GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Turnbull, Toodoped), 85 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,399
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,504
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,291
Posts1,058,073
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166282
10/05/06 09:51 PM
10/05/06 09:51 PM
Cincinnati, Oh
Don Alessandrio Offline
Capo
Don Alessandrio  Offline
Capo
Cincinnati, Oh
Although I have only been a member for a few months, I can honestly say Plaw’s comments and thoughts were a joy to read. My thoughts and prays are with all of you who knew him much better than myself. May he rest in peace, and witness every sporting event from up above.

Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me.
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166283
10/05/06 10:20 PM
10/05/06 10:20 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I am unspeakably saddened to hear the news.

The most precious thing we can ever have in this world is time - and I was praying plaw would have just a bit more of it. He endured so much, though. I know he is at peace and beyond any earthly pain now.

We exchanged many PMs and found that we had other things in common besides The Godfather. Music, Kingsborough College, stuff like that and more. He nagged me until I finally reread the GF book for the first time in over thirty years. He knew that book backwards and forwards. Nobody could spoof Puzo's writing style like plaw. His parodies were absolute classics. He should have written the "authorized" sequels, not Mark Whatsisname.

We only got to meet one time, but it was memorable. He came into Brooklyn this summer and we went to dinner together at Adelman's Deli (which is around the corner from where I live). He ordered tongue, which he loved. We talked about a lot of things, then off we went to meet Don Cardi and SC at a Brooklyn Cyclones baseball game in Coney island. It was clearly a tiring day for him, but he enjoyed seeing some of the Crew and getting out for a good time. I had no idea this would be the first and last time I would see him. We were supposed to go to Philadelphia together for the BB Convention, but it was physically too much for him.

I hoped that he might slowly regain some of his strength and grace us with his presence at the next local BB "sitdown" dinner. Perhaps at GoodFellas, the NJ restaurant that his "pal" Frank Vincent seemed to be "connected" to...like the rest of the BB, I was just waiting for his next post or a progress report.

Now, I'm more than a bit numb from the news.

God, I'm really gonna miss him. Rest in peace, friend.

Signor V.

--------------------
Do not go gentle into that good night...
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

-Dylan Thomas

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166284
10/05/06 10:25 PM
10/05/06 10:25 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I am so saddened by this news

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166285
10/05/06 10:27 PM
10/05/06 10:27 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
This makes me so sad. I was so happy to see him on here a few days ago....

He and I never talked much on the boards, but I read many of his posts and I found him to be one of the most intelligent members on here, and just a general nice guy.

This is so sad.....

I remember him saying he had a son around my age (I think), but whatever his family circumstances are, I hope and pray that they are getting through this ok. This is the saddest day ever for the BB, and Plaw will never be forgotten on here.

Anyone remember his story about meeting Frank Vincent? That was great.

How am I not myself?
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166286
10/05/06 11:07 PM
10/05/06 11:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Though I knew that Paul's illness was terminal, I'm still sad that he's gone. At least his pain is no more.

I was fortunate to know him personally--one on one, and in the dinners that we've had for people on the Boards. Paul was one-of-a-kind: funny, knowledgeable, courteous, but steadfast in what he believed in. I miss him already.

Paul's real legacy is friendship. He remarked many times that he made better friends on these boards than in everyday life. And that's the point: people--even in cyberspace--are still living, thinking, caring people who can get together around common interests and for fun and comradeship. That's why, even as I mourn Paul, I thank Geoff and all the others who make these Boards the best meeting-place on the 'net.

Rest in peace, Paul.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166287
10/05/06 11:28 PM
10/05/06 11:28 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Our beloved Plaw. A life lost too soon.

I suppose I'd always known of him since I originally joined here - a choice I'm so glad we all made - but the memory of when we first hit it off as friends will always remain in my mind. I'd never spent much time in the sports forum, yet that was where it all started. Quite a fitting place to get to know him, when you consider it. It was last year, and somehow I wandered into the fantasy thread for ESPN's salary cap game, Baseball Challenge. He'd made a post regarding Roger Clemens, and he was "whining" (as all fantasy players love to do) about how the bullpen blew the ballgame despite a great outing by Roger. This bothered me as an Astros fan, and it bothered him as someone who'd taken Clemens for the fantasy game and ended up with a bad score. I made a complaint about the loss and asked what it meant for him in the game...I soon found that asking him about sports is guaranteeing a good conversation. He explained the situation in the fantasy game, we talked about Clemens a bit, then he invited me to join in. The rest was history.

His nickname was StatMan, and it was the perfect fit. He could tell you the statistical odds of a player hitting a double in a day game at home with partly cloudy skies...and he'd write you an essay on why it was true. Everyone teased him by calling him a windbag, but I know it was with respect. I was always tickled by how much he could and would write on any one topic, yet it was also something I admired. His lengthy posts were sometimes overwhelming, but always interesting - he mastered the art of both quality and quantity. I often find my writing to be very wordy, and though it isn't of as good substance as Plaw's, I take great pride in knowing that I share the windbag quality with him. I remember how much he enjoyed hearing about the "manual" I wrote when I recruited school friends to join the fantasy game. When I mentioned that people complained I'd written too much, he was actually impressed and asked to read it - which I found so funny yet, at the same time, was also so honored by. With that, I must say that a compliment from him in BBC was the absolute best. For me, his approval was most important, and it made my day when I earned an "'Atta girl, GG" comment.

He would mention passing the "torch" on to me in the game, and with that, I became his protege. The torch reference means so much more to me now. I worry that I've lost my spirit for the game, especially since dropping out this season - I actually believe that his passion was what inspired and maintained my passion. His spirit was contagious...when he was into it, everyone was into it, either through arguing, trash talk, spouting stats, or just enjoying the sport. Just the same, he was the life of that entire forum. He was a sports fan if there ever was one, appreciating every aspect of the role - gambling, memorizing statistics, studying the rules of the game, remembering favorite athletes of the past, dominating (never just participating in) every fantasy game, and so on.

He was a good man in every way possible. He was witty, kind - beneath his so-called "tough" outer shell - and intelligent. He treated everyone with respect, and with that, was given the same in return. Nobody will ever replace him, and we'll always have an empty space here without him, but his spirit will live on forever through all of us. Such a beautiful soul deserves to be free of suffering, so I'm grateful that he has now found his true peace. My prayers go out to his family, especially his girlfriend and son. Also, to those here who were closest to him, please accept my deepest sympathies for the loss of such a dear friend. I miss him so much, and I know it has to be all the more difficult for you. I thank God that I was given the opportunity to enjoy Plaw's friendship in the time that I did.

Plaw, if you're reading this up there in that great diamond in the sky...thank you. For all that you taught me, for being my friend, thank you. I hope we all get to meet up with you someday. I love you.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166288
10/05/06 11:53 PM
10/05/06 11:53 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

To add to what Gina has said about Fantasy Sports, the statman would always find a way to make himself the favorite when the odds would go out at the beginning of each league. Whether it was because he won last year, because he had a bad week in the last one and that cost him the championship that year, or simply because he was plawrence, he was the favorite.

I don't know how many fantasy leagues I joined in the past year or so simply because he wanted to play them and no one else was into them (or that good at them). He always wanted to win, but wanted competition, just enough to keep it interesting but not too much to challenge his rightful spot at #1.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166289
10/06/06 12:39 AM
10/06/06 12:39 AM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
I used to really get under his skin in the fantasy games. It would get the point where he'd be challenging me via email to "put my money where my mouth is", and play for cash on the side. He did seem to have a soft spot for me though. I think it was because I shared with him awhile back that I had and beat an illness similar to his, and told him that he could beat it too. I had no idea that he wasn't doing well because he hadn't complained or brought it up to me in over a year. Life is strange. Sometimes people like myself get a second chance, and sometimes people don't.

I suggest that if we continue to play the fantasy leagues, that we rename the leagues from GangsterBB to something in honor of him.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166290
10/06/06 12:40 AM
10/06/06 12:40 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
I really don't know what to say, too. some of us seem to be really good with words so I'll leave it to them.

when I saw this topic, I just thought "no, it isn't what I'm thinking it is"... well, it is, and I can only hope this is good for PL, now that he is in peace.

R.I.P. my friend

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166291
10/06/06 03:24 AM
10/06/06 03:24 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
I don't know what to say... I've been preparing myself for this day for about a year, and still the news feels like a ton of bricks.

This place will never be the same without Plaw, that's for sure. What an amazing man he was, so intelligent, and so caring underneath all that sarcasm and wonderful wit. He was the kind of guy who made you love him, you had no choice.

May he rest in peace. I'll never forget him, his sense of humor, and the truly great advice he used to give me. I'll remember him with every basketball game I watch, every gangster movie I see, every cup of cinnamon-infused coffee I drink.

My sincerest condolences to his girlfriend and his son.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166292
10/06/06 03:33 AM
10/06/06 03:33 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I hope he's writing wherever he is now. And I hope I get a chance to read it sometime, somewhere.

We lost a good writer, which is a damn shame. Plaw now knows what happens when we die, but he found out the hard way. Take care, Neal.

"I'll look for you in old Honolulu,
San Francisco, Ashtabula,
Yer gonna have to leave me now, I know.
But I'll see you in the sky above,
In the tall grass, in the ones I love,
Yer gonna make me lonesome when you go."

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166293
10/06/06 04:32 AM
10/06/06 04:32 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
We knew this day was coming since Paul was diagnosed with (incurable) cancer back in early March, 2005. Even with a year and a half in which to prepare for the finality of Paul's death it is hard to bear now.

Watching the slow deterioration of someone you love is hard to do. I suspect it was a lot harder for him to see it happening to himself. He never let it get the better of him, though, and he stoically went through painful treatments holding out some sort of hope that they'd help. It was one of the bravest acts I've ever seen.

He enriched ALL of us here with his knowledge, his stylish writing and his sense of humor. He loved to good-naturedly get on somebody's case in the sports discussions and welcomed debates to his opinions (many times playing devil's advocate to stir up a discussion). My favorite writings of his on these boards, though, were the annual year-end poems he'd write. I called him the poet-laureate of the boards for this reason.

I'll share one memory: a few months after he and his partner, Vickie, had an argument I stirred up the hornet's nest for a few laughs. We were sitting around his dining room table (Paul, Vickie, Geoff, Lori and myself) and I reminded them that Vickie threw his wipes off their balcony (during the fight). Seeing (in my mind) this package of wipes sailing down from the 9th floor made me laugh and I berated Vickie for it. I'm not sure she ever forgave me for that but seeing Paul laughing hysterically over the description of it made it all worthwhile.

My thoughts are with his partner, Vickie, and his son, Steve now. Poor Steve lost both his grandfathers (within one day) and now, three months later, his father. Say a prayer for them.

Paul's last words to me were, "I love you". I told him I loved him, too. That eases the thought of never seeing him again but I know I'll miss him dearly.

R.I.P. Paulie Boy.

(I couldn't help but notice that I logged onto the boards to read this thread at 3:28... that was Paul's birthday).

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166294
10/06/06 06:11 AM
10/06/06 06:11 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

This is really sad news,a great member with always a lot to say,the boards won't be the same without him

RIP-Plawrence

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166295
10/06/06 07:24 AM
10/06/06 07:24 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

As is well documented, I shared the same birthday as Paul's ex-wife. Waking up on that day from now on, knowing Paul will not have started a Happy Birthday thread for me will never be the same. He also was diagnosed with his illness on my daughter's birthday. And lastly,he died yesterday, 1 day shy of my brother's birthday today. It's like I'm not meant to forget him, even if I wanted to. (Which I don't).

BTW..SC, the death of Steven's 2 grandfathers is more tragic in that they died on the same day, not 1 day apart. Paul told me he called Steven's mom to tell him, and she said her father had must died. How aweful.

It has been pouring down raining non stop since 9:30 last night here in Baltimore. Tears from heaven.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166296
10/06/06 07:26 AM
10/06/06 07:26 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Dear Plaw.
What a sad day it is.
I don't visit sports threads and politics, so my remembrances about Plaw mostly belong to the Novel section. His knowledge of The Godfather was truly remarkable, he was one of the few novel buffs who played the quotation game, for months - the only one who would hold the mark and keep it living. He was one of the very few members who actually read my endless "last chapter analysis", and liked it.
One day, some year or two ago, he PMed me, and we started sort of novel-based friendship. He had a wonderful wit, intelligence and way with words. His unfinished work on Godfather subject was a very deserving one, don't you think? And of course his excellent parodies, his Puzo-immitations ought to be remembered, I especially enjoyed the "Joe the Greek" one.
As a poet, he actively supported my doomed project - haiku game. In short, I could always count on him for support whatever I did, and I was grateful for that very much.
And these witty post breakdowns he did for our milestones!
It's a great, great loss.
Rest in Peace, dear friend.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166297
10/06/06 08:43 AM
10/06/06 08:43 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Whenever I think of New York I'll always have fond memories of Paul. I've been there a total of 4 times in the past 3 years or so, and each time I've either had dinner with Paul or spend a day with him, just showing me the sights. He and New York go together like peanut butter and jelly. I remember I was there 2 years ago. It was the day that Jason Varitek of The Red Sox and Alex Rodriques of The Yankees got into a brawl. I felt like I was in the heart of the city that day, experiencing a real Yankee moment. We had dinner at Paul's favorite restaurant, Cite. I'll have to go there again just to raise a glass of wine, (or two), in his honor.

The BB had a dinner get together a few months ago in New Jersey. I was greatful to be able to attend that one. I spent 3 days in New Jersey, and Paul was a gracious host. He had been getting increasingly weak by this time, but he still wanted to see to it that I got to see some sights. He drove me around his old childhood stopping grounds in Brooklyn; we drove past the old Ebbitts field, and stopped at Nathan's in Coney Island so I could have a real New York hot dog. He did all this with a smile on his face. I will be forever humbled to have been a part of his life. Till his last breath he would do anything for anybody, and be hurt if you needed something and didn't ask. He would give 110%. They'll never be another like him.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166298
10/06/06 08:57 AM
10/06/06 08:57 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Just before the last convention in Philly, Paul and I exchanged PM's. He suggested that He ride back with me via bus to NYC. I know he really wanted to go, but he told me he wouldn't know til the last minute if he'd be able to. I totally understood of course, but I am sure he would have loved to have gone.

I did PM him when I heard he was back home and for a while I see he hadn't opened the PM yet. I'm glad to see that he did read it.

Geoff, SC, DC, do you know if the family are accepting maybe donations to the Cancer fund or something in Paul's name? Or can you post anything that maybe us members so far away can contribute to in his honor? Or any suggestions at all?

Thanks
TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166299
10/06/06 09:01 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:

Paul's real legacy is friendship. He remarked many times that he made better friends on these boards than in everyday life.
Exactly right Turnbull.

I was searching through some congrats posts made by Paul and ironically I came across this one:

posted by Plawrence on July 18, 2005
Quote:
...... one of my most valued friends.....

During the past couple of years that those of us in some of the NY/NJ "Families" have been getting together, I've discovered that I've made some better friends here than friends I've had for 25 or 30 years, and I'm happy to count you among them.
This congratulations post by Paul is typical Paul, as it could apply to almost anyone of us here on the boards and shows how he truly cherished the friendships that he made through these boards.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166300
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
" His life was gentle; and the elements
So mix'd in him that Nature might stand up
And say to all the world: This was a man! "

(Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Act V, Scene V)

---
---

I was looking forward to read more of his posts. After his last post in the other thread I found myself checking his profile every now and then, then clicking on "view recent posts" to see if by chance I missed one of his posts. But alas, there were none.

He said that he's old. 57 is not old.
That aside, they say that a man's age is not measured by years but by his way of life. If anything, I've found plawrence to be childish at times, and I mean that in a good way. What a sad world this would have been if we were all serious all the time.

Thank you Plaw, for your joyful spirit.
Thank you, for your words of wisdom.
Thank you, for sharing your massive knowledge with us.
Thank you, for your kindness and generosity.
Thank you, for being part of our lives.

---
---

I decided to read his post in the profile thread once again, and there is one line which stands out in particular:

Quote:
What is your biggest dream : To live to be 100
If only

---
---

If anyone wants to read his full post, here is the link:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=007662;p=2#000053

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166301
10/06/06 09:03 AM
10/06/06 09:03 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
I'm too anguished to find the words myself for such a sad event...so I'll use the words an anonymous poet wrote for a beloved one who left. Somehow Plaw will always be alive as long as we remember him.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there,
I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there,
I did not die

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166302
10/06/06 09:05 AM
10/06/06 09:05 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Thanks for bringing up that profile thread, fame. It was great to look back on it.

Yeah..live to be 100. If only.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166303
10/06/06 09:09 AM
10/06/06 09:09 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I was actually thinking of that same poem, Lav. How ironic. Here is another anonymous poem that comes to mind. Inserted Paul's name.

Paul was tired and weary.
Weary from toil and pain.
Put aside his glasses.
He'll not need them again.
Into Heaven's gates he entered.
Never to sigh or weep.
After year's of life's struggles.
Paul has fallen asleep.

He bid none a last farewell.
He said goodbye to none.
His dear heart just ceased to beat.
And suddenly he was gone.

At a time when life could have been sweet.
He could have lived his best.
The gates of heaven opened.
And he entered into eternal rest.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166304
10/06/06 09:33 AM
10/06/06 09:33 AM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
I am too stunned to think of the right words to type right now. The BB will never be the same without Plaw. I could say he will be sorely missed but that would be an understatement.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166305
10/06/06 09:58 AM
10/06/06 09:58 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
RIP, Plawrence. Thank you for your kindness in welcoming to the sports forum and inviting me to play the sports games when I first joined the boards.
You are and will be missed.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166306
10/06/06 10:23 AM
10/06/06 10:23 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
I never met him, but will never forget his encyclopedic mind, his wit, his well thought out opinions on everything from twists in the GF plots to politics and a whole variety of topics.

I am glad to see that his Avatar is retired, and that some consideration is being given to naming the sports forum for him.

Additionlly, if there is any thought of giving donations to a suitable charitable organizatioin in his name, you can count me in.

Farewell my friend, and rest in peace.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166307
10/06/06 10:24 AM
10/06/06 10:24 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I think everyone should go to Atlantic City and play Pai Gow poker in his honor.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166308
10/06/06 11:21 AM
10/06/06 11:21 AM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

Like many of you, although I've been preparing myself for this for the better part of the last year, I'm still stunned that he's gone. Since I found out yesterday, I've been in kind of a daze.

I guess I just miss my friend.

I didn't get the pleasure of meeting Paul (I wish I had), but I've gotten to know him through PMs, IMs and one phone conversation during the dinner at Shula's (Chicago convention). I can still remember the start of the call:

Plaw (in his pretty thick NY/NJ accent): "Who's this?"
Me (not knowing who it was I was talking to): "Ummmm... It's DB."
Plaw: "OHHHHHHH!!!! DB!!!! My Most Worthy Adversary..."

Most Worthy Adversary... MWA for short... That was Plaw's nickname for me in the fantasy sports threads. It was his way of drawing me into the competition, because he knew I was just as competitive as he was although I wasn't as overt about it . DMC's right - Plaw would always give himself the best odds of winning any game and place me just below him, just to make sure I was paying attention. I never did call Plaw "MWA" back. I just felt it wasn't right to single anybody out. But he knew. Wherever I was in the standings, he knew I was always looking to see where he was. The Sports threads will never be the same.

In his last lengthy PM to me, he described to me the joy he gets from our message board - the friends he met, the discussions he's had. From reading all the responses since yesterday, Plaw has touched a lot of people on this board - and each one of us thought we were the only one! That is the sign of a truly great man. He's left lasting imprints on our hearts and we will truly miss him.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, especially his son and partner. May their (and our) difficult times ahead be comforted by the fact that he's at peace and without pain. May we remember the great times we shared with him. I am truly grateful for my opportunity to meet him.

God bless you, Plaw.

Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166309
10/06/06 11:32 AM
10/06/06 11:32 AM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
I feel a great loss.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166310
10/06/06 11:50 AM
10/06/06 11:50 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I didn't even know he had Cancer until yesterday. I was absolutely heartbroken last night when I read this. Such a great loss. I can't fathom it.

I just read a PM he sent me a while back, in response to a poem I had written on the boards.

It begins:
'Hey Mick,
Some day I expect to be proud to say that "I knew you when..."'

And what followed was a little poem in response to my own. Man, I'm really feeling this.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: REMEMBERING PLAWRENCE... #166311
10/06/06 12:56 PM
10/06/06 12:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I didn't read all the posts so maybe I missed his health problems. What happened? My age is around his, so when someone like that dies, one's mortality smacks one in the face. Eventially, the bell tolls for each one of us eventually. But, as the Godfather said, "Life is so beautiful."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull