GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 153 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,817
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,301
Posts1,058,196
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 91 1 2 3 4 5 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #649813
06/04/12 12:02 AM
06/04/12 12:02 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) - 4 out of 5

A tense, deeply engaging Cold War spy thriller (based off John le Carre's book) it plays out not in shootouts or car chases, but in tense enigmatic conversations held between middle-aged men in suits who smoke and drink way too much. (Yes they smoke. I bet that's why MPAA gave it a R rating.)

But this does work as an entertaining who-dunnit murder mystery, played out by an awesomely Anglophilic cast that it'll probably make you want to go eat spotted dick or something. Gary Oldman, Toby Jones, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong, and John Hurt. BTW, when hasn't Hurt not ever looked old at the movies? Was he born old like Benjamin Button?

Would you believe that in his long career, TTSS scored Oldman his very first Oscar acting nomination? Yeah I know, unbelievable but he earned it here. Just looking at Oldman's face as George Smiley, you don't need exposition detailing all the battles that old spy has fought over the decades and old demons bottled up inside. Controls his emotions, but when he does shall we say "lose his shit," my god you're reminded how damn good Oldman is. That's always a pleasant reminder.

Just one problem this movie has. It's a very complicated mystery, which in mind you need to keep aware of the clues being given for every character. Initially I mixed up Hardy's character with Strong, which sorta confused the shit out of me initially. As long as you keep all the pieces mentally, you'll be fine with this movie.

le Carre wrote some sequels detailing Smiley's continued shadow war with his commie counterpart in Karla. I want those movies with Oldman kicking ass by talking and smoking/drinking too much.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #652229
06/19/12 03:50 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Much like DeNiro and Pacino, Oldman doesn't get the roles he deserves nowadays. Of course, unlike them, he has yet to receive an Oscar; which shows just how much of a joke the Academy is.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #652230
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Both great movies I just watched again...

The Kingdom

No Country for Old Men

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: IvyLeague] #652232
06/19/12 03:55 AM
06/19/12 03:55 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Much like DeNiro and Pacino, Oldman doesn't get the roles he deserves nowadays. Of course, unlike them, he has yet to receive an Oscar; which shows just how much of a joke the Academy is.

If Sandra Bullock can win an Oscar...who knows maybe Rob Schenider can too...

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: IvyLeague] #652239
06/19/12 05:31 AM
06/19/12 05:31 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

I wouldn't consider them to be an apt comparison. DeNiro and Pacino were stars who were also widely respected actors, and their problem these days is that their feature film acting careers are secondary for their interests. DeNiro is busy producing movies and his Tribeca film festival and Pacino is off playing theatre. Trust me you think any filmmaker, established and new, would turn them down? Ridiculous. I think they're at the Marlon Brando stage where working movies are now a hobby, not the profession.

Oldman, as loved and admired as he is, was never a star. At best a name, but not a star. Not his fault or anybody's really I suppose, it's just boils down to luck and timing. Also he's still working the movies for a living, hell he just signed up for the ROBOCOP remake.

(What I mean by "luck and timing," look in comparison at Johnny Depp. He was following the same career trajectory, then he did that Pirates movie which made him a star. Or more recently Mark Ruffalo, a guy who previously earned two Oscar acting nominations, but Joe Public couldn't pick him out of a police line-up, much less be considered a star. Yet he was the break-out star from THE AVENGERS.)

Both great movies I just watched again...

The Kingdom

No Country for Old Men

I liked Peter Berg's THE KINGDOM too, a solidly entertaining "smart" popcorn thriller. All which doesn't describe Berg's recent BATTLESHIP.

NO COUNTRY I'll always remember for having one of the more fascinating screening crowd reactions I've been to. When that particular plot turn happens, the movie lost half the audience, and the other half were split 50/50 between those hoping for some sort of payoff and the rest were digging this.

Then when the movie suddenly cuts to black, some guy in the back yelled "That's it?!?"

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #652243
06/19/12 06:37 AM
06/19/12 06:37 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Men in Black III (2012) - ***1/2

After endless bad reports about a troubled production (which started without the script having a 3rd act and caused it to be stopped for 6 months w/ budget ballooning reportedly to $300 million) along with the fact that this was a sequel the masses weren't exactly screaming for (the last one was made a decade ago), this actually turned out to be decently entertaining.

That is if you can through the first 15-20 minutes, which start out unpromising with failed gags and jokes movie threatens to be deaf tone forgettable like the second MIB movie was. (Seeing Emma Thompson making unfunny "funny" noises was painful.) Tommy Lee Jones especially looked terrible, a woman at my screening muttered to her date that he looked like he just had a face lift. He also looked bored being in this movie, a pity really.

But once Will Smith goes back to 1969 to save young Jones, played in masterstroke casting by Josh Brolin, the movie starts working. Hell he and Smith have great chemistry, more much than Smith does w/ Jones this time around. There's still a hit/miss ratio with the jokes, but most are funny and the movie clicks like the first MEN IN BLACK did with the black comic cultural satire.

The highlight is the sequence at The Factory with Andy Warhol and all that. (I fully expected a sketch with John Lennon and Yoko Ono, with the punchline being Lennon was an alien beetle.) Some of my favorite gags were plays on the MIB technology, like the devices looked/acted like people back in '69 would consider to be futuristic. I always dig those little steampunk-esque touches when attempted.

The aliens in this one are interesting. The villain has detachable appendages which shoot darts and freely roam away from his body, with googles for eyes which give off this odd vibe. Then there's the alien who can see the future (and all possible variations), and despite one's expectations if you or me had this power, he's always cheerful and happy and obsesses too much on mundane irrelevant details. For some reason, this was a charming touch for me.

MEN IN BLACK III always had this small cloud of disposability surrounding it, but I still enjoyed. I do wonder if I saw this after drivel like BATTLESHIP and DARK SHADOWS influenced me to embrace any subsequent competent entertainment. But if a fourth MEN IN BLACK movie happens, don't bring back Jones. Have him de-age into Brolin or something.

EDIT - You all realize this is Smith's first movie in 4 years? That fact surprised me too. As much as I never cared for his rap career, I'll admit the track he did for the first MEN IN BLACK movie was memorable and catchy pop-rap. ("Men in Black/Guardians of the Galaxy...") Too bad he didn't do a track for this one since the song Pitbull did is fucking garbage. What do people see in that shithead?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #652285
06/19/12 12:11 PM
06/19/12 12:11 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
I wouldn't consider them to be an apt comparison. DeNiro and Pacino were stars who were also widely respected actors, and their problem these days is that their feature film acting careers are secondary for their interests. DeNiro is busy producing movies and his Tribeca film festival and Pacino is off playing theatre. Trust me you think any filmmaker, established and new, would turn them down? Ridiculous. I think they're at the Marlon Brando stage where working movies are now a hobby, not the profession.

Mmm...I don't know. If that were true, you'd think both DeNiro and Pacino would be more selective in the roles they've accepted over the pasts 15 years or so. As they've gotten older, I don't think they've been as appreciated as before. And so not as used by the industry.

Quote:
Oldman, as loved and admired as he is, was never a star. At best a name, but not a star. Not his fault or anybody's really I suppose, it's just boils down to luck and timing. Also he's still working the movies for a living, hell he just signed up for the ROBOCOP remake.

Of course, I don't have to say that star power should have nothing to do with whether an actor wins an Academy Award or not.

Quote:
NO COUNTRY I'll always remember for having one of the more fascinating screening crowd reactions I've been to. When that particular plot turn happens, the movie lost half the audience, and the other half were split 50/50 between those hoping for some sort of payoff and the rest were digging this.

Then when the movie suddenly cuts to black, some guy in the back yelled "That's it?!?"

The moron probably said the same thing at the end of The Grey.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #652769
06/22/12 08:36 PM
06/22/12 08:36 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Watched Sexy Beast again. One of the great British gangster movies. And one of Ben Kingsley's most famous performances. Though I actually thought Ian McShane's character (Teddy Bass) was even scarier.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: IvyLeague] #652851
06/23/12 01:16 PM
06/23/12 01:16 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
TCM is NOW airing "The Bad Seed" (1956). Any other oldster remember that one? With Patty McCormack (Actually the only movie I know of that she was in)?

The host describes Patti's character as "The cute, little blonde, pig-tailed sociopath. lol

smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 06/23/12 01:17 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #652987
06/24/12 04:12 PM
06/24/12 04:12 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Watched "Wanderlust" last night with Mrs. Mark. We laughed pretty good at that one. Paul Rudd & Jenifer Aniston were hilarious. Great escape movie if you want to laugh at a comedy that is very well thought out and not over the top.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #652998
06/24/12 05:50 PM
06/24/12 05:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
TCM is NOW airing "The Bad Seed" (1956). Any other oldster remember that one? With Patty McCormack (Actually the only movie I know of that she was in)?

The host describes Patti's character as "The cute, little blonde, pig-tailed sociopath. lol

smile

TIS

Oh, I definitely remember it. Just like Psycho and other B&Ws of that era, it exemplifies Hollywood's ability to create real suspense and mystery without resorting to technical or other tricks. That little girl was just plain scary.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #653028
06/24/12 09:18 PM
06/24/12 09:18 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Watch Hoffa again. Hadn't seen it in a long time. Hard to believe it came out 20 years ago now. As usual, fact mixed with fiction, but worth watching for Jack's performance.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: IvyLeague] #653042
06/24/12 11:20 PM
06/24/12 11:20 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Watch Hoffa again. Hadn't seen it in a long time. Hard to believe it came out 20 years ago now. As usual, fact mixed with fiction, but worth watching for Jack's performance.

I once won a radio contest on the question, "Name 2 movies that Jack Nicholson played in with Ddanny DeVito?"

It was this movie and Cuckoo's Nest.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #653424
06/27/12 05:53 PM
06/27/12 05:53 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
I watched my cousin vinny abbout an hour ago can't believe it's the first time i've seen pesci was hilarious

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Camarel] #653429
06/27/12 06:02 PM
06/27/12 06:02 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Camarel
I watched my cousin vinny abbout an hour ago can't believe it's the first time i've seen pesci was hilarious

Cam - this is one of those flicks that I always stop on when channel surfing. I agree, it is terrific!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Mark] #653432
06/27/12 06:12 PM
06/27/12 06:12 PM
California

California
Although cable shows it a lot, I usually don't watch it but the other day they aired "The Shawshank Redemption" again and this time I watched it again. What a great flick. I still keep forgetting it's actually a Stephen King story. Anyway, one of my favorites.
smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #653434
06/27/12 06:14 PM
06/27/12 06:14 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
There should be a "Movies I've Seen a Hundred Times and Can't Wait to Watch Again" thread. smile

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Mark] #653437
06/27/12 06:21 PM
06/27/12 06:21 PM
California

California
Cable does that a lot...showing same movies over and over. I mean for God's sake, tons of movies made in the last decade(s). Lots of good movies too yet they choose to show the same ones over and over again. confused

I enjoy watching LMN (I know a chick channel) wink Yet I notice they'll show the same two movies from late afternoon til evening. So the movie that showed at 5:00 will show again at 7:00. Good grief, I KNOW lifetime has aired way more movies for a lot of years, than it shows.

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #653439
06/27/12 06:29 PM
06/27/12 06:29 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
IS - Mrs. Mark is a BIG LMN fan. One Saturday night she talked me into watching "The Blue Eyed Butcher" on LMN. It gave me nightmares! I think she stabbed her husband like 100 times?!? Of course it was based on a true story... which made it even more disturbing! eek eek

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Mark] #653440
06/27/12 06:36 PM
06/27/12 06:36 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Mark
IS - Mrs. Mark is a BIG LMN fan. One Saturday night she talked me into watching "The Blue Eyed Butcher" on LMN. It gave me nightmares! I think she stabbed her husband like 100 times?!? Of course it was based on a true story... which made it even more disturbing! eek eek

LOL Mark, I saw that when it was first on. By the title, I expected a blue eyed guy who was actually a butcher til I read what it was about. Yea, you wouldn't wanna be messing with her. lol

I don't watch it all the time but they do have some good movies and sometimes some really good movies.

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #653442
06/27/12 06:38 PM
06/27/12 06:38 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Cable does that a lot...showing same movies over and over. I mean for God's sake, tons of movies made in the last decade(s). Lots of good movies too yet they choose to show the same ones over and over again. confused

TIS

That's true. What puzzles me is that I see movies listed that I never heard of and many are with well known stars.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #653447
06/27/12 06:52 PM
06/27/12 06:52 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Has anyone ever seen arlington road? My mum suggested it to me and i thought it would be a lmn type movie (in the uk hallmark if i'm thinking about the same type of movie) but i thought it was amazing especially tim robbins being the bad guy so unexpected

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #653481
06/28/12 09:08 AM
06/28/12 09:08 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: olivant

That's true. What puzzles me is that I see movies listed that I never heard of and many are with well known stars.

It boils down to the price for TV rights.

You think TNT/TBS replayed SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION endlessly because they loved it? No. Ted Turner got those TV rights for dirt cheap (it was a box-office flop despite Oscar nominations) and hey you need programming to fill out all those hours on your TV networks besides wrestling, Braves baseball. Same reason why they replayed BEASTMASTER and ROADHOUSE into oblivion back in the day.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #653494
06/28/12 10:42 AM
06/28/12 10:42 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Other movies that are constantly on tv are DIE HARD, DIE HARD 2, IN THE LINE OF FIRE, THE FUGITIVE and KILL BILL.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: klydon1] #653495
06/28/12 10:44 AM
06/28/12 10:44 AM
California

California
Kly,

I LOVE Die Hard AND The Fugitive but they air them WAY TOO MUCH. I don't watch them on purpose because they lose their "greatness" if you see them too much IMHO. confused

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #653639
06/29/12 04:49 AM
06/29/12 04:49 AM
S
samparker Offline
Wiseguy
samparker  Offline
S
Wiseguy
last time i watched rock of ages

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: samparker] #653642
06/29/12 05:43 AM
06/29/12 05:43 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: samparker
last time i watched rock of ages

Most people I know who saw that walked out of the theater.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Camarel] #653645
06/29/12 06:31 AM
06/29/12 06:31 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Camarel
Has anyone ever seen arlington road? My mum suggested it to me and i thought it would be a lmn type movie (in the uk hallmark if i'm thinking about the same type of movie) but i thought it was amazing especially tim robbins being the bad guy so unexpected

yeah I thought that was a very underrated movie!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #653713
06/29/12 03:01 PM
06/29/12 03:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I just watched the original Gloria with Gena Rowlands. Wow, what a good film and one heck of a performance not only by Gena, but the little kid. How precocious! This is a different kind of Mafia movie that perfectly juxtaposes the endemic horrific qualities of Mafiosi with those which most of us possess. Give it a look.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #653717
06/29/12 03:07 PM
06/29/12 03:07 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Great movie, Oli. Rowlands is always worth a look, and Cassavetes may have been the most underrated director of all time.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Page 3 of 91 1 2 3 4 5 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull