GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 116 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,190
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GF Returns - Wanna Laugh??? #279350
11/17/05 12:09 PM
11/17/05 12:09 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
Don Cardi, you are apparently rubbing off on people!!!

I've been (slowly) reading The Godfather during lunch hours here at work. A co-worker just walked up to me a few minutes ago & said, "I have something for you." ... and proceeded to place 'The Godfather Returns' on my desk!
He'd seen me reading the original & thought I might appreciate it.

Here's the best part...I thanked him and mentioned that I'd heard it wasn't very popular. He replied that he had gotten through only the first few chapters and decided he didn't like it and never read any further.

Not sure if I'll ever even open it, but as others have stated, it's nice to have it in 'the collection'!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: GF Returns - Wanna Laugh??? #279351
11/17/05 04:55 PM
11/17/05 04:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Don't tell anyone, but I actually put him up to it.

I also could NOT get through GF Returns. Very Boring!

So after about 9 - 10 months after putting it down, I picked it up again and just scanned through it picking out the parts that I thought may interest me. Still boring.

The Godfather's Revenge is coming out also and you know what? Being the GF whore that I am, I'll probably buy it.

So how far have you gotten in the GF novel?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: GF Returns - Wanna Laugh??? #279352
11/17/05 05:06 PM
11/17/05 05:06 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
I'm several pages into 'Book 2'...and am muddling through what appears to be the Johnny Fontaine story. Last left off at his friend Nino meeting up with Deanna Dunn.

I knew this minutae would come and have to admit to finding it 'mildly' interesting...but just the same am anxious to get back to the Corleone family.

I'll count my blessings and bide my time...all that 'Dr. Jules' crap lies ahead!!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: GF Returns - Wanna Laugh??? #279353
11/17/05 09:17 PM
11/17/05 09:17 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Just like a coworker.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with GFR. I did, and it took me several months to finish it. I was not motivated. Looks nice with the collection, but definitely not worth reading.

It's good you've started with the GF. There are many stories (other than the whole Dr. Jules issue) which are not mentioned in the story which are interesting. Besides, I don't find the Dr. Jules part all that uninteresting. Either way, happy reading!

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: GF Returns - Wanna Laugh??? #279354
11/18/05 06:37 AM
11/18/05 06:37 AM
Muscat, Oman
Don Zadjali Offline
Underboss
Don Zadjali  Offline
Underboss
Muscat, Oman

"Pain has no tendency, in its own right, to proliferate. When it is over, it is over, and the natural sequel is joy."
- C. S. Lewis

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh"
- George Bernard Shaw

Re: GF Returns - Wanna Laugh??? #279355
01/31/06 12:54 PM
01/31/06 12:54 PM
dunsatble, england
jordyallen101 Offline
Button
jordyallen101  Offline
Button
dunsatble, england
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:

Don't tell anyone, but I actually put him up to it.

I also could NOT get through GF Returns. Very Boring!

So after about 9 - 10 months after putting it down, I picked it up again and just scanned through it picking out the parts that I thought may interest me. Still boring.

The Godfather's Revenge is coming out also and you know what? Being the GF whore that I am, I'll probably buy it.

So how far have you gotten in the GF novel?

Don Cardi
Hi, I started it two days ago and really cant get into it. It just really isn't what I was hoping. So i just scanned throught to sections I might like.

errrr
Re: GF Returns - Wanna Laugh??? #279356
02/03/06 09:00 PM
02/03/06 09:00 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
I did start reading it a couple of days ago only because I finally finished 'The Godfather' and had nothing else on hand to read...and at least this would possibly serve as an immediate continuation.

I'll keep going as long as I can, but so far it's just not as easy a read as Puzo provided. The author appears to be attempting to intertwine Puzo's writing style along with his own, interjecting his own imagination as to the lives of the characters, which I suppose is his right to do.

But it is definitely NOT a smooth transition from one novel to another.

Of course, all of us here know we are dealing with two different writers, some 35 years apart. And we all know the first writer created a classic. I can't help but wonder what opinions would be if the two novels were presented as one without this knowledge. Would the difference still be so glaringly obvious??

Just wondering....

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: GF Returns - Wanna Laugh??? #279357
03/09/06 07:42 PM
03/09/06 07:42 PM
Corleone, Sicily
Dominic Corleone Offline
Button
Dominic Corleone  Offline
Button
Corleone, Sicily
and another thing about this book -

in Mario Puzo's novel Carlo Tramonti was the Don in Florida and this one says New Orleans.

so what did i miss.

All right, you are what you are. It’s your nature. You stay close to me. You don’t do anything. You keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open. And you do what I tell you. Understand?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull