GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (faffy444, The_Marble_Guy, furio_from_naples, Captbony1999), 125 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,154
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread #596913
03/10/11 09:38 AM
03/10/11 09:38 AM
J
jvanley Offline OP
Made Member
jvanley  Offline OP
J
Made Member
Everytime I turn around this guys on youtube, 60 minutes and everywhere else I turn my head boasting about going undercover and conning the joke of a capo Greg Depalma.

If you notice in his book, they rarely mention anyone of importance? They talk about Arnold Squiterri some, but not Joe Joe Corrozo, Jackie Damico, or anyone. You know why? Those guys knew better than to let that fat slob around them. Anyone Greg Depalma vouched for was garbage Damico once said.

I know we have talked about this in other threads and I probably wouldnt despise him so much if he did not toot his own horn so much for tricking a 75 year old has been into thinking he was an associate.

Seriously, if you have not read his book, its worth the read just to see what I am talking about.

This guy gets under my skin, so I thought I would give him his own thread because he loves attention so much!

FatGirl:Your cute
Me:Ok
FatGirl:So you wanna buy me a drink?
Me:No
FatGirl:Why not?
Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

08/13/2009-jvanley Spanky Bar, 3rd stool from the left
Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #596915
03/10/11 10:01 AM
03/10/11 10:01 AM
J
jvanley Offline OP
Made Member
jvanley  Offline OP
J
Made Member
Not to mention, if you watch his 60 minutes interview on youtube, he takes a shot at joe pistone.

Anchor: So why show your face like this? Are you not scared?
Fat Turd: If I hide, they win, You want me to walk around with the hat and the silly sunglasses on?

Pistone would chuck norris your ass

Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #596929
03/10/11 01:30 PM
03/10/11 01:30 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
i havent had the opportunity to read his book yet, too busy reading stuff for school, but i wondered if he ever mentioned guys from the other families, top guys in the gambino like jackie nose etc

they are shooting a movie version of his book

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: Dapper_Don] #596999
03/10/11 07:53 PM
03/10/11 07:53 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
i havent had the opportunity to read his book yet, too busy reading stuff for school, but i wondered if he ever mentioned guys from the other families, top guys in the gambino like jackie nose etc

they are shooting a movie version of his book

The only made member he really had any contact with was Greg DePalma, and Robert Vaccaro much less so, who he met through DePalma, Vaccaro had just gotten out of prison for doing 15 years. Garcia claims to be the guy who found out leadership of the Gambino's was at that time, like Squitieri as boss. He claimed the only guys in NYC who could out him as an agent were Gigi the Whale, and Randy Pizzolo, who got killed by the Bonanno's. The fat slobs entire act reads like a cheesy low budget mafia B movie.

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: GerryLang] #597000
03/10/11 08:01 PM
03/10/11 08:01 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Greg did it to himself.

When he came out in 2003 he right away looked to shake down the weakest remaining link in his son's crew---Peter Forchetti---who was never any kind of tough guy, despite his girth. He naturally ran right to the Feds, who told him that he had to introduce Garcia to DePalma and claim he was his long lost buddy.

Greg was so predictable, the Feds were actually able to see this coming. Garcia's role merely helped them dot the I's and cross the T's on the future indictment.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #597012
03/10/11 09:26 PM
03/10/11 09:26 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
The problem I see with many of these law enforcement guys is the same I see with the organized crime guys. They brag like a motherfucker. They love to talk about how tough they are, how they didn't break a sweat and how easily they could've killed somebody. You listen to Joe Pistone talk, and you sometimes get the sense that he really isn't all that different from the guys he was trying to build a case against. Now, I'm sure Pistone is a fine gentleman, but I think people know what I'm driving at here. They seem to share the same ego almost. Tommy Dades is another guy who likes to put an epic spin on his tales. William Balsamo is another one. And of course everyone's favorite, Bo Dietl.

I wasn't a big fan of Falcone's book. There were a few interesting things in it, but nothing much to talk about. I like how he talks about Greg DePalma being this ultimate wiseguy who believed in the old way of doing things. The man was as flashy as Frank Sinatra. I remember reading about a funny conversation where John Gotti Jr. was expressing concern over DePalma's chatty nature. I don't remember the exact words but John was talking to Greg's friend and said something like: "Tell him [Greg] we're gonna try and get him a radio show. Tell him I said that. Tell him John said that." I think that pretty much sums up the character of Greg DePalma.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #597014
03/10/11 09:29 PM
03/10/11 09:29 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I know what you mean about both Falcone and Pistone. I can't judge the veracity of all of Pistone's claims; they likely are at least somewhat exaggerated.

But as far as him not being that different -in the book "Way of the Wiseguy" he does state that given his background and where/how he grew up if he had been inclined he could have joined the Mafia long before he ever thought about joining the FBI. Again, I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what he says...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #597015
03/10/11 09:36 PM
03/10/11 09:36 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Yeah, I think the Feds refer to it as "going native," and Pistone definitely had a bad case of it. Now this is just conjecture, but I'd be willing to bet that today the Feds use some kind of required therapy on their undercover agents while they're undercover to make sure their egos don't get out of control, and to keep them from going over to the dark side.

You cited some good examples of undercovers who went on to write books and were very impressed with themselves. I'd just add Rick Cowan to the list. I was a member, and later a business agent, in of one of the locals (IBT 813) mentioned in that book ("Takedown") for 25 years, and he was off base about some of the things that he wrote. But it did make for an entertaining read.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: pizzaboy] #597019
03/10/11 09:55 PM
03/10/11 09:55 PM
T
thebarber Offline
Underboss
thebarber  Offline
T
Underboss

pistone definitely did go native and its quiye clear in his interviews he is very high on himself. I dont care for him or falcone

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #597025
03/10/11 10:24 PM
03/10/11 10:24 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
In a way the very nature of the job calls for some inflated egoism doesn't it? What agents like Pistone, Garcia & Roemer have in common is that tendancy towards self aggrandisement & with having retired from the Bureau you could figure they'd cash in. But IMHO the guys that do that sorta work have gotta have tough skin, be assholes basically. It comes with the territory.

Having said that, i still respect the guys for their work, even if they did turn to bigging themselves upon retirement. A bloody oath they do. they gotta make some $ too dont they?

(cough.)
Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: Lilo] #597028
03/10/11 10:28 PM
03/10/11 10:28 PM
pittsburgh pa
P
phatmatress Offline
Underboss
phatmatress  Offline
P
Underboss
pittsburgh pa
Originally Posted By: Lilo
I know what you mean about both Falcone and Pistone. I can't judge the veracity of all of Pistone's claims; they likely are at least somewhat exaggerated.

if he had been inclined he could have joined the Mafia long before he ever thought about joining the FBI. Again, I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what he says...

i think its easy for him to say that now.

I hate Dicknoses!!!!!!
Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #597125
03/11/11 08:06 PM
03/11/11 08:06 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Pistone atleast had some knowledge of the mafia, he knew the lingo, had the ancestry, etc. Garcia on the other hand was a total outsider, a fish out of water, a cheesy character who couldn't fool a mob groupie that post on internet forums. For him to succeed shows you how hard-up for money DePalma was. Greg DePalma's big mouth was responsible for bringing down indictments in three different decades, sending two acting bosses to prison for five plus years, Gaggi should have went through with his wishes and had him wacked a long time ago. His legacy left us subjected to the endless braggadocio of a self aggrandizing fat slob, thanks Mr. DePalma!

Last edited by GerryLang; 03/11/11 08:07 PM.
Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: GerryLang] #597150
03/12/11 10:06 AM
03/12/11 10:06 AM
J
jvanley Offline OP
Made Member
jvanley  Offline OP
J
Made Member
Here is the bottom line:

Joe Pistone: Ya, he may brag as well but he has a legitimate reason to brag. He fooled some of the most Notorious gangsters and he did it in an era when the Mafia was at their prime. There is no F-ing way Jack Garcia could have duped someone like Sonny black, it just wouldnt have happened. So in my eyes, Pistone has a Legit reason to boast.

Jack Garcia: He fooled a 70 year old man with a blabber mouth and desperate to make money. He fooled a has been and a guy who should have been dead along time ago. Never in a million years could Jack Garica have gotten close to Sonny Black.

Ive said it once and I will say it again...

Jack Garcia's book NEVER mentions anyone of power in his book other than Arnold Squiterri. Even when he mentions him, he mentions him in happen stance, he never got close to him. Jack got closest to the LOWEST Capo on the totum poll the Gambinos had. While Greg Depalma was considered an "old timer" he was nothing more than Old. Never does the book mention Garcia dealing with any other Capos.

Also at the end of the book it has a "where are they now" and the ONLY person higher than soldier they convicted was Depalma.

Enough said

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #597292
03/13/11 11:36 PM
03/13/11 11:36 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Great points JVanley, totally agree.

Actually, just wanted to point out that despite understanding an undecover agents belief in his own hype & egotistical tendencies, I want it known that I do actually hold Pistone in much higher esteem then Garcia. What Pistone did was legendary; Garcia fooled an old guy that had it coming anyway, who was his only significant takedown.

To his (possible) credit, I think he may have identified a few more guys & help obtain a few smaller convictions then is being admitted...no?
Like Petey Chops, Robert Vaccaro, Loius Filipelli & Nicky LaSorsa, amongst others? According to him at least the 29 other indictments besides DePalma handed dowm because of him resulted in guilty pleas. I may be totally wrong on this.

Oh, & he does mention Tony Genius Megale. & Tommy Sneakers Cacciopoli. & a couple other mid level capo's.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 03/13/11 11:39 PM.

(cough.)
Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #597569
03/16/11 02:30 PM
03/16/11 02:30 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
In my opinion Pistone is the real bull shit artist! He caims to have locked up 250 guys in his book and in interviews. I dare him or anyone else to name them. Pistone only worked one case undercover in his career while Garcia did over 100 cases. Garcia is a professional undercover agent. He is also cuban who played the role of an Italian and he worked other cases at the same time as the Depalma case. Pistone spent only 6 years undercover with the Mob and he only took down a handful of guys with the main one being that broken down Valise Lefty. Garcia was undercover with Deplama for 2 years and as an Undercover for 26 years working all types of cases. I heard the DePalma tapes on his 60 minutes show and on the Discovery Channe when he was proposed and I believe it. Where are Pistone's tape? Pistone claimed his 250 arrests because he testified as an expert witness throughout the US in different Mafia trials and when they were found the people guilty he gave himself credit. Pistone never met with any of these defendants or did anything else besides testify about the MOB. I enjoyed Garcia's book and say what you want about DePalma, but he never ratted, never plead guilty except when he was ordered by Gotti Jr in the Scores case and always, always went to trial. He was the only one in Garcia's case to do so while everyone else took pleads. As far as Garcia, he took down some major guys like Megale, Squitieri, LaSorsa, Tommy Sneakers, Funzi Sisca, Vaccaro, Filipelli, Scop Deluca, Johnny Hooks to name just a few. Make no mistake about it, DePalma was a very bad man. He might have had a big mouth but Garcia just knew how to play him.

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: Beanshooter] #597571
03/16/11 02:43 PM
03/16/11 02:43 PM
J
jvanley Offline OP
Made Member
jvanley  Offline OP
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
In my opinion Pistone is the real bull shit artist! He caims to have locked up 250 guys in his book and in interviews. I dare him or anyone else to name them. Pistone only worked one case undercover in his career while Garcia did over 100 cases. Garcia is a professional undercover agent. He is also cuban who played the role of an Italian and he worked other cases at the same time as the Depalma case. Pistone spent only 6 years undercover with the Mob and he only took down a handful of guys with the main one being that broken down Valise Lefty. Garcia was undercover with Deplama for 2 years and as an Undercover for 26 years working all types of cases. I heard the DePalma tapes on his 60 minutes show and on the Discovery Channe when he was proposed and I believe it. Where are Pistone's tape? Pistone claimed his 250 arrests because he testified as an expert witness throughout the US in different Mafia trials and when they were found the people guilty he gave himself credit. Pistone never met with any of these defendants or did anything else besides testify about the MOB. I enjoyed Garcia's book and say what you want about DePalma, but he never ratted, never plead guilty except when he was ordered by Gotti Jr in the Scores case and always, always went to trial. He was the only one in Garcia's case to do so while everyone else took pleads. As far as Garcia, he took down some major guys like Megale, Squitieri, LaSorsa, Tommy Sneakers, Funzi Sisca, Vaccaro, Filipelli, Scop Deluca, Johnny Hooks to name just a few. Make no mistake about it, DePalma was a very bad man. He might have had a big mouth but Garcia just knew how to play him.

Ok where to begin here......My responses to this post are color coded so try to follow me here!

1. You say Pistone ONLY took down lefty huh? Well my friend, you are TERRIBLY wrong there. Joe Pistone did more than just prosecute guys, he fucking wiped them off the face of the earth. GUYS GOT FUCKING WHACKED because of Joe Pistone, the equivilant of the "Death Penalty" to the Feds, something they have not been able to do. He single handedly changed the landscape of the mafia. He was responsible for RULES BEING PUT IN PLACE BY THE COMISSION. He had an entire fucking family EXILED from the Commission!!!

2.This is about comparing Garcia to Pistone as they were both proposed. Okay here is something for you. If you play football and you rush for 300 yards in a game and your teamate did the same thing the following week lets say. But he did it against the state champions and you did it against one legged midgets...300 yards in a game is 300 yards in a game right? Im sure you catch my drift...

This whole thing can easily be summed up....

You can have sex with lets say, Megan Fox for example. Well, you can also have sex with Roseanne Bar. If you generalize that its the same: You had sex with a girl. However, if you have half a brain, 2 eyes and a beating pulse, you would say having sex with Megan Fox is MUCH more of an acomplishment than Roseanne Barr....

See where im going here?

Last edited by jvanley; 03/16/11 02:58 PM.

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #597575
03/16/11 03:00 PM
03/16/11 03:00 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
This also sums it up: Joe Massino told everyone that Pistone was no good. They all knew except the broken down guys who he was with. Garcia was never doubted as to who he was pretending to be. Don't believe what you read about Pistone. If what you say is true, then because of what Pistone accomplished in "Changing the landscape" of the MAfia,should it not have been more difficult for Garcia to infiltrate the Mafia? Yet Garcia did!

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: Beanshooter] #597576
03/16/11 03:03 PM
J
jvanley Offline OP
Made Member
jvanley  Offline OP
J
Made Member
This also sums it up: Joe Massino told everyone that Pistone was no good. They all knew except the broken down guys who he was with. Garcia was never doubted as to who he was pretending to be. Don't believe what you read about Pistone. If what you say is true, then because of what Pistone accomplished in "Changing the landscape" of the MAfia,should it not have been more difficult for Garcia to infiltrate the Mafia? Yet Garcia did!

Dear Gregory Depalma,

Blah Blah Blah, I win: you lose.

Sincerely,

Joseph D Pistone

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #597577
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
lol!

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: Beanshooter] #597588
03/16/11 03:24 PM
03/16/11 03:24 PM
B
bonanno Offline
Made Member
bonanno  Offline
B
Made Member
where Massino said that?

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: bonanno] #597593
03/16/11 03:33 PM
03/16/11 03:33 PM
J
jvanley Offline OP
Made Member
jvanley  Offline OP
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: bonanno
where Massino said that?

He said that at his trial where he got convicted (the first one)

Classic case of someone embarrasing the fuck out of you and you say " I knew you were going to do that" to try to save face.

Let me ask you something...

In the HISTORY of the mafia has there ever been a time that someone was known to be an informant of some sort (as Massino said) and their repsonse was:

Ehh, dont sit next to him at the wedding, hes an informant. Dont kill him, just dont eat cake next to the guy

No

Last edited by jvanley; 03/16/11 03:35 PM.

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #597596
03/16/11 04:02 PM
03/16/11 04:02 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Yes, Greg Scarpa for one. Everyone thought he was a rat at first because he was always walking on his arrest and investigations that he was involved in, but then he started killing so much that everyone thought that NO way this guy could be working with the Feds.

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: Beanshooter] #597616
03/16/11 05:54 PM
03/16/11 05:54 PM
J
jvanley Offline OP
Made Member
jvanley  Offline OP
J
Made Member
Yes, Greg Scarpa for one. Everyone thought he was a rat at first because he was always walking on his arrest and investigations that he was involved in, but then he started killing so much that everyone thought that NO way this guy could be working with the Feds.

Man Beanshooter, at first I thought you and I were supposed to be having a debate but now I get it. I owe you one bro, thank you! I see what your actually doing, your just posting to help me prove my points, to emphasize what I am saying if you will.

Thanks!

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #597682
03/17/11 08:48 AM
03/17/11 08:48 AM
J
jvanley Offline OP
Made Member
jvanley  Offline OP
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: jvanley

Ok where to begin here......My responses to this post are color coded so try to follow me here!

1. You say Pistone ONLY took down lefty huh? Well my friend, you are TERRIBLY wrong there. Joe Pistone did more than just prosecute guys, he fucking wiped them off the face of the earth. GUYS GOT FUCKING WHACKED because of Joe Pistone, the equivilant of the "Death Penalty" to the Feds, something they have not been able to do. He single handedly changed the landscape of the mafia. He was responsible for RULES BEING PUT IN PLACE BY THE COMISSION. He had an entire fucking family EXILED from the Commission!!!

2.This is about comparing Garcia to Pistone as they were both proposed. Okay here is something for you. If you play football and you rush for 300 yards in a game and your teamate did the same thing the following week lets say. But he did it against the state champions and you did it against one legged midgets...300 yards in a game is 300 yards in a game right? Im sure you catch my drift...

This whole thing can easily be summed up....

You can have sex with lets say, Megan Fox for example. Well, you can also have sex with Roseanne Bar. If you generalize that its the same: You had sex with a girl. However, if you have half a brain, 2 eyes and a beating pulse, you would say having sex with Megan Fox is MUCH more of an acomplishment than Roseanne Barr....

See where im going here?

One more thing BeanShooter...

What were the repercussions of Jack Garcia infiltrating the Gambino Crime Family from within? NONE, let me repeat that, NONE.

You know why?

No one gave a fuck, plain and simple. Sure guys guys pinched, sure they had the embarassment. But the upper Admin of the Gambinos knew that this would be eventually exactly what it is now: Greg Depalma running his mouth and getting himself caught.

They knew we would eventually sit here and say EXACTLY what we are saying: Hell, I could have fooled the old man, big deal!

Jack Garcia did the Gambinos a service, they were glad to see Depalma gone.

Re: Official "Jack Falcone" is a blow hard thread [Re: jvanley] #600088
04/16/11 07:15 AM
04/16/11 07:15 AM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
I guess Massino proved that Pistone is the real bullshitter and the Blow hard after all. Specially that guys got whacked because of him.

THis Week In Gang Land April 14, 2011
By Jerry Capeci
Massino: As Mafia Boss I Had The Power Of Life & Death

Siskel and Ebert gave Donnie Brasco “two thumbs up.” But when a prosecutor asked Joseph Massino for his take on the classic gangster movie, he grimaced and held his hand in front of his face. Then he wiggled his fingers back and forth in that shaky motion that most closely translates as “Mezza-mezza.” Or perhaps, “Eh.”

“Objection!” thundered the defense attorney. “Sustained,” said the judge, ending Joe Massino’s career as movie reviewer.

Jurors were instructed to ignore this part of Massino’s historic appearance as the first official New York Mafia boss to testify for the government – in this case, against a fellow former Bonanno crime family big, onetime acting boss Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano.

Thankfully, Gang Land is not required to adhere to the trial judge’s admonitions. For that matter, it’s hard to fathom how jurors will get it out of their heads since Brooklyn Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis was forced to repeat the shaky hand motion when he ruled it off-limits. At any rate, let it be officially recorded here that the first movie review by an ex-mob chieftain delivered from the witness stand was “No Stars!”

Not that the 68-year-old Massino lacked for insight about the inner-workings of the Bonanno family of that era. In fact, he is presumably better-equipped than anyone to pass judgment on the accuracy of the big-screen portrayal of FBI agent Joe Pistone’s undercover work against the crime family from 1976-to-1981.

In any event, once his movie review was over, the burly ex-Mafia boss proceeded to deliver several new revelations, each of which partially explained why he might think the movie version of the Brasco affair was no great shakes.

First, he debunked a long-held theory that a pair of mob murders of that era stemmed from anger at mobsters who were hoodwinked by the FBI agent. Under questioning by assistant U.S. attorney Taryn Merkl, Massino said that he was “made” on June 14, 1977 – a year after Pistone began his undercover role – and learned about the agent’s work soon after the FBI disclosed it in the summer of 1981 to Dominick (Sonny Black) Napolitano, the wiseguy who wanted to sponsor Pistone for induction.

Contrary to what prosecutors alleged at Massino’s 2004 trial – and what was implied in the 1997 movie – Sonny Black’s murder in August of 1981, a month after the feds pulled the plug on Pistone’s sting operation, was not payback for Napolitano’s role in vouching for Donnie Brasco, the jewel thief that Pistone pretended to be for five years.

Massino said that Sonny Black had told him that three FBI agents had alerted Napolitano that the “knock-around guy” he had known for several years as “Donnie Brasco” was really an FBI agent. Napolitano said the agents warned him that “if anything happens to [Brasco], we’re going to have a lot of trouble,” said Massino, adding that Napolitano’s sudden problems were unrelated to the Brasco fiasco.

“Sonny Black threatened to make a move on the family,” said Massino, recalling that he took part in the slaying and was part of a three-capo panel that was running the crime family for then-imprisoned boss Philip (Rusty) Rastelli that authorized the rubout. (Sonny Black looks into the camera as he and "Donnie Brasco" catch some rays at a Florida pool in 1980.)

Massino also dismissed reports that the demise of Bonanno wiseguy Anthony Mirra, whose February 1982 murder was long linked to his own Donnie Brasco dealings, was related to Pistone’s undercover work. Instead, Massino testified, that slaying stemmed from a belief that Mirra, a longtime drug dealer had become a secret “cooperator for the DEA.”

Massino, who is expected to face stiff cross-examination today about his assertion that Basciano ordered the 2004 murder of mob associate Randolph Pizzolo, stressed during his direct testimony that he was an all-powerful crime boss who had the power of life and death over wiseguys years before he took over the crime family in 1991.

He also explained the rationale behind another mob rubout: Disrespect. While he was on the lam in 1984 – ducking trial for the murders of three capos in 1981 – Massino said he learned from Rastelli’s brother and his own brother-in-law Salvatore Vitale, who was then a capo, that Rastelli was planning to whack Cesare Bonventre, a member of the family’s Sicilian faction who had extorted about $600,000 from a drug dealer who was close to Rastelli.

When Bonventre was called on the carpet about it by Rastelli, (right) not only did he deny the allegation, “he got insulted” by the inquiry and “got up and walked away,’ without so much as a polite good bye to his already steaming Mafia boss.

“You can’t do that with bosses,” said Massino. “That’s why he died.”

Rastelli also wanted to whack Bonventre’s long time buddy and partner in the crime and the insult, Baldo Amato – the duo played key roles in the 1979 rubout of wannabe Bonanno boss Carmine (Lilo) Galante – but Massino thought that was a bad idea, he testified.

“I saved him,” he said. “I sent word to the old man. I said, ‘Listen, he’s listening to his captain. We can’t just keep going on killing and killing and killing. He’s following orders just like I follow orders.’ He said, ‘You’re right,’ and he gave him a pass.”

Yesterday, prosecutors played tape recordings of jailhouse talks that Massino had with Vinny Gorgeous in January of 2005 – which Gang Land first disclosed that September – in which Basciano admits ordering a close associate to whack Pizzolo.

In his opening remarks to the jury, defense lawyer George Goltzer conceded that Basciano admitted ordering Pizzolo’s slaying while he was behind bars but insisted that his client was lying to his all powerful boss in order to save the life of Dominick Cicale, a close associate who had whacked Pizzolo on his own.

Goltzer conceded that Basciano was a powerful mobster who had committed numerous crimes, but insisted that he had nothing to do with ordering the December 1, 2004 murder of Pizzolo. His purpose in telling his mob boss he ordered the slaying was solely to protect Cicale from retaliation from Massino for having acted without prior approval.

The defense lawyer implored jurors to listen to the tapes “as many times as you want” during deliberations, assuring them that when all the evidence is in, “the only fair inference is that Vincent Basciano is saying what he has to say to save Dominick Cicale.”

It’s hard to determine what the jury will ultimately decide, but one irony of the defense lawyer’s words is that if Vinny Gorgeous was indeed trying to save Cicale from Masssino, his old pal hasn’t expressed much gratitude. He has already testified against him twice, and is slated to follow Massino to the stand.

A second irony is that no matter what the outcome of the trial, Vinny Gorgeous, who is serving life without parole for one mob murder, will leave prison in a body bag some time in the future.

Vinny Still Looks Gorgeous
Say what you will about Vinny Gorgeous, the perfectly coiffed salt and pepper gray-haired wiseguy doesn’t look any worse for wear after two racketeering trials and six-plus years behind bars. As one wag in the courtroom said the other day, “He looks great.”

(It also doesn’t hurt the defendant’s image that Joe Massino, his ex-boss and the chief witness against him, looks like a portly schlub whose idea of dressing up is a two-tone windbreaker, gray pants, and bright white sneakers.)

Gang Land doesn’t know how Basciano does it, but from a highly credible source we can report that he has somehow overcome Bureau of Prisons rules banning hair gel for inmates by concocting his own – apparently without violating any of the myriad of BOP rules by which inmates reside and despite spending most of his time in a Segregated Housing Unit.

This information comes exclusively from mob prince Chris Colombo, who spent a couple of days next to Basciano two years ago when he was busted for violating the terms of his release. Before being shipped out to his assigned prison, Colombo was placed in the SHU as a possible “communications threat” because he had taken part in a 2004 HBO special titled House Arrest.

“First thing he says to me is ‘Bo, how do I look?’ I say, ‘Great, fantastic,’” said Colombo, recalling that he then became a victim described in the old adage that no good deed goes unpunished.

“So I say, ‘How do I look?’ He says, ‘You look like Lou Costello.’ I says, ‘You mutt, I wish I would have asked you how I look before you asked me how you looked. I would have told you something different,’” laughed Colombo, who said he doesn’t see any resemblance between him and the short and stocky half of the legendary Abbott and Costello comedy team.

These days, says the 49-year-old Colombo: “I am pursuing an honest living and the American Dream.”

Convicted Mob Associate: My Lawyer Stuck Me Like A Pig
Did a prominent Gang Land defense attorney stick it to his own client?

That’s what mob associate John Matera is claiming about his former lawyer, Jeffrey Lichtman, in court papers that appeal his conviction and 20-year prison sentence for a 1998 murder.

Matera cites Lichtman’s less-than-admiring speech to the judge at his 2004 sentencing for taking part in the rubout of FBI informer Frank Hydell.

“You can put a dress on a pig, Judge, and it’s still a pig,” Lichtman told the judge, according to a transcript.

Lichtman, who gained fame by winning a deadlocked jury for John (Junior) Gotti, says he played square with Matera, as he does for all his clients. But Matera’s new lawyer, Seth Ginsberg, says in court papers that Lichtman worked a good deal harder to win a lesser sentence for another client he represented at the same time who was also charged with taking part in the Hydell slaying.

That client was Gambino associate Thomas Dono, who wound up with a better deal, and a 15 year sentence. Lichtman used remarkably different language to describe him to the judge.

At Dono’s sentencing last year, Ginsberg wrote, Lichtman told the judge that Dono was the only one of his many clients to express any concern about a personal crisis in Lichtman’s own life after his twin boys were born premature in August, 2004 and nearly died.

“When my kids were born ten weeks prematurely five and a half years ago there was only one client of mine, and I represent a lot of people judge, and a lot of people that should have cared more, there was one person that called me constantly,” Lichtman told Judge Colleen McMahon.

“I’ve gotten to know his family,” Lichtman continued. “I’ve met his children. I’ve gotten to know him very well. I feel certain that when he gets out of prison he will be a much better person (than) the way you are seeing him today. He is a father that cares about his kids. This is somebody I have spoken to about his children.”

Since the personal crisis occurred while Lichtman was negotiating Matera’s plea deal, the speech suggests that the lawyer was upset with those who didn’t show adequate sympathy, says Ginsberg who writes that Lichtman had an “actual conflict of interest” regarding Matera at the time.

Matera, wrote Ginsberg, also “has children he undoubtedly loves, but Lichtman made no mention of that fact.” The omission, suggests Ginsberg, was because the lawyer resented the idea that Matera (right) did not “demonstrate appropriate concern for Lichtman” during the lawyer’s “crisis with his children.”

Ginsberg has asked the court to set aside Matera’s guilty plea and allow him to go to trial on the murder charge.

Lichtman, who hosts a a two-hour Saturday morning talk show at 10 AM on 970 AM The Apple, told Gang Land he handled Matera’s case straight up: “As John well knows, I’ve always wished him the best and still do. I got him a great deal in a tough case, and he deeply appreciated it at the time … I represented John zealously and single-mindedly, as I do all my clients.”

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull