GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (CNote, 2 invisible), 96 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,701
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,703
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... #586508
11/23/10 09:45 PM
11/23/10 09:45 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline OP
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline OP
Underboss
Brazil
...I'll definitely rewatch it but it's one of my least favorite episodes right off the bat. its main idea of having Tony paranoid about Big Pussy's collaboration with the FBI is great and I understand that exaggerating a situation is a good way to make sure your point go through but I just don't like how simple that episode is;

Janice complains about her wrist, the next day she sees the russian on tv; tony gets mad at Jackie Jr., beats him up; and especially the talking fish thing which was genious in "Second Opinion" (when Tony beats up Goergie - "I pay you a fucking salary!" lol and that great scene in the end with Paulie and Christopher) but I guess they overused it a little bit and overstate the case with the gifts - that was in a previous episode, but even for AJ, giving your mother the "Matrix" DVD as her birthday present??? and Ivy League Meadow isn't much better, gives Carmella and Tony lame gifts, which leads me to what's really wrong with that episode...

...maybe the worst scene in Sopranos history, when Jackie Jr. breaks into Sopranos Christmas and makes me wanna puke with that love (!?) scene with Meadow; she is painful to watch too when she's giving Tony the fish. anyway the only good thing is that stupid Jackie Jr. is going to get made

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: Tony Mosrite] #586638
11/25/10 02:20 PM
11/25/10 02:20 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
I'd have to agree with you on this episode. Honestly, I say this again and again, but people never understand what I'm getting at. In Sopranos, what the quality of a season comes down to is always the sum of its parts. Season 3 had some great moments, like Dr. Melfi's rape, Pine Barrens, the story of Tracee the stripper, the ensuing Ralph and Tony conflict. But with season 3, the episodes have no flow, we go from this episode to Pine Barrens, to Gloria Trillo. It was just a very rocky season.

I can't really comment on Jackie Jr. since I'm really biased. His story never really gripped me. But yes that was a terrible scene. The whole family side of this episode is what ruined it. I mean, the Big Pussy flashbacks were important details, except the dates contradict each other (I think Pussy says to his agent that he flipped in 1998, Tony is thinking back to earlier). Also, the scene between Junior and Jackie Sr. over who was going to be boss SHOULD have been exciting, except it never really went anywhere. I can't even remember why Junior recognized Jackie as the rightful boss. And Bobby's "shyness is a curse" was pretty silly. We already understand his meek qualities, they didn't need to center a plot around this.

Overall this episode ranks among my least favorite as well. Here's my list:

*. S1E10 A Hit is a Hit
*. S3E09 The Telltale Moozadell
*. S3E10 ...To Save Us All From Satan's Power
*. S3E12 Amour Fou
*. S4E05 Pie-O-My
*. S4E06 Everybody Hurts
*. S5E07 In Camelot
*. S6E12 Kaisha
*. S6E21 Made in America

Listed nothing from Season 2, because in my mind, Season 2 is the legendary season.

Last edited by BarrettM; 11/25/10 02:20 PM.
Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: BarrettM] #586653
11/25/10 08:21 PM
11/25/10 08:21 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
"Employee of the Month" is one of the worst episodes.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #586658
11/25/10 10:55 PM
11/25/10 10:55 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

I wonder if we watched the same series..... I thought "Employee" was one of the BEST episodes. Wonderfully acted and had me REALLY wishing that Melfi would have told Tony about the rape.

Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: SC] #586665
11/26/10 10:19 AM
11/26/10 10:19 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline OP
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline OP
Underboss
Brazil
and I wonder if we missed Capo's irony alert.

I also loved "Employee of the Month"; I'd rather have Melfi being robbed or assaulted instead of raped - it's too obvious, but it's the same m.o. I mentioned in my original post; the writers had to exxagerate every situation to keep people thinking about it and waiting for next week's episode - but it was definitely worth for good drama. I remember I was absolutely hooked up to it the first time I watched.

also the scene when the russians break into Livia's old house was classic for me when I first watched, especially because I didn't know the full background on what Janice had done.

now back to "To Save Us All...", I agree with BarretM, the Santa Claus thing was silly as hell and the "christmas party" at the Bing soooo out of character for everybody.

I just have to disagree with your take on Season 3. it may be my favorite season despite "The Telltale Moozadell" and "...To Save Us All From Satan's Power" which really slowed the pace. those two are among my least favorite episodes too, and while I also loved Season 2, there are 2 lame episodes there too - "Commendatori" and "D-Girl" -, and of course, "A Hit is a Hit" also stands out in a bad way.

The Bunk
Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: Tony Mosrite] #586754
11/28/10 12:12 AM
11/28/10 12:12 AM
South of Tom's Town
Paddy Offline
Button
Paddy  Offline
Button
South of Tom's Town
I'd have to agree with the last post regarding least favorite episodes of Season 2. I normally just want to skip "A Hit is a Hit" when I'm rewatching the series (but don't) and "D-Girl" definitely ranks among my least favorite.
"Commendatori" isn't too well liked either, except for a couple of redeeming qualities, such as, for example, Furio's origin.

Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: Paddy] #586943
11/30/10 08:16 PM
11/30/10 08:16 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Season Three's highs are better than the other seasons' highs, even if overall it isn't the best. Season Two is possibly the most consistent.

I think it's telling of the pace of the writing (excellent) that the relationship arcs between Tony and Gloria, Meadow and Noah, and Meadow and Jackie, Jr. all seem to be given ample, sufficient space to develop and yet each only lasts a few episodes.

Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: SC] #586944
11/30/10 08:19 PM
11/30/10 08:19 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I wonder if we watched the same series..... I thought "Employee" was one of the BEST episodes. Wonderfully acted and had me REALLY wishing that Melfi would have told Tony about the rape.
I just find it contrived and obvious on so many levels. It creates all sorts of convenient moral stances on Chase and his writers' parts.

I had an interesting discussion on this episode recently here, did you read it?

Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #587086
12/02/10 12:36 PM
12/02/10 12:36 PM
South of Tom's Town
Paddy Offline
Button
Paddy  Offline
Button
South of Tom's Town
I remember that thread. Deep. As far as that goes, I'll just say that what is law and what is justice are not always the same.

I rewatched Employee of the Month last night. Yes, it's simple. But sometimes that's OK.

To stay on topic, for the record, I LIKE the flashbacks in To Save Us All from Satan's Power, inconsistencies and all. And I don't think hosting the community Christmas party is out of character one bit for the Jersey crew. It's akin to passing out turkeys at Thanksgiving.

And I always laugh when Paulie tells Bobbie "You're Santa because the boss of this family told you you're going to be Santa."

Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: Paddy] #587095
12/02/10 02:45 PM
12/02/10 02:45 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline OP
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline OP
Underboss
Brazil
yeah, having Paulie overreact about silly things was always funny. I just didn't buy the Santa Claus thing, but then it may be just me. also I rushed to watching "Pine Barrens" again instead of re-watching "To Save Us All..." tongue sometimes a second viewing changes everything.

now, are the flashbacks "inconsistent" or are they reflecting Tony's paranoid point of view?

The Bunk
Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: Tony Mosrite] #587104
12/02/10 04:03 PM
12/02/10 04:03 PM
South of Tom's Town
Paddy Offline
Button
Paddy  Offline
Button
South of Tom's Town
Pine Barrens is one of my favorite episodes, definitely. It also has to be about the funniest.

As far as Tony's paranoia goes in "To Save Us All...", Pussy was definitely acting strange. The only problem was that it was 1995 and Pussy had only been a rat since 1998, according to the FBI.

So maybe Tony was indeed just being paranoid. But given Pussy's demeanor in "To Save Us All..." I've always thought it simply an inconsistency in the series.

Re: "To Save Us All From Satan's Power"... [Re: Paddy] #589090
12/25/10 06:37 PM
12/25/10 06:37 PM
stevapalooza Offline
Button
stevapalooza  Offline
Button
All the episodes when Tony was in a coma are unwatchable for me. I also hated "The test dream" from season 5. Just one long dream sequence than got old fast.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull