GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, RushStreet, 1 invisible), 88 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,406
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,805
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,299
Posts1,058,142
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
phil leotardo #588908
12/21/10 07:51 PM
12/21/10 07:51 PM
T
thebarber Offline OP
Underboss
thebarber  Offline OP
T
Underboss

hey guys just wanted to get your opinoins on phil leotardo. I feel that at first phil was one of the best characters on the show. He seemedto play a great old school mob guy who takes no shit and was a little bitter bout doing some serious time. He also looked down at the soprano crew which i believe is prob true with alot of the major players in the NY mob and the NJ family. My problem is in the later episodes he was like a totally diffrent guy. He totally flipped his lid. Wanting revenge for his brother i can understand but wanting to take out a entre family heirarchy ??? And Y?? cause he didnt care for tony ?? That wud never happen. In my opinoin he went from one of the best characters to one of the worst characters

Re: phil leotardo [Re: thebarber] #588914
12/21/10 09:18 PM
12/21/10 09:18 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: thebarber

hey guys just wanted to get your opinoins on phil leotardo. I feel that at first phil was one of the best characters on the show. He seemedto play a great old school mob guy who takes no shit and was a little bitter bout doing some serious time. He also looked down at the soprano crew which i believe is prob true with alot of the major players in the NY mob and the NJ family. My problem is in the later episodes he was like a totally diffrent guy. He totally flipped his lid. Wanting revenge for his brother i can understand but wanting to take out a entre family heirarchy ??? And Y?? cause he didnt care for tony ?? That wud never happen. In my opinoin he went from one of the best characters to one of the worst characters

Phil was a great character who was an old school mob guy. Did 20 years and didn't talk or complain. I didn't think his beef with Tony was absurd like so many people do because a mafia rule was broken. His brother who was a made guy was killed by tony's cousin who wasn't even made. All Tony had to do was hand him over and it would have caused him less of a headache. Of course that didn't matter since they made Tony beat Phil which is absurd for a New jersey family to win a war with a New York Family. I liked the Sopranos but the only thing I didn't like was that they made the jersey Family just as strong as the New York Family. anybody who knows anything about mob history knows that that is bullshit. i knows the Sopranos is about the Jersey mafia so they have to make them look unbeatable but it is much different in real life. the Sopranos is based on the Decalvacante who are know by many Ny mobster even Gotti as the minor leagues.

Re: phil leotardo [Re: JCrusher] #589822
01/04/11 12:01 AM
01/04/11 12:01 AM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
So many times as I watched the Sopranos I thought to myself "David Chase is the best least knowledgeable man alive". I mean in so many areas the Sopranos was almost perfect and in so many so flawed.

ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about the Mafia knows that anyone in LCN that operated or lived in New Jersey was a level below the guys on the big side of the bridge.

Even guys that were in the five families that were in the NJ factions got treated poorly.

There were a few episodes where they called the demao (soprano family) what they would be called in real life:

Glorified Crew
Farmers
Sheep herders
Cattle backs

FatGirl:Your cute
Me:Ok
FatGirl:So you wanna buy me a drink?
Me:No
FatGirl:Why not?
Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

08/13/2009-jvanley Spanky Bar, 3rd stool from the left
Re: phil leotardo [Re: jvanley] #589824
01/04/11 12:22 AM
01/04/11 12:22 AM
R'lyeh
Lovecraft Offline
Made Member
Lovecraft  Offline
Made Member
R'lyeh
Jvanley, I think that the things that you're complaining about can be explained. The Demao crime family was probably looked down upon by the New York families, however, the story within the sopranos is told by a family operating in new jersey. Obviouslu we aren't going to see them spoken down to because Tony and his crew were valuable to the five families because they made them money.

Re: phil leotardo [Re: Lovecraft] #590305
01/09/11 07:54 PM
01/09/11 07:54 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Good Topic. The only thing unrealistic about the Sopranos is that they make the jersey mafia on the same level as New York, which is not accurate. The reason why they are called a glorified crew is because they are a smaller family and don't have much power except in tv land

Re: phil leotardo [Re: JCrusher] #590589
01/12/11 04:20 PM
01/12/11 04:20 PM
South of Tom's Town
Paddy Offline
Button
Paddy  Offline
Button
South of Tom's Town
I never felt that at all. I think it was pretty clear throughout the series that New Jersey didn't want to mess with New York if avoidable. The only reason NJ "won" is because Butchy agreed to a sit down because he felt his boss Phil Leotardo was being unreasonable, and then he gave the OK to whack Phil.
And I still feel that Tony was hit in the final episode and it was on New York's orders. With that in mind, along with Sil in a coma and Bobby dead, I don't know if NJ "won" anything in the end.

Re: phil leotardo [Re: Paddy] #590592
01/12/11 04:46 PM
01/12/11 04:46 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
It seems that NJ and NY were getting along pretty good until Johnny Sack moved to Jersey and told Tony that he had no intentions of sticking his beak in when it came to NJ business. Tony was aprehensive from the start. I too believe that Tony got whacked for taking out a NY boss...with or without Butch and Albie's "approval" at that warehouse sit down.

Re: phil leotardo [Re: Paddy] #590720
01/14/11 12:10 AM
01/14/11 12:10 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Paddy
I never felt that at all. I think it was pretty clear throughout the series that New Jersey didn't want to mess with New York if avoidable. The only reason NJ "won" is because Butchy agreed to a sit down because he felt his boss Phil Leotardo was being unreasonable, and then he gave the OK to whack Phil.
And I still feel that Tony was hit in the final episode and it was on New York's orders. With that in mind, along with Sil in a coma and Bobby dead, I don't know if NJ "won" anything in the end.

Fair Point. i guess part of me just wnats justice for Tony which means either he is dead or goes to jail. I still think they made the Jersey mafia way too powerful than it really is. I do a lot of reasearch on the mob and thats why it was bugging me. But you are right by the end the Soprano Family is pretty much dead

Re: phil leotardo [Re: JCrusher] #590772
01/14/11 05:49 PM
01/14/11 05:49 PM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member

I did some thinking on this and this is the bottom line: It is fictional TV. Was it VERY LOOSELY based on the Decavalcantes? yes. However, some of the guys in the soprano/demeo family were based on real life wiseguys in the 5 families.

They say Chrissy was supposed to be based off Nicky scarfo JR. Vito Spatafore is based off the Gay Vito in Roy Demeos crew.

again,it is fiction. IF you want purely factual television on the Mafia then watch the Bio channels "Mobsters". If you want an entertaining fictional show that leaves the mind to wonder "gee these things really could happen" then watch the sopranos.

I was guilty of this myself. We all need to start separating Fiction from Reality.

We all grew to love Tony and his crews, we would have all HATED it to see them be completely disrespected and got their balls broken by the NY Mafia like in real life. How could we have ever grown to like the show so much if Tony, pauly, sil and Chrissy constantly got their asses handed to them, cut out of schemes and killed. The Decavalcantes were known as the mafias "farm team". Hell even the outfit, the Philly Mob and even the Partricia familes had more respect than the Decavalcantes.

We grew to love these characters, we want to see bravado, huge balls and nobody fucks with me or I will kill you characters. We would have all not liked the show as much if it was portrayed the way life really was.

out

Last edited by jvanley; 01/14/11 05:53 PM.

FatGirl:Your cute
Me:Ok
FatGirl:So you wanna buy me a drink?
Me:No
FatGirl:Why not?
Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

08/13/2009-jvanley Spanky Bar, 3rd stool from the left
Re: phil leotardo [Re: jvanley] #590853
01/15/11 05:12 PM
01/15/11 05:12 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I think you misunderstood me. I know it's fiction and speaking of the show Mobsters thats a great show. I'm not saying they had to change the entire outlook of the show. However, things like killing Phil should have been done by his own family. They didn't have to make them be pussies but at the same time when you are a smll jersey up against the strongest New York family you do your best not to fuck with them. Whether it's the whole blundetto thing or the Ginny Sack thing. I like the Sopranos a lot but they could have handles the jersey/ new york war a bit differently

Re: phil leotardo [Re: thebarber] #591186
01/18/11 12:42 AM
01/18/11 12:42 AM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
The Decavalcantes may have been considered "mutts" and "farmers" by the New York families, but they were also known as very sharp businessmen and good earners who were actively involved in the more white collar crimes such as securities and exchange fraud, in addition to the more blue collar rackets such as construction and waste management.

They were also known for being somewhat amicable and reasonable compared to some of their counterparts, as well as the one family who could sort of unite all of the various factions amongst the New York families and Chicago outfits. Basically, they were smart enough to form alliances with guys from other families to avoid getting harassed all the time. That's why we see Tony and the crew as somewhat empathetic and engaging characters.

I think Phil's part is written pretty well, actually, asssuming I understand history correctly, in that, years after the Jersey families rose to semi-prominence (after the heads of all the 5 New York families were sent to jail) a conflict in New York erupted as two guys (i.e Phil Leotardo and John Sacrimoni) were competing for both New York and Jersey guys as to who was going to lead the pack. Guys were whacked out on both sides (in addition to the Fed's constantly infiltrating the families) and today New York has taken over most, if not all, of the remaining Jersey rackets following the decline of the DeCalvalcante family.

BTW- Speaking of Phil, Does anyone know anything about the house used for his character in the show??? confused

We see it in 6b, I think, as Phil is concealed inside whilst yelling down below to one of the members of the warring Luppertazzi's. It's a somewhat unassuming yet exremely lavish, gargantuan almost dome-shaped structure, located somewhere smack dab in the suburbs of Jersey Shore. The entire sprawling lot rests about a foot or two above the street and side walk.

I ask, because I seem to remember hearing it is in fact the real life home of Vincent Palermo, the real life Tony Soprano.

Re: phil leotardo [Re: Ice] #591263
01/18/11 09:25 PM
01/18/11 09:25 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Ice
I ask, because I seem to remember hearing it is in fact the real life home of Vincent Palermo, the real life Tony Soprano.

Now living in Texas, like you tongue.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: phil leotardo [Re: thebarber] #591335
01/19/11 01:59 PM
01/19/11 01:59 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: phil leotardo [Re: thebarber] #591364
01/19/11 06:30 PM
01/19/11 06:30 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Thanks guys!!

Re: phil leotardo [Re: thebarber] #591647
01/21/11 03:14 PM
01/21/11 03:14 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: thebarber

In my eyes, this is what made him such a compelling character. The whole arc of the character was fantastic. You start to realize he's a mirror image of Tony. A mob boss who is driven by a love for his family. Just as Tony spirals out of control the minute New York makes threats against his daughter, going so far as to curbstomp a made guy, even though it will start a huge conflict with mobsters he needs on his side, Phil spirals out of control the minute he has the power to get revenge on those he blames for his brother's death. The two make incredibly irrational attacks on each other's families, ignoring the fact that it could lead to disasters. On Tony's side, a war he can't win. On Phil's side, the loss of loyalty of his men.

Re: phil leotardo [Re: jvanley] #591741
01/22/11 01:43 PM
01/22/11 01:43 PM
T
Tyler_Durden Offline
Made Member
Tyler_Durden  Offline
T
Made Member
Originally Posted By: jvanley

We all grew to love Tony and his crews, we would have all HATED it to see them be completely disrespected and got their balls broken by the NY Mafia like in real life. How could we have ever grown to like the show so much if Tony, pauly, sil and Chrissy constantly got their asses handed to them, cut out of schemes and killed.

Actually that was the throughout the show,more or less.Tony was being constantly disrespected and patronized both by Carmine and Phil Leotardo.They made unreasonable and downright disrespectful financial demands(40% of the HUD scam or the asbestos dumping for example).Both Carmine("glorified crew", "a don doesn't wear shorts" and Phil("Jersey?Come on John") mocked them.Gerry Torciano roughed up Hesh despite knowing he was with Tony.Doc Santoro used Sil to set up Gerry Torciano despite knowing Sil might get hurt.They were always under NY's thumb.
Johnny Sack was the only one who respected Tony but he still tried to pull fast ones over him,such as playing Paulie and getting info from him.
The Decavalcantes were known as the mafias "farm team".

I don't think that was the case.NY mocked them as the "farmers",but they were not a 'farm team'.A farm team is where a major league team(so to speak) recruits members.Such was sometimes the case with the Tanglewood Boys and the Lucchese family.NY didn't recruit from the DeCavalcantes.
Hell even the outfit, the Philly Mob and even the Partricia familes had more respect than the Decavalcantes.

Well the Outfit is a given,but I'm not sure about the others.

As for the 'war',it was far fetched in the sense that in this day in age there would have to be a hell of a reason for two families to go to war.

But I'm not sure where people got the idea that Tony's family 'won'.
It was made clear from the very start that the situation was hopeless for the Jersey guys.But Tony was backed into a corner,he was marked for death anyway,so he had no choice.
-Paulie,who had big brass balls,and was portrayed as a legendary 'hitter' ,said "there could be a line at Cosarelli's(funeral place) a mile long".
-Tony's number 2 and 3 were hit
-Tony's crew had gone to ground.Meanwhile on the other side only Phil was hiding,the rest of his family was out in the open,and still no one got killed.
-The Jersey rackets were brining in no money.

The only they survived was because Butch betrayed Phil on account of Phil's implied threats over the phone,and it still took info from an FBI agent,else Tony would have never found Phil.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 01/22/11 01:44 PM.
Re: phil leotardo [Re: thebarber] #591819
01/23/11 02:14 PM
01/23/11 02:14 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I understand that the show is focused on the Jersey Mafia so they have to make them look superior to New York(which is a fucking joke} but I still feel there were other ways to do it. I know people have said that the only reason why Tony beat Phil was because of Butchie and I agree to an extent but why would New york just submit to jersey a family that is half as small as them. I know people will say money but with Tony wiped out New york could take over everything in jersey. It also sucks for Phil I mean his brother was killed and he can't evenb exact his revenge. Its funny because people talk about how Tony always has to submit to New york which isn't entirely true. Phil had to basically bend over for Tony on a ton of things

Re: phil leotardo [Re: JCrusher] #591822
01/23/11 02:30 PM
01/23/11 02:30 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
I understand that the show is focused on the Jersey Mafia so they have to make them look superior to New York(which is a fucking joke} but I still feel there were other ways to do it.

I agree, but you have to remember that the show is told from Tony's point of view. He's the "anti-hero," for better or worse. To put him in a subordinate position would take away from the character's strength. Plus, David Chase is from Jersey, and I think that also plays into it. Call it hometown pride (however unrealistic it may be).

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: phil leotardo [Re: pizzaboy] #591851
01/23/11 04:31 PM
01/23/11 04:31 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
I understand that the show is focused on the Jersey Mafia so they have to make them look superior to New York(which is a fucking joke} but I still feel there were other ways to do it.

I agree, but you have to remember that the show is told from Tony's point of view. He's the "anti-hero," for better or worse. To put him in a subordinate position would take away from the character's strength. Plus, David Chase is from Jersey, and I think that also plays into it. Call it hometown pride (however unrealistic it may be).

Ya I guess you can say that. To be truthful I guess i have hometoen bias since i'm a new yorker. For the most part the Sopranos had been a realistic showing of the mob. The only think I disagreed with from my research in mob history is that he made Jersey too strong. Other than that I think he did a real good job

Re: phil leotardo [Re: thebarber] #950300
08/15/18 06:29 PM
08/15/18 06:29 PM
Quiet_Doms Offline
Capo
Quiet_Doms  Offline
Capo
Phil was hilarious. He came home in the wrong era.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull