GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, 1 invisible), 105 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,353
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,214
Posts1,056,171
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Family Corleone #602180
05/05/11 03:52 PM
05/05/11 03:52 PM
Don Sicilia Offline OP
Don Sicilia  Offline OP

The New York Times reports that a prequel to the original titled The Family Corleone will be published some time next year. Source material reportedly comes from an unpublished Puzo screenplay.

Interesting...

May 4, 2011, 12:25 pm The Godfather, Before He Was
By JULIE BOSMAN

Paramount Pictures
“The Family Corleone,” a prequel, by Ed Falco, to the “The Godfather,” written by Mario Puzo, will be published next year. Above, Marlon Brando as Don Corleone in “The Godfather.”How did the Don become the Don? A new prequel to “The Godfather” promises to explain the “unknown history” of how Vito Corleone rose to power in Depression-era New York. Grand Central Publishing, part of the Hachette Book Group, announced on Wednesday that it would publish “The Family Corleone,” a book based on a screenplay by Mario Puzo, in June of next year. Mr. Puzo died in 1999, but the book has the blessing of his estate. “The Family Corleone” was written by Ed Falco, the author of three novels and the winner of a Pushcart Prize. “The Godfather” was first published in 1969 and has sold more than 21 million copies.

(My apologies if this book is discussed elsewhere. You all know I rarely venture out of the fantasy sports threads. tongue )

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #602227
05/06/11 10:04 AM
05/06/11 10:04 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I wonder if it is based on the script that Puzo may have been working on for Part IV? IIRC, that was going to have flashback scenes of a young Sonny, which would include the rise of the Corleone family to power.

Either way, I am looking forward to this book, even if the Winegardner novels lowered the bar for future Godfather themed books.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #602245
05/06/11 12:05 PM
05/06/11 12:05 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
And this time it's an Italian writer.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #602253
05/06/11 01:00 PM
05/06/11 01:00 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
It can't be any worse than the Winegardner books, and I'm sure we'll all read it. But I think the description of the book may be incorrect because we already know how Vito got to be Don Vito.

My guess is that it's going to cover the "lost years" in between the war of the '30s (covered in the novel, where Sonny took control of a regime), and Connie's wedding in 1945.

It's roughly a ten or twelve year period, so there's plenty of time to cover in book form. If it's really based on an old Puzo idea, it should be worth reading on that basis alone.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #602280
05/06/11 05:59 PM
05/06/11 05:59 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Personally, I am really looking forward to this novel. Hopefully, Falco has learned something from the Winegardner mistakes and finally gives us GF fans & the franchise a much needed shot in the arm. It has been too long since we had anything good & new to sink our teeth into.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #613185
08/31/11 11:49 AM
08/31/11 11:49 AM
Georgia, USA
D
DonRobertoCorleone Offline
Button
DonRobertoCorleone  Offline
D
Button
Georgia, USA
Yeah i cant wait until it comes out. By the way when is it out?

DonRobertoCorleone
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: DonRobertoCorleone] #615790
09/26/11 10:34 PM
09/26/11 10:34 PM
A
Abruzzese Offline
Associate
Abruzzese  Offline
A
Associate
I've heard different reports circulating about the plot of this novel. One is that it covers Vito's rise to power, presumably the "lost years". Another is that it might cover Antonio Andolini and his conflict with Don Francesco, the rise of the mafia in Sicily, etc. Or maybe it will cover Vincent's reign as Don. Who knows.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Abruzzese] #615938
09/28/11 02:05 PM
09/28/11 02:05 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Here's a little Q&A I found with the author. There's a few hints about what the upcoming novel will be about.

Q&A with Ed Falco

How long has The Family Corleone been in the works?

About one year. I wrote the bulk of it last summer, working eight hours days. During the school year my life is tied up with academic work, so I worked hard on the manuscript during breaks, weekends, etc. Because of that, it's hard to say exactly how long it took to write, but the whole project has been in process about one year.

What inspired this work?

My agent asked me to consider writing a sequel to The Godfather way back in 2001 or so. I wasn't interested in popular fiction at that time, and I declined to be considered. A couple of years ago, I got interested in writing popular fiction. My agent, Neil Olson, knew this, and thought of me again when a deal was signed for the prequel. He called and asked if I would be interested and this time I jumped at it. (Neil represented Mario Puzo, and now he represents the Puzo family.)

When did you read the unproduced screenplay by Puzo?

I read the pages extracted from The Godfather III and IV (unproduced) before I agreed to take on the novel.

What will we learn that is new about the Corleone family tree?

There's one big surprise, but I can't tell.

Does this novel contain references to "real" people?

Yes. The novel is largely set in 1933-1934, as prohibition is coming to an end. Mayor LaGuardia's presence hovers over the novel as a counterpoint to the gangsterism that is the focus to the story. Other historical figures, especially crime figures, including Al Capone and Dutch Shultz turn up, too.

Will there be a strong female character, something lacking in the works of Puzo?

There are two important female characters, Carmella Corleone (Mama Corleone) and Kelly O'Rourke, Luca Brasi's girlfriend. Carmella gets more attention in my novel than she has in the past, and she's "strong" in a manner that's believable for her time and place.

There are quite a few books tied into this franchise, how will yours break from the pack?

I explore some issues that haven't been previously explored. Most significant is the relationship between Luca Brasi and Vito Corleone. Neither of the movies really explain much about Luca, about why he's so loyal to Vito and so feared by others. The first section of The Family Corleone focuses on that. I also take a closer look at Sonny and his entry into the family than anyone has before.

Which current actor do you imagine portraying the young Vito Corleone in your book?

I have no idea. That brilliant cast of the Godfather movies owns my imagination when I think of the Godfather saga. If there's a movie, casting is going to be a challenge.

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2011/05/050611-clahs-falcogodfather.html

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #616504
10/05/11 12:05 AM
10/05/11 12:05 AM
A
Abruzzese Offline
Associate
Abruzzese  Offline
A
Associate
Wow! "One big surprise" about the Corleone family tree? I wonder what it could be? Sounds very interesting...

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #616523
10/05/11 05:33 AM
10/05/11 05:33 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Vincent wasn't really Sonny's kid, he was Michael's! wink

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #616748
10/07/11 11:23 AM
10/07/11 11:23 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Vincent wasn't really Sonny's kid, he was Michael's! wink

Or that Fredo and his gay lover adopted Vincent. grin

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #627624
01/03/12 02:37 AM
01/03/12 02:37 AM
JJ_Gittes Offline
Wiseguy
JJ_Gittes  Offline
Wiseguy
As the author mentions that he's partly basing the book on Puzo's unproduced screenplay for GFIV, there's some small hints here, in a FFC interview from 2007:

MTV: "Godfather IV" was talked about, it seems, at one time. You and Mario Puzo — is this true? — went to Paramount and said, "We're interested, we'll do it," and they said, "We're not interested."

Coppola: I never thought making a second "Godfather" made sense to me. ... I thought the end of the first "Godfather" film was the end of it. Michael has become what he's become. He's paid a terrible price for it, and that's the point. The last shot of closing his wife out was the end. So when they wanted a second "Godfather," it was just to make money. ... It was the beginning of this franchise mentality, so I resisted it. ... But I was working on an original idea of ... telling a story of a father and a son at the same age ... two stories paralleling. They prevailed on me so much that I said, "Well, I'll do it, but I'll have total control, and I'll make it be this story and work it into 'The Godfather.' " When that was done — miracle of miracles that it was well-received; like anything, it could have gone as bad as gone right — then I was done with it.

Many years later, after "One From the Heart," after [accumulating] huge debt, unbelievable debt for a young guy, the chance to do "Godfather III" was a chance for me to get out of my problems, and I did it as best I knew how. ... And then there was talk of a fourth "Godfather." And I had an idea of how you could do it, oddly enough, again paralleling two stories because it was a big part of the book that had never been made — it was the period sort of between the old period in "Godfather II" and when you see Marlon Brando in "The Godfather." Mario called it the "happy years" — when we killed them and they didn't kill us. [He laughs.]

And Mario was very concerned to make money because he was getting older and he really wanted to leave his kids well-fixed, and I said to Paramount, "Look it, we have an idea of a structure of this thing. Pay Mario Puzo a million dollars to do this first draft, and I'll help him and work with him. You don't have to pay me anything. But he's getting old, and he's not entirely well." And they basically didn't do it. And then he died.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1576410/francis-ford-coppola-on-godfather-iv.jhtml

The Family Corleone, aka 'The Godfather Part IV: The Happy Years'?

Amazon listing:

Publication Date: May 8, 2012

New York, 1933. The city and the nation are in the depths of the Great Depression. The crime families of New York have prospered in this time, but with the coming end of Prohibition, a battle is looming that will determine which organizations will rise and which will face a violent end.
For Vito Corleone, nothing is more important that his family's future. While his youngest children, Michael, Fredo, and Connie, are in school, unaware of their father's true occupation, and his adopted son Tom Hagen is a college student, he worries most about Sonny, his eldest child. Vito pushes Sonny to be a businessman, but Sonny-17 years-old, impatient and reckless-wants something else: To follow in his father's footsteps and become a part of the real family business.
An exhilarating and profound novel of tradition and violence, of loyalty and betrayal, The Family Corleone will appeal to the legions of fans who can never get enough of The Godfather, as well as introduce it to a whole new generation.

Last edited by JJ_Gittes; 01/03/12 04:12 AM.
Re: The Family Corleone [Re: JJ_Gittes] #627714
01/03/12 06:17 PM
01/03/12 06:17 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Sounds good. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be another Winegardner shit fest. Doesn't sound like it will, though. Can't wait for May!!!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #627715
01/03/12 06:19 PM
01/03/12 06:19 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Agreed. Like I stated above, I can't wait to see this new GF endeavor. This can easily be the GF4 we have all been wanting for sooo long!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Mark] #627819
01/04/12 11:31 AM
01/04/12 11:31 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Originally Posted By: Mark
Agreed. Like I stated above, I can't wait to see this new GF endeavor. This can easily be the GF4 we have all been wanting for sooo long!

At least the stuff having to do with Sonny.

I do think at some point a writer will tackle the post III story with Vincent and the remaining Corleone family.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #627903
01/04/12 07:22 PM
01/04/12 07:22 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger
Originally Posted By: Mark

At least the stuff having to do with Sonny.

I do think at some point a writer will tackle the post III story with Vincent and the remaining Corleone family.

I sure hope so!

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #628015
01/05/12 02:47 PM
01/05/12 02:47 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I notice that most of the veteran members stay awfully quiet about this, and for good reasons. I think nobody want's another Joey Za.. I mean Winegardner sort of novel.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #628087
01/05/12 06:19 PM
01/05/12 06:19 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
I notice that most of the veteran members stay awfully quiet about this, and for good reasons. I think nobody want's another Joey Za.. I mean Winegardner sort of novel.

I noticed that too, Sonny. I think its a case of once bitten twice shy?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #639342
03/11/12 01:22 AM
03/11/12 01:22 AM
R
RichCerto Offline
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline
R
Wiseguy
Here's an NPR interview with Ed Falco, author of The Family Corleone, the prequel to The Godfather. The novel is due out May 8 from Grand Central, but Paramount has filed a lawsuit trying to prevent it from being published. Paramount may be angling for a good deal on film rights, but no one knows for sure what's going on.

http://withgoodreasonradio.org/2012/03/the-offer-he-couldnt-refuse/

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #639423
03/11/12 03:10 PM
03/11/12 03:10 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Early reviews:

Falco’s depiction of Vito Corleone captures both the cool reserve of young Vito and the insight he demonstrates as Don. A worthy addition to the lurid world of the Five Families.
–– Kirkus

“…channels the original so well that readers will be vividly reminded of Puzo’s strengths . . . His moments of blam-blam-blam are ace. Best of all, he supplies a grand set-piece finale--a parade-that will leave readers dreaming of just one more movie.
–– Booklist

Falco’s solid Godfather prequel fills in the backstory of the iconic New York City Mafia family . . . Puzo fans will find this a refreshing change..."
–– Publisher’s Weekly

I can't help but think this may finally be a good addition to the original novel, and if true, could be considered canon. I suspect Paramount just want's a cut of the action. I would be suprised if the novel won't see the light of day.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #639482
03/11/12 11:05 PM
03/11/12 11:05 PM
R
RichCerto Offline
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline
R
Wiseguy
Publisher's Weekly, pre-publication review:

Falco’s solid Godfather prequel fills in the backstory of the iconic New York City Mafia family . . . Puzo fans will find this a refreshing change from the inferior sequels, The Godfather Returns and The Godfather’s Revenge."
–– Publisher’s Weekly

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #639514
03/12/12 11:06 AM
03/12/12 11:06 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
In the interview Falco says that his main antagonist is named Giuseppe Maruposa. I suppose he used a different name for Salvatore Maranzano of the original novel. I can't think of why he did this. confused

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #639516
03/12/12 11:16 AM
03/12/12 11:16 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I can't help but think this may finally be a good addition to the original novel, and if true, could be considered canon. I suspect Paramount just want's a cut of the action. I would be suprised if the novel won't see the light of day.

If it's good, I have no problem accepting it as "canon." Because don't forget, it is based on one of Puzo's own outlines/screenplays.

I'm cautiosly optimistic.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #639620
03/12/12 08:58 PM
03/12/12 08:58 PM
R
RichCerto Offline
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline
R
Wiseguy
Maybe he changed the character to Guiseppe Mariposa because the novel is set in 1934, and Salvatore Maranzano is a real historical figure in the history of organized crime, and he died in 1931. Luciano and Lansky set up Maranzano after they learned that he had hired Mad Dog Coll to murder Luciano and Vito Genovese. In The Godfather, Puzo has Maranzano still alive in 1933, two years after he'd been killed. Maybe Falco figured better to avoid the historical inaccuracy and come up with a different character name.

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #639844
03/13/12 10:30 PM
03/13/12 10:30 PM
R
RichCerto Offline
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline
R
Wiseguy
Uh, oh. Another gang war:

http://bit.ly/wuEBwG

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #642653
04/04/12 03:48 AM
04/04/12 03:48 AM
United States
Hisenberg Offline
Button
Hisenberg  Offline
Button
United States
Originally Posted By: RichCerto
Uh, oh. Another gang war:

http://bit.ly/wuEBwG

how much money is enough for paramount?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Hisenberg] #642665
04/04/12 08:22 AM
04/04/12 08:22 AM
R
RichCerto Offline
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline
R
Wiseguy
Looks like The Family Corleone will be published on schedule, May 8th. This is from a newspaper article: "Both sequels met with indiff erence but that could change with the publication next month of The Family Corleone prequel novel on May 8. Authored by Ed Falco, it’s based on Puzo’s unproduced screenplay that delves more deeply into Vito Corleone’s rise through the criminal underworld during the 1930s Depression and how he became the most powerful Mafi a boss in New York. To get it published, Puzo’s children (three sons and two daughters) successfully stopped an injunction by Paramount."

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Don Sicilia] #642666
04/04/12 08:35 AM
04/04/12 08:35 AM
R
RichCerto Offline
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline
R
Wiseguy
The Family Corleone has a Facebook page where there's an animated cover that's pretty cool:
https://www.facebook.com/TheFamilyCorleone

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: RichCerto] #642762
04/05/12 12:00 PM
04/05/12 12:00 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: RichCerto
To get it published, Puzo’s children (three sons and two daughters) successfully stopped an injunction by Paramount."

Could you provide more details? Did they won the lawsuit?

Re: The Family Corleone [Re: Sonny_Black] #642820
04/05/12 07:47 PM
04/05/12 07:47 PM
R
RichCerto Offline
Wiseguy
RichCerto  Offline
R
Wiseguy
I don't know about the lawsuit, but the novel is definitely coming out May 8th. It's being promoted by Grand Central, and there's more promotion on the Facebook page. I quoted the line about the injunction from this newspaper article:

http://www.mmail.com.my/story/gangsters-and-godfather

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull