GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Captbony1999, 1 invisible), 111 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,354
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,182
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: pizzaboy] #600901
04/25/11 02:47 PM
04/25/11 02:47 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content OP
Turnbull  Online Content OP

AZ
The Chicken Delight in our neighborhood in Brooklyn inspired my sister to claim that they sold "polio chickens." sick

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #601103
04/27/11 11:45 AM
04/27/11 11:45 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I've been having a Big Mac Attack for days now. Hope you're all happy.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #601108
04/27/11 12:40 PM
04/27/11 12:40 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Mickey D's???? panic

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #601119
04/27/11 02:14 PM
04/27/11 02:14 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I love Big Macs. I think they are nectar from heaven. I try to avoid temptation, but once in a while, you just have to give in.

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #601147
04/27/11 07:05 PM
04/27/11 07:05 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I used to have a weakness for Big Macs, back in the days when I was young, svelte and foolish.

However, in central New York state, many years ago, there was a competitor of McDonald's called Carrol's. Their version of a Big Mac was called a Club Burger and the sauce was different - and better, IMO. Ultimately, Carroll's was absorbed by Burger King in the 1970's. A real pity.

I can remember back when I was in college, sitting in Carrol's with my girlfriend at the time, shoveling down four Club Burgers at one sitting (with fries and soda) and never gaining a pound. She would just stare at me in silent amazement - or maybe it was horror. My metabolism was a lot different back then! Now, I can feel my waistline expanding just from thinking about the stuff... frown

These days, two Burger King Whoppers would hold me for a couple of days. But I'm not up for taking two buses to get to the nearest one in my area.

On the other hand... whistle

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Signor Vitelli] #601154
04/27/11 07:44 PM
04/27/11 07:44 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
I used to have a weakness for Big Macs, back in the days when I was young, svelte and foolish.

You're still foolish, and as for the rest, who cares what happened 200 years ago?

You and me are due for a fast-food run, Brooklyn-style. You bring the Maalox, I'll supply the Imodium.

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: SC] #601164
04/27/11 09:14 PM
04/27/11 09:14 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: SC
You and me are due for a fast-food run, Brooklyn-style. You bring the Maalox, I'll supply the Imodium.

Who'll bring the Geritol? tongue

Signor V.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #601399
04/29/11 04:24 PM
04/29/11 04:24 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
The old mid-Atlantic chain Gino's, which was great, is trying a comeback:

http://www.ginosgiant.com/

There are still a few Roy Rogers around the DC area.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: mustachepete] #601581
05/01/11 08:26 PM
05/01/11 08:26 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
The Five Guys around the corner just opened yesterday. I decided to stop in today for a burger and fries, and since I just had a Double Double (Animal Style) from IN-N-OUT a couple days ago, I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to compare the two.

First off, when I got to Five Guys, the line was out the friggin' door, but the line was moving fast, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I ordered a cheeseburger (two patties) with grilled onions, jalapenos, and A-1 Steak Sauce (because A-1 on a burger is awesome!) I also got a regular order of Cajun fries and a large iced tea. The total came out to $10.74...FOR A BURGER AND FRIES!!! eek

I waited about 25 minutes before my order was ready, and by this point I'm thinking "For 11 bucks, this better be as good as I remember..."

I grab my order, get home, and dig in. The first thing I notice is my order of fries. Thank goodness I got just a regular order, because there's clearly enough for two people! I can't even imagine how big the large order of fries are. The thing I remembered most about Five Guys were the fries, and they certainly didn't disappoint this time. The Cajun fries are suitably spicy, but not overpowering, and not too salty, either. The fries were better than I remembered, and certainly in a league of their own, as far as fast food french fries are concerned.

Now the burger. They loaded it with the topping I asked for, which is a plus, and it was dripping with melting cheese. When I said I wanted a cheeseburger, they gave me a cheeseburger! The burger itself was delicious, certainly as good as I remembered from the last time I had Five Guys (at least 5 years ago), but since that time...I have experienced IN-N-OUT, the mecca of fast food cheeseburgers, as far as I am concerned. And while the Five Guys burger is universally excellent, it doesn't quite hold up to IN-N-OUT's Double-Double. Both use fresh ground beef (never frozen), fresh ingredients, and they both make your burgers to order. But there's something missing from Five Guys (perhaps a little seasoning to the meat, a little salt and pepper can go a long way) that causes me to give the nod to IN-N-OUT.

Five Guys will certainly get my business again (they're right around the corner, and their fries can't be beat), but the most excellent burger in town (for me) is IN-N-OUT.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: XDCX] #601582
05/01/11 08:39 PM
05/01/11 08:39 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
X -

Oddly enough, your In-n-Out was on tv today (The Travel Channel was showing the best places for hamburgers), and I was thinking about ya.

Your "report" on Five Guys sounds right to me.... a large order of fries can easily feed three people. The only thing I'll differ on is their Cajun Fries. I don't like my food too spicy so I'll stay away from the Cajun (it's nothing more than spices that are shaken on to the fries).

The toppings are free... dunno why your burger cost so much. confused

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #601583
05/01/11 08:46 PM
05/01/11 08:46 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
X, thanks for sharing. I'll go get some napkins to wipe the drool off my chin now.

I love burgers. Although it's not a fast food place, our local pub does buy one get one free burgers on Monday nights. My daughter's 21st birthday is on a Monday this year, so she wants to have beer and burgers that day.

They make the best Jucy Loosey, so I'm looking forward to it myself!

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: SC] #601584
05/01/11 08:49 PM
05/01/11 08:49 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
The burger itself came out to around $5.20, the regular order of fries was $2.39, and the large iced tea was $1.89. Factor in California's 8.75% sales tax, and it makes sense.

The biggest thing that will keep me away from Five Guys is the price. I can get a Double-Double at IN-N-OUT for less than four bucks, and it is excellent. If I have a hankering for fries, however, Five Guys will get my business.

I think next time I'll try a hot dog (on your recommendation, SC.) smile

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: XDCX] #601585
05/01/11 09:03 PM
05/01/11 09:03 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
OK... all three items were $10. That makes sense. If you're eating the food there in the store buy a small soda and save some money. The refills are free.

I haven't had any of their food in a few months (and they're only two blocks away from me).... I've been on a kick to cut out fast food, but I think I'll pay them a visit this week. grin

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #601624
05/01/11 11:24 PM
05/01/11 11:24 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I tried the Five Guys cajun fries once -- and while I love spice and all, I like their regular fries better. And yeah, they give you TOO MUCH. Wish I could try an In & Out to compare, but for me, Five Guys is the best CHAIN burger I've had. I've had better in restaurants, of course -- but that's at twice the cost of even Five Guys, so, of course...

But honestly... FRESH, HOT McDonald's fries are still my favorite. I don't care that they're frozen. wink

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: J Geoff] #601864
05/03/11 08:16 AM
05/03/11 08:16 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but paying $10.74 for a burger and fries means that somebody is definitely getting the old IN-N-OUT (Animal style)... and I ain't talkin' about fast food! whistle

Signor V.

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Signor Vitelli] #601940
05/03/11 03:08 PM
05/03/11 03:08 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but paying $10.74 for a burger and fries means that somebody is definitely getting the old IN-N-OUT (Animal style)... and I ain't talkin' about fast food! whistle

Signor V.

blush lol clap

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Signor Vitelli] #601942
05/03/11 03:32 PM
05/03/11 03:32 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but paying $10.74 for a burger and fries means that somebody is definitely getting the old IN-N-OUT (Animal style)... and I ain't talkin' about fast food!

OK. To put it into terms with which you might have a basis for comparison.... the same amount of food at Mickey D's would cost about a dollar more.

The Five Guys burger is easily comparable to McD's Big Mac (and Five Guys tatstes MUCH better). Five Guys' fries <small order> equals three large McD's fries. Plus a large soda from both.

You have to see it and eat it to understand.... it's not just a burger and fries.

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: SC] #601945
05/03/11 04:19 PM
05/03/11 04:19 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Originally Posted By: SC
I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but paying $10.74 for a burger and fries means that somebody is definitely getting the old IN-N-OUT (Animal style)... and I ain't talkin' about fast food!

OK. To put it into terms with which you might have a basis for comparison.... the same amount of food at Mickey D's would cost about a dollar more.

The Five Guys burger is easily comparable to McD's Big Mac (and Five Guys tatstes MUCH better). Five Guys' fries <small order> equals three large McD's fries. Plus a large soda from both.

You have to see it and eat it to understand.... it's not just a burger and fries.

I think that is the main thing, for me. While $10.74 seems like a lot of money to pay for a burger and fries, it is easily justifiable (for me anyway) when the food is delicious, and you get a lot of it. Five Guys (and IN-N-OUT) certainly give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Hell, I've spent $30 bucks for dinner at Red Robin with my girlfriend, and all we ate THAT night were burgers and fries. The food was delicious, though. (BTW, if any of you ever go to Red Robin, get the A1 Peppercorn Burger. I will go ahead and say you're welcome in advance.)

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #602038
05/04/11 10:45 AM
05/04/11 10:45 AM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
I really like hot dogs

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: XDCX] #602057
05/04/11 12:15 PM
05/04/11 12:15 PM
AZ

AZ
We have a Red Robin here, right across from In 'n Out and McDonald's. Red Robin has pretty decent burger-and-fries, but I still prefer In 'n Out. That McDonald's is incredibly bad.

Last year, Consumer Reports rated fast food burger chains. In 'n Out and (I think) Carl's Junior topped the list. McD and Burger King came in dead last.

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #602062
05/04/11 02:03 PM
05/04/11 02:03 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Ultimately - and this is the frustrating part for me - while cost, portion size and food quality are certainly the most important factors in rating fast food, it also comes down to something else: availability.

Sad to say, that here in my part of Brooklyn it's ridiculous that most of the aforementioned franchises simply do not exist. You have McDonald's, Burger King, KFC/Taco Bell, and the occasional Subway. Very little else. And what little else there might be is pretty much only an option if you have a car (I do not) or are willing to take buses or trains.

Quite ridiculous, if you ask me.

Signor V.

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Signor Vitelli] #602094
05/04/11 08:54 PM
05/04/11 08:54 PM
AZ

AZ
...but you can probably get kosher Chinese and falafel... lol

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #602106
05/05/11 12:52 AM
05/05/11 12:52 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
...but you can probably get kosher Chinese and falafel... lol

I never really cared for Kosher Chinese restaurants. I like shrimp and some pork dishes, so there goes that. And it never really tastes as good, at least to my palate.

And then there's the price... mad We're back to the old IN-'N-OUT (Animal Style). Ouch! Or maybe that should be, Oy!

Now a good falafel, on the other hand... Yum!

At least I have a decent real Chinese take-out establishment right around the corner from me, and just a few doors down is a pizzeria that has been here for decades. Also on the same block is Adelman's Deli. Across the street is a Turkish restaurant that actually has very palatable fare at very reasonable prices.

So, it's not a total desert out there!

Signor V.

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Signor Vitelli] #602113
05/05/11 02:17 AM
05/05/11 02:17 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Now a good falafel, on the other hand... Yum!

Just made/had that tonight. From a mix (from Lebanon -- just add water, wait an hour, roll, then fry), but still pretty good -- bought it at a Turkish market, along with the accompanying Tahini. Standing in for the Tzatziki was a Greek yogurt dip w/ similar flavorings (cucumber/dill/feta -- not enough cuc, too much feta), with plain Greek yogurt added into it to mellow it out a little. Served in whole wheat pitas with sliced tomato (didn't have lettuce). Good stuff!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: J Geoff] #602460
05/08/11 09:36 PM
05/08/11 09:36 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Had Chinese take-out last night from my favorite Chinese restaurant in Garden Grove (borderline Orange), right across the street from the famed Crystal Cathedral. It's a place called Hong Kong Express. There are locations all over Orange County, but I only go to the one in Garden Grove. They give you a ton of food, the prices are low, and the food is amazing. Their orange chicken is the best I have EVER had, and the rest of their food is fantastic (last night I had orange chicken, spicy shredded pork, and chow mein.)

Dee-lish! smile

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: XDCX] #602529
05/09/11 03:13 PM
05/09/11 03:13 PM
AZ

AZ
Another source of "fast food" is supermarkets. I often buy the wraps and pre-made sandwiches at Fry's, a big chain here. Also, salad bars at some stores can be really good--and quick.

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #602536
05/09/11 03:37 PM
05/09/11 03:37 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Another source of "fast food" is supermarkets. I often buy the wraps and pre-made sandwiches at Fry's, a big chain here. Also, salad bars at some stores can be really good--and quick.

I agree, TB. I find this especially true when I'm in Florida. I'm sure you're familiar with the Publix chain down there. Maybe it's just because there are so many demanding New York retirees in South Florida, but the deli and appy sections in those stores have become almost gourmet. I find myself buying things like whitefish salad in a supermarket! That was unheard of just a few years ago.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: pizzaboy] #602591
05/09/11 09:31 PM
05/09/11 09:31 PM
AZ

AZ
I never knew Publix until my folks bought a condo in Hallandale. Clean stores, good food--and, clean toilets in the front of the store! Just try finding a john in a NYC-area supermarket (usually hidden away in the loading dock), and then try to muster the courage to use it. sick

A friend who was a pharmacist in a supermarket says prepared foods are their highest-profitability items.

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: Turnbull] #602593
05/09/11 09:52 PM
05/09/11 09:52 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
A friend who was a pharmacist in a supermarket says prepared foods are their highest-profitability items.

More than the drugs??? grin

Re: Favorite fast food? [Re: J Geoff] #602680
05/10/11 09:23 PM
05/10/11 09:23 PM
AZ

AZ
lol

Probably not.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull