GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 125 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,815
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,300
Posts1,058,172
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Top 10 frequently asked questions #4753
11/13/03 09:45 PM
11/13/03 09:45 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
It’s time for my annual (or is it semi-annual?) seat-of-the-pants Top Ten Most-Frequently-Asked Questions on these boards. This isn’t scientific: your comments, corrections and additions are welcome:

1. Did Roth engineer the cop’s entry into the bar, thwarting Frankie Pentangeli’s assassination? (This thread gets the Lifetime Achievement Award.)
2. Who killed the Tahoe shooters?
3. Did Connie really think that Fredo drowned?
4. Who is the “ghost lady” at Vito’s burial?
5. Was Michael wrong to kill Fredo?
6. Would Sonny have made a better Don than Michael?
7. If Clemenza (rather than Pentangeli) had been in GFII, would he have betrayed Michael?
8. Why didn’t Robert Duvall appear in GFIII?
9. Who was a better Don: Vito or Michael?
10. Which Don was the old guy who sang at Connie’s wedding?

Many regulars here get annoyed by newbies who ask these and other familiar questions without doing searches. They’re not wrong, IMO. But I don’t mind repeat questions because, once in a while, someone comes up with a new and interesting angle that hadn’t been posted before.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4754
11/13/03 10:49 PM
11/13/03 10:49 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline
Capo
Southeast USA
Originally posted by Turnbull:
It’s time for my annual (or is it semi-annual?) seat-of-the-pants Top Ten Most-Frequently-Asked Questions on these boards. This isn’t scientific: your comments, corrections and additions are welcome:

1. Did Roth engineer the cop’s entry into the bar, thwarting Frankie Pentangeli’s assassination? (This thread gets the Lifetime Achievement Award.)
7. If Clemenza (rather than Pentangeli) had been in GFII, would he have betrayed Michael?

Many regulars here get annoyed by newbies who ask these and other familiar questions without doing searches. They’re not wrong, IMO. But I don’t mind repeat questions because, once in a while, someone comes up with a new and interesting angle that hadn’t been posted before.
Grazie, Turnbull. Here's a fan's stab at it:

1. No. He was going to leave him hanging all along but he didn't have anything to do with the police.

2. Fredo's men. He intended it to be a hit all along. He got "passed over" and he never forgave Mike for it.

3. Of course not. She was the Matriarch of the family at that point and she was soothing Mike with a well known, family accepted lie.

4. 1972 movie camera problem.

5. Yes. A true Don would never have killed his brother. He would have banished him.

6. No, simply because Sonny would have been killed anyway due to his behavior. Mike was more wise, Sonny more street smart.

7. Yes, it was in the original script, I believe.

8. Money.

9. Vito. He knew how to seperate himself from his emotions while Michael never did. It may have been generational.

10. I believe the old man was a relative of Carmella's and not a Don, per se. He seems harmless and fun. Maybe it's Maranzalla's successor? orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4755
11/13/03 10:56 PM
11/13/03 10:56 PM
New York
SenatorGeary Offline
Wiseguy
SenatorGeary  Offline
Wiseguy
New York
I don't think Clemenza would have betrayed Mike, I dont think he would have had motive to... Whereas Pantangelli certainly did...

IMO The Rosato Brothers killed Clemenza.. and where trying to force Pantangelli out at well.. Pantangelli went to Mike for help, and Mike wouldnt help him. Frank was very loyal but got kicked around so much, even he had his limits.

"What's mine is not yours to give."
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4756
11/13/03 11:14 PM
11/13/03 11:14 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally posted by SenatorGeary:
I don't think Clemenza would have betrayed Mike, I dont think he would have had motive to... Whereas Pantangelli certainly did...

IMO The Rosato Brothers killed Clemenza.. and where trying to force Pantangelli out at well.. Pantangelli went to Mike for help, and Mike wouldnt help him. Frank was very loyal but got kicked around so much, even he had his limits.
I don't think he would betray the family either. Remember it was Tessio who did that. I think he did have a motive to because He wanted to form his own family but Michael wouldn't let him. this is my opinion.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4757
11/14/03 01:05 AM
11/14/03 01:05 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Good list TB! I believe just about every question is one that can hold different theories and views, which is probably why they are asked/posted so often. But really, that's what this board is about, the discussion and viewpoints. smile Thank goodness there isn't only cut and dry answers, at least for our sakes hu?? wink

Although, I don't know if it would be in the top ten, the question of who was a better wife for Michael has come up quite a few times since I've been here.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4758
11/14/03 01:09 AM
11/14/03 01:09 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Although, I don't know if it would be in the top ten, the question of who was a better wife for Michael has come up quite a few times since I've been here.

TIS
Yup, that's another frequent question, TIS--along with a parallel one: If Apollonia had lived, would she have protested, or gone along with Michael quietly?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4759
11/14/03 01:36 AM
11/14/03 01:36 AM
California

California
Thought of a couple more. Don't know if TB means just GF or all three but:

Who's a better actor Pacino or DeNiro

And how many discussions on the whole "Vincent" character have we had?? rolleyes

"Every time we're out they pull us back in" lol

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4760
11/14/03 02:20 AM
11/14/03 02:20 AM
sthlm, Sweden
Alberto_Neri Offline
Capo
Alberto_Neri  Offline
Capo
sthlm, Sweden
Should'nt the 5 or 6 families be somewhere in the top 10?

"After all, we're not communists"
- Barzini
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4761
11/14/03 08:03 AM
11/14/03 08:03 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Alberto_Neri:
Should'nt the 5 or 6 families be somewhere in the top 10?
Absolutely, AN. Altho I don't know what the debate is about. Clearly, there are six wink

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4762
11/14/03 08:26 AM
11/14/03 08:26 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
The Bright Side Of The Road
Could we add "Who is member #2?" smile

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4763
11/14/03 08:54 AM
11/14/03 08:54 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Ya gotta add:

"Who opened the drapes in Michael's bedroom?"

"How do you post a picture?"

As Turnbull put it in the thread's original post, I, too, don't mind these repeated questions. Every once in a while we get a different slant on things oft repeated, and we have to remember that we were all newbies at one time.

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4764
11/14/03 11:10 AM
11/14/03 11:10 AM
California

California
I don't remember if this was in the form of a question or not, but let's not forget the subject of Appollonia's breast! rolleyes That's been a rerun around here many times, as only the "important" things are discussed. lol

TIS

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4765
11/14/03 12:46 PM
11/14/03 12:46 PM
New York
Meggie Offline
Underboss
Meggie  Offline
Underboss
New York
Appolonia would have never protested any of Michael's decisions about the family business. Appolonia was from the old country, like Mama Coreleone knew her role and never interefered. She respected her husband and the family business. Kay was too "white bread" from New England, and very niave to the business, and thus not very tolerant.

LA BELLA MAFIA
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4766
11/14/03 02:28 PM
11/14/03 02:28 PM
New York
Meggie Offline
Underboss
Meggie  Offline
Underboss
New York
KAY
Michael, is it true?

MICHAEL
Don't ask me about my business, Kay...

KAY
Is it true?

MICHAEL
Don't ask me about my business...

KAY
No.

MICHAEL (as he slams his hand on the desk)
Enough!
(then)
Alright. This one time [Michael points his finger] -- this one time I'll let you ask me about
my affairs...

KAY (whispering)
Is it true? -- Is it?

MICHAEL (quietly, shaking his head)
No.

..Do you think that Appollonia would have been medling like Kay... I think not.

Like Calo said..She (Applolonia) would have made a good American Wife...

LA BELLA MAFIA
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4767
11/14/03 03:41 PM
11/14/03 03:41 PM
California
Special Kay Offline
Wiseguy
Special Kay  Offline
Wiseguy
California
Another frequent post: "Your feelings on GF III" -- or something to that extent.

Every kiss begins with Kay!

Senators and Presidents don't have men killed.
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4768
11/14/03 08:02 PM
11/14/03 08:02 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Another frequent question is "Why did the appearance of Frank Pentangelis brother, cause him to change his testimony?" cool

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4769
11/15/03 08:02 AM
11/15/03 08:02 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally posted by Special Kay:
Another frequent post: "Your feelings on GF III" -- or something to that extent.
Or one that I hate..."GF III sucks/ruined the trilogy/insert_deragatory_comment_here" tongue

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4770
11/15/03 11:59 PM
11/15/03 11:59 PM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
I don't remember if this was in the form of a question or not, but let's not forget the subject of Appollonia's breast! rolleyes That's been a rerun around here many times, as only the "important" things are discussed. lol

TIS
Good memory TIS. grin

We can't forget this topic of discussion.

Appolonia would have never protested any of Michael's decisions about the family business. Appolonia was from the old country, like Mama Coreleone knew her role and never interefered. She respected her husband and the family business. Kay was too "white bread" from New England, and very niave to the business, and thus not very tolerant.
I can agree with Meggie's post here. Appolonia would've never questioned any of Mike's business affairs.

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4771
11/16/03 10:11 PM
11/16/03 10:11 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline
Capo
Southeast USA
Don't forget:

"What's Immobiliare about?" orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4772
11/17/03 05:35 PM
11/17/03 05:35 PM
RollingStone Offline
Made Member
RollingStone  Offline
Made Member
If your talking about the old man who sings "Che La Luna" with Mamma C, I could swear I heard her call him up to the stage, with the first words of "Zi"- Uncle in Italian. Although in our culture, its common for us to call many of the older men, "Zi Pasquale" or "Don Pasquale" as a sign of respect

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4773
11/19/03 10:06 PM
11/19/03 10:06 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
I guess I'm still a newbie because I don't remember very many of those questions being asked...... This is certainly the place to come if you have a question... I don't know where else you could go and ask. confused In my case, I thought I pretty much had it all figured out, then I come here and find out all these other possibilities and that I was wrong about certain things and didn't notice other things... I wish we could have REAL group sessions on this, you know in person. I think it would be a lot more interesting that way. But.....

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4774
11/21/03 06:47 PM
11/21/03 06:47 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally posted by Turnbull:

I don't mind new questions at all, and can't see why the people who get annoyed do so. We were all a beginner once, with so many questions to ask, and not everybody has been on message boards before, hence not searching for an answer. It's hard to search for specific details anyway, as the search engine isn't like google; you to type the particular details.

And in addition, I think the more you explain things to other people, the more you figure things out for yourself and appreciate it more (for example, I was trying to explain the plot of Memento to my dad while we were watching it, and realised that before I had started explaining, I actually knew very little, but know a lot more now). smile

Saying that, I don't pop in here very often, so no need to get annoyed at newbies. smile

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4775
11/25/03 02:40 PM
11/25/03 02:40 PM
USA
Don Pope Offline
Underboss
Don Pope  Offline
Underboss
USA
"What's Immobiliare about?" orange [/QB][/QUOTE]

immobiliare is a real estate share holding company in europe.

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" -Micheal Corleone

"Suck it up, take the fall, do the time. That makes you what you are, that makes you who you are." -John Gotti

"you heard of the new chinese godfather? He made em an offer they couldnt understand" -Corrado Soprano

"Ahhh, im gonna go wash up" -Paulie Gultiari
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4776
11/25/03 04:10 PM
11/25/03 04:10 PM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
*what's your favorite gangsterfilm of all time
*which one do you like best gf1/2/3
*who was the best godfather brando pacino deniro

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4777
03/25/05 01:46 PM
03/25/05 01:46 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don Vanchenzo:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Turnbull:
[qb] It’s time for my annual (or is it semi-annual?) seat-of-the-pants Top Ten Most-Frequently-Asked Questions on these boards. This isn’t scientific: your comments, corrections and additions are welcome:

He had to cause he needed Pentangeli alive. I do not believe the theory that
"Michael Corleone says hello" was for the benefit of the bartender.

The real queestion is how many threads are devoted to this.

No. She knew.

Appolonia's ghost.
No. He was weak, he was stupid, and he had been warned never to take sides against the family again --- ever. But it really did break Michael's heart.

Sonny was running the operation into the ground. No way. Even Vito said he was a bad don.

Never.

He wanted too much money.
Vito.

He was an uncle...dunno.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4778
03/25/05 01:47 PM
03/25/05 01:47 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Turnbull!! Time to make a new list!

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4779
03/25/05 02:29 PM
03/25/05 02:29 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
I know what question must be added to it in the first place! Quite an achievement!
"What is all this GF plot about?!" grin

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4780
03/25/05 03:39 PM
03/25/05 03:39 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Don Vanchenzo:

10. I believe the old man was a relative of Carmella's and not a Don, per se. He seems harmless and fun. Maybe it's Maranzalla's successor? orange
I still believe that the old man was Nazorine The Baker's Father. Mama starts to sing the song and then calls "Nazorine" to come up and sing and the next thing we see is the old man picking up where Mama left off. Just my theory.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4781
03/25/05 03:40 PM
03/25/05 03:40 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by JustMe:
I know what question must be added to it in the first place! Quite an achievement!
"What is all this GF plot about?!" grin
It's about a King and his three sons....!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Top 10 frequently asked questions #4782
03/25/05 03:55 PM
03/25/05 03:55 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Originally posted by Don Vanchenzo:
[b] 10. Which Don was the old guy who sang at Connie’s wedding?

I still believe that the old man was Nazorine The Baker's Father. Mama starts to sing the song and then calls "Nazorine" to come up and sing and the next thing we see is the old man picking up where Mama left off. Just my theory.

Don Cardi cool [/b]
But didn't we see Nazorine in the Don's office and that didn't look like him.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull