GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (NickleCity, mustachepete, Captbony1999), 128 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,360
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,218
Posts1,056,202
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My opinion of the book #279066
03/10/05 12:01 PM
03/10/05 12:01 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
I thought it stunk. I really wanted to like this book despite what everyone was saying about it on the boards here.

It took me six months to read this. I usually read books the same length and longer in three weeks or so. Six months! This book gave me little or no reason to pick it up and read at any given time.

The reasons this book was horrid were numerous.

First, Winegardner created too many new characters that we couldn’t care less about. In the Godfather novel and movies, we’re shown the Corleone enemies; the Barzini’s, the Roths, the Lucchesi’s (sp?) only when they’re interacting with the Corleones. We don’t see them hatch their plans off by themselves. We only see the Corleone clan react to their plans and slowly figure out who is behind it. Here, Winegardner abandons this formula and spends too much time following these meaningless characters around as they hatch their plans against the Corleones.

Secondly, Winegardner gave the real characters nothing to do and most importantly, bastardized them. Mike can fly a plane and make passionate love to Kay? Fredo is gay? Hagen whacks a guy?

Thirdly, Winegardner botched the details on so many different occasions, it’s too much to even go into. That is probably the most unforgivable sin, IMO. You already have a bunch of source material (1 book, 3 movies) to go from. Windegardner seemed to ignore these details to make them up himself or change them altogether.

Fourth, the writing was bland. Winegardner couldn’t even say Mike crossed the road without twisting it around and making it more confusing that it needed to be. Puzo’s language was colorful, but always simple enough to understand in one reading. Winegardner’s writing style confused the hell out of me and made me want to stop at the end of the chapter because it was too confusing and boring to keep reading.

Finally, I still feel like I’ve learned little to nothing about what happened in the gaps between the original book and between the 3 movies. Clemenza died of a heart attack? Fine, even though I still believe it was something else. Where was Frankie Five-Angels? Don Tommasino? The Rosato Brothers? Too often Winegardner skipped over interesting details from the movies and book only to dive into something he made up himself that felt totally different than what we’ve come to expect from characters and plot.

Also, where’s the patented Godfather ending? There’s a structure to these things and there was nothing in the book. So Geraci gets away and Francie kills Billy. BFD!!! Where’s Michael in all of this and why doesn’t the ending resemble the endings to all three movies? Where’s the juxtaposition?

There were some good parts of the book. I liked the back-story behind Tessio’s death and the part about Mike’s war history. There were also some chunks here and there that were good. But overall, this book was a steaming turd. Hopefully it will fade into oblivion and no one will remember it even existed. Now if all die-hard Godfather fans who read the book could do the same...

Re: My opinion of the book #279067
03/10/05 12:12 PM
03/10/05 12:12 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
But overall, this book was a steaming turd.
Now, THAT'S the most succinct (and true) summation of the book yet.

Re: My opinion of the book #279068
03/11/05 07:20 PM
03/11/05 07:20 PM
Baltimore, MD
Don Provalone Offline
Capo
Don Provalone  Offline
Capo
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
[quote]Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
[b] But overall, this book was a steaming turd.
Now, THAT'S the most succinct (and true) summation of the book yet. [/b][/quote]... hmmm... does that mean that anyone who likes GFR is a fly?

"People who are not serious, should not be taken seriously"
Re: My opinion of the book #279069
03/15/05 06:09 PM
03/15/05 06:09 PM
Brooklyn!
Herky-Jerky Offline
Associate
Herky-Jerky  Offline
Associate
Brooklyn!
Quote:
Finally, I still feel like I’ve learned little to nothing about what happened in the gaps between the original book and between the 3 movies.
EXACTLY!!!!! I completely agree! This book was marketed completely wrong! You made some great points all around, DBC, even though I don't completely agree with you - I enjoyed the book for the most part - but it certainly DID NOT fill in the gaps between the original book and the movies - this was my biggest criticism. While reading the book, it definitely left me scratching my head wondering when those gaps would be filled - AND THEY NEVER WERE!

Another thing that bothered me about this book is it's stinking title:

THE GODFATHER RETURNS??????????? Does this make sense seeing that this book is a sequel/prequel rolled up in one? Does that mean part III which occurs after TGR is THE GODFATHER RETURNS AGAIN?

Anyone following my point on this one?

We just all have to face it, Mark Winegardner is NOT Mario Puzo - end of story!

"Ahhhh, no, no, no - you insulted him a little and you were a little out of line yourself! You insulted him a litte...ok!"
Re: My opinion of the book #279070
03/15/05 07:31 PM
03/15/05 07:31 PM
TheSicilian123 Offline
Underboss
TheSicilian123  Offline
Underboss
Mark made so many new people just so he could kill them off at the end I think.

If you had any fucking heart at all you'd be out stealin'! Joe Pecsi
Turn that thing off! You should be out stealing! Lefty
You put up and shut up, you hear nothing you say nothing! Just like you did for Bugsy! -Noodles
Re: My opinion of the book #279071
03/16/05 12:52 PM
03/16/05 12:52 PM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline
Made Member
Montauk  Offline
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Quote:
Fourth, the writing was bland. Winegardner couldn’t even say Mike crossed the road without twisting it around and making it more confusing that it needed to be. Puzo’s language was colorful, but always simple enough to understand in one reading. Winegardner’s writing style confused the hell out of me and made me want to stop at the end of the chapter because it was too confusing and boring to keep reading.
ABSO-EFFIN'-LUTELY!!!!

I too had to read and reread passages just to figure out what the hell this guy was talking about. For example, the flashback to Mike's initiation ceremony, Fredo's detention in Detroit or Windsor, Sonny's twins at college (oh, this was the worst), Geraci in the airplane, Johnny delivering the money to Mike (WHAT OUTBURST??? WHEN IS A STAREDOWN AN OUTBURST?????)

I mean there is absolutely no FLOW to this narrative whatsoever; but I guess I'm glued to it with a freeway-accident-gawker's interest. It seems like this guy was more influenced by Tarentino (who, at least, scrambles narrative and sequence in such a way that you're still along for the ride) than Puzo.

Montauk

We might be able to tape the gun behind it.
Re: My opinion of the book #279072
03/22/05 11:38 PM
03/22/05 11:38 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
I took the novel out of the library today and I already hate it.

Re: My opinion of the book #279073
03/24/05 03:09 PM
03/24/05 03:09 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
I'm reading Puzo's "The Fortunate Pilgrim" right now and it just reminds me of how good a writer Puzo was. TFP is filled with excellent imagery, descriptions and it still easy to read, unlike TGR. Winegardner was not the right guy for the job. Now I'm wondering what could have been had a different writer had been chosen for the job.

Re: My opinion of the book #279074
03/25/05 08:37 AM
03/25/05 08:37 AM
MA
C
chenille Offline
Wiseguy
chenille  Offline
C
Wiseguy
MA
something told me not to go out and buy this book..so when the library called to tell me that this book was available I eagerly curled up on my couch ready to get back to the characters I knew so well!! Wrong!! I fell asleep in 15 minutes..then I started from the middle of the book thinking it was more interesting there..then I stopped reading it altogether and went back to it the next day...then I returned it back to the library...it was just awful...

Re: My opinion of the book #279075
03/25/05 10:40 AM
03/25/05 10:40 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
The beginning is probably the best part... the scenes involving Tessio's murder are the best. After that it's a long steep decline.

Re: My opinion of the book #279076
03/25/05 12:01 PM
03/25/05 12:01 PM
TheSicilian123 Offline
Underboss
TheSicilian123  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
The beginning is probably the best part... the scenes involving Tessio's murder are the best. After that it's a long steep decline.
amen to that D.B.C.H

You put up and shut up, you hear nothing you say nothing! Just like you did for Bugsy! -Noodles
Re: My opinion of the book #279077
04/26/05 08:42 AM
04/26/05 08:42 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I brought the book the first week it came out Nov 04 and i have just finished it.The start was o.k introducing the Charecters,then the book just drags on with a poor finish

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: My opinion of the book #279078
04/30/05 04:07 PM
04/30/05 04:07 PM
Rocky Point Long Island New Yo...
D
donguer Offline
Associate
donguer  Offline
D
Associate
Rocky Point Long Island New Yo...
On Many levels this book bites the big one.
I won't dignify to critique this disaster.

Re: My opinion of the book #279079
05/01/05 07:45 PM
05/01/05 07:45 PM
TheSicilian123 Offline
Underboss
TheSicilian123  Offline
Underboss
I have to do a book talk on it for tomorrow.

Re: My opinion of the book #279080
05/01/05 09:46 PM
05/01/05 09:46 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
That was a very accurate, very true summarization of the book. With permission, I may refer to it as an accurate book summarization if questioned about GFR in the future.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: My opinion of the book #279081
05/02/05 04:06 PM
05/02/05 04:06 PM
TheSicilian123 Offline
Underboss
TheSicilian123  Offline
Underboss
I did my book talk on it today and ending it with "I really didn't like the book, there was alot I thought Maro Puzo wouldn't have liked. Well, I wish the book never was writen."

Re: My opinion of the book #279082
05/02/05 11:11 PM
05/02/05 11:11 PM
TheSicilian123 Offline
Underboss
TheSicilian123  Offline
Underboss
Well I got a B on it so maybe it was worth it.

Re: My opinion of the book #279083
05/03/05 09:57 AM
05/03/05 09:57 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Love:
That was a very accurate, very true summarization of the book. With permission, I may refer to it as an accurate book summarization if questioned about GFR in the future.
Go ahead. The more people you warn not to read this book the better.

Re: My opinion of the book #279084
05/11/05 06:52 PM
05/11/05 06:52 PM
North East England
Joolsie Cappucetti Offline
Made Member
Joolsie Cappucetti  Offline
Made Member
North East England
Have just read your critique, D.B.C.H., and I have to say I'm with you on every point.

When I first got Puzo's Godfather novel, I stayed in bed for three days reading it and wouldn't even answer the phone or the door. When I got MW's Godfather novel, it took me four months of vague perusal to reach the end. And it was only my desperate hunger for anything GF related that made me finish it.
I can't bear the fact that the films are finished, that Hagen's dead, that Mike's story is over... but I would happily endure that abyss rather than see somebody walk in and, as you so perfectly put it, bastardize a cast of characters that millions of us know so intimately and love so much.

In England, MW's book was released as "The Godfather - The Lost Years" which strikes me as a much more appropriate title for what MW was trying to do. But still, I don't feel that he in any way enlightened us about the lost years, about events we needed to know about in the fifties or stories we wanted to hear from the twenties. Kay's abortion revelation was not MW's to make. Francesca, Kathy and Billy - why? Why write any of that? And for me the most disturbing problem is that the delicate tragedy Puzo and Coppola created for Fredo (his inadequacy, his percieved unjust treatment, his fatal mistake) was according to GFR really to do with his feelings about his sexuality, and some out-of-the-blue cemetary scheme that MW obviously dreamt up.
There's a saying in writing that you're supposed to be able to 'kill your darlings' - that is, all your favourite phrases, sequences, ideas, events - you should be able to get rid of them if they're not entirely necessary to the art. And it just feels to me, reading GFR, that MW had a lot of darlings, and he didn't get rid of any of them, and the result is indulgence.
The only way I can reconcile myself to having read this book is by thinking "that would have been an interesting way for things to have turned out. Good job they didn't" and promptly telling myself that none of this has happened

Senator, we are both part of the same hypocrisy
Re: My opinion of the book #279085
05/12/05 04:47 PM
05/12/05 04:47 PM
Canada
SlimTrashman Offline
Made Member
SlimTrashman  Offline
Made Member
Canada
it took you three days and nights to read a book?

You go in alive and you come out dead
Re: My opinion of the book #279086
05/12/05 05:06 PM
05/12/05 05:06 PM
North East England
Joolsie Cappucetti Offline
Made Member
Joolsie Cappucetti  Offline
Made Member
North East England
I had to read three english lit texts, a french novel and italian poetry every week for two years at uni. When I read somethin non-school based, I like to take my time!

Senator, we are both part of the same hypocrisy
Re: My opinion of the book #279087
05/13/05 02:46 PM
05/13/05 02:46 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I just sold mine to a book dealer for $2.00 and it was well worth getting rid of it.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: My opinion of the book #279088
05/14/05 12:13 AM
05/14/05 12:13 AM
united states
chrispk Offline
Associate
chrispk  Offline
Associate
united states
I agree with the majority of posts here. Winegardeners' book is a complete departure from the characters and personalities created by Puzo. Reading it was something done out of sheer desparation for new Corleone material. However; I didn't disregard the book until I got to section where a young Sonny witnessed his father kill Fanuchi. How perposterous[sic]. That Nick Geraci was b/s too. He couldn't stand up to Michael.

c
Re: My opinion of the book #279089
05/14/05 09:55 AM
05/14/05 09:55 AM
TheSicilian123 Offline
Underboss
TheSicilian123  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by chrispk:
I didn't disregard the book until I got to section where a young Sonny witnessed his father kill Fanuchi.
Just to let you know in case you didn't know. Sonny seeing Vito kill Fanuchi was in The Godfather book. So, it wasnt Marks Idea. It was Puzos

Re: My opinion of the book #279090
05/14/05 10:13 AM
05/14/05 10:13 AM
united states
chrispk Offline
Associate
chrispk  Offline
Associate
united states
Quote:
Originally posted by TheSicilian123:
[quote]Originally posted by chrispk:
[b] I didn't disregard the book until I got to section where a young Sonny witnessed his father kill Fanuchi.
Just to let you know in case you didn't know. Sonny seeing Vito kill Fanuchi was in The Godfather book. So, it wasnt Marks Idea. It was Puzos [/b][/quote]My bad.
I don't recall that being in the book. I guess I'll have to scan through my old paperback to bring myself back up to speed. I still think the GFR blows though!

c
Re: My opinion of the book #279091
05/14/05 05:23 PM
05/14/05 05:23 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
I just sold mine to a book dealer for $2.00 and it was well worth getting rid of it.
Sounds like one of your most important business deals.

See that is where you are making your biggest mistake.
In the years to come, that book will be worth big bucks.
Godfather collectors will search the world over for them, why? Because no one will keep it and few will survive.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: My opinion of the book #279092
05/14/05 05:49 PM
05/14/05 05:49 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I'll make sure i keep mine then

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: My opinion of the book #279093
05/16/05 09:35 AM
05/16/05 09:35 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
I'll keep mine just in case I feel the need to revist this god awful book to remind my self how bad things can get.

Re: My opinion of the book #279094
05/16/05 02:37 PM
05/16/05 02:37 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Are they even going to bother putting it out in paperback?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: My opinion of the book #279095
05/17/05 09:21 AM
05/17/05 09:21 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
They might but I doubt it'll be in a large quantity. But they might just cut their losses and say fuggedaboutit.

Re: My opinion of the book #279096
07/11/05 07:28 PM
07/11/05 07:28 PM
A
Ameer Offline
Wiseguy
Ameer  Offline
A
Wiseguy
I just read GFR about three weeks while on a long trip, just because I was borred. I personally think that it is an insult to the movies and original book, especially in the ways that many people are portrayed. Also, the Dons in Puzo's book are much more civilized than the Dons in GFR;they sound more like characters from scarface than from the Godfather. And this is mentioning none of the inaccuracies that he so conveniently put in.

Re: My opinion of the book #279097
07/11/05 08:59 PM
07/11/05 08:59 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Amen to that, Ameer!

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: My opinion of the book #279098
07/12/05 04:18 PM
07/12/05 04:18 PM
A
Ameer Offline
Wiseguy
Ameer  Offline
A
Wiseguy
Also, he spent way too much time (in my opinion) on irrelivant stuff. Fredo did too much stuff that really accomplished nothing in the storyline but rehash the point that he was a bumb with a crazy idea to move a ton of corpses. Also, to touch once again on the lack of linkage with old characters, he basically created several new people and gave a little more substance to characters that were there just for completeness.
In short, it doesn't interfere (very much) withu the movies, but the linkage isn't that good either.

Re: My opinion of the book #279099
07/28/05 02:39 PM
07/28/05 02:39 PM
Warsaw
Joe Batters Offline
Capo
Joe Batters  Offline
Capo
Warsaw
I didn't really like Fredo but not enough for him to be gay, what happened to him Banging cocktail waitresses two at a time?

Aspanu summon the all of the chiefs
DEATH TO ALL WHO BETRAY GIULIANO!
Re: My opinion of the book #279100
08/28/05 05:59 PM
08/28/05 05:59 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Not a big deal

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: My opinion of the book [Re: Don Pappo Napolitano] #486178
04/28/08 09:21 PM
04/28/08 09:21 PM
mercop Offline
Don
mercop  Offline
Don
Button
I agree with evreything said here, I'll admit i couldnt finish it I read about 200 pages and evreyone I said to myself wheres Micheal lol.

"I'll reason with him" Vito Corleone
Re: My opinion of the book [Re: mercop] #497121
07/02/08 11:39 PM
07/02/08 11:39 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline
Button
45ACP  Offline
Button
Oklahoma
I struggled through 173 of 538 pages but ran into a dead end in Chapter 12 - Book III - Fall -Christmas 1955. I am convinced Winegardner is a dope head and was under the influence when he wrote this part. I know the words are in English, but they make no sense. He is totally babbling. I absolutely could not decifer his writing. I have put it down for good.

I will try out his second attempt, "Revenge" but I don't suffer fools for long.

Re: My opinion of the book [Re: chrispk] #514558
10/08/08 10:17 PM
10/08/08 10:17 PM
Hell
FredoCorleone Offline
Professor With The Hardhat
FredoCorleone  Offline
Professor With The Hardhat
Button
Hell
It was mentioned in the original novel on how Sonny witnessed Fanuccis death.
Sonny said it himself.

Need scriptwriter for upcoming Godfather Part 4, Personal message me if you wish to participate!
Re: My opinion of the book [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #514765
10/10/08 08:20 AM
10/10/08 08:20 AM
Belgium
Moltisanti Offline
Wiseguy
Moltisanti  Offline
Wiseguy
Belgium
Why didn't I read this topic earlier? I bought this book yesterday for €6 (8,5 USD I guess). I thought it was well worth it but apparently it is really awful. I'll read the book anyway and hopefully it can please me more than it did you fellas.

There are 3 ways of doing things around here: the right way, the wrong way or the way that I do it!
Re: My opinion of the book [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #537193
04/11/09 03:20 AM
04/11/09 03:20 AM
R
rerteu Offline
BANNED SPAMMER
rerteu  Offline
BANNED SPAMMER
R
Wiseguy
I am almost finish the book.

Re: My opinion of the book [Re: Don Pappo Napolitano] #537196