GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 85 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,399
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,291
Posts1,058,076
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 73 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 72 73
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663586
08/30/12 08:49 PM
08/30/12 08:49 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663635
08/31/12 10:01 AM
08/31/12 10:01 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Kly, when an attorney represents a client in another state, how does he overcome the lack of his licensing in that state?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663652
08/31/12 12:07 PM
08/31/12 12:07 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: olivant
Kly, when an attorney represents a client in another state, how does he overcome the lack of his licensing in that state?

You can represent a client out of state under what's called, pro hac vice, (for this case). The attorney must be sponsored by another attorney in good standing, who is licensed and admitted to practice in the state. Some states may have additional minor requirements, but basically the priocedure is simple.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663655
08/31/12 12:21 PM
08/31/12 12:21 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
A federal appeals court has struck down Texas Voter ID law as racially discriminatory.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/politics/texas-voter-id-law/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court will hear arguments on the constitutionality of the Voter ID law in PA in about 2 weeks. I expect that it will be upheld. Our Supreme Court consisted of 7 members (4 Rs and 3 Ds), but it is presently at 6 as one of the justices was removed for corruption. That leaves it at 3 and 3. Although party lines are not necessarily determinative in the court's decisions, in order for the law to be stricken, 4 of the 6 must find it to be unconstitutional.

I was happy to see the decision of the the three-judge panel in the Texas case. These voter ID laws are clear attempts to marginalize the voting impact of the poor, elderly, and minorities. If I'm not mistaken, I believe a federal court had recently held that Texas' attempts to redraw the legislative districts were motivated by carving up the voting influence of minorities.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663750
09/01/12 04:04 AM
09/01/12 04:04 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
We need a voter ID aw. Anyone, even someone who does not own car or drive, can get a non-driver ID from Department of Motor Vehicles. Focus should be on states like Oregon and Maine, which make it easy for those here illegally to get driver's license, and then use it to vote.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663783
09/01/12 11:00 AM
09/01/12 11:00 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
I don't know where some Board members get their information. So much of it is anecdotal. So, I just surfed over to Oregon's Department of Motor Vehicles and accessed their driver's license requirements(Here's the link: http://cms.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/driverid/idproof.aspx#legal_presence)

So, I don't know how the information at this link would in any way support the conclusion of the poster above that Oregon is one of those states that makes it easy for illegal aliens to get driver's licenses. Its DL requirements are the same as those of Texas and Pennsylvania.

Last edited by olivant; 09/01/12 11:26 AM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663791
09/01/12 11:55 AM
09/01/12 11:55 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Oli,

Not only that but as I understand it, cases of voter fraud throughout the states is very very low (don't have exact figures) nationwide that this sudden worry of "illegal voters" is bogus. confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #663794
09/01/12 12:12 PM
09/01/12 12:12 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Oli,

Not only that but as I understand it, cases of voter fraud throughout the states is very very low (don't have exact figures) nationwide that this sudden worry of "illegal voters" is bogus. confused

TIS

You're exactly right TIS. It is motivated by people who just don't believe that certain people are "real" Americans per the Michelle Backmann's definition of the term. That definitionis what has plagued and still plagues the Republican Party and why (as expressed in the Businessweek article I posted above) Republicans are deperate to attract racial and ethnic minority voters.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663803
09/01/12 12:52 PM
09/01/12 12:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
In '64, GOP candidate Barry Goldwater was challenged because he was born in Arizona in 1908, four years before Arizona became a state. For that matter, all of our early Presidents were born British subjects. Martin Van Buren was the first to be born a US citizen.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663811
09/01/12 01:02 PM
09/01/12 01:02 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
I don't know where some Board members get their information. So much of it is anecdotal. So, I just surfed over to Oregon's Department of Motor Vehicles and accessed their driver's license requirements(Here's the link: http://cms.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/driverid/idproof.aspx#legal_presence)

So, I don't know how the information at this link would in any way support the conclusion of the poster above that Oregon is one of those states that makes it easy for illegal aliens to get driver's licenses. Its DL requirements are the same as those of Texas and Pennsylvania.

Because I know of a few who have gone there for it. I met them in school, it's no secret. I first found out 3 years ago when a classmate's sister was flying there to take driving test, for second time. I could not understand why, they explained, unashamedly, to me. What they say they require on website and what they actually require are obviously different. Her sister went, passed second test, and got a license. That enabled her to go for real estate license.
She now is selling real estate in Kingston, New York.

I did not mind when I heard, thought it was cool. Seeing how widespread and out of control it is past year ( I moved to New York City) I am changing opinion on the matter.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663812
09/01/12 01:03 PM
09/01/12 01:03 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
OK, they changed law, that is reason for new requirements. They want to change it back.

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2012/06/restoring_drivers_licenses_for.html

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #663813
09/01/12 01:22 PM
09/01/12 01:22 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
A 2006 study by the nonpartisan Brennan Center for Justice found that 18 percent of Americans age 65 and over did not have a photo ID. In Texas, even the Texas Conservative Coalition Research Institute admit that 37 percent of Texans over the age of 80 do not have a driver's license. The same study found that up to 25 percent of African Americans do not have a government-issued photo ID.

According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, women are more than twice as likely as men not to have a driver's license. In fact, one of every five senior women does not have a license. Also, a woman's name and address on a photo ID might not match those on the voter list due to name changes related to marriage, divorce and other factors. The Texas Department of Vital Statistics reports an average 200,000 marriages and divorces in Texas each year, after which it can take up to two months to get a new ID

For many seniors, disabled veterans, and hourly workers, getting a state-issued photo ID is not only costly and time-consuming, it is also difficult if not impractical to get to the forms and information needed to get an ID from agencies with limited locations and hours.

Nonpartisan academic studies show photo ID laws discourage turnout. An academic study of the 2004 presidential election conducted for the bipartisan Federal Election Assistance Commission found that states with voter ID laws had an overall turnout reduction of 3 percent, a figure that reached 5.7 percent among African Americans and 10 percent among Hispanics.

Sources: Brennan Center for Justice

Source: Caltech/MIT Voting Technology Project

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: jace] #663815
09/01/12 01:26 PM
09/01/12 01:26 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: jace

Because I know of a few who have gone there for it. I met them in school, it's no secret. I first found out 3 years ago when a classmate's sister was flying there to take driving test, for second time. I could not understand why, they explained, unashamedly, to me. What they say they require on website and what they actually require are obviously different. Her sister went, passed second test, and got a license. That enabled her to go for real estate license.
She now is selling real estate in Kingston, New York.

I did not mind when I heard, thought it was cool. Seeing how widespread and out of control it is past year ( I moved to New York City) I am changing opinion on the matter.

Out of curiosity, what part of NYC did you move to?

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #664204
09/03/12 03:48 PM
09/03/12 03:48 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
This is a excellent wide ranging discussion of civil liberties and the current Administration.

Jonathan Turley Interview

Quote:
TURLEY: Indeed. I heard from people in the administration after I wrote a column a couple weeks ago about the assassination policy. And they basically said, “Look, you’re not giving us our due. Holder said in the speech that we are following a constitutional analysis. And we have standards that we apply.” It is an incredibly seductive argument, but there is an incredible intellectual disconnect. Whatever they are doing, it can’t be called a constitutional process.

Obama has asserted the right to kill any citizen that he believes is a terrorist. He is not bound by this panel that only exists as an extension of his claimed inherent absolute authority. He can ignore them. He can circumvent them. In the end, with or without a panel, a president is unilaterally killing a US citizen. This is exactly what the framers of the Constitution told us not to do.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #664903
09/06/12 05:32 PM
09/06/12 05:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Drew Peterson found guilty. At last!

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #664905
09/06/12 05:58 PM
09/06/12 05:58 PM
California

California
Drew Peterson found guilty. At last!

No kidding. smile Besides giving me the creeps (and not to say it's in any way a reason to convict someone of murder), he comes off as an arrogant, self-centered asshole. I am not surprised of the verdict.

Btw, they never found his 4th wife right? Dear Lord, who knows where she may be buried. Her poor family. frown

Anyone see the movie with Rob Lowe playing him? Lowe actually did a good job of making you hate him.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 09/06/12 05:58 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #665343
09/09/12 06:58 AM
09/09/12 06:58 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/09...ange/?mobile=nc

Quote:
Last summer, a drunk Arizona police officer named Robb Gary Evans drove himself to a bar, flashed his badge to avoid paying cover at the door, and then walked up behind a woman, put his hand up her skirt, and ran his fingers over her genitals. A jury convicted him of sexual abuse, a felony with a maximum sentence of 2 and a half years in prison, and Evans was fired from the police force after an internal investigation.
Nevertheless, Arizona trial Judge Jacqueline Hatch, who was appointed to the bench by Gov. Jan Brewer (R-AZ), decided that Evans’ actions did not warrant jail time — sentencing him probation and 100 hours of community service. Evans also will not have to register as a sex offender. Yet, while Judge Hatch apparently did not view the disgraced former cop’s actions as particularly serious, she had some very harsh words for the woman he assaulted:

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #665380
09/09/12 10:51 AM
09/09/12 10:51 AM
California

California
I saw that article Lilo and it left me fuming.

If you wouldn’t have been there that night, none of this would have happened to you,” Hatch said.

WTF? I can not believe this judge would actually blame the victim. It's always the victim of this kind of crime that gets trashed. Pisses me off. That judge should NOT be a judge mad .

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 09/09/12 10:51 AM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #665404
09/09/12 12:32 PM
09/09/12 12:32 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilo
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/09...ange/?mobile=nc

Quote:
Last summer, a drunk Arizona police officer named Robb Gary Evans drove himself to a bar, flashed his badge to avoid paying cover at the door, and then walked up behind a woman, put his hand up her skirt, and ran his fingers over her genitals. A jury convicted him of sexual abuse, a felony with a maximum sentence of 2 and a half years in prison, and Evans was fired from the police force after an internal investigation.
Nevertheless, Arizona trial Judge Jacqueline Hatch, who was appointed to the bench by Gov. Jan Brewer (R-AZ), decided that Evans’ actions did not warrant jail time — sentencing him probation and 100 hours of community service. Evans also will not have to register as a sex offender. Yet, while Judge Hatch apparently did not view the disgraced former cop’s actions as particularly serious, she had some very harsh words for the woman he assaulted:

what the fuck? i really believe that there should be a review over judges decisions. this is bullshit, and idk if the victim can bring this up higher in the court system and try to bring the judge down or not.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #665998
09/12/12 10:23 PM
09/12/12 10:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Kly, enlighten me. The following is from Empire of Liberty:

" ... the federal courts could use the criminal common law to punish seditious libel even without a sedition [statute]..."

How does the common law fit in without a specific statute?

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #666068
09/13/12 02:39 PM
09/13/12 02:39 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Kly, enlighten me. The following is from Empire of Liberty:

" ... the federal courts could use the criminal common law to punish seditious libel even without a sedition [statute]..."

How does the common law fit in without a specific statute?

Wow, that's an awkwardly worded phrase. Was it written in a present context, or was it referring to a time prior to 1812? I ask this because while federal common law exists, there is really no criminal common law to punish crimes.

Sedition was a common law offense in England. Federal common law (after Erie v. Tompkins in the 1930s) is limited to certain areas, where Congress intentionally used vague and general language in statutes, and may be rendered moot with the enactment of a specific law. Anti-trust, interstate commerce, and civil rights come to mind.

But the federal courts have no authority to hear a criminal case, based solely on common law. Fortunately, sedition trials are very rare, likely because the offense has always seemed to be on shakyconstitutional ground.

My criminal practice was exclusively in state court, but I can not find a basis where a federal court can rely on common law today to punish a defendant for sedition.

Maybe docan be more of ahelp .

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: klydon1] #666071
09/13/12 03:08 PM
09/13/12 03:08 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Kly, the Federalists were trying to hang onto some power after Jefferson and the Republican Congress took over. The power they held onto was in the courts of which they retained control. Thus, sedition was an avenue they tried to use to deconstruct the Republicans.

What would be an example or two of state common law?

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #666082
09/13/12 04:19 PM
09/13/12 04:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
At the height of the McCarthy era, states and municipalities instituted loyalty oaths and anti-sedition laws almost at will. In the Jenks and Slowacher cases (I believe), the Supreme Court threw all of them out, ruling that Congress had occupied the field of sedition to the exclusion of the states and municipalities.

That was a tremendously positive ruling. States and cities were using their "laws" to fire teachers and other civil servants, impose curriculum changes, etc. That whole era was one of the most dangerous times in America.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #666115
09/14/12 06:17 AM
09/14/12 06:17 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
False Rape Charge

Quote:
A woman who lied to get a man arrested after falsely accusing him of rape was jailed for 15 months at Manchester Crown Court today.

Janet Higginbottom, 37, of Coombes View, Hyde, pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice at an earlier hearing and was sentenced today.

Police claimed the heinous crime brought undue distress and shame on the innocent man and his family, but detectives investigating the allegations soon discovered the woman’s plot.

Detective Constable Ian McNabb, of Longsight CID, said: "Higginbottom falsely accused a man of raping her, when in reality he was at home when the alleged offence took place.

“Due to her lies, not only did this man have to endure the shame of being arrested in front of his partner, but he also spent 11 hours in a police cell and had to deal with the associated stigma of being accused of such a grave offence.

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #666150
09/14/12 12:53 PM
09/14/12 12:53 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
What truly bothers me about this is that so many rapes go unreported. When something like this happens, it hurts all the victims. It can alter the police's response to a legitimate complaint, and that infuriates me. And it can make a victim hesitate to report their attack. Stupid woman.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #666457
09/17/12 01:21 PM
09/17/12 01:21 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

What would be an example or two of state common law?

Common law marriage is the first example that comes to mind. While state statutes do not recognize a marital union without proper licensing or a religious ceremony, the common law recognizes the legitimacy of a marriage where the couple cohabitates and presents themselves to the world as being married. Of course, these instances are fact sensitive. About 9 years ago Pennsylvania appellate courts abolished common law marriage within the Commonwealth.

Principles of equity in contract law are another example. There are areas of contract law that are addressed vaguely by statute. Equitable principles under common law are used by courts to avoid unfair results, unjust enrichment or dissolution of contractual obligations where the statutes may be silent.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: klydon1] #666476
09/17/12 03:01 PM
09/17/12 03:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Thanks Kly.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #666565
09/18/12 05:30 AM
09/18/12 05:30 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Scalia calls Posner a liar

Scalia says he has your "substantive due process" right here.

Quote:
Scalia said that judges cannot reinvent the wheel, particularly if precedent has been in place for a long time.
"We are textualists. We are originalists. We are not nuts," he said.
One prominent exception to that is Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court's 1973 ruling that legalized abortion. He does not consider that binding precedent, he said, because it was wrong, remains controversial and is an issue better left to legislators than judges.
What's more, the court's subsequent decisions on abortion are based on the judge-made theory of "substantive due process," which guarantees certain fundamental rights like privacy. It's "utterly idiotic," Scalia said...

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #666750
09/19/12 05:55 AM
09/19/12 05:55 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I thought that British police officers had started carrying weapons. I was surprised to learn that this isn't the case? confused

Two unarmed women officers murdered

Quote:
A man suspected of killing two PCs in Greater Manchester was on bail over a fatal pub shooting, police have confirmed.
Nicola Hughes, 23, and Fiona Bone, 32, were killed in a gun and grenade attack after apparently being lured by a hoax burglary report.
Dale Cregan is being held on suspicion of their murders and two others.
In June, Mr Cregan, 29, was questioned over the shooting of Mark Short in a Manchester pub and released on bail.
Detectives are continuing to question Mr Cregan, previously described as Manchester's most wanted man, over the deaths of PCs Hughes and Bone.

The police constables had been sent to investigate what appeared to be a routine burglary report in Abbey Gardens, Mottram, on Tuesday morning when they were attacked with a gun and grenade...

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #666857
09/19/12 06:52 PM
09/19/12 06:52 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
LMFAO. Lindsay Lohan arrested again in New York this morning for hit and run and leaving the scene of an accident. This kid is white trash personified. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear she was from the Ozarks rather than Long Island. And for the record, her parents should be executed on general principle.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Page 35 of 73 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 72 73

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull