Corleone."

The Huffington Post reports that "The Family Corleone," which is expected to be released through Grand Central Publishing, will chronicle Vito Corleone's rise to power in the New York mob scene of the 1920s and '30s. Puzo reportedly outlined the story in a screenplay, which author Ed Falco -- author of the mob book "Saint John of the Five Boroughs" and, interestingly, the uncle of former "Sopranos" star Edie Falco -- is adapting for the book.

Grand Central Publishing, which is expected to publish "The Family Corleone," and Paramount Pictures have not yet responded to TheWrap's requests for comment.

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: mtoppi] #638804
03/07/12 05:56 PM
03/07/12 05:56 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
This is the book that should be published and made into a feature film. Personally I am really looking forward to this novel. BTW - welcome, mtoppi!

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: Mark] #638805
03/07/12 06:22 PM
03/07/12 06:22 PM
New York
mtoppi Offline OP
Wiseguy
mtoppi  Offline OP
Wiseguy
New York
Thanks Mark! I totally agree. This is the story that should be told. I have to wonder, though, if Paramount is protecting its' assets more so for the option of being able to produce more Godfather product themselves going forward.

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: mtoppi] #638806
03/07/12 06:24 PM
03/07/12 06:24 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Oh, yeah - it's gotta be the future earning potential, no doubt.

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: mtoppi] #638815
03/07/12 08:18 PM
03/07/12 08:18 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline
Button
45ACP  Offline
Button
Oklahoma

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: mtoppi] #646804
05/10/12 01:35 AM
05/10/12 01:35 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
If you can still find it, apparently the May 11 issue of Entertainment Weekly had a long, 2-page article about this...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: mtoppi] #647054
05/12/12 01:58 AM
05/12/12 01:58 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

‘Godfather’ Prequel Deal Made: Paramount And Puzo Estate Tell NYC Court Today
Quote:
By DOMINIC PATTEN | Friday May 11, 2012 @ 7:39pm PDT

Paramount and the estate of Mario Puzo announced in a NYC court today that they’ve made a deal to allow a new Godfather prequel. Its profits will be put in escrow while they fight over who owns the publishing rights for a book that’s already out. The Depression-era The Family Corleone hit bookstores and online retailers on Tuesday. A source tells Deadline the son of Godfather author Mario Puzo agreed to the escrow arrangement “several weeks ago”. Anthony Puzo made the decision so Paramount wouldn’t prevent the book from coming out. It’s written by Ed Falco and “based on a screenplay by Mario Puzo” it says on the cover. Things could get more complicated if, as Paramount’s lawyer Richard Kendall noted today in Manhattan court, the book does well and “there’s an attraction to do a movie.”

In February, Paramount sued the Puzo estate to stop the publication of an “unauthorized” third Godfather sequel/prequel. The studio claimed the book tarnished the legacy of the studio’s films. In March, the Puzo estate countersued, claiming that the contract between Mario and the studio distinctly excluded book rights. The countersuit also claims that Paramount is in material breach of its contract with Mario Puzo. “We’re seeking cancellation of the contract,” Puzo lawyer Bert Fields reiterated to the judge today. Both lawyers have agreed to mediation to try to settle the matter. Judge Nathan said she may hold a hearing on Paramount’s motion to dismiss the countersuit later this year. The Godfather came out as in 1969 and became an instant bestseller. On the first of three Godfather movies, Puzo shared screenwriting credit with director Francis Ford Coppola for its release by Paramount in 1972.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: mtoppi] #647075
05/12/12 12:40 PM
05/12/12 12:40 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
No suprises as you could see that coming from miles ahead.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: mtoppi] #647093
05/12/12 04:29 PM
05/12/12 04:29 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
If all the major players are happy with their terms it is a victory for us fans. As long as we get a major motion picture out of this I could not be happier. Fans are ready for some new Corleone stories on film! Bravo tutti!

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: Mark] #647096
05/12/12 05:34 PM
05/12/12 05:34 PM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
Don't know if I would be that enthusiastic if a new movie was announced. Who would you cast? Who would direct? Don't think in a million years they'd get Coppola to do it.

Compared to part I and II, it's almost certainly going to disappoint, right? Maybe it's better to just let the trilogy be.

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: mtoppi] #647104
05/12/12 06:55 PM
05/12/12 06:55 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Casting would need to go back to the original formula... relative unknowns mixed in with a couple of heavy hitters. Seriously, Chopper - you wouldn't want to see a new movie made?

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: Mark] #647105
05/12/12 07:24 PM
05/12/12 07:24 PM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
Of course, if the movie really comes, I will go see it the first night it comes out Mark wink. But, even part III was a big disappointment for me at the time. It's still a good movie, but not great like the others. And this time around, probably no Coppola, no Pacino, no Keaton etc. I don't really see how it could ever live up to its potential.

Vito's been played by two of the greatest actors of the 20th century. Who's going to play young Vito now? That's some tough casting ahead.

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: Mark] #647106
05/12/12 07:29 PM
05/12/12 07:29 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mark
Casting would need to go back to the original formula... relative unknowns mixed in with a couple of heavy hitters. Seriously, Chopper - you wouldn't want to see a new movie made?

I very much agree with you. I don't want to see a Leonardo Di Caprio in a new Godfather film. And that's not because he's a bad actor but because he's way too famous. The fact that the original film had little known actors is what made it work so well. The first two films made Al Pacino and the rest legendary. If you want another one to succeed is by building on that very same concept.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: mtoppi] #684847
12/22/12 01:11 AM
12/22/12 01:11 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

The final(?) chapter...

Paramount, Mario Puzo Estate Settle 'Godfather' Lawsuit
Quote:
1:18 PM PST 12/21/2012 by Eriq Gardner, The Hollywood Reporter

Deal comes after judge refused to allow Paramount's "Godfather" contract to be canceled.

Paramount Pictures and the Mario Puzo estate have settled a legal war over a new Mario Puzo estate. On Thursday, the parties told the court about a deal and stipulated to the dismissal of the litigation.

Mario Puzo Estate Wants To Cancel 'The Godfather' Contract with Paramount in Countersuit

Terms of the agreement have not been made public, but it resolves both a claim and counterclaim that were lodged this year in New York federal court. Both sides have agreed to bear their own legal costs.

Paramount sued first in February, alleging that it had a copyright interest in Puzo's famed novel The Godfather, and an agreement that granted "the sole and exclusive right to make and cause to be made literary and dramatic and other versions and adaptations of every kind and character."

The studio had alleged that prior "sequel novels" had tarnished the legacy over the Godfather franchise and that it was promised in writing that there would be no more literary sequels. It wanted confirmation to preclude the release of The Family Corleone, which was to detail Vito Corleone's rise to power in Depression-era New York.

In March, the Puzo estate led by attorney Bert Fields responded with its own counterclaims that alleged that Paramount's actions had meant it breached a 1967 rights agreement that purportedly expressly excluded and reserved "book publishing rights" for Puzo, who died in 1999.

As a result of the alleged breach, the Puzo estate sought to terminate Paramount's rights to The Godfather.

In May, the two sides came to an interim deal to allow The Family Corleone to come out. Money from the book was to be put aside in escrow until the parties reached a conclusion to the litigation.

Paramount scored a big win in the case in September when a federal judge in New York dismissed much of the counterclaims, finding the Puzo estate couldn't cancel the contract, nor can it make a rescission. The judge said that assuming Paramount had an obligation not to interfere with book publishing, the estate had failed to adequately establish this obligation goes to the "essence" of the 1969 agreement.

The judge allowed a breach of contract counterclaim to continue, and a trial could have clarified rights under deals made in the 1960s, but the two sides have now put the dispute to sleep.

Paramount was represented by Richard Kendall at Kendall Brill & Klieger.

Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: J Geoff] #689009
01/08/13 11:55 AM
01/08/13 11:55 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Paramount scored a big win in the case in September when a federal judge in New York dismissed much of the counterclaims, finding the Puzo estate couldn't cancel the contract, nor can it make a rescission. The judge said that assuming Paramount had an obligation not to interfere with book publishing, the estate had failed to adequately establish this obligation goes to the "essence" of the 1969 agreement.

Those writer contracts were ironclad back then. No way in hell was Paramount losing that one. But I did feel bad for Mario. Getting fleeced on the book to movie rights really stuck with him. His resentment towards both publishers and film companies was never more evident that in the book "The Last Don."

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mario Puzo Estate Sued Over 'Godfather Prequel' [Re: pizzaboy] #696793
02/15/13 06:27 AM
02/15/13 06:27 AM
Westchester
Frankie_Five_Angels Offline
Made Member
Frankie_Five_Angels  Offline
Made Member
Westchester
....just read the prequel book... definitely has potential. love the whole Sonny. Luca, Tom, and the Don angle...

"I'll give you undignified. Go fuck yourself. You, Phil... whoever. He's my fuckin' cousin."

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents"..

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull