GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, 1 invisible), 124 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,815
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,301
Posts1,058,186
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207188
10/23/02 11:15 PM
10/23/02 11:15 PM
Orlando, Florida
SammyTheGroin Offline
Wiseguy
SammyTheGroin  Offline
Wiseguy
Orlando, Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Jules Segal:
I say any Hollywood pezzonvante that dares cast Leonardo DiCaprio as Santino Corleone is going to end up with a horse's head in his bed.
I think everyone agrees on that...hehehehe.

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207189
10/23/02 11:22 PM
10/23/02 11:22 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by SammyTheGroin:
[quote]Originally posted by Dr Jules Segal:
[b]I say any Hollywood pezzonvante that dares cast Leonardo DiCaprio as Santino Corleone is going to end up with a horse's head in his bed.
I think everyone agrees on that...hehehehe.[/b][/quote]or DiCaprio may play the part of Karthoum!

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207190
10/24/02 12:50 AM
10/24/02 12:50 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Jules Segal:
I say any Hollywood pezzonvante that dares cast Leonardo DiCaprio as Santino Corleone is going to end up with a horse's head in his bed.
Yeah, some "Hollywood finocchio" in The Godfather?! :rolleyes:

JG

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207191
10/24/02 12:51 AM
10/24/02 12:51 AM
Texas
R
Robert DeNiro Offline
Button
Robert DeNiro  Offline
R
Button
Texas
I'm hearing alot about the story focusing on Vincent and a young Santino. I'm sorry, but I would not be fascinated with that at all. Instead, I dont mind them focusing on Vincent, but I think its a must that DeNiro be brought back to reprise as Vito. I wanna see what happens between his younger days in Part II and the beginning of the end in the Godfather. Other than DeNiro and Garcia, I would prefer to see unknowns fill the rest of the major roles. (except for Pacino if he is somehow reprising as Michael in his later years).

Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you, but dont ever take sides with anyone against the family again
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207192
10/24/02 08:39 AM
10/24/02 08:39 AM
Detroit
O
Oblong Offline
Made Member
Oblong  Offline
O
Made Member
Detroit
De Niro is older than Brando was in part I.

I'll wait and see how DiCaprio does in Scorsese's new movie before deciding on whether he'd be a good fit for any potential GF movie.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207193
10/24/02 09:00 AM
10/24/02 09:00 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I'm with you Robert DeNiro! I've always wanted them to go back to the "missing years" as opposed to ahead. And couldn't DeNiro still play Vito at middle age?

And Oblong, I didn't see DiCaprio's movie Gangs of New York yet, however I saw previews twice, and from what I could detect, I still think he could pull off the part of "Sonny." However, I know my friends here disagree strongly. :p

However, reading the articles that have been posted, it sounds as tho that Garcia is really interested and reference has been made to continue Vincent's story with flasbacks with DiCaprio as young Sonny, much like GF II. We will have to wait to see first if this ever comes about I guess.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207194
10/24/02 10:49 AM
10/24/02 10:49 AM
Detroit
O
Oblong Offline
Made Member
Oblong  Offline
O
Made Member
Detroit
I think he's certainly capable of pulling it off. He' a very good actor. He's not the Titanic teeny bopper. That may have been the worst thing he could have done for his career.

In fact, the more I think about it, he may be perfect for Sonny. Sonny was a playboy, a ladies man.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207195
10/24/02 11:02 AM
10/24/02 11:02 AM
Snake Eyes Offline
Made Member
Snake Eyes  Offline
Made Member
Im not sure that would work....but it could. I hope whatever they do that they dont ruin this movie. That would make me so mad. You cant ruin the godfather sag!

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207196
10/24/02 02:04 PM
10/24/02 02:04 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
I thought Leo did a wonderful job in Gilbert Grape. I do agree that we should wait to see what he does in "gangs in New York".
I agree with Italian, no more of the latin accented ANDY GARCIA (the next big thing that never materialized).

Also, lets get Anthony out of singing. How realistic will it be for Anthony to keep belting out songs after is only sibbling was killed on the night of his operic debut.

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207197
10/24/02 02:15 PM
10/24/02 02:15 PM
California

California
Deathkiss,

I think Anthony entering and rising up the "crime" ladder would be perfect as well, turning bitter and angry perhaps, since his sister's murder and father's death, etc.

Btw, who did play Anthony? I don't think I knew him and is he still around?

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207198
10/24/02 02:20 PM
10/24/02 02:20 PM
Snake Eyes Offline
Made Member
Snake Eyes  Offline
Made Member
I was just thinking after seeing number 3 today for the first time, that if they made number 4 Anthony would get into the "family Buissness" I guess the saying is true great minds think alike.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207199
10/24/02 03:14 PM
10/24/02 03:14 PM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
Snake Eyes, if that was the case GF4 would be a repetition of GF1 (the innocent son become like his terrifying father etc.)

like that they can go on making a Godfather movie on and on and on, GF5, GF6, in 2078 a GF31 will be there.

and quite frankly, I think they should end it sooner or later...

Now I've become a big fan the last couple of years, but never really went to a brand new GF film, so I dig the idea of a GF4 if well done (but I think it will destroy the saga anyway). After that, they should REALLY end it.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207200
10/25/02 12:08 AM
10/25/02 12:08 AM
then - Philippines; now - Phoe...
don papa Offline
Made Member
don papa  Offline
Made Member
then - Philippines; now - Phoe...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonsAdvisor:
[QB I guess you might object to these too:

* Marlon Brando playing Vito? Brando is of Irish descent. And regarding political activism, remember when Brando sent a Native American to refuse his Godfather Oscar? What about Brando's anti-semetic statements, for which he later apologized?

* Al Pacino playing Scarface? (where Robert Loggio is Lopez, Murray Abraham is Omar Suarez) or in Carlito's Way? Does that Pacino is not hispanic take away from these films?

* DeNiro playing Young Vito? DeNiro is Irish-Italian - more Irish than Italian.

What about Charlton Heston playing Moses? Heston is not Jewish. Or just about any western in which someone played an Indian or Mexican (i.e. Eli Wallach - Don Altobello in GF3 - playing Ugly Mexican Tuco in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly").[/QB]
i agree with Don's Advisor -- it doesn't matter what the nationality or heritage is, whether Italian, Irish, German, etc. what matters, at the end of the day, is talent. now, Andy Garcia's talent (or the lack of it) in portraying a Corleone, is another matter.

"Never tell anybody outside the family what you're thinking again!" - Don Vito to Sonny

"Never let anyone know what you're thinking." - Michael to Vincent
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207201
10/25/02 01:32 AM
10/25/02 01:32 AM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline
Underboss
New York
TIS, don papa

Your points are well taken. If a character is typecast too much, whether it be playing an ethnic role, villain, tough guy etc. they are less believable for future roles. Hence, I must admit that if Andy Garcia gets stereotyped as a latino actor, it would be tough for him to play other roles. Likewise, its probably tough for DeNiro to play any ethic role that is non-Italian. But so what?

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207202
10/25/02 04:09 AM
10/25/02 04:09 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
The Bright Side Of The Road
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:

Btw, who did play Anthony? I don't think I knew him and is he still around?

TIS[/QB]
TIS, Anthony was played by Franc D'Ambrosio who I believe is a professional singer and returned to the operatic scene after GFIII

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207203
10/25/02 11:44 AM
10/25/02 11:44 AM
Glasgow
Sermanni Offline
Made Member
Sermanni  Offline
Made Member
Glasgow
This has to be done VERY carefully. I don't want to see a cynical cash in.

Cicci, a porta.

Could you get me off the hook Tom? For old times sake?
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207204
10/25/02 11:13 PM
10/25/02 11:13 PM
Florida
Mardini Offline
Underboss
Mardini  Offline
Underboss
Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Oblong:
De Niro is older than Brando was in part I.

I'll wait and see how DiCaprio does in Scorsese's new movie before deciding on whether he'd be a good fit for any potential GF movie.
You know, i don't think it would work with Robert De Niro. He's almost 60, Brando was 47, and you want De Nrio to play Vito from the missing years (1927-1945)? Maybe 10-12 years ago it would have worked. I think he's too old to play Vito from the missing years. Maybe they need to find another actor. As for the young Sonny, they should keep their options opened. I'm sure there are thousands of actors out there who would love to audition for that role, or any role. Anyway, i hope it'll come out alright.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207205
10/26/02 12:10 PM
10/26/02 12:10 PM
SoCal
QueenAssassin Offline
Wiseguy
QueenAssassin  Offline
Wiseguy
SoCal
Wow, it's been awhile since i've been on here, but here i am! =) Anyway, i just now heard about the possibilities of a GFIV. I have mixed feelings about this, but in all i'm just hoping for the best. Although, i wish they would make "The Sicilian" into a movie instead - the idea's of a GFIV are endless.

No matter how old he is, De Niro should be in GFIV. Considering that nowadays you can make anything possible in Hollywood. And it just wouldn't be the same without some of the original cast from the past GF films. Pacino somehow should be in it as well, i don't know what it would do for his part, but there somehow has to be a connection with the past GF films. Andy Garcia should be in GFIV as well, because he's the recent Don Corleone, isn't he?

As for Leonardo DiCaprio playing Sonny (or maybe some other character), i don't know. He's a good actor and all, but i don't see him as a Corleone. So here's my thing for DiCaprio in GFIV: "Hell no!" (you can quote me on that). I'd rather have someone else. In fact, i think they should get a group of unknown talented actors to play the characters in whatever they plan on doing with GFIV. For example, Marco Leonardi. I just recently saw him in some films (Like what for Chocolate, The Five Senses, Cinema Paradiso) and he's great, but not enough credit.

If there's so much speculation about who will write the script/screenplay/novel about the supposed GFIV, why not get Carol Gino? She knew Mario Puzo and is his companion throughout. She could probably write it good, if not then okay. It's unpredictable if FFC will be connected to GFIV, but i would like it if he did it.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207206
10/27/02 09:22 AM
10/27/02 09:22 AM
Orlando, Florida
SammyTheGroin Offline
Wiseguy
SammyTheGroin  Offline
Wiseguy
Orlando, Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Mardini:
[quote]Originally posted by Oblong:
[b]De Niro is older than Brando was in part I.

You know, i don't think it would work with Robert De Niro. He's almost 60, Brando was 47, and you want De Nrio to play Vito from the missing years (1927-1945)? Maybe 10-12 years ago it would have worked. I think he's too old to play Vito from the missing years. Maybe they need to find another actor. As for the young Sonny, they should keep their options opened. I'm sure there are thousands of actors out there who would love to audition for that role, or any role. Anyway, i hope it'll come out alright.[/b][/quote]As for the younger Sonny, what about James Caans kids? Does he have any sons that look like him?

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207207
10/28/02 10:21 AM
10/28/02 10:21 AM
C
Carstonio Offline
Button
Carstonio  Offline
C
Button
I'm with JGeoff on not wanting a GF4. Puzo and Coppola were the heart and soul of the trilogy. A fourth movie with another screenwriter, even with Coppola as director/co-writer, would destroy the legacy of the other films. Plus, there's no way a GF4 would live up to the expectations of fans. Any Godfather without Puzo is not the real Godfather.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207208
11/05/02 10:18 PM
11/05/02 10:18 PM
the matresses Offline
Made Member
the matresses  Offline
Made Member
I rarely read Part IV discussion, because I don't want to know anything about the plot before it comes out (Im the same way w/ Star Wars movies), but when I saw this, I had to post. Although it is true that a bad fourth film will bring down the trilogy, I must disagree with JGeoff, with all due respect (hand kiss), if FFC makes an attempt to make up for Part III (although, I don't look down on it as much as others do) and it covers either Vito building the original Corleone empire, how Vincent ran the family, or the years between II and III, or a mix of 2 or all 3 of these topics, then it could potentially rival I and II.

There was this kid I grew up with -- he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me -- you know. We did our first work together -- worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During Prohibition -- we ran molasses into Canada -- made a fortune -- you father, too. As much as anyone, I loved him -- and trusted him. Later on he had an idea -- to build a city out of a desert stop-over for GI's on the way to the West Coast. That kid's name was Moe Green -- and the city he invented was Las Vegas. This was a great man -- a man of vision and guts. And there isn't even a plaque -- or a signpost -- or a statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order -- when I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe -- I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead -- I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen -- I didn't ask who gave the order -- because it had nothing to do with business!
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207209
11/06/02 01:12 PM
11/06/02 01:12 PM
unknow
ChiChi Offline
Made Member
ChiChi  Offline
Made Member
unknow
I feel that they should leave it as a trilogy. A classic 1-2-3. Also the actors r older now it just won't be the same. Al though James Caan has a son in Gone in 60 seconds that to me looks like him.If they do a GFIV the best of luck to them..

"The world is yours"
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207210
11/07/02 11:02 PM
11/07/02 11:02 PM
California

California
I found this interview with James Caan, dated April 99 saying there would not be another GF, but if there were a IV, guess who'd he want to play Sonny? Thought you might be interested, or perhaps you've already seen it.!

http://www.apbnews.com/media/reviews/movies/1999/08/16/mickeyside0816_01.html

TIS

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207211
11/08/02 06:44 PM
11/08/02 06:44 PM
Florida
Mardini Offline
Underboss
Mardini  Offline
Underboss
Florida
Quote:
I found this interview with James Caan, dated April 99 saying there would not be another GF, but if there were a IV, guess who'd he want to play Sonny? Thought you might be interested, or perhaps you've already seen it.!

http://www.apbnews.com/media/reviews/movies/1999/08/16/mickeyside0816_01.html

TIS
Wow, that's a cool article. He sure is right about his choice for the actor playing young Sonny.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207212
11/09/02 02:11 PM
11/09/02 02:11 PM
Boston, Ma
G
Guineapig Offline
Underboss
Guineapig  Offline
G
Underboss
Boston, Ma
it's just not only the fact that Puzo is gone and that FFC might not get to direct but the thing is...Where do you go w/ the story? Maybe they shouldn't call it The Godfather Part IV like FFC wanted to call The Godfather Part III the death of Micheal Corleone. What will they call it?

so and so's The Godfather? It'd not going to work. I do think A.G has talent but the thing is he does not look Italian nor credible for the part. That's just it. It's not believable DeNiro being Irish /Italian looks Siclian/Italian b/c he does have Italian in him. Brando being Irish or whatever he is does look Italian. James Caan being Jewish could pass for a red-headed Sicilian/Italian man. Ethinicity doesn't have a major part in it however talent does agreed but all of those actors did look their parts so you can't compare A.G who absolutly looks 100 percent Hispanic to be in the Movie.
Just my 2 cents.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207213
11/09/02 03:41 PM
11/09/02 03:41 PM
DJGodfather Offline
Button
DJGodfather  Offline
Button
Here is my opinion on the matter,

They should leave it as a trilogy. It is the best organized crime movies out there, so why ruin it with a IV? Also Puzo wouldnt of written it, so it is unfiar to him, if they want, why dont they just make a completly different movie.

DJ

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207214
11/09/02 07:38 PM
11/09/02 07:38 PM
Florida
Mardini Offline
Underboss
Mardini  Offline
Underboss
Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by DJGodfather:
Here is my opinion on the matter,

They should leave it as a trilogy. It is the best organized crime movies out there, so why ruin it with a IV? Also Puzo wouldnt of written it, so it is unfiar to him, if they want, why dont they just make a completly different movie.

DJ
Yeah, but i thought Mario Puzo always wanted to write GF4. He once said in an interview that he wished he had power in Hollywood to make GF4. He definitely wanted to focus more on young Santino and the rise of the Corleones.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207215
11/26/02 04:11 AM
11/26/02 04:11 AM
New Zealand
Anton The Penguin Offline
Underboss
Anton The Penguin  Offline
Underboss
New Zealand
Quote:
I'm with you Robert DeNiro! I've always wanted them to go back to the "missing years" as opposed to ahead. And couldn't DeNiro still play Vito at middle age?
TIS is absolutely right in saying that, but I have a few opinions to say:

I'm excited. I would love to see a Godfather IV but...enough already? They made to classics then made an aweful one. Couldn't they leave it at that? See that they've accomplished 2 of the finest films in motion picture history, then they decide to make a new one - yes, it could work, but they would have to make it better than III, and they would have to have DeNiro as Vito Corleone. Whatever happens, I sure as hell will pay my tickets to see Part IV, but it's still worrisome that the Corleone legacy could be ruined...

-Penguin

Only after the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last river has been poisioned
Only after the last fish has been caught

Then you will find that money cannot be eaten.
Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207216
11/26/02 12:57 PM
11/26/02 12:57 PM
MrsMichaelCorleone Offline
Wiseguy
MrsMichaelCorleone  Offline
Wiseguy
Michael Corleone has to be in the Fourth installment! Okay he died in GF 3 but that was years later when he was in his 80s so theoretically he can still be in it. I'd like to see just how good Vincent's regime is, I bet it will crumble and die and so Michael takes the reigns off him by "making an offer he can't refuse" so to speak and makes the business legit by passing the power onto Anthony who has become disillusioned with fame and treading the boards and finds that he wants to do his father proud.

Re: "The Godfather IV" in Development !!! #207217
11/30/02 02:20 AM
11/30/02 02:20 AM
New Zealand
Anton The Penguin Offline
Underboss
Anton The Penguin  Offline
Underboss
New Zealand
Alright if they actually did it then I believe they should obviously do it like Part II. One section about the rise of the Corleone's, with Sonny and all that, then the second part of it in the dreaded 80s and the early 90s. Even to the present day. There was never any clue as to when Michael died, they could make it 2002 if they wanted to!

-Penguin

Only after the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last river has been poisioned
Only after the last fish has been caught

Then you will find that money cannot be eaten.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull