GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (JGil916, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,712
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,280
Posts1,057,756
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638484
03/06/12 01:44 AM
03/06/12 01:44 AM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
^^^dont forget Ron Paul, he is against any foreign intervention

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Dapper_Don] #638485
03/06/12 01:46 AM
03/06/12 01:46 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
^^^dont forget Ron Paul, he is against any foreign intervention

That's true.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Dapper_Don] #638556
03/06/12 01:25 PM
03/06/12 01:25 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Is it me or did Obama look kind of pissed during the press conference with Netanyahu today?

They both looked uncomfortable. I think one of the papers had the headline "Best of Frenemies." It looks like an uneasy friendship at best.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: pizzaboy] #638558
03/06/12 01:41 PM
03/06/12 01:41 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I am sorry I missed it, but have seen clips. Btw, why is it that Netanyahu speaks such good English compared to other foreign leaders? confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: War with Iran? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #638559
03/06/12 01:43 PM
03/06/12 01:43 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I am sorry I missed it, but have seen clips. Btw, why is it that Netanyahu speaks such good English compared to other foreign leaders? confused

He lived in Philadelphia for several years of his childhood, Tis.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638571
03/06/12 04:00 PM
03/06/12 04:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
It's why it's hard for me to have any sympathy for the Palestinians, since they voted Hamas into power.

Me, too.

After Arafat died in 2005(leaving his family in Switzerland richer by the >$1 billion he embezzled from his own people), Mahmoud Abbas took over the Palestinian Authority. Israel thought he was interested in peace, so they returned Gaza to the PA--in the process uprooting 9,000 Jewish settlers, some of them forcibly, so the Gazans wouldn't be troubled with any Jews in their midst. Gazans ousted the PA and installed Hamas, an Islamic terrorist organization that quotes the Protocols of the Elders of Zion in its charter and vows to destroy Israel. Result: >7k rockets rained on Israel, causing scores of deaths and injuries.

If an Islamic terrorist organization like Al Queida, which wants to destroy America because we're a Christian-majority nation, were to win an election in southern Canada or northern Mexico, and start raining down rockets on Michigan or Arizona, how long would it take any of us to demand that our government stop them?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: Turnbull] #638610
03/06/12 07:10 PM
03/06/12 07:10 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Turnbull

After Arafat died in 2005(leaving his family in Switzerland richer by the >$1 billion he embezzled from his own people), Mahmoud Abbas took over the Palestinian Authority. Israel thought he was interested in peace, so they returned Gaza to the PA--in the process uprooting 9,000 Jewish settlers, some of them forcibly, so the Gazans wouldn't be troubled with any Jews in their midst. Gazans ousted the PA and installed Hamas, an Islamic terrorist organization that quotes the Protocols of the Elders of Zion in its charter and vows to destroy Israel. Result: >7k rockets rained on Israel, causing scores of deaths and injuries.

If an Islamic terrorist organization like Al Queida, which wants to destroy America because we're a Christian-majority nation, were to win an election in southern Canada or northern Mexico, and start raining down rockets on Michigan or Arizona, how long would it take any of us to demand that our government stop them?

Refreshing to see that somebody on this board recognizes this and just doesn't go on and on about "Israeli aggression."

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638614
03/06/12 07:53 PM
03/06/12 07:53 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
just some background info

In early February 2006, Hamas offered Israel a 10-year truce "in return for a complete Israeli withdrawal from the occupied Palestinian territories: the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem," and recognition of Palestinian rights including the "right of return."

After the election, the Quartet on the Middle East (the United States, Russia, the European Union (EU), and the United Nations) stated that assistance to the Palestinian Authority would only continue if Hamas renounced violence, recognized Israel, and accepted previous Israeli-Palestinian agreements, which Hamas refused to do.The Quartet then imposed a freeze on all international aid to the Palestinian territories.

In 2006 after the Gaza election, Hamas leader sent a letter addressed to George Bush where he among other things declared that Hamas would accept a state on the 1967 borders including a truce. However, the Bush administration didnt reply.

In an interview on May 2010, Mashaal said that if a Palestinian state with real sovereignty was established under the conditions he set out, on the borders of 1967 with its capital Jerusalem and with the right of return, that will be the end of the Palestinian resistance, and then the nature of any subsequent ties with Israel would be decided democratically by the Palestinians.

In July 2009, Khaled Meshal, Hamas's political bureau chief, stated Hamas's willingness to cooperate with a resolution to the Arab-Israeli conflict which included a Palestinian state based on 1967 borders, provided that Palestinian refugees be given the right to return to Israel and that East Jerusalem be recognized as the new state's capital.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 03/06/12 07:56 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Turnbull] #638619
03/06/12 08:00 PM
03/06/12 08:00 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
It's why it's hard for me to have any sympathy for the Palestinians, since they voted Hamas into power.

Me, too.

technically, al-qaeda wants to destroy america for a number of reasons chiefly our undying support both militarily and economically for israel, the "occupation of arab lands" eg Saudi Arabia, etc by US troops, and outrage toward the U.S. for being a secular, domineering presence in the Arab world

again in not saying i hate israel or anything like that (i dont, i have lots of close jewish friends) i am just sharing some comments as I see things

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638625
03/06/12 08:27 PM
03/06/12 08:27 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Well said, Mr. President.

Quote:
"If some of these folks think that it’s time to launch a war, they should say so. And they should explain to the American people exactly why they would do that and what the consequences would be,"

Quote:
"“I see some of these folks who have a lot of bluster, and a lot of big talk, but when you actually ask them specifically what they would do, it turns out they repeat the things that we’ve been doing over the last three years — it indicates to me that that’s more about politics than actually trying to solve a difficult problem.”"

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Dapper_Don] #638627
03/06/12 08:36 PM
03/06/12 08:36 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

In early February 2006, Hamas offered Israel a 10-year truce "in return for a complete Israeli withdrawal from the occupied Palestinian territories: the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem," and recognition of Palestinian rights including the "right of return."

After the election, the Quartet on the Middle East (the United States, Russia, the European Union (EU), and the United Nations) stated that assistance to the Palestinian Authority would only continue if Hamas renounced violence, recognized Israel, and accepted previous Israeli-Palestinian agreements, which Hamas refused to do.The Quartet then imposed a freeze on all international aid to the Palestinian territories.

In 2006 after the Gaza election, Hamas leader sent a letter addressed to George Bush where he among other things declared that Hamas would accept a state on the 1967 borders including a truce. However, the Bush administration didnt reply.

In an interview on May 2010, Mashaal said that if a Palestinian state with real sovereignty was established under the conditions he set out, on the borders of 1967 with its capital Jerusalem and with the right of return, that will be the end of the Palestinian resistance, and then the nature of any subsequent ties with Israel would be decided democratically by the Palestinians.

In July 2009, Khaled Meshal, Hamas's political bureau chief, stated Hamas's willingness to cooperate with a resolution to the Arab-Israeli conflict which included a Palestinian state based on 1967 borders, provided that Palestinian refugees be given the right to return to Israel and that East Jerusalem be recognized as the new state's capital.

The Palestinians have been wanting a return to the 1967 borders ever since, well, their 1967 attack on Israel failed. They attack Israel, Israel kicks their butts and takes more land, and afterward the Palestinians are like, "Oh, never mind. Let's just pretend like none of this ever happened." And so Israel is supposed to give away land they've had for over 40 years in return for what? A meaningless 10 year promise of peace? Then what? Seriously, Dapper, open your eyes. I realize you're an Obama fan but you've bought into the liberal bullshit that paints Israel as the tyrant and the Palestinians as the victim.

technically, al-qaeda wants to destroy america for a number of reasons chiefly our undying support both militarily and economically for israel, the "occupation of arab lands" eg Saudi Arabia, etc by US troops, and outrage toward the U.S. for being a secular, domineering presence in the Arab world

again in not saying i hate israel or anything like that (i dont, i have lots of close jewish friends) i am just sharing some comments as I see things

What's ironic is, ol' Bin Laden and his mujahideen buddies were fine with U.S. assistance in their war against the Soviet Union. But afterward? Get out! The Muslim world does have a lot of ground to talk as far as the immoral, corrupt, secular influence of the west. But, then again, many of these Muslim countries in the middle east have been dysfunctional dictatorships who run things by fear, torture, murder, etc. Israel, and the U.S. support of it, has been the least of their problems. But for years they allowed their tyrant leaders to keep their focus on what they claimed was the source of all their problems - Israel.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 03/06/12 08:41 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638635
03/06/12 09:13 PM
03/06/12 09:13 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
A few things

Facts are facts, First of all, the Palestinians did NOT attack Israel first in 1967. The contrary is correct.

The Six-Day War fought between June 5 and 10, 1967, by Israel and the neighboring states of Egypt , Jordan, and Syria. After a period of high tension between Israel and its neighbors, the war began on June 5 with Israel launching surprise air strikes against Arab forces. The outcome was a swift and decisive Israeli victory. Israel took effective control of the Gaza Strip and the Sinai Peninsula from Egypt, the West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan, and the Golan Heights from Syria.

At the commencement of hostilities, both Egypt and Israel announced that they had been attacked by the other country. Once it was established that Israel had struck first, the Israeli government claimed that it was a pre-emptive strike in the face of a planned invasion by the Arab countries.On the other hand, the Arab view was that it was an unjustified attack.In the leadup to the war, the United States advised Israel that America's military intelligence saw no signs of Egypt preparing to invade Israel.

I havent bought into any bullshit from anybody. Personally, i look at the facts on the ground as I see them and then I support the policies that I think should be in place. this is why I support Obama, Obama has been one of the few leaders (well until recently) to call Israel out on its aggressive behaviors, its treatment of the Palestinians, and its reluctance to accept the 1967 borders in exchange for a lasting peace agreement. A spade is a spade as I see it.

Yes, I am Liberal but I DONT vote according to party lines. In fact, I have voted a few times for conservative candidates in the past. I vote on the ISSUES and the adequate solutions that I think are needed and presented by all candidates involved.

The fact of the matter is, I am not blaming one side over the other. BOTH sides are guilty in certain respects for the lack of a peace agreement in the region.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 03/06/12 09:18 PM.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638637
03/06/12 09:20 PM
03/06/12 09:20 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York

The Palestinians have been wanting a return to the 1967 borders ever since, well, their 1967 attack on Israel failed. They attack Israel, Israel kicks their butts and takes more land, and afterward the Palestinians are like, "Oh, never mind. Let's just pretend like none of this ever happened." And so Israel is supposed to give away land they've had for over 40 years in return for what? A meaningless 10 year promise of peace? Then what? Seriously, Dapper, open your eyes. I realize you're an Obama fan but you've bought into the liberal bullshit that paints Israel as the tyrant and the Palestinians as the victim.

What's ironic is, ol' Bin Laden and his mujahideen buddies were fine with U.S. assistance in their war against the Soviet Union. But afterward? Get out! The Muslim world does have a lot of ground to talk as far as the immoral, corrupt, secular influence of the west. But, then again, many of these Muslim countries in the middle east have been dysfunctional dictatorships who run things by fear, torture, murder, etc. Israel, and the U.S. support of it, has been the least of their problems. But for years they allowed their tyrant leaders to keep their focus on what they claimed was the source of all their problems - Israel.

I agree wholeheartedly with the last paragraph

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Dapper_Don] #638651
03/06/12 10:40 PM
03/06/12 10:40 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

A few things

Facts are facts, First of all, the Palestinians did NOT attack Israel first in 1967. The contrary is correct.

The Six-Day War fought between June 5 and 10, 1967, by Israel and the neighboring states of Egypt , Jordan, and Syria. After a period of high tension between Israel and its neighbors, the war began on June 5 with Israel launching surprise air strikes against Arab forces. The outcome was a swift and decisive Israeli victory. Israel took effective control of the Gaza Strip and the Sinai Peninsula from Egypt, the West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan, and the Golan Heights from Syria.

At the commencement of hostilities, both Egypt and Israel announced that they had been attacked by the other country. Once it was established that Israel had struck first, the Israeli government claimed that it was a pre-emptive strike in the face of a planned invasion by the Arab countries.On the other hand, the Arab view was that it was an unjustified attack.In the leadup to the war, the United States advised Israel that America's military intelligence saw no signs of Egypt preparing to invade Israel.

I havent bought into any bullshit from anybody. Personally, i look at the facts on the ground as I see them and then I support the policies that I think should be in place. this is why I support Obama, Obama has been one of the few leaders (well until recently) to call Israel out on its aggressive behaviors, its treatment of the Palestinians, and its reluctance to accept the 1967 borders in exchange for a lasting peace agreement. A spade is a spade as I see it.

Yes, I am Liberal but I DONT vote according to party lines. In fact, I have voted a few times for conservative candidates in the past. I vote on the ISSUES and the adequate solutions that I think are needed and presented by all candidates involved.

The fact of the matter is, I am not blaming one side over the other. BOTH sides are guilty in certain respects for the lack of a peace agreement in the region.

First, you must have missed the part in the history books where Egypt, Jordan, and Syria were mounting their forces on the Israeli border in preparation for attack. Israel simply beat them to the punch.

Second, so Israel should give up land it's had for over 40 years in return for a promise of a "lasting peace agreement" that the Palestinians will never adhere to? Every time the Israelis have given up land, it's been used to launch rockets further into Israel. And even if some Palestinians were willing to abide by the agreement, others wouldn't. So, in the end, Israel is being asked to give up a lot in return for.....wait for it.....NOTHING.

Third, yes, neither side is perfect or pure as the driven snow. But the fault for failing to find lasting peace certainly isn't 50/50 or even close to it.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Dapper_Don] #638656
03/06/12 10:56 PM
03/06/12 10:56 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

The Six-Day War fought between June 5 and 10, 1967, by Israel and the neighboring states of Egypt , Jordan, and Syria. After a period of high tension between Israel and its neighbors, [b]the war began on June 5 with Israel launching surprise air strikes against Arab forces.

Let's look at the period of "high tension":

May 15: President Nasser of Egypt ordered two armored divisions into the Sinai Peninsula.

May 17: Nasser ordered UNEF, the UN force in the Sinai, to depart from Egyptian territory. Three Egyptian divisions and 600 tanks then deployed in the Sinai.

May 22: Nasser announced the closure of the Straits of Tiran to Israeli shipping, cutting off all shipping to Israel’s port of Eilat. which was responsible for 30% of israel's exports.
Nasser's move was also illegal. As part of the post-1956 war settlement, the Gulf of Aqaba had been declared by maritime nations in 1957 as an international waterway.

May 25: Nasser, in a speech to the Egyptian National Assembly, said: "The problem presently before the Arab countries is not whether the port of Eilat should be blockaded or how to blockade it - but how to totally exterminate the State of Israel for all time."

May 30: Mutual defense pact signed between Egypt, Jordan and Syria.

But, you're right: Israel did strike first. What a bunch of warmongers! Why would a peace-loving state ever take seriously an extermination threat from a neighboring state and its Soviet-armed allies?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: Turnbull] #638660
03/06/12 11:06 PM
03/06/12 11:06 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York

The Six-Day War fought between June 5 and 10, 1967, by Israel and the neighboring states of Egypt , Jordan, and Syria. After a period of high tension between Israel and its neighbors, [b]the war began on June 5 with Israel launching surprise air strikes against Arab forces.

Let's look at the period of "high tension":

May 15: President Nasser of Egypt ordered two armored divisions into the Sinai Peninsula.

May 17: Nasser ordered UNEF, the UN force in the Sinai, to depart from Egyptian territory. Three Egyptian divisions and 600 tanks then deployed in the Sinai.

May 22: Nasser announced the closure of the Straits of Tiran to Israeli shipping, cutting off all shipping to Israel’s port of Eilat. which was responsible for 30% of israel's exports.
Nasser's move was also illegal. As part of the post-1956 war settlement, the Gulf of Aqaba had been declared by maritime nations in 1957 as an international waterway.

May 25: Nasser, in a speech to the Egyptian National Assembly, said: "The problem presently before the Arab countries is not whether the port of Eilat should be blockaded or how to blockade it - but how to totally exterminate the State of Israel for all time."

May 30: Mutual defense pact signed between Egypt, Jordan and Syria.

But, you're right: Israel did strike first. What a bunch of warmongers! Why would a peace-loving state ever take seriously an extermination threat from a neighboring state and its Soviet-armed allies?

I agree there was high tension but I was just making a point that Israel did technically strike first thats all.

The Israeli view was that its initiation of the Six-Day War was a pre-emptive strike in the face of a planned invasion of Israel by the Arab countries.A number of sources support this view.

On the other hand, the Arab view was that it was an unprovoked attack.The view that the Arab states were not a threat justifying a preemptive strike is also supported by a number of sources.

After the war senior Israelis have acknowledged that Israel wasn't, in fact, expecting to be invaded when it initiated hostilities against Egypt.

Neither U.S. nor Israeli intelligence assessed that there was any kind of serious threat of an Egyptian attack.On the contrary, both considered the possibility that Egypt might invade as being extremely slim.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 03/06/12 11:26 PM.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638662
03/06/12 11:20 PM
03/06/12 11:20 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
A few things

First, you must have missed the part in the history books where Egypt, Jordan, and Syria were mounting their forces on the Israeli border in preparation for attack. Israel simply beat them to the punch.

Second, so Israel should give up land it's had for over 40 years in return for a promise of a "lasting peace agreement" that the Palestinians will never adhere to? Every time the Israelis have given up land, it's been used to launch rockets further into Israel. And even if some Palestinians were willing to abide by the agreement, others wouldn't. So, in the end, Israel is being asked to give up a lot in return for.....wait for it.....NOTHING.

Third, yes, neither side is perfect or pure as the driven snow. But the fault for failing to find lasting peace certainly isn't 50/50 or even close to it.

It's not really giving up land when you have Jewish settlers who refuse to move from the land that you are "giving back" still on it. I am not denying Israel is under constant rocket attacks, suicide bombings, etc and they should exercise their right to respond. But lets not forget the various human rights violations the Israelis have been perpetuating against the Palestinians like declaring West Bank areas closed military zones to deny activists access to them; arresting, detaining, indicting, convicting, and imprisoning activists as a deterrent; and dispersing demonstrations with excessive force, using rubber-coated metal bullets, at times live rounds, stun grenades, tear gas, and other repressive measures against peaceful protesters. Lets also not forget Israel's overwhelming use of force in Lebanon a few years back which earned/continues to draw international condemnation.

It is a tough situation overall, hence why there hasnt been a lasting agreement/breakthrough. I wish there were a viable peace agreement though cause I feel that would help quell a lot of the ills that both America and Israel have in the Middle East. I dont favor one side or the other I just think both sides are to blame for the lack of progress.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638899
03/08/12 12:00 PM
03/08/12 12:00 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Quote:
Sen. John Kerry -- chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee -- in a Washington Post op-ed criticized Mitt Romney's foreign policy approach to Iran. "I join this debate because the nuclear issue with Iran is deadly serious business," Kerry writes. "It should invite sobriety and thoughtfulness, not sloganeering and sound bites. The stakes are far too high for it to become just another applause line on the stump. Idle talk of war only helps Iran by spooking the tight oil market and increasing the price of the Iranian crude that pays for its nuclear program."

I was right to call that last line Rovian.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638938
03/08/12 02:45 PM
03/08/12 02:45 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
You'd think these chicken hawks who are always planning the next war would have learned from Iraq and Afghanistan. War is the last resort, not the first.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638949
03/08/12 04:12 PM
03/08/12 04:12 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
It appears that many posts about this subject are borne out of ignorance about the hierarchy of Iran's national government. Its military is in the hands of the ruling mullahs, not its president.

I've posted elsewhere that Israel's strategic capability to carry out an attack is significantly limited and even more so to carry it out successfully.

Since prevailing winds over Iran are west to east, several countries would be subject to the radioactive fallout that any attack could engender. However, prevailing winds do not always prevail; thus, Iraq and points west could be swept with radioactivity.

Last edited by olivant; 03/08/12 04:13 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #638950
03/08/12 04:15 PM
03/08/12 04:15 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: olivant
thus, Iraq and points west could be swept with radioactivity.

Yeah, but have the Iranian mullahs gone so far around the bend that they just don't care?

Re: War with Iran? [Re: pizzaboy] #638952
03/08/12 04:19 PM
03/08/12 04:19 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
There is a basic core difference between the American and Israeli governments on this issue.

Washington doesn't want Tehran to have a bomb, Tel Aviv doesn't want Tehran to have the capability to make a bomb.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638954
03/08/12 04:22 PM
03/08/12 04:22 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
There is a basic core difference between the American and Israeli governments on this issue.

Washington doesn't want Tehran to have a bomb, Tel Aviv doesn't want Tehran to have the capability to make a bomb.

Good point, Ronnie. And therein lies the problem.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: pizzaboy] #638989
03/08/12 07:51 PM
03/08/12 07:51 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Good point, Ronnie. And therein lies the problem.

And that's because the Israelis will be the likely first target even before America. So they don't have the same luxury of waiting indefinitely for "diplomacy" to work as the U.S. and other nations.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #639008
03/08/12 10:44 PM
03/08/12 10:44 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee

And that's because the Israelis will be the likely first target even before America. So they don't have the same luxury of waiting indefinitely for "diplomacy" to work as the U.S. and other nations.

You're obviously pretty damn certain that if Tehran becomes nuclear armed, that they'll immediately press the button without haste.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #639009
03/08/12 10:47 PM
03/08/12 10:47 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

You're obviously pretty damn certain that if Tehran becomes nuclear armed, that they'll immediately press the button without haste.

Taking everything into consideration, as well as dispensing with wishful thinking, it would be reckless not to assume they would use it sooner or later. And not just a direct attack on Israel or whoever but also use it as leverage to further influence/destabilize the region.

But, hey, maybe the Iranians really are just sick of using all that oil under the ground and really do want to convert to nuclear energy. whistle

Last edited by IvyLeague; 03/08/12 10:47 PM.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #639015
03/08/12 11:31 PM
03/08/12 11:31 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee

Taking everything into consideration, as well as dispensing with wishful thinking, it would be reckless not to assume they would use it sooner or later.

You hear that? That's the sound of a mullah counting his money earned from such war talk. KA-CHING!

Really, they'll "use it sooner or later?" Based on what? Your fears? Newsmax?

Not including tests, the only time nuclear weapons have been detonated was in 1945.

Not even an evil government like the Soviet Union ever used them, and they were quite frankly a real legitimate scary threat worth shitting your pants over. Proven history of having little to no regard or respect for their neighbors, I'm certain they would've tried to overwhelm Western Europe militarily sometime in the Cold War era if not for the nuclear deterrent.

China has had them since the 1950s, doesn't that scare you? Or hell, Pakistan/India? You know, two nations who hate each other for a living and been to war three times? Remember back in the 2000s when they had their own little stand-off which threatened to spill over into war?

(Off-topic, but I'll get back to my point: Why isn't the GOP scaremongering about Pakistan? They have nukes. They don't like us, they're proven without a shadow a doubt that they've undermined us greatly in Afghanistan. They're not a friend as much as a drug dealer you need for that fix at the moment. God I hope we kick those assholes to the curb whenever we escape Afghanistan.)

And not just a direct attack on Israel or whoever but also use it as leverage to further influence/destabilize the region.

That region is already destabilized. (Or the more appropriate terminology, dysfunctional.)

BTW off-topic, what did you personally think of when George W. Bush vetoed the same airstrikes that Israel demanded in '08?

But, hey, maybe the Iranians really are just sick of using all that oil under the ground and really do want to convert to nuclear energy. whistle

With zero evidence, I've wondered if they're punking us over that shit. If Saddam played mind games with us over his imaginary WMD stockpile (like the Iranian agent "Curveball" that we believed), why wouldn't they do it too?

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #639019
03/09/12 12:28 AM
03/09/12 12:28 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Apparently, there's enough evidence of Iran working on a nuclear program to cause a lot of countries, in addition to the U.S. and Israel, concern.

First, you guys argue that military action is not the answer now. But the more I read, it's like you guys are really answering that military action will never be the answer. That Iran is not really up to much and, even if they were, they really don't have any bad intentions about it.

As much as you may think some are rushing into war, I think some of you guys go too far the other way. I fall somewhere in the middle. I think there's still time for "diplomacy" but it has a time clock and the window of opportunity is shrinking.

As for Bush not going along with air strikes back in 2008, it wouldn't surprise me if he felt he didn't have enough to support the attack and was trying to be extra careful considering the military action already going on in Iraq and Afghanistan. He probably thought, "I leave this for the guy who replaces me."

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #639047
03/09/12 07:06 AM
03/09/12 07:06 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Quote:
The former head of Israel's intelligence service believes the Iranian regime is a rational one and even its president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - who has called for Israel to be annihilated - acts in a somewhat rational way when it comes to Iran's nuclear ambitions.
The regime in Iran is a very rational one," says the former top Israeli spymaster. And President Ahmadinejad? "The answer is yes," he replies, but "Not exactly our rational, but I think he is rational," Dagan tells Stahl.

It's a different kind of rational says Dagan, not rational in the Western-thinking sense. "But no doubt, they are considering all the implications of their actions...They will have to pay dearly...and I think the Iranians at this point in time are...very careful on the project," says Dagan. "They are not running..."

So he doesn't advocate a pre-emptive Israeli military strike against Iran's nuclear industry anytime soon, an attack that he said would have to be against "a large number of targets."

Ex-Mossad Chief: Iran Rational Don't attack now

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #639135
03/09/12 05:03 PM
03/09/12 05:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Israel is not going to strike Iran. They don't have the horses and there is no guarantee of success. Before the US strikes, there are plenty of things to consider such as the number of US warplanes that would be downed, potential prisoner pilots, lack of success, and the resulting unrest in the region.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull