GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 111 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,355
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,735
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,849
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
*Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* #278845
12/18/04 02:23 AM
12/18/04 02:23 AM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline OP
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline OP
Capo
Southeast USA
Spoiler Alert

I just started the book and here's my take:

1. The introduction of Geraci is done fairly well; however, he is forced down the reader's throat immediately. Ironically, I find this to be the similar manner that FFC forced Frank Pentangeli down us in GFII. I would have preferred a more gradual acquaintance.

2. Tessio's hit was well done vis a vis the methods followed. It is totally plausible.

3. I do not believe Winegardner came anywhere close to the mark regarding the portrayal of Tessio himself. Example being the vulgarity used by Sally at the time immediately prior to his execution. Both the novel and the movies portrayed Tessio as a tough, old school capo who did not share Clemenza's flare for colorful language. Rather than having Tessio staring at the ground, I would have thought Tessio would have been head up to survey the situation. He was dead, he knew it. As Mike said, Tessio was the smarter capo.

4. I imagine Tessio watching his death unfold in an almost objective way -- "Who will do it? Neri could have killed me right away with the other guys. Why are they waiting? Is Mike gonna make Pete do it? Is that Mike's revenge for Pete's mistake with Paulie Gatto? Surely not. He must want someone to make his bones. But who? Oh, wait, who just came in? Mother Mary it's Geraci! That's clever. It's a real test. Mike must have big things in mind for him."

5. Neri would never have put more than one bullet in the gun. Geraci was a friend of Tessio's (Geraci was wearing the watch Sally had given him for graduation when Geraci killed him) and who could tell if Geraci would have tried something. Neri was way too careful to do something so stupid.

6. Winegardner did not tie Geraci into Sally well enough given that Geraci was one of the guys used by Clemenza and Pauli Gatto to attack the thugs that violated Amerigo's daughter. They were known as truck-drivers in the novel so perhaps Geraci drove truck for Tessio and was on loan to Clemenza for the attack; but, that goes unstated. The implication is that Tessio took care of Bonesara's request and that is simply not accurate per the novel or the movie.

7. Tessio would definately speak of something being just business, definately speak italian; however, he would never say "youse". He was not Brooklin born and his dialogue in the movie and the novel was never peppered in Flatbush-eese.

8. Dodgers/Phillies game - enough's been said about that.

9. Geraci's conversation with Michael had convincing dialogue that I could hear Pacino speak. Problem is that Michael would never have called him - Vito warned Michael about using the phone. It should have been Tom and it would have been Tom.

10. Chapter 2 was very believable with Connie snuggling little Michael, Kay with her parents with the kids and Momma Corleone looking for a priest in Sin City (this really is played off the novel)

My overall take on the first 2 Chapters: C-

Any thoughts?

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: *Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* #278846
12/18/04 12:05 PM
12/18/04 12:05 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vanchenzo:
3. I do not believe Winegardner came anywhere close to the mark regarding the portrayal of Tessio himself. Example being the vulgarity used by Sally at the time immediately prior to his execution.
4. I imagine Tessio watching his death unfold in an almost objective way ...
5. Neri would never have put more than one bullet in the gun. .
7. Tessio would definately speak of something being just business, definately speak italian; however, he would never say "youse".

Any thoughts?
Very interesting points!
I agree with them. I read only 1 chapter that is in the net, I don't know anything about 2. My thoughts about 1 are here.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: *Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* #278847
12/20/04 06:22 PM
12/20/04 06:22 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
I agree with most of what you said. It does start out as a fairly decent novel. Be warned,your analsis as you go deeper in the book will become longer and longer with things that should never be.
Good Luck

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: *Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* #278848
12/24/04 08:12 AM
12/24/04 08:12 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
It does start out as a fairly decent novel. Be warned,your analsis as you go deeper in the book will become longer and longer with things that should never be.
Yes, that's a great problem. I have it always with GF3
But there are pretty much impossibilities in the 1 chapter also :rolleyes: .

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: *Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* #278849
01/18/06 09:52 PM
01/18/06 09:52 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Over in the GF Trilogy Thread a new member named Frank White asked about Tessio, his death and The Godfather Returns. So I have revived this topic for him.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull