GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 112 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,701
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,702
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans #398211
06/05/07 01:22 PM
06/05/07 01:22 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Sadly, it seems they're gonna tear down Satriale's... \:\(

"Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans

Quote:

By Christian Wiessner
Tue Jun 5, 7:04 AM ET

Every Saturday afternoon, the staff at the Satin Dolls go-go lounge clears the bar of matchbooks, coasters, napkins and anything else not nailed down because a sold-out tour bus is on the way from New York.

But the luxury coach heading for the nondescript, windowless building on a busy stretch of New Jersey highway isn't carrying rowdy bachelors with Bacchanalia in mind.

Soon, about four dozens fans of the hit television series "The Sopranos" file into the club, which since 1999 has doubled as the show's notorious, mob-run strip joint, the Bada Bing.

"Everything gets stolen off the bar, even if it doesn't say 'Satin Dolls' or 'Bada Bing' on it," said club manager Rouz, who, like the scantily-clad young women working the brass poles behind the bar, prefers to be known by just his first name.

HBO broadcasts the series finale of "The Sopranos" on June 10, and locations made famous by the saga of a northern New Jersey mob boss struggling to keep both his "families" in line attract flocks of fans.

"The 'Bada Bing' brings extra attention from people who wouldn't normally go to a go-go bar," Rouz said. "Most of them come in and have a look, then buy some merchandise and leave. And they don't know about the state laws."

Rouz was referring to the poetic license taken by the show's producers regarding New Jersey's policy on topless dancing and establishments that serve alcohol: you can have one or the other, but not both.

So while Tony Soprano and his crew sit in "the Bing" and plot their latest crimes amid a gaggle of topless dancers, Satin Dolls patrons are entertained by girls wearing bikinis and lingerie, albeit of the skimpiest variety.

One of the tour bus visitors is Paul Rickard of Inverness, Scotland, who says his rabid devotion to the show has little to do with the mob-related plot lines.

"It's about family, food and togetherness," he said between sips from a beer. "The mob is just a job, a distraction. Despite scenes of extreme violence, the show is about love."

Swiss tourist Antony Simone, sitting just down the bar from Rickard, says he's dreading a world in which he won't have fresh episodes to look forward to.

"I would like no end, because the Mafia has no end," he says.

PIZZA WITH MOB TIES

While "the Bing" has played a central role throughout the show's run and understandably attracts a fan following, any association with "The Sopranos" can prove a boon for business.

Pizzaland, a few miles south of Satin Dolls in North Arlington, appears for about one second during the show's opening credits. Despite never actually being in an episode, the already-thriving neighborhood favorite saw pizza sales spike once the show gained popularity.

The surprise to owner Paul Pawlowicz was how big a slice of his revenues now comes from shipping pizzas nationwide.

"They get shrink-wrapped, put on dry ice, and shipped overnight," Pawlowicz said as he pulled a steaming pie from the oven. "This week alone I've shipped pizzas to Texas, Louisiana and California, and I've sent 58 pies to a guy in Safety Harbor (Florida) this season alone."

"Hey, it's good pizza," he says, then adds a line that would be right at home in an episode of the show: "Once I get a customer, I got 'em for good."

THE HOUSE ON THE HILL

Interior scenes of the Soprano family home are actually shot on a soundstage in the New York City borough of Queens. But exterior shots, often showing Tony in an open bathrobe shuffling down his steep driveway to pick up the newspaper, are set at a "real home" in the affluent town of North Caldwell.

No federal agents taking pictures or waiting to have a "talk" with Tony were seen parked in front of the house on a recent drive-by. But the code of omerta was in effect for two carloads of fans circling the cul-de-sac to have a look at the house: both sped off quickly when approached for a comment.

PORK STORE? WHAT PORK STORE?

While most of the well-known locations on the show are actual commercial establishments, Satriale's pork store in Kearny has never existed.

Signage and the large pig that sits atop the brick-faced building were put up only for filming, and the site that saw its share of sit-downs and dismemberments will soon be whacked itself: Kearny officials say the town's planning board has approved an application from the owner to turn the property into condominiums.

Whether sight-seeing fans will continue to seek out "Sopranos" locations after the show's finale remains to be seen. But tour bus guide Marc Baron, who has been an extra in several episodes, is optimistic.

"There is such an interest from overseas fans and the popularity of the show has only grown since it began showing on A&E," Baron said, noting the cleaned-up reruns now showing on another cable station. "I think we've got a good five years left."

Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: J Geoff] #398227
06/05/07 02:19 PM
06/05/07 02:19 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Sadly, it seems they're gonna tear down Satriale's...

That was the highlight of the tour.

Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: SC] #398229
06/05/07 02:21 PM
06/05/07 02:21 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: SC

Who's the blonde with the nice butt? \:D

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: pizzaboy] #398231
06/05/07 02:23 PM
06/05/07 02:23 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Who's the blonde with the nice butt?

Just someone else taking the tour. If memory serves correctly she and her husband were from Europe.

P.S. Thats Geoff in the Satriale's shirt.

Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: SC] #398233
06/05/07 02:24 PM
06/05/07 02:24 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
His ass, I could live without seeing.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: pizzaboy] #398235
06/05/07 02:28 PM
06/05/07 02:28 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Here's a shot of TIS at the firehouse (right next door to Satriale's).

Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: SC] #398299
06/05/07 05:37 PM
06/05/07 05:37 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
 Originally Posted By: SC

PORK!!!!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: Sicilian Babe] #398324
06/05/07 08:16 PM
06/05/07 08:16 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

The other white meat? \:D

(Why the hell is my hair sticking up like that??)

PS - I wore that shirt bowling once \:D

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: J Geoff] #398325
06/05/07 08:36 PM
06/05/07 08:36 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York

The other white meat? \:D

(Why the hell is my hair sticking up like that??)

PS - I wore that shirt bowling once \:D

Your hair is sticking up?? And here I thought it was your halo!

Bowling? Is that what you younguns are calling it these days?? ;\)

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: J Geoff] #398335
06/05/07 09:12 PM
06/05/07 09:12 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I read this article today at work and was going to post it.

I am so happy that I got to go on the tour. \:\) Everytime the show comes on and I have company I'll see all these sites in the opening credits and say "I saw that! I saw that!" I didn't realize that Pizzaland was a chain; I thought the interior of the Soprano home was an actual home, but reading the "Soprano Book" I find only the outside is an actual home. Btw, anyone who purchased the book, did you see the set for the interior of the house? \:o Wow! What a glamorous set!!

Without a doubt though for me the highlight of that tour was the Bada Bing!!! Damn, I didn't even think of stealing matches or napkins. But I did buy a "Bada Bing" hat though.

Gee, I'm nostalgic for the show already and it's still got another episode to go. \:\/

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: "Sopranos" filming locations draw mobs of fans [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #399457
06/08/07 08:34 PM
06/08/07 08:34 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I used to pass the Bing everyday driving to work. Occasionally they would have a message on the marquee out front regarding the Sopranos. I never did see it dressed up as the Bing.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull