GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (furio_from_naples, 2 invisible), 115 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,712
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,772
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #627449
01/02/12 12:05 PM
01/02/12 12:05 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

The latest report? Don't you think something like "antiwar.com" may have an agenda and not present all the facts objectively? Furthermore, while people can complain about the U.S. acting too swiftly on weak evidence - that most believed at the time despite the revisionist history - the tired accusations of lying is a stretch. But since we're talking false claims here, where is all that Iraqi oil we were supposedly fighting for. You know, the real reason we were there. rolleyes

Amazing. Yes, Antiwar has a "bias" if you will, a bias against wars of choice and convenience. A bias against wars of self-aggrandizement and imperialism. A bias against the concentrating of powers into the executive branch that are part and parcel of war. This is something that is true across the political spectrum as antiwar's primary editor is a right-wing libertarian-the linked article was written by a conservative former CIA operative- but antiwar serves as a clearing house for various antiwar points of view from the left, right and all points in between. Many people across the board did not believe the claims made about Iraq and said so at the time. We were right. The other side was wrong. We didn't have to make up false claims about yellowcake in Niger or links to Al-Qaeda or run around yammering about Saddam and a mushroom cloud. So when the same people start up again about Iran, a wise person would at the very least check the evidence a little more closely.

Exactly who is saying we need to move on Iran "now?"

Are you serious?
22% of Republicans think Iran requires military action now

John Yoo Makes case for Military Action in Iran

John Bolton says the sooner we attack the better

Santorum threatens to bomb Iran

Originally Posted By: Lilo
War is such an evil thing that the only moral reason for it is self-defense.

Yet it seems you would have the U.S. attempt to deny that to the Israelis.

Ok, see where did I write that? I didn't. It is not self-defense to attack someone because of what you think they MIGHT do. Every country , every individual on this planet has the right to self-defense. Israel can do what it wants to do. But if it wants US tax dollars, military tech, UN vetos, etc then it needs to listen to the US.

Hardly. The wider troubles in the Middle East have always been connected to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, directly or indirectly. Often at the insistence of the dictators in the Arab countries surrounding them. Israel has always been the perfect scapegoat. And there's the irony. You have a small, democratic, free nation in Israel surrounded by one basket-case, tyrant-led regime after another and it's Israel who is made out to be the bad guy and the bully.

Again, this is a separate issue from Iran. Before the war on Iraq some of the same people that are now calling for war on Iran justified the removal of Hussein as dictator on the grounds that that would take the air out of the Palestinian national movement. It didn't and just showed that they didn't understand what was going on. Try tellling a Palestinian that Israel is democratic and free. Israel is an ethnic democracy. It is not a democracy for the residents of the West Bank or Gaza. They have been under military occupation longer than I've been alive. They are being forced off their land in a manner quite similar to what happened to the Cherokee, the Algonquin, the Ute, the Comanche, etc.

but it's not the Palestinians who are building settlements and kicking out the Israelis.

No, it's the Palestinians who (via Arafat) turned their nose up at a plum deal in the Oslo Accords. It's the Palestinians who chose a terrorist group (Hamas) as their government. A group which is funded in part by Iran. A group with whom peace will never be possible because they will never recognize Israel.

Just not true. The PA recognized Israel. What did they get? More settlements. You can not negotiate over how to share a pizza when one side is steadily gobbling it up. The new Israeli demand is that the Palestinians must formally recognize Israel as a Jewish state, which is something that is simply impossible for any self-respecting Palestinian to do. And that so-called plum deal wasn't that -it was a codification of "Palestine" as a collection of bantustan like reservations. Gush Shalom had a very good analysis of the offer. Israel doesn't recognize any Palestinian state.

I don't think a two-state solution is even possible at this point. The settlements in the West Bank are simply too entrenched. As the fortuitously leaked Wikileaks documents made clear Israel had zero intention of allowing anything approaching an independent Palestinian state-Israel would maintain border control, air space control, communications control, the right to arrest or kill whoever they wanted, etc-all things no state could tolerate.

The only solution is a non-sectarian state with equal rights for all, special rights for none with protections for religious or ethnic minorities.One person, one vote. There is already one state in existence-it's just that some people-those living under military occupation and those with the wrong religion inside the 1967 borders-have fewer rights than others. This is unsustainable. People who are Israel's friends recognize this.

The underlying tone in your posts makes it sound like Israel is just itching to attack Iran - as if they get any benefit whatsoever out of that. Yes, Israel can take care of itself. But, again, it sounds like you are more or less saying they should not do anything and just hope that sanity in Iran prevails. You're falling into that same spin where Israel is made out to be the bad guy and I-freaking-ran is the victim. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems you simply couldn't care less if Israel was wiped out by a nuclear attack tomorrow. Or maybe you're willing to offer Israel up in order to placate the jihad nutjobs?

Gee, like that's not an unfair projection. Let's be clear. I don't want to see anyone wiped out by a nuclear attack. I don't think that anyone's life is worth less than anyone else's.
That is true of people in Iran, Israel, the West Bank, Gaza and the entire planet.
Pre-emptive war is immoral. Murdering Iranian scientists and their families is immoral.
People have to find a way to live together without killing each other or claiming land that someone else is already living on. Period.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #627484
01/02/12 02:55 PM
01/02/12 02:55 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
I despise that "invented people" argument used on the Palestinians, since that logic can be thrown back on the Israelis. Neither existed before WW2. Both were "national inventions" of the 20th century (along with Iraqis, Jordanians, most African countries, etc.)

Ivyleague, what do you think about the ultra-Orthodox in Israel wanting to ban Christmas trees, implement public sex segregation, wanting to ban women from billboards in Jerusalem, and other dickhead moves of imposing their will on everybody else?

My favorite? Influencing the government to run PSA TV ads telling citizens not to marry American Jews or else risk losing their jewishness that is only found in Israel. (Good to know our allies consider America to be a cauldron of unpurity. At least the Middle East all together finally agree on something apparently.)

~No wonder the Ultra-Orthodox and the Evangelical Neocons love each other. They deserve each other.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #627905
01/04/12 07:30 PM
01/04/12 07:30 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Is Obama's Strategy on Iran working?

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/01/02/iran-spits-nails-as-sanctions-bite/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WalterRussellMead+%28Walter+Russell+Mead%27s+Blog%29

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #627934
01/05/12 01:52 AM
01/05/12 01:52 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
EU is on the verge of slapping oil purchase sanctions on Iran, and days after Iran threatened to blockade the Strait of Hormuz, two American Navy ships (1 an aircraft carrier) sailed through the Hormuz.

(Translation: Go fuck yourself.)

clap

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #628264
01/07/12 01:28 AM
01/07/12 01:28 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
ARABIAN SEA (Jan. 5, 2012) A visit, board, search and seizure team, assigned to the guided-missile destroyer USS Kidd (DDG 100), board the Iranian-flagged fishing dhow Al Molai. Kidd's visit, board, search and seizure team detained 15 suspected pirates, who were holding a 13-member Iranian crew hostage for the last two months, according to the members of the crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEFKv5EY2Sw&feature=youtu.be

Thank you. smile This is the very same ship Iran threatened not to come back to the Persian Gulf. frown

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: War with Iran? [Re: Lilo] #628335
01/07/12 09:31 PM
01/07/12 09:31 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The PA recognized Israel. What did they get? More settlements.

After Arafat died in 2005, leaving his family in Switzerland richer by the ~$2 billion he embezzled from the Palestinian Authority, Mahmoud Abbas became head of the PA. He seemed to be a man interested in peace, so the Israelis returned Gaza to the PA--in the process ousting some 9,000 Jewish settlers, so the Gazans wouldn't be troubled by any Jews in their midst. The Gazans immediately ousted the PA and installed Hamas, an Islamic terrorist organization whose charter quotes the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion," and is dedicated to Israel's destruction. What did Israel get? 7,000 rockets rained on Israel, and scores of injuries and deaths.
Quote:
The new Israeli demand is that the Palestinians must formally recognize Israel as a Jewish state, which is something that is simply impossible for any self-respecting Palestinian to do.

Does that invalidate the Islamic Republics of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran and Mauritius? Or is it only a Jewish state that's impossible to recognize? By that measure, why would any "self-respecting" American recognize a Communist state like China? Or, during the Cold War, the USSR and all its Communist satellites?

The reality is that Israel has formal relations with Mauritius. And, at various times, Israel has provided military and economic aid to Iran (during the Iraq/Iran war), Pakistan and Afghanistan.

BTW: Israelis are not an "invented people." Israel's history long precedes Christianity and Islam. Ca. 1000BCE, King David unified the kingdoms of Judea and Israel into a strong nation that endured for 400 years, was conquered and then restored. Jews remained in the Holy Land even after the Romans destroyed the Second Temple in 70 CE. As far back as 200 years ago, Jews were an absolute majority in Jerusalem. And, until the late Seventies, Jews from Middle Eastern countries (who were expelled from Egypt, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and other Muslim nations following the '48 and '56 wars) were an absolute majority of Israeli citizens.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: Turnbull] #628338
01/07/12 11:24 PM
01/07/12 11:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
TB, I completely agree with your post. When the Palestinians accomplish democracy and gain control of terrorist groups such as Hamas, the Al Aqsa Martyrs, and Hezbollah, then they may enjoy my favor. Until then, I support Israel pretty much competely. Other than being a human occupyng part of this planet, I currently have nothing in common with Palestinians. Given the Israelis embrace and practice of democracy, I have everything in common with them.

Last edited by olivant; 01/07/12 11:25 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #628344
01/08/12 12:08 AM
01/08/12 12:08 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: olivant
TB, I completely agree with your post. When the Palestinians accomplish democracy and gain control of terrorist groups such as Hamas, the Al Aqsa Martyrs, and Hezbollah, then they may enjoy my favor. Until then, I support Israel pretty much competely. Other than being a human occupyng part of this planet, I currently have nothing in common with Palestinians. Given the Israelis embrace and practice of democracy, I have everything in common with them.

It's one thing to support an ally, but mindless allegiance? I'm reminded of the current GOP national candidates tripping over themselves to insist that we go in total sync with Tel Aviv, whatever they want, we'll do.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 01/08/12 12:15 AM.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #628346
01/08/12 12:18 AM
01/08/12 12:18 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
So you're fine with Tel Aviv arguing that American Jews aren't real Jews?

Absolutism doesn't achieve absolution.

I'm completely fine with it. They can be as absolute as they want about it. It doesn't affect my support for the democracy that is Israel and my expectations that Palestinians adhere to those standards of democracy if they want my support.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #628347
01/08/12 12:34 AM
01/08/12 12:34 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee

I'm completely fine with it. They can be as absolute as they want about it. It doesn't affect my support for the democracy that is Israel and my expectations that Palestinians adhere to those standards of democracy if they want my support.

Very true. They are the "true" Jews after all.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Turnbull] #628348
01/08/12 12:37 AM
01/08/12 12:37 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

BTW: Israelis are not an "invented people." Israel's history long precedes Christianity and Islam. Ca. 1000BCE, King David unified the kingdoms of Judea and Israel into a strong nation that endured for 400 years, was conquered and then restored. Jews remained in the Holy Land even after the Romans destroyed the Second Temple in 70 CE. As far back as 200 years ago, Jews were an absolute majority in Jerusalem. And, until the late Seventies, Jews from Middle Eastern countries (who were expelled from Egypt, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and other Muslim nations following the '48 and '56 wars) were an absolute majority of Israeli citizens.

With that logic, American Jews are actually Israelis. Same with Jews in Canada, Australia, Norway, Brazil...

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Turnbull] #628350
01/08/12 01:25 AM
01/08/12 01:25 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
The new Israeli demand is that the Palestinians must formally recognize Israel as a Jewish state, which is something that is simply impossible for any self-respecting Palestinian to do.

Does that invalidate the Islamic Republics of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran and Mauritius? Or is it only a Jewish state that's impossible to recognize? By that measure, why would any "self-respecting" American recognize a Communist state like China? Or, during the Cold War, the USSR and all its Communist satellites?

Lilo was talking about Palestinians, not Americans. They would hardly have peace, till everyone there agrees to some compromise. And as theological governments go, if you want to put Israel alongside Islamic Republics of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran and Mauritius, it says a lot. Find me one theological government that doesn't stink when it comes to human rights.

A Jewish person here in Iran, wouldn't have the same rights as a Muslim, and the same goes for a Muslim in a Jewish state. Why not a secular state everywhere, where people are respected as human beings, with equal rights for all regardless of their religion?

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: War with Iran? [Re: afsaneh77] #628378
01/08/12 07:29 AM
01/08/12 07:29 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Quote:

Lilo was talking about Palestinians, not Americans. They would hardly have peace, till everyone there agrees to some compromise. And as theological governments go, if you want to put Israel alongside Islamic Republics of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran and Mauritius, it says a lot. Find me one theological government that doesn't stink when it comes to human rights.

A Jewish person here in Iran, wouldn't have the same rights as a Muslim, and the same goes for a Muslim in a Jewish state. Why not a secular state everywhere, where people are respected as human beings, with equal rights for all regardless of their religion?

Exactly. That will be the only solution.

As we speak there are new settlements being built. That makes peace impossible. We can't have peace with one side accepting the other's narrative as 100% legitimate, which is what the demand to recognize Israel as a Jewish state is. What would that mean for the 20% of Israelis who are non-Jewish?

The settlements are too well entrenched. Again there's been a military occupation and increasing settlements since 1967. Whether people like it or not there are different peoples there. The only fix is a secular state with equal voting rights for everyone regardless of their ethnicity or religion. Nothing else is tenable.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: Lilo] #628409
01/08/12 01:27 PM
01/08/12 01:27 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The ~20 percent of non-Jewish Israeli citizens have the same set of rights as the Jewish citizens. Israel is the only nation in the Middle East that grants full rights to every citizen, male and female, regardless of religious belief. Two other points:

Israel is a Jewish state, but it is not a theocracy in the way that some Christian and Muslim states are. The early Zionists were mostly atheists or agnostics. What they had in mind for a Jewish state was a state with a Jewish majority because they knew all too well what happened to Jews in every nation where they were a minority.

There are good reasons for people to oppose settlements. A lot of Israelis do, because settlements run the risk of creating a "Greater Israel" in which Jews would be a minority; and because settlements are often the pet cause of the religious lunatics, who are just as much a plague in Israel as they are in Islamic countries. But what's most irritating is why Israel is singled out for criticism, while no one says a word about the Chinese occupation of Tibet, the Indian occupation of Goa, the Ethiopians in Eritrea, the Russian troops in Estonia--and the US occupation of Guantanamo.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Turnbull] #628410
01/08/12 01:43 PM
01/08/12 01:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
You beat me to it TB. I was going to point out that the 1+ million non-jewish people in Israel have the same rights as the jewish people there.

However, statehood for the palestinians will never get my support until they demonstrate that such a state will be a democracy and not a puppet state for the plethora of terrorist organizations that populate the middle east and also demonstrate that their thinking is a product of the 21st century and not the 6th century.

Last edited by olivant; 01/08/12 03:15 PM.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #628414
01/08/12 03:00 PM
01/08/12 03:00 PM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Its not "war" its Genocide,has nothing to do with nuclear shi*s only OIL,OIL and OIL.Same thing US did in Libya,u should take a look how people in Libya lived before with Gaddafi,and how they live now,when US came with their "democracy".They did same in my country back to 90's.Kids died mostly they throw bombs on hospitals etc. N.A.T.O - North American Terrorist Organisation.I love people in US but their politicans are awful and i hate them!

Last edited by Strax; 01/08/12 03:01 PM.

"A fish with his mouth closed never get's caught"
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #628417
01/08/12 03:07 PM
01/08/12 03:07 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
There is an inherent conflict between a state that privileges someone based on their accident of birth and one that is a full democracy. Increasingly Israelis themselves are discussing this openly.

Israeli Arab citizens don't enjoy all the same rights as the majority. The most apparent difference is the ability to buy a house where they want to. The Admissions Committee laws are still on the books AFAIK. Laws

I think most people on the planet want the same things for themselves and their children. I don't think we can or should say prove to me that you're decent before you're allowed to have a state.

But getting back to Iran.. Panetta remarks

Winter is Coming

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Lilo] #628502
01/09/12 03:18 PM
01/09/12 03:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
A nuclear-armed Iran would not only be an existential threat to Israel, it would destabilize the entire region. Arab countries are more afraid of Iran than of Israel. If Iran gets nukes, then Saudi Arabia, Syria and Egypt will break all records to develop theirs, and others might follow them. Then the world will face nukes all across the most volatile region in the world.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #628504
01/09/12 03:26 PM
01/09/12 03:26 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Very true TB. Of course, the proliferation of nuclear arms increases the possibility of their misuse.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #628554
01/09/12 09:28 PM
01/09/12 09:28 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Will Iran Lash Out at Weak Israel?

Quote:
Certainly, the recent standoff with the United States has damaged Iran’s deterrence posture. In less than a week, Khamenei challenged Obama twice and lost out on both occasions. First there was the threat that “not a drop of oil will pass through the Strait of Hormuz” if new sanctions are imposed by the U.S. and others. But sanctions were imposed anyway, with no apparent consequences. This move was followed by another threat, with the Islamic Republic this time vowing to take action “if the U.S. Navy moves an aircraft carrier into the Gulf.” Within hours, though, the U.S. government met that challenge by stating that it would keep sending carrier strike groups through the Persian Gulf regardless of the threats.

But while the potential international fallout of all this has been discussed, there’s been virtually no comment on the domestic implications of Khamenei’s loss of face. The reality is that the Iranian regime needs to show muscle abroad. Failure to do so could be interpreted as a sign of weakness by its opponents at home, and could even create division among the leadership’s supporters.

http://the-diplomat.com/2012/01/07/will-iran-lash-out-at-weak-israel/

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #628920
01/11/12 05:30 PM
01/11/12 05:30 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Quote:

The basic question is: How do attack advocates propose to stop the Iranian nuclear program if Tehran refuses to roll over after one round of attacks? There are two logical responses to this question. One is regime change, presumably through invasion. But there are significant downsides to invasion, not least that such a war would likely prove protracted and costly. Attack advocates such as Kroenig effectively concede that the American people are unlikely to support this course.

The other is that the United States should be prepared to conduct repeated strikes over a long period of time to ensure the Iranian nuclear program is kept down. Unsurprisingly, Kroenig and others shy away from this answer, as it is a recipe for perpetual war.

The cost in lives, resources and America’s international reputation would be formidable, especially if done without diplomatic cover and international support that probably wouldn’t be forthcoming. Yet, even under the most favorable conditions in which Iranian retaliation stayed limited and international support was forthcoming, a long-term, limited-strike campaign might not work at a level of effort and damage in line with U.S. aims.

http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/why-not-attack-iran-6352

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #629002
01/12/12 03:46 AM
01/12/12 03:46 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Iranian scientist involved in nuclear program killed in Tehran bomb attack
By Thomas Erdbrink and Joby Warrick
January 11, 2012

TEHRAN — A scientist linked to Iran’s nuclear program was killed in his car by a bomb-wielding assailant on Wednesday, a bold rush-hour attack that experts say points to a further escalation in a covert campaign targeting the country’s atomic officials and institutions.

The precision hit in a northern Tehran neighborhood killed the 32-year-old chemical engineer employed at Iran’s main uranium-enrichment facility and brought to four the number of Iranian scientists killed by bombs in the past two years. No one asserted responsibility for the bombing, which prompted a swirl of accusations and denials as well as renewed concerns about worsening tensions between Iran and the West.

Iranian officials immediately accused the United States and Israel of orchestrating the attack on scientist Mostafa Ahmadi-Roshan, who was killed along with his bodyguard when an assailant on a motorcycle slapped a magnetic bomb on his car as he commuted to work, according to Iranian news reports. Vice President Mohammad Reza Rahimiblamed the attack on “Zionists” and “those who claim they are against terrorism,” the semiofficial Fars News Agency reported.

The Obama administration denied involvement in the attack and distanced itself from the kind of lethal tactics used to kill the scientist.

“I want to categorically deny any United States involvement in any kind of act of violence inside Iran,” Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton told reporters shortly after the bombing was reported.

Israeli officials declined to address Iranian accusations linking Israeli intelligence operatives to the hit. “It is not our policy to comment on this sort of speculation when it periodically arises,” an Israeli official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity under government ground rules.

But the series of attacks against scientists — all of them employed in fields or institutions relevant to Iran’s nuclear program — underscored the perception of a sophisticated covert campaign to disrupt Iran’s nuclear efforts and intimidate key officials and scientists, according to security analysts and Iran experts. The killing bore strong resemblance to two 2010 attacks on nuclear scientists and came on the same day as a ceremony for the second anniversary of the killing of another professor, Massoud Ali Mohammadi, in an explosion.

The scientists’ deaths are part of a pattern of attacks and apparent sabotage. In recent years, Iran has experienced an increase in mysterious explosions at military and industrial sites and gas transportation lines. A computer virus called Stuxnet also has damaged the nation’s nuclear program.

“The idea clearly is to try to disrupt operations that could lead to a nuclear weapon, and to make their scientists feel less secure and less capable of doing their work,” said David Albright, a former U.N. weapons inspector and president of the Institute for Science and International Security.

Some current and former government officials worried that the tactics could backfire, bolstering Iran’s resolve to defy the West.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/iran...V7pP_story.html

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #629004
01/12/12 04:01 AM
01/12/12 04:01 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Don't f@#% with the Mossad. whistle

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #629046
01/12/12 01:22 PM
01/12/12 01:22 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
It never ends. You can't bring peace to people who don't want peace. And therein lies the problem.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: pizzaboy] #629048
01/12/12 01:27 PM
01/12/12 01:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
It never ends. You can't bring peace to people who don't want peace. And therein lies the problem.

But PB, what constitutes people? Iran's population is 70+ million. Over the past few years some of them have demonstrated their dissatisfaction with their government. So, obviously, there can be cleavage with Iran's population about their international relations.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: pizzaboy] #629051
01/12/12 01:32 PM
01/12/12 01:32 PM
Scotland UK
gemini_killer Offline
Capo
gemini_killer  Offline
Capo
Scotland UK

this guys gonna be a problem...I say shoot him, and everybody that looks like him..

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn. -Frank White

You say your 72, if they come back and tell me to give you a message - and if you want to defy it ... I assure you that you will never reach 73 - Joey "the clown" Lombardo
Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #629054
01/12/12 01:36 PM
01/12/12 01:36 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

But PB, what constitutes people? Iran's population is 70+ million. Over the past few years some of them have demonstrated their dissatisfaction with their government. So, obviously, there can be cleavage with Iran's population about their international relations.

Well sure. I actually believe the extremists are the minority, but they're the ones capable of the most heinous acts. It only took 19 guys to bring down the Twin Towers.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #629142
01/12/12 07:42 PM
01/12/12 07:42 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee

Don't f@#% with the Mossad. whistle

I believe it's perfectly possible to suspect that Tel Aviv maybe didn't necessarily pull the trigger. Possible? Sure ofcourse. But I could say the same of Tehran's enemies like the Gulf States, America, etc.

Originally Posted By: gemini_killer

this guys gonna be a problem...I say shoot him, and everybody that looks like him..

And if an invasion and occupation are the only way to solve this "problem"?

More and more, I think people who believe simply throwing bombs will be enough to forcibly remove that nuclear scenario are naive.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #629146
01/12/12 07:56 PM
01/12/12 07:56 PM
Frosty Offline
BANNED
Frosty  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Back in the 60's some made love , smoked dope , got wet, while others gave thar lives ! No Fucken War makes sense, or the killen on both sides ! It all sucks ! The ones who have to fight it GO ! While the ones who drew the first blood are home enjoying the nice warm bed .

Just Sayen ! If anyone has the answer to all this shit. Hell they might be as good as Steve Jobs confused I sure as the hell wish I had it !

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #629246
01/13/12 06:07 AM
01/13/12 06:07 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Quote:
With yet another Iranian nuclear scientist freshly assassinated--presumably by Israel--Jeffrey Goldberg asks a good question: Why is Israel doing this?

Goldberg thinks the most common answers are less than compelling. It's unlikely, he says, that "Iranian nuclear knowledge is so concentrated in the minds of a few scientists" that these killings are a major setback to the nuclear program. And he doubts that the killings will scare much Iranian talent out of the nuclear science business, since the Iranian government wouldn't tolerate such an exodus.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international...entists/251271/

Winter is Coming

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull