GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Toodoped, mustachepete, Brovelli, joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 131 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,712
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,281
Posts1,057,758
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638068
03/03/12 09:01 PM
03/03/12 09:01 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Anyone else find it a little annoying that we've come to the point where we basically have to pay certain countries to behave? It's like they're extorting us. And how much benefit to do the people of North Korea get from our aid?

How much aid the people get is immaterial; the focus is how much security do we get for the price we pay.

We've been paying other countries to behave in certain ways for decades. How much money did we pay to keep the Shah in power to maintain our political and economic interests viable in that region. That money was used to brutalize and suppress his own people. We bankrolled dictatorships and never worried where our money went as long as the oil kept coming from the Middle East and bananas kept coming from Central America.

We lavishly dropped billions on Mubarak, essentially buying a measure of peace. Can anyone provide an itemization of how the funds were disbursed.

Iran is in a unique position, and presents a threat. If the threat is not real, we don't deal with it. If it is real, we have to evaluate it objectively. But our security isn't free. War is an awful, expensive alternative.

Is it annoying to pay certain countries to behave? You're damn right it is. But it's also annoying to pay for years of war, to pay to rebuild other countries after wars, to pay high energy prices as a result of instability. It's also annoying to see filled body bags coming stateside.

I don't remove war as an option if absolutely necessary and justified, but if every avenue of peace isn't exhausted before we enter into war, we have failed regardless of the outcome.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: klydon1] #638072
03/03/12 09:33 PM
03/03/12 09:33 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Anyone else find it a little annoying that we've come to the point where we basically have to pay certain countries to behave? It's like they're extorting us. And how much benefit to do the people of North Korea get from our aid?

How much aid the people get is immaterial; the focus is how much security do we get for the price we pay.

We've been paying other countries to behave in certain ways for decades. How much money did we pay to keep the Shah in power to maintain our political and economic interests viable in that region. That money was used to brutalize and suppress his own people. We bankrolled dictatorships and never worried where our money went as long as the oil kept coming from the Middle East and bananas kept coming from Central America.

We lavishly dropped billions on Mubarak, essentially buying a measure of peace. Can anyone provide an itemization of how the funds were disbursed.

Iran is in a unique position, and presents a threat. If the threat is not real, we don't deal with it. If it is real, we have to evaluate it objectively. But our security isn't free. War is an awful, expensive alternative.

Is it annoying to pay certain countries to behave? You're damn right it is. But it's also annoying to pay for years of war, to pay to rebuild other countries after wars, to pay high energy prices as a result of instability. It's also annoying to see filled body bags coming stateside.

I don't remove war as an option if absolutely necessary and justified, but if every avenue of peace isn't exhausted before we enter into war, we have failed regardless of the outcome.

well said

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638132
03/04/12 01:00 PM
03/04/12 01:00 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I was just listening to Netanyahu's former Chief of Staff about the President's AIPAC speech. Madonne! Some people are never satisfied. He is a perfect example of what is radical in people. He's insistent that the US apply sanctions that will paralyze Iran right now. Thank God that the Fox moderator countered some of his statements by quoting the President.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #638187
03/04/12 04:16 PM
03/04/12 04:16 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: olivant
I was just listening to Netanyahu's former Chief of Staff about the President's AIPAC speech. Madonne! Some people are never satisfied. He is a perfect example of what is radical in people. He's insistent that the US apply sanctions that will paralyze Iran right now. Thank God that the Fox moderator countered some of his statements by quoting the President.

I saw that, Oli. And he did come off as rather unreasonable.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #638235
03/04/12 08:10 PM
03/04/12 08:10 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee

Nothing our government does is good enough save for us volunteering to bomb Iran ourselves.

If anything, notice how they never chew out Dubya for (wisely) saying No back in 2008 to the same strikes they're currently screaming for.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 03/04/12 08:14 PM.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638236
03/04/12 08:17 PM
03/04/12 08:17 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
President Obama:

Quote:
"Over the last few weeks, such talk has only benefited the Iranian government, by driving up the price of oil, which they depend upon to fund their nuclear program. "

Mitt Romney:

Quote:
"If Barack Obama gets re-elected, Iran will have a nuclear weapon."

You gotta give Tehran credit, they're making good money off our drumbeat.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638239
03/04/12 08:23 PM
03/04/12 08:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Why don't the Republican candidates just come out and state that upon election to the Presidency they will order US military forces to attack Iran?

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638240
03/04/12 08:26 PM
03/04/12 08:26 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Wait, Obama believes Iran has a nuclear program? wink

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638242
03/04/12 08:36 PM
03/04/12 08:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Regardless of whether he does or not, the following is part of his AIPAC speech this morning:

" ... when it comes to preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, I will take no options off the table, and I mean what I say."

"That includes all elements of American power.

Last edited by olivant; 03/04/12 08:36 PM.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #638243
03/04/12 08:41 PM
03/04/12 08:41 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Why don't the Republican candidates just come out and state that upon election to the Presidency they will order US military forces to attack Iran?

I thought they have at the debates with their doomsday talk about Iran and nukes if they're not "stopped" or if "we survive"? What Mittens said today and which I posted above, he's been saying that for months.

Whether it'll work or not, notice how the President pre-emptively tied gas prices to flag waving. How Rovian of him.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #638258
03/04/12 10:35 PM
03/04/12 10:35 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Regardless of whether he does or not, the following is part of his AIPAC speech this morning:

" ... when it comes to preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, I will take no options off the table, and I mean what I say."

"That includes all elements of American power.

Mine was sort of a rhetorical comment. The point was that Obama, who many here are obviously in the bag for, believes Iran is working on a nuclear program and hasn't taken anything off the table; including military action.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638268
03/04/12 11:07 PM
03/04/12 11:07 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

I thought they have at the debates with their doomsday talk about Iran and nukes if they're not "stopped" or if "we survive"? What Mittens said today and which I posted above, he's been saying that for months.

Whether it'll work or not, notice how the President pre-emptively tied gas prices to flag waving. How Rovian of him.

They've only made comments about not letting Iran possess a weapon.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638278
03/05/12 12:10 AM
03/05/12 12:10 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Olivant - It's code talk that even a hung over monkey can decipher. (Which is the point.)

Anyway, this nugget from the AIPAC conference this weekend:

Quote:
Among the speakers was Liz Cheney, a former State Department official and daughter of George W. Bush's vice president. There was widespread applause for her attacks on Barack Obama including when she said the president is more interested in "containing Israel" by discouraging it from attacking Iran than blocking Tehran from developing a nuclear bomb. There was also applause when she said there was no president who had done more to "undermine and delegitimise" Israel. There were loud cheers when she predicted that the next Aipac conference will be held under a new US president.

Nothing less than outright war (invasion would be cherry on top) would satisfy that 5th column.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638280
03/05/12 12:39 AM
03/05/12 12:39 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

‘When the chips are down, I have Israel’s back,’ says Obama, while reiterating he won’t be rushed into war with Iran

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/chips...-184525416.html

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638285
03/05/12 01:45 AM
03/05/12 01:45 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
True RR, but why won't they just come out and say it? Well, they know they'd lose votes over it. I guess they're smart enough to know that the last thing Americans want is another military action.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #638287
03/05/12 02:43 AM
03/05/12 02:43 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
True RR, but why won't they just come out and say it? Well, they know they'd lose votes over it. I guess they're smart enough to know that the last thing Americans want is another military action.

I'm sure that's why they do that, but considering how we're seriously debating venturing forth into a fourth war in that region in the last decade, I think they might be just a tad too cautious.

Anyway this brings something I found on-line earlier today. Over-exaggerated fear or...not? I don't know, you tell me.

Quote:
My worry is that once the Likudniks begin to realize Obama may not be defeated by the GOP at home, the current Israeli government would launch a war without warning to create a crisis to humiliate the president, rally end-times evangelicals to vote, send oil prices soaring, and force the US president to coopt a war he does not want and does not yet believe is necessary. If that helps the GOP nominee, so much the better.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/03/obama-at-aipac.html

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 03/05/12 02:46 AM.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638291
03/05/12 06:04 AM
03/05/12 06:04 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Two things...

First, I think your comment that they are "neo-colonialists playing tough guy with people's lives" is based more on emotion than on reality.

Second, I'm not saying war is the answer right now. And I don't think anyone else is. I'm all for seeing if the sanctions, etc. does the job. But it's becoming more and more clear to me that you and some others here would only resort to military action against Iran once they had nuclear weapons AND used them. In other words, nothing short of a mushroom cloud over Tel Aviv or a terrorist detonating a bomb in some U.S. or European city could happen before you'd finally say, "Well, OK, maybe we should deal with this."

1) You are of course entitled to your opinion as are we all. Have you read works by Max Boot, Victor Davis Hanson, Niall Ferguson and others? Neo-colonialist is not just an epithet. It is an accurate description of their political positions and general wordview. They won't be the ones cowering in basements while their cities are bombed or watching their children be born deformed from depleted uranium munitions usage. No, they'll just be going to Washington parties and writing books or columns about new "threats".

2) Wow. Again with the apocalyptic imagery. That is the same hypothetical that former Secretary of State Rice used to justify the war on Iraq. And we know how that turned out.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638293
03/05/12 06:10 AM
03/05/12 06:10 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Obviously they have a nuclear program, since Israel and MEK someone has been assassinating their scientists and sabotaging the program. The question is whether they have a nuclear weapons program, which to date the latest and greatest intelligence says no. And this is why those who want war are talking about stopping their capability to have a nuclear weapon at some time in the future instead of stopping their nuclear weapons program.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638312
03/05/12 11:05 AM
03/05/12 11:05 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
My worry is that once the Likudniks begin to realize Obama may not be defeated by the GOP at home, the current Israeli government would launch a war without warning to create a crisis to humiliate the president, rally end-times evangelicals to vote, send oil prices soaring, and force the US president to coopt a war he does not want and does not yet believe is necessary. If that helps the GOP nominee, so much the better.

That is a scary (and very real) possibility.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: Lilo] #638439
03/05/12 10:32 PM
03/05/12 10:32 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Lilo

Obviously they have a nuclear program, since Israel and MEK someone has been assassinating their scientists and sabotaging the program. The question is whether they have a nuclear weapons program, which to date the latest and greatest intelligence says no. And this is why those who want war are talking about stopping their capability to have a nuclear weapon at some time in the future instead of stopping their nuclear weapons program.

I think you're being intentionally obtuse on this. Anyone with an IQ above 50 should be able to recognize the fact that Iran, which is sitting on a sea of oil, is one of the last countries in the world to need nuclear energy. Couple that with Iran's longstanding support of terrorist groups, as well as it's longstanding desire to wipe Israel off the map, well, it doesn't take a genius to see the problem here.

The fact is, while there is a window where there are other avenues besides military action, that window has a ever-shrinking time frame. But I've become convinced that you and some others here have already resigned yourselves to Iran getting nuclear weapons. So you start from that point and work backward, trying to find any quotes, data, etc. that supports your preconceived conclusion that under virtually no circumstances would military action be justified.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638445
03/05/12 11:04 PM
03/05/12 11:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The most desirable outcome for all (starting with the Iranian people) would be a regime change. An attack on Iran would probably strengthen the regime by making Iranians instinctively rally behind their government. But that government shows no signs of softening its hard line stance. The opposition sat out the most recent election because they perceived (probably correctly) that the results were a foregone conclusion, and the regime threatened them not to contest the (foregone) results. Plus, the regime does not hesitate to brutally suppress dissent of any kind. So, the "winners" were Khamani and Ahmadinejan, the same two who have no incentive whatsoever to abandon their nuclear ambitions and their dictatorship.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: Turnbull] #638449
03/05/12 11:19 PM
03/05/12 11:19 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The most desirable outcome for all (starting with the Iranian people) would be a regime change. An attack on Iran would probably strengthen the regime by making Iranians instinctively rally behind their government. But that government shows no signs of softening its hard line stance. The opposition sat out the most recent election because they perceived (probably correctly) that the results were a foregone conclusion, and the regime threatened them not to contest the (foregone) results. Plus, the regime does not hesitate to brutally suppress dissent of any kind. So, the "winners" were Khamani and Ahmadinejan, the same two who have no incentive whatsoever to abandon their nuclear ambitions and their dictatorship.

I recall the Iranian protesters back in 2009 wanting some kind of international assistance. The protesters in Syria have been asking for it for a year now. They probably have different ideas on what kind of assistance they want but, if any of these people would rally around the same despots that have their boots on their necks, they deserve the situation they're in. It's why it's hard for me to have any sympathy for the Palestinians, since they voted Hamas into power.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638451
03/05/12 11:27 PM
03/05/12 11:27 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

I recall the Iranian protesters back in 2009 wanting some kind of international assistance. The protesters in Syria have been asking for it for a year now. They probably have different ideas on what kind of assistance they want but, if any of these people would rally around the same despots that have their boots on their necks, they deserve the situation they're in. It's why it's hard for me to have any sympathy for the Palestinians, since they voted Hamas into power.

I understand your point, but the Palestinians voted Hamas in cause Hamas were the only ones willing to go up against the Israeli aggression that the people are forced to go through on a daily basis. They were elected out of frustration with the lack of a viable peace solution to the problem.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Dapper_Don] #638454
03/05/12 11:38 PM
03/05/12 11:38 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

I understand your point, but the Palestinians voted Hamas in cause Hamas were the only ones willing to go up against the Israeli aggression that the people are forced to go through on a daily basis. They were elected out of frustration with the lack of a viable peace solution to the problem.

In my opinion, the only difference between Hamas and Fatah/PLO is that Hamas is more upfront and honest about their desire to destroy Israel.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638455
03/05/12 11:43 PM
03/05/12 11:43 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Things are looking to get ugly very quickly, on one hand we have increasing calls for American involvement on some level in Syria and then there's the whole issue with Iran and the real possibility that we might be involved there if things go south in the future. The Middle East would erupt in a huge uproar if we send our troops/attack these two places. Imagine the craziness!!!

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638457
03/05/12 11:47 PM
03/05/12 11:47 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638462
03/06/12 12:02 AM
03/06/12 12:02 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej9-xaD8Psk&feature=player_embedded#!

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638468
03/06/12 12:41 AM
03/06/12 12:41 AM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Is it me or did Obama look kind of pissed during the press conference with Netanyahu today?

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638477
03/06/12 01:25 AM
03/06/12 01:25 AM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York

Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #638482
03/06/12 01:37 AM
03/06/12 01:37 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee

In retrospect, I'm kinda surprised the GOP debates didn't demand air strikes over Syria. If I remember right, Santorum (at least him) outright said NO to military intervention and he was the most NeoCon of that bunch. Surprising for me considering Syria is the one reliable ally of Tehran in that region. A contract hit, right there for the taking.

Strategically, it makes sense. (It also only risks a bloody civil war (right on Israel's border) that might happen anyway, but should be noted.)

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 03/06/12 01:37 AM.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull