GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (joepuzzles234, Captbony1999), 115 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,359
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,218
Posts1,056,201
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #614851
09/17/11 10:24 AM
09/17/11 10:24 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Awesome......... smile

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #614906
09/18/11 07:16 AM
09/18/11 07:16 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI

Genre shows don't win Emmys. This isn't hyperbole so much as it’s an unfortunate trend. When you glance at the list of winners over the history of the awards, it becomes obvious that the Emmys love a prestige show with a glossy finish.

But this year that may change.

The latest longshot trying to buck this trend is "Game of Thrones" -- HBO's epic fantasy series nominated for Best Drama Series -- that celebrates its roots rather than hiding them away like some low IQ second cousin. Indeed, much of what makes "Game of Thrones" such a thrilling watch, especially for fans of fantasy, is its deep awareness of the genre's conventions.

The show has a tough task ahead of it if it hopes to win the category. The field is far from weak: Mad Men, the reigning champ, "Friday Night Lights," "Dexter," "The Good Wife," and HBO's own "Boardwalk Empire," are all up for the award.

According to Tom O'Neil -- author of a book on Emmys history and creator of awards-prediction site Gold Derby -- one of the challenges it faces is the awards show’s “snobbism.”

"The TV show that's won more than anything in history is about two uppity brothers squabbling over opera and red wine -- 'Frasier,'” O’Neil said. “When you get into a genre show like 'Game of Thrones,' all they see are all those severed body parts flying through the air and the unwashed barbarians running around and they go, 'Ew.’”

"Game of Thrones" -- based on the book series by George R. R. Martin -- has had widespread success, though, not just among skinny geeks in their mom's basements playing World of Warcraft, but with men and women of all stripes. The show has met with critical acclaim for both its finely drawn characters, and its bloody high-stakes action. “Game of Thrones” could be a breakthrough for other programs in the sci-fi/fantasy arena, which includes everything from the space drama of "Star Trek" to the mystical thriller of "Lost."

Or, it could end up yet another example of the Academy of Television Arts and Science's inability to recognize genre shows the same way they do realistic ones.

"Game of Thrones"' success thus far has been startling to those who know the awards, especially considering the number of nominations it's picked up. Aside from Best Drama, the show has been nominated in 12 other categories, including Best Supporting Actor for Peter Dinklage. "True Blood," when it was nominated two years ago, received only three other nods, in tech categories. In 1997, "The X-Files" garnered 14 nominations, winning three. "Lost" is perhaps the only thing close to a genre show ever to win the Best Drama award. Despite its mystical currents, it’s still a show about people of our world, shipwrecked on a classic desert island.

Fantasy and science-fiction tend to get a bad rap among critics, and not just in television. The genre bias extends across movies and literature as well, and has done so for many, many years. It's perhaps a holdover from the genre's genesis in the pulp magazines of the first half of the 20th century-- cheap, flashy stories printed on thin paper, read avariciously by young boys looking for a thrill.

"I think it has deep roots, going back a good 100 years or so," Lev Grossman, author of best-selling fantasy novel "The Magicians," said of the critical bias. "There's a cultural myth that because genre is heavily plotty, and because it is 'constrained' by genre conventions, and it's not realist, it's less meaningful."

In fact, when "Game of Thrones" debuted, a few reviews spent so much of their time insulting the genre that little space was reserved to discuss the actual merits of the show.

Troy Patterson of Slate called the show "quasi-medieval, dragon-ridden fantasy crap," which, he explained was not "a comment on its quality but a definition of its type. The reviewer happens to have an anti-weakness for that general sensibility."

Even more controversially, Gina Bellafante at The New York Times dismissed the show, and the books it is based on, as "boy fiction." After noting that while she did not "doubt that there are women in the world who read books like Mr. Martin’s," she concludes "if you are not averse to the Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic, the series might be worth the effort."

Of course, "Game of Throne"’s chances become stronger when some people, including HBO, seem willing to cast it as a historical drama rather than a fantasy. It has the requisite semi-medieval trappings -- knights and ladies and jousting, squabbling monarchs, heads on sticks -- but aside from a few eerie scenes in the woods (and the concluding scene of the season), the show wears its magic lightly. Rarely do wizards stand across from each other hurling spells. There are no trolls, no orcs, no elves.

"Game of Thrones" creators David Benioff and DB Weiss don’t entirely agree with this assessment.

"We always want to be honest about our genre and not pretend we’re somehow above it... There’s something hugely pretentious and crappy about that," they wrote in an email. "'Game of Thrones' is high fantasy."

The books, and the show, take the major tropes of the genre and turns them on their heads. The dragon eggs of the early episodes do indeed hatch into dragons. The feisty child-hero, the noble bastard child, the wise fool, the cruel queen, the just knight -- these are familiar characters to anyone who reads fantasy.

Many critics attribute "Game of Thrones"' success to the simple fact that it's a good show. The writing and acting are strong, the world is well-drawn, and above all, the characters are compelling. It's also hard to discount HBO's golden touch. In the same way that "The Sopranos" is not just a gangster show, and "Deadwood" not just a western, a fantasy done by HBO isn't just a fantasy. It's an HBO fantasy.

It helps that HBO, as a subscription channel, has the money and the time to devote to a show that requires both to compete with the sets and graphics typically seen on the big screen. The network also gets to ramp up the sex and violence to whatever level they deem appropriate to the show, not to the ratings system.

While some in the industry say that "The Lord of the Rings"'s 2003 Best Picture win opened minds around Hollywood to the possibilities of producing fantasy films, others note that few fantasies on the same scale have been made since. "Game of Thrones," a classic epic fantasy, returns to the same grand dimensions of Middle Earth, though Westeros is a grimmer, grittier world than Tolkien ever created.

It's a bold, but also boldly traditional narrative, with intensely detailed settings and captivating tensions -- a win would honor the fact that no other show on television can do what it has done. The show has already picked up one Emmy for its title sequence.

But even if it doesn't dazzle at the Emmys, fans can at least take solace in the knowledge that HBO has promised to continue making the show, as long as Martin writes the books.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/17/game-of-thrones-emmys_n_966166.html

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #614953
09/18/11 09:47 PM
09/18/11 09:47 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
peter dinklage won best supporting actor in a drama series

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #614968
09/19/11 05:26 AM
09/19/11 05:26 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Good for him. Maybe this will inspire more people to check out the show.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #617195
10/11/11 03:14 PM
10/11/11 03:14 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
I've watched this serie too. I love it as do my friends. Can't wait for Season 2!

Edit 1: especially because Carice van Houten is playing some kind of mage smile

Edit 2: (SPOILER in white) too bad Drogo isn't with us anymore

Last edited by M.M. Floors; 10/11/11 03:16 PM.
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: M.M. Floors] #617243
10/11/11 06:54 PM
10/11/11 06:54 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Originally Posted By: M.M. Floors
I've watched this serie too. I love it as do my friends. Can't wait for Season 2!

Edit 1: especially because Carice van Houten is playing some kind of mage smile

Edit 2: (SPOILER in white) too bad Drogo isn't with us anymore

Yeah, I liked her work in "Black Book" and "Black Death" (opposite Sean Bean ironically enough).

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #617245
10/11/11 07:11 PM
10/11/11 07:11 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #618097
10/20/11 09:53 PM
10/20/11 09:53 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Ive just started on this. Wow. Great stuff. I love the high fantasy idea and how it keeps switching your character perceptions; at first you can think "this guy/chick a dick/bitch", and then an episode or two later you're like "Actually said guy/chick is actually pretty damn cool", and vice versa

From what Ive watched so far, I can already say that Peter Dinklage deserves his award. I for one was quite surprised to learn he was born in NJ. Sean Bean does great in his role too. And it took me a bit to figure out where Id seen the guy before, but the guy that played Carcetti in The Wire is also in it.

When I saw Kall Drogo for the first time, I was like "WTF is Dave Navaro here for???" tongue grin

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618107
10/21/11 05:27 AM
10/21/11 05:27 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
Ive just started on this. Wow. Great stuff. I love the high fantasy idea and how it keeps switching your character perceptions; at first you can think "this guy/chick a dick/bitch", and then an episode or two later you're like "Actually said guy/chick is actually pretty damn cool", and vice versa

Yeah, Martin loves moral ambiguity.

From what Ive watched so far, I can already say that Peter Dinklage deserves his award. I for one was quite surprised to learn he was born in NJ. Sean Bean does great in his role too. And it took me a bit to figure out where Id seen the guy before, but the guy that played Carcetti in The Wire is also in it.

I like Dinklage. He's a perfect fit for the character. It would be interesting to know from the UK/NZ/Aust members if his accent is passable here. What's the last episode you've seen to this point?

When I saw Kall Drogo for the first time, I was like "WTF is Dave Navaro here for???" tongue grin

Good call on the resemblance. lol

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #618130
10/21/11 09:39 AM
10/21/11 09:39 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I was only up to the 5th ep when I made the post. Up to the 8th now and...whoa. This show gets better and better as it goes on.

FWIW, if you concentrate on it, you maybe pick up a slight, slight lapse here and there...but only if you concentrate on it. Overall, I think Dinklage fits in great amongst a predominantly English/Irish cast.

Man, I need to get the books. Its one of those things were you know the show(movie) is good, and you just know the book would expand and explain things so much better.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #618327
10/24/11 02:54 AM
10/24/11 02:54 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
OMFG. I need these books.

Drogo's speeches (Rider Who Will Mount The World!!" and "I Will NOT Give You That Honour.") Tyrion Lannister, Robb's march and Jon's vows, and that execution scene. I did NOT see that coming, call me naive or whatever. But these scenes gave me goosebumps.

Only thing that sucks? The 2nd series sounds like its still a way off. frown I will be picking up the books at the soonest possible date.

Daenyrys Targarean? Goddamn. I know the actress is a natural brunette, and maybe thats why her hair seems so ethereal and sexy.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618329
10/24/11 05:30 AM
10/24/11 05:30 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
OMFG. I need these books.

Drogo's speeches (Rider Who Will Mount The World!!" and "I Will NOT Give You That Honour.") Tyrion Lannister, Robb's march and Jon's vows, and that execution scene. I did NOT see that coming, call me naive or whatever. But these scenes gave me goosebumps.

Only thing that sucks? The 2nd series sounds like its still a way off. frown I will be picking up the books at the soonest possible date.

Daenyrys Targarean? Goddamn. I know the actress is a natural brunette, and maybe thats why her hair seems so ethereal and sexy.

Good deal, MMD.
I just finished book 5 and things never let up. shhh
Supposedly Martin is going to finish the series in 7 books, though I have my doubts.

HBO's season 2 is supposed to start some time in Spring 2012 (March? April?)

Ned's fate was a shocker in the books as well. Of course we get to see inside his head and get an idea of why he made some of the decisions he did. I thought Sean Bean did a pretty good job of displaying that. Ned is one of the VERY few unambiguously morally good characters. Martin plays for keeps. rolleyes

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #618331
10/24/11 06:27 AM
10/24/11 06:27 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Partial interview with GRRM with spoilers removed.

If George R.R. Martin thought he had a rabid fan base before, when each book in his best-selling fantasy series "A Song of Ice and Fire" was devoured by impatient readers, the success of the HBO adaptation Game of Thrones has raised the stakes considerably. We talked with Martin as he settled in after a long PR tour and got back to work on the next book in the series, The Winds of Winter.

What's your involvement with season two of Game of Thrones?
I wrote episode nine, "Blackwater." The show is currently filming in Northern Ireland. I'd love to be there watching it, but I'm so far behind on other things.

Which actors have taken the characters and brought something new and surprising to the mix, adding layers that weren't necessarily there when you created them?
I think we have in general a spectacular cast; our casting directors did an amazing job. Certainly Peter Dinklage did an amazing job with Tyrion, who is one of my favorite character in the books. We didn't even audition Peter. We always talked about him for the role. The same was true for Sean Bean — although we did audition a few people for the role — but we always wanted Sean and he was incredible in that role.

Another group that deserves special mention was the kids — it's very difficult to cast a kid. Our kids had to carry a very serious dramatic weight — we needed really good young actors. We got three terrific ones.

What's your biggest worry about the TV show as it gets deeper into the story?
There are certainly challenges that lie ahead, and as the show goes on, the challenges will get greater. I wanted to write a book as big as my imagination. Now David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] are faced with the very real challenge of how do you translate this complex thing with a cast of thousands and giant castles and dragons and walls of ice — serious production challenges that get bigger with every book. I think one of biggest challenges is budgets and shooting time. We had ten hours for the first season, and the same for the second. Boardwalk Empire has twelve, Treme has twelve — if we'd had two more hours we could have told a lot more of the story. Storm of Swords [the third book] is enormous and it will have to be broken up into two seasons, I think. But David and Dan are great people and they've assembled a great team, so if anyone can do it, they will.

The other thing that concerns me is what I call the butterfly effect. If you're familiar with the Ray Bradbury short story, you'll know what I mean. On TV, we saw the death of Mago, but we will see him in the books — he's still alive. It will have to be different in the book than in the show, because they killed him on TV. These are the kind of ripple effects that can happen.

How do you keep all of these details straight? Is there a huge encyclopedia or computer file that you use when you write?
It's mostly in my head. Elio Garcia [who runs Westeros.org] does seem to know Westeros better than I do. I'm beginning to wish I had never bothered with the color of people's eyes. [Editor's note: This is the subject of many convoluted fan conspiracy theories.] And that was one of the first things to go in the TV series — the purple contact lenses didn't look good on camera.

[If you've only watched the show but haven't read all the way through A Dance With Dragons, you might want to stop here. Spoilers ahead.]

I'll speak up for all of your impatient readers and ask: What are you working on these days, aside from the eagerly awaited The Winds of Winter?
The book tour took up a lot of time. I know some writers can write on the road, but I'm not one of them. I have about 100 pages done for the next book, which was mostly pages I had finished [for A Dance With Dragons] and decided to push back. I'll return to that in January.

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #618585
10/27/11 04:50 AM
10/27/11 04:50 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
So before I order an older book online, Ill raid all the local 2nd hand book shops first. Sometimes you strike lucky. Kinda like this time.

Found Clash of Kings for $7 bucks. A great copy, completely intact, still like new. Cheering

At first I was a bit annoyed that I was gonna start on the second one (cuz I knew I was going to read it anyway), but was happy to learn the start of it overlaps the end of the series. Plus, Im finding out what happened after the end of series one!

Spoiler Alert: It's awesome.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618587
10/27/11 05:12 AM
10/27/11 05:12 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Plus, Im finding out what happened after the end of series one!

Spoiler Alert: It's awesome.

lol Martin plays for keeps..but you know that already!

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #619714
11/08/11 12:36 AM
11/08/11 12:36 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
YES YES YES. AWESOMELY AWESOMELY AWESOME.

Found A Game of Thrones for $8. While Im a little dirty that Im reading the first one second and read the second one first, I dont mind too much. I did the same thing with King's Dark Tower series, and ended up reading it all again in order down the track. I can guarantee I'll be doing the same with this series.

Lilo, your reviews of the series and books went a fair way into convincing me to give it a shot. For that, Im infinitely grateful. smile smile smile

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #619731
11/08/11 06:20 AM
11/08/11 06:20 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
No problem MMB. Maybe write a review of your own to let us know what you thought? cool

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #619957
11/10/11 07:49 AM
11/10/11 07:49 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I've not much to say to what's already been said. But this serie is REALLY good and highly entertaining. It's as good as Lord of the Rings which is one of my favorite movies.

Never was I more eager for wanting to see the next season when I was done watching the first season. I even considered watching it all again. smile

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #620482
11/15/11 08:28 PM
11/15/11 08:28 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I had the exact same feeling, and did watch it all again. Seriously Sonny; check out the books man. It's been years since Ive been this into a work of fiction.

I mean, look at it this way. We've still got a fair while before the second season is out (actually, it's due about the same time Mini-Meatballs is due; May. Seriously, Im not sure what Im looking forward to most tongue I kid, I kid. Of course its Game of Thrones. No wait, I mean the baby, the baby tongue )

If you're anything like me, you cant wait to find out what happens. Simply put, its freakin' awesomely insane. And awesome. And insane. Lilo puts it best when he says "George R.R Martin plays for keeps".

The books are to the fantasy genre what The Sopranos was for the gangster genre. That is, it reinvents, breathes new life and expands exponentially on the staple tropes.

Have you ever been so into a book you're literally breathless? Start reading faster and faster with your heart in your throat because what you're reading is so unexpected and engrossing? Stop, put the book down for a second and go "OMFG, I cant believe that just happened"? I've been doing that at least 5 times a book, and Im only up to the fourth in the series.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #621943
11/28/11 07:52 AM
11/28/11 07:52 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Season 2 Trailer
April 2012.

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #621984
11/28/11 12:25 PM
11/28/11 12:25 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Can't wait!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #622408
11/30/11 08:00 PM
11/30/11 08:00 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
HELLS YES.

It seems like it's coming a month earlier than I expected.

On another note, I picked up Dance For Dragons last night for...$30 mad I swear the same place I picked it up had it advertised in the window for $22 just a few days ago. I saw it in passing and decided that was where Id go to buy it, since the cheapest id found anywhere else was between $30 and (gasp) $50. I said as much to the checkout chick and she rolled her eyes and said "Um, no." mad

I know it's only $8 bucks, but still. I could have gotten it online for cheaper but as I said to Mrs Meatballs, "Yes, I do actually NEED this book asap. If you'd read the series you'd understand". She rolled her eyes too. Whatevs.

Anyway, 100 pages in and loving it. At first I was annoyed when I learned that he was doing AFFC and ADWD the way he was, running simultaneously together like the last two (Part 3) did. Getting into it though, I can understand his reasoning. Better all the story for part of the characters than half the story for all.

Like so many others, I really hope he gets number six done quickly. Its making me a little sad to think that this is the last one for a while. Getting into the series as late as I did was good in a way, since I didnt have to wait years between additions, I could just hack through all five at my leisure. When I finish this book though, Im in the same boat as everyone else, waiting.

Guess Ill have to read this one extra slow grin

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #622452
12/01/11 06:47 AM
12/01/11 06:47 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI

Like so many others, I really hope he gets number six done quickly. Its making me a little sad to think that this is the last one for a while. Getting into the series as late as I did was good in a way, since I didnt have to wait years between additions, I could just hack through all five at my leisure. When I finish this book though, Im in the same boat as everyone else, waiting.

Guess Ill have to read this one extra slow grin

MMB, are you going to be one of those readers sending GRRM nasty emails like "What's wrong with you old man, why don't you hurry up and finish the series. I swear to God you'd better not croak before you finish or I'll get you!!" lol

Not that I know anyone who would write such notes.. whistle
I liked ADWD a lot more than AFFC. GRRM has written himself into a bit of a corner by not aging the Stark children more and it will be interesting to see how he handles that in the remaining two books. I'd be surprised if the next book comes out before 2013. I think I should write him an email.... rolleyes

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #622520
12/01/11 05:11 PM
12/01/11 05:11 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
lol

I swear to God, if you die Im raiding your grave, stealing your brain and fabricating a franken-Martin to finish the goddamn series!

Im only a bit into it and already finding it to be the better book. Finally catching up with Tyrion and Daenarys and finding out what happened with the Bastard of Bolton and Theon Greyjoy er Turncloak er...Reek (Now thats a twist I didn't see coming)

The way he's started off...whoa. Remembering what you wrote in your review, I have an idea it's going to get a lot bloodier before the end.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #622574
12/01/11 10:26 PM
12/01/11 10:26 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI

Finally catching up with Tyrion and Daenarys and finding out what happened with the Bastard of Bolton and Theon Greyjoy er Turncloak er...Reek (Now thats a twist I didn't see coming)

The way he's started off...whoa. Remembering what you wrote in your review, I have an idea it's going to get a lot bloodier before the end.

It does. You were warned. shhh GRRM is a sick twisted SOB and an excellent writer..

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #623475
12/07/11 06:07 PM
12/07/11 06:07 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Finished. Wow. Great book.

One thing; judging by the pace of his story arcs, is two more books going to be enough? I mean, a love the series, love his writing...but goddamn, Im getting to a point when I would love to just see the damn thing end! Send Jon back to Winterfell (he better not be dead, Martin you a-hole) Marry Aegon and Dany off and let them rule happily ever after (with, er, dragons. And Tyrion as part of their council) And send Davos back to his wife and remaining children to grow old and run around and laugh and giggle and be happy with them.

Yeah right. rolleyes I came across a pretty funny meme recently;

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #623518
12/07/11 09:10 PM
12/07/11 09:10 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I would be very surprised if he wraps things up in two books. The seven books thing came from his wife. Seven kingdoms, seven hells, seven faces of God, seven books.

He really should have made the children about 3-4 years older because somehow he has to have a 4-5 yr period where he can say "So-and-so took super secret training or found out they were really the last scion of this hero and came back a real bada$$".

He needs to start the next book with the sentence "It was five years since the events in blah-blah-blah". But since he likes writing cliffhangers it will be hard to do that. He's written himself into a bit of a corner. Oh well. I am willing to wait. I just hope the next book is out before 2015. lol

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #624725
12/14/11 07:58 AM
12/14/11 07:58 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Cold Winds Are Rising Tease

Stannis-the character doing the voice over-is the dead king's middle brother. He is a thoroughly humorless man who insists upon doing everything by the book. Like Ned Stark he has immense respect for the law but he lacks Ned's kinder side or any sense of mercy. He's also much more practical. It will be interesting to see how he's portrayed in Season 2. In the books he occasionally gets privately peeved at why people don't like him more but he doesn't let it stop him from doing what he sees as necessary. He's possibly the most stubborn character in the whole series.

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #624736
12/14/11 09:23 AM
12/14/11 09:23 AM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Cold Winds Are Rising Tease

Stannis-the character doing the voice over-is the dead king's middle brother. He is a thoroughly humorless man who insists upon doing everything by the book. Like Ned Stark he has immense respect for the law but he lacks Ned's kinder side or any sense of mercy. He's also much more practical. It will be interesting to see how he's portrayed in Season 2. In the books he occasionally gets privately peeved at why people don't like him more but he doesn't let it stop him from doing what he sees as necessary. He's possibly the most stubborn character in the whole series.

great teaser. i wonder if they will show off every viewpoint from the major player in teaser form?

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: BAM_233] #625798
12/20/11 08:19 AM
12/20/11 08:19 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Originally Posted By: BAM_233

great teaser. i wonder if they will show off every viewpoint from the major player in teaser form?

I hope so. It sort of stinks that we have to wait until April. I think January would have been more appropriate but it is what it is.

Winter is Coming

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull