GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,348
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,723
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,802
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 62 of 73 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 72 73
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #767425
03/11/14 02:25 PM
03/11/14 02:25 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Kly, also....

Speaking of the 5th amendment, also Bridgette Kelly, Chris Christie's deputy chief of staff was in court today regarding BridgeGate and claiming the 5th on e-mails, docs, etc. Judge is going to go over the docs (could take some time). What are the odds that judge rules with Kelley? AND if so, what then, it's just dropped? confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #767427
03/11/14 02:43 PM
03/11/14 02:43 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: olivant
Kly, during her testimony before the US House's government oversight committee, Lois Lerner claimed her 5th amendment protection. However, other than by a grant of immunity, can 5th amendment protection ever be overcome? Also, does the 5th's protection extend to one's house's, papers, and effects as stated in the 4th amendment?

Answer to question #1 is yes. A witness may be compelled to testify despite a Fifth Amendment invocation if it is court ordered, which is rare, and happens in administrative, governmental hearings. If a witness testifies to a certain matter, and then seeks the protection of the Fifth, she may still be cross-examined within the strict boundaries of her former testimony.

However, under Kastigar (I forget the year), compelled testimony may not be used in a subsequent proceeding/trial over the defendant's guilt. And the prosecution in the subsequent trial has an onerous burden of establishing before the court that the evidence is entirely from evidence, independent from the compelled testimony in the former proceeding. This is the basis, on which Ollie North's criminal conviction was overturned: the prosecution could not meet its burden on appeal proving that the evidence against him did not result directly or indirectly from the former compelled testimony.

The Fifth's privilege does not extend to physical evidence, such as papers, emails, personal effects, etc. as those are determined by the Fourth and Fourteenth. Similarly, a person can not seek Fifth Amendment protection from the results of a blood test.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #767538
03/12/14 05:12 AM
03/12/14 05:12 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Does anyone really think the system is infallible? Can we bet a potentially innocent human being's life on it? It's the best we've got, but let's not pretend it's perfect. At least the wrongly imprisoned can be freed; no one argues for the dead, and it wouldn't do any good if they did. If you're a rabid supporter of the death penalty you have to accept that there's a chance that someone didn't do it but will be executed anyway. That's bs. In this case it was a good thing that the man was able to extend his legal fight and not have been executed immediately after trial the way some would have had it.

Quote:

UPDATE: Glenn Ford was indeed released from prison late Tuesday afternoon local time. The same judge who denied him relief in 2009 was the one who signed the order authorizing his release.
Ford's dogged lawyers and enlightened parish prosecutors in Shreveport both filed motions late last week informing a state trial judge that the time has come now to vacate Ford's murder conviction and death sentence. Why? Because prosecutors now say that they learned, late last year, of "credible evidence" that Ford "was neither present at, nor a participant in, the robbery and murder" of the victim in his case, a man named Isadore Rozeman...

Innocent man spent 30 years on death row

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #767593
03/12/14 02:16 PM
03/12/14 02:16 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Can we drop the whole Christie thing? Why do you people want him to fail? The man's a leader who can get shit done. I would still vote for him if the Presidential election were today

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #767638
03/12/14 05:11 PM
03/12/14 05:11 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Can we drop the whole Christie thing? Why do you people want him to fail? The man's a leader who can get shit done.

Joe, anti-Christie folks don't "want him to fail". They want him out of office. Getting shit done and breaking the law are not admirable qualities in a Governor. It remains to be seen what he has done. The Hurricane Sandy relief has turned into a debacle. There is more dirt being uncovered. It looks like he used the Hurricane as a public relations stunt. His bravado isn't winning any votes. It's becoming an annoying reality that he is no different than any other ambitious politician.

Last edited by MaryCas; 03/12/14 05:11 PM.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: IvyLeague] #767849
03/13/14 07:25 PM
03/13/14 07:25 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Should an Orthodox Jew have the right to run a bus service and insist that women sit in the back of the bus and dress as he sees fit?

Should a Muslim have the right to drive a taxi and refuse to serve women customers or anyone that he believes drinks liquor?

Yes, because it's their freedom of religion and these potential customers can use other companies if they don't like it.

in other words......you AGREE with racism and discrimination

i wonder what type of person AGREEs with racism and discrimination

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #767878
03/13/14 09:45 PM
03/13/14 09:45 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Joe, I really wanted to like Christie, but too many times he has acted like a bully who will stomp on anyone who dares to disagree with him. For example, there were some hecklers at one of his appearances today. He yelled at them and then had them thrown out.

You know what? Politicians have to develop a thick skin. You cant rant and rave all every time your way gets thwarted. Can you imagine him talking to Putin that way??

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #767882
03/13/14 10:36 PM
03/13/14 10:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
You know what? Politicians have to develop a thick skin.

In Christie's case, that's an understatement.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #769610
03/25/14 01:42 PM
03/25/14 01:42 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Kly and DT: can a civil suit be initiated against a juvenile and, if found liable, will the judgement follow them until satisfied?

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #769633
03/25/14 04:41 PM
03/25/14 04:41 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Joe, I really wanted to like Christie, but too many times he has acted like a bully who will stomp on anyone who dares to disagree with him. For example, there were some hecklers at one of his appearances today. He yelled at them and then had them thrown out.

You know what? Politicians have to develop a thick skin. You cant rant and rave all every time your way gets thwarted. Can you imagine him talking to Putin that way??

Yeah I guess I gotta admit it. His attitude does discourage me at times, and his lack of control over his staff. If it's proven he did something crooked directly I'd be the first to say chuck him out

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #769739
03/26/14 01:15 PM
03/26/14 01:15 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Kly and DT: can a civil suit be initiated against a juvenile and, if found liable, will the judgement follow them until satisfied?

A civil suit can be brought against a minor in limited areas. First, if the dispute involves a contract, then there is no cause to file a suit as the minor can withdraw from enforcement of a contract at any time as he has no competence to enter into it from the beginning. State laws vary somewhat on the extent to which a parent may be joined as a defendant with the child. For simple acts of negligence the parent can not be joined, but where it is contended that the parent was negligent for not appreciating a heightened risk of a child's behavior, whether or not volitional, then a parent in most states may be joined.

The courts and legislatures generally excuse children from unintentional torts as a policy measure of protecting them from their own improvidence. Car accidents are a different story as the child's standard of care is equal to that of an adult's because he is engaged in an adult activity.

A judgment would attach in this scenario that would last until satisfied. But there is a small area where minors could be sued because states don't want children bringing debt with them at the age of 18.

A gross exception to this is taking place, or maybe already did take place in NYC where a judge allowed the estate of an elderly woman to sue a 4 year old boy who rode his bicycle into her, causing her to fall and hurt herself. Parents were not negligent, so the suit proceeded. By the way, the woman died from causes unrelated to the 4 year-old's bike.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #769885
03/27/14 07:41 AM
03/27/14 07:41 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Hobby Lobby Transcript

This is the transcript of the arguments before the SC of the Hobby Lobby Case. What do people think of the argument touched on in the debate that under the government's position that theoretically the government could require for profit medical organizations/individuals to perform abortions and that therefore this would be a ridiculous and overly expansive outcome?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #769930
03/27/14 12:25 PM
03/27/14 12:25 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas

This is the transcript of the arguments before the SC of the Hobby Lobby Case. What do people think of the argument touched on in the debate that under the government's position that theoretically the government could require for profit medical organizations/individuals to perform abortions and that therefore this would be a ridiculous and overly expansive outcome?

I'm wading through the opinion and haven't gotten to that language yet. However, the compelling government interest, strict scrutiny, and least restrictive alternatives (among others) arguments and principles expressed so far are quite interesting. For those of you who aren't into jurisprudence, reading these arguments informs you about the complexity of the law's interpretation and application. Give it a try.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #769939
03/27/14 01:41 PM
03/27/14 01:41 PM
Midwest
LittleNicky Offline
Underboss
LittleNicky  Offline
Underboss
Midwest
I guarantee it is struck down. The government's arguments were pathetic, touching on political and public policy concerns rather than dealing with their oppositions strongest legal arguments.

A very simple application of Religious Freedom Restoration Act and by no means can we call this regulatory mandate the least restrictive means.

Of course it is logical and perfectly fine to disagree with the RFRA and prefer Smith, but that is not what this case is about. Under current law, the outcome is clear.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #769966
03/27/14 03:31 PM
03/27/14 03:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
I'm not so sure. One principle I did not cite in my prior post that came up in oral arguments was substantial burden which was not refuted by Clement. I'll have to read more of the arguments.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #770007
03/27/14 07:38 PM
03/27/14 07:38 PM
Midwest
LittleNicky Offline
Underboss
LittleNicky  Offline
Underboss
Midwest
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volok...obby-arguments/

Even Justice Breyer, the liberals among liberals, found the least restrictive means in doubt.

As the leading scholar in the country on the establishment clause put it today in the Washington Post:

Quote:

4. Has the government satisfied the least restrictive means test?
None of these approaches to the case involves making new law. But if the Justices wish to rest the decision on a still narrower ground, it could hold that the government failed to prove that the mandate is the least restrictive means of achieving its claimed interests. Justice Breyer may have been laying the groundwork for this type of resolution by asking why employer coverage is the least restrictive way to provide that access. Tr. 63. A decision focusing on least restrictive means would be easiest for the Court to distinguish in later cases, thus leaving the most room for the government to win future RFRA cases when its claims might be more meritorious.

Even accepting (arguendo) the notion that insurance coverage for contraceptives is a compelling interest, it is hardly obvious that the least restrictive way to provide that coverage is by forcing employers to provide it. Indeed, the governmentā€™s argument that Hobby Lobby should just drop insurance altogether demonstrates that the government actually does not view it as essential that people receive insurance through their employers as opposed to from other sources. The important point for the government, it seems, is that employees who work at Hobby Lobby have access to this coverage from some source.

This could be structured in any number of ways. The government could extend the same accommodation to the small number of businesses with this conscientious objection that it already has to religious employers. It could subsidize the contraceptive coverage directly. Employers with conscientious objections could compensate for not providing contraceptive coverage by adding other valuable coverage to the employeesā€™ plans, thus ensuring that the employer receives no financial benefit from the objection and that the employees bear no net burden. The government could allow employers to substitute cash for coverage on a tax-free and tax-deductible basis.

Ultimately, the governmentā€™s problem here is that it has essentially reduced its own compelling interest to a funding question: Who should pay for the contraceptive coverage the government has decided people should have? Almost by definition, where the governmentā€™s claimed interest is merely a question of who should fund something, there will always be less restrictive alternatives, because the government can always choose to fund its own priorities (which it of course does with a great many things that even the government would not claim to be compelling interests).

The political dynamics of this case have attracted extraordinary attention, but the Supreme Court is a court of law, not of politics. The excellent questions posed at oral argument are evidence that the Court intends to decide this case in accordance with standard principles of constitutional and statutory analysis. My guess is that in the cold light of legal principle, the challenge to the contraceptive mandate will carry the day.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #770168
03/28/14 03:41 PM
03/28/14 03:41 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Hobby Lobby Transcript

Did people expect anything else from Obamacare? Whether it's being forced to provide services for gay marriages or for abortion, we continue to see religious freedom assaulted everywhere by the secular left in this country.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #770176
03/28/14 04:05 PM
03/28/14 04:05 PM
North StL County, MO
S
StLguy Offline
Capo
StLguy  Offline
S
Capo
North StL County, MO
His attitude does discourage me at times, and his lack of control over his staff.

He probably has a hard time reaching it over all that fat. I doubt he gets any. I'd have a bad attitude if I was blueballing all the time too.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: IvyLeague] #770185
03/28/14 05:16 PM
03/28/14 05:16 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Hobby Lobby Transcript

Did people expect anything else from Obamacare? Whether it's being forced to provide services for gay marriages or for abortion, we continue to see religious freedom assaulted everywhere by the secular left in this country.

Okay how do the two correlate at all? My problems with Obamacare have nothing to do with gays or religious freedom, which by the way is not under assault. As long as people are not persecuted for the way they worship then there are no worries. I think if atheists left Christians alone, and vice versa there would be no problem. But for gays, while I agree to a certain extent that the agenda can be taken too far, I don't think it's too much to ask for marriage or at the very least, civil unions.

As for abortion I'm only in favor of it to an extent. Past a certain part of the cycle, a woman cannot view her body as the most important thing at stake. But for situations like rape or early on in the pregnancy absolutely it is their choice. We have enough people in the world as it is plus it still bothers me the Catholic Church still thinks contraception is immoral

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #770197
03/28/14 05:53 PM
03/28/14 05:53 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Hobby Lobby Transcript

Okay how do the two correlate at all? My problems with Obamacare have nothing to do with gays or religious freedom, which by the way is not under assault. As long as people are not persecuted for the way they worship then there are no worries. I think if atheists left Christians alone, and vice versa there would be no problem. But for gays, while I agree to a certain extent that the agenda can be taken too far, I don't think it's too much to ask for marriage or at the very least, civil unions.

As for abortion I'm only in favor of it to an extent. Past a certain part of the cycle, a woman cannot view her body as the most important thing at stake. But for situations like rape or early on in the pregnancy absolutely it is their choice. We have enough people in the world as it is plus it still bothers me the Catholic Church still thinks contraception is immoral

i don't think it's any man's right to tell a woman that she can't abort a kid

do you have any clue how many mothafuckas should've been aborted, swallowed, or spit out?

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: cookcounty] #770199
03/28/14 05:59 PM
03/28/14 05:59 PM
North StL County, MO
S
StLguy Offline
Capo
StLguy  Offline
S
Capo
North StL County, MO
"i don't think it's any man's right to tell a woman that she can't abort a kid"

I know and it's not that expensive if you go to the right place. The only medical equipment our local abortionist has in the office is a pair of steel-toed boots.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: cookcounty] #770206
03/28/14 07:39 PM
03/28/14 07:39 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: cookcounty
Hobby Lobby Transcript

i don't think it's any man's right to tell a woman that she can't abort a kid

do you have any clue how many mothafuckas should've been aborted, swallowed, or spit out?

I know one "muthafucka" that should've been aborted rolleyes

Life should be protected, but so should a woman's body as well, which is why I take the middle ground on abortion

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #770219
03/29/14 10:44 AM
03/29/14 10:44 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas

As for abortion I'm only in favor of it to an extent.

I take it then that you favor killing children if somebody has what they think is a good reason to do so.

Last edited by olivant; 03/29/14 10:45 AM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #770226
03/29/14 11:22 AM
03/29/14 11:22 AM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA

I take it then that you favor killing children if somebody has what they think is a good reason to do so.

Come on really? What kind of question is that? I said to an extent. There comes a point where a woman is too far along for an abortion and then it is a murder of a child. In cases of rape or the woman feels like she's not ready for a kid and it's very early in the pregnancy then yes I am in favor of it.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #770228
03/29/14 11:28 AM
03/29/14 11:28 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas

Come on really? What kind of question is that? I said to an extent. There comes a point where a woman is too far along for an abortion and then it is a murder of a child. In cases of rape or the woman feels like she's not ready for a kid and it's very early in the pregnancy then yes I am in favor of it.

Once again, you favor killing children when there is what you consider to be a good reason to do so. By the way, what devalues the life of a person that is conceived through rape?

Last edited by olivant; 03/29/14 11:28 AM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #770229
03/29/14 11:32 AM
03/29/14 11:32 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Must you always be so vulgar? This isn't the OC section. There are women who post in this section regularly.

In defense of Cook: If his mother is half as stupid as he is, she probably thought she just had gas.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #770230
03/29/14 11:33 AM
03/29/14 11:33 AM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Must you always be so vulgar? This isn't the OC section. There are women who post in this section regularly.

In defense of Cook: If his mother is half as stupid as he is, she probably thought she just had gas.

lol lol lol

Once again, you favor killing children when there is what you consider to be a good reason to do so. By the way, what devalues the life of a person that is conceived through rape?

Please stop making me out as some sort of advocate murder. I have my opinion and you have yours. Though I'm surprised that this comes from an upstart super liberal such as yourself.

Now in terms of rape it doesn't devalue the life of the baby. But it's not fair to the mother either. She didn't want to become pregnant so why should she be forced to go through something she didn't ask for? That's my reasoning. In that situation we have to look out for the well being of the woman first.

Last edited by 123JoeSchmo; 03/29/14 11:33 AM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #770244
03/29/14 12:44 PM
03/29/14 12:44 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas

In that situation we have to look out for the well being of the woman first.

Ah. The good reason rationale again.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #770247
03/29/14 12:57 PM
03/29/14 12:57 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA

In that situation we have to look out for the well being of the woman first.

Ah. The good reason rationale again.

Only in the early part of the pregnancy id say past 20 weeks is my limit. This is the case in the south for most states I believe

Oh and btw you're totally not coming off as a snob right now rolleyes

Last edited by 123JoeSchmo; 03/29/14 12:58 PM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #770259
03/29/14 02:43 PM
03/29/14 02:43 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
@pizzaboy

so you show your compassion for women by talking about my mother?

a women that you've never met

that's how u show women what a great racist guy u are

@joeschmo

go walk up to the first black man that you see and punch him in the face

instead of commenting on my comments that have nothing to do with u

Page 62 of 73 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 72 73

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull