GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (RushStreet, Turnbull, faffy444, 2 invisible), 104 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,354
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,215
Posts1,056,176
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 65 of 90 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 89 90
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1008892
04/02/21 07:27 PM
04/02/21 07:27 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE MAURITANIAN

Based on true events, THE MAURITANIAN follows Mohamedou Ould Slahi, a man who is accused of aiding Al-Qaeda in the 9/11 attacks. (For those of you as unfamiliar with Mauritania as I was coming into this film, it's a country in Northwest Africa). The film opens with Slahi attending a wedding, before being kidnapped and taken to Guantanamo Bay where he is held for the next 14 years without being charged with a crime. Jodie Foster and Shailene Woodley play his defense attorney's who sue the U.S. government for them to either charge Slahi with a crime or release him. Benedict Cumberbatch plays the prosecutor in Slahi's case as Stuart Couch, a colonel with a southern drawl who quickly finds out what kind of government he's representing in the post-9/11 world. The film begins suspenseful and fast paced, developing the story and characters rather rapidly. However, by around the mid-point the pacing really slows down and the film seems to drag in some areas as a result of this. Cumberbatch is obviously fighting a cold during the shooting of this film as his southern drawl is noticeably stuffy and nasally in every scene he's in. The biggest star of the film, Foster, is also the one who is the most interesting character out of the cast. She plays Nancy Hollander, a no nonsense lawyer, who detached from her feelings long ago as she's made a career out of these types of cases. Here she works pro bono, and is somewhat villianized by the media and some pockets of citizens who believe Slahi should pay for his alleged role in the attacks and Foster for defending a "terrorist." She gives the most captivating performance, however, Tahar Rahim, who plays Slahi isn't far behind as the accused man. Being that this story takes place over 14 years and two Presidential administrations, I appreciate the fact the film didn't get caught up in a Republican/Democrat problem: this was a U.S. government problem, regardless of who was President at the time. If you're really interested in seeing it, it's worth a shot; otherwise, you're not missing much if you choose to skip it. 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1008952
04/03/21 07:30 PM
04/03/21 07:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Just rewatched THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956) for the first time in years in anticipation for Easter tomorrow. I love these huge, biblical stories that Hollywood used to produce and wish they'd make movies like this again. Charlton Heston was magnificent as Moses and I haven't been this moved watching a film since THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. Got a few more I'm going to attempt to go through here coming up: THE KING OF KINGS (1927), KING OF KINGS (1961), CLEOPATRA (1963), and THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE (1964). With the exception of THE KING OF KINGS (1927), this will be my first time viewing these films.

***UPDATE***
Adding CLEOPATRA (1934), THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923), and SAMSON AND DELILAH (1949) to the list as well. First time viewing all of these also.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009018
04/04/21 02:01 PM
04/04/21 02:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
No doubt about it, Irishman--Ten Commandments is a magnificent movie. DeMille knew how to entertain his audiences--pulled out all the stops. I read that at one point he used half of the Egyptian Army as extras. I hope you noticed the attention to design detail in many scenes, especially the costumes and jewelry, all of it custom-made. The credits alone are a work of art. Another plus: the movie prints are among the very few that the studios treated reverently--nearly all others (including GF) were simply dumped somewhere. So, high-quality prints of Ten Commandments were always available for reruns and remastering. They'll never make another like it again.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009020
04/04/21 02:11 PM
04/04/21 02:11 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
CONCRETE COWBOY (2020)

Cole (Caleb McLaughlin), expelled from his Detroit high school for fighting, is dumped by his mother on his long-absent father Harp (Idris Elba) in Philadelphia. Harp is part of a (real life) black cowboy coterie operating out of ancient stables in their inner city neighborhood (Harp actually has a horse in his home). Caleb hates his old man and his new situation, but the group gradually brings him into their fold by making him muck out stables. He bonds with a wild horse and is gradually accepted. He's also tempted into the criminal life by an older friend and is nearly killed.

This is an uneven, sometimes amateurish movie, loaded with F- MF- and N-bombs, but McLaughlin is outstanding as the rebellious but decent kid who goes right. Lorraine Toussaint plays the obligatory motherly member of the group. Elba, who is in more movies than the MGM lion, is curiously ambivalent in his role. The premise is unique, and carries through to the end. Ok for one viewing.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Turnbull] #1009027
04/04/21 06:13 PM
04/04/21 06:13 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Turnbull
CONCRETE COWBOY (2020)

Cole (Caleb McLaughlin), expelled from his Detroit high school for fighting, is dumped by his mother on his long-absent father Harp (Idris Elba) in Philadelphia. Harp is part of a (real life) black cowboy coterie operating out of ancient stables in their inner city neighborhood (Harp actually has a horse in his home). Caleb hates his old man and his new situation, but the group gradually brings him into their fold by making him muck out stables. He bonds with a wild horse and is gradually accepted. He's also tempted into the criminal life by an older friend and is nearly killed.

This is an uneven, sometimes amateurish movie, loaded with F- MF- and N-bombs, but McLaughlin is outstanding as the rebellious but decent kid who goes right. Lorraine Toussaint plays the obligatory motherly member of the group. Elba, who is in more movies than the MGM lion, is curiously ambivalent in his role. The premise is unique, and carries through to the end. Ok for one viewing.

The trailer didn't do anything for me so I passed. Thanks for the review Turnbull.

Rewatched THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST today and I enjoy this film and honestly, don't understand why it's so controversial? I've read the book and the film doesn't paint Jesus in a negative light. From the Bible itself, we're shown Jesus as God and man. What this film accomplishes is a portrayal of Jesus as simply man. Struggling with being God's Son and facing his death on the Cross. I loved the last part where He faces his final temptation and overcomes it. Anyone who hasn't seen this film, I endorse a viewing. And for those who have, what are your thoughts?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009105
04/06/21 06:40 PM
04/06/21 06:40 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923)

Watched for the first time Cecile B. DeMille's original, 1923 version of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. It actually took me for quite a surprise as the film opens up with the story of Moses and the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt. This may take not even a quarter of the film to portray and the rest of the time, it actually illustrates the Commandments at work during the present day this film was released. There's even a title before the second story begins about how the world doesn't feel the Commandments were applicable to life 100 years ago (remember this film was released on the heels of the end of the First World War). So DeMille uses this picture as a vehicle to say the Commandments are never outdated and they're not merely suggestions but rather, the law of God. A good film (not a huge silent film fan honestly) but compared to the 1956 version, this pales in compassion. I do appreciate what he's done here, trying to teach the audience rather than rehash a story many of us have heard plenty of times. I was also glad he was able to make a true version of the story in 1956, with the advancements in technology over the previous 33 years since this release. Both versions are good and worth a watch. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009139
04/07/21 09:54 AM
04/07/21 09:54 AM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Great movie i12

Did you ever see The Greatest Story Ever Told"[b][/b]

Amazing cast.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009177
04/07/21 06:41 PM
04/07/21 06:41 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Never did DP. Worth the watch?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009215
04/08/21 01:19 PM
04/08/21 01:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Destination Moon (1950)

In this early sci-fi, a scientist, an aviation builder and a retired general (John Archer, Warner Anderson, Tom Powers) put together an atomic powered spaceship that the government wants to shut down because of radioactive fears. They jump the gun by taking off for the moon, bringing along one of the site workers (Dick Wesson). They land on the moon, but they used up too much fuel maneuvering, so they have to lighten the spacecraft--possibly by leaving one of them behind. This movie is pretty good for its time, with good special effects, and a nice lesson in astrophysics courtesy of Woody Woodpecker(!). Only jarring note is Wesson, playing a Brooklyn dees-and-dozer--he's more annoying than Medavoy on "NYPD Blue."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009309
04/09/21 06:06 PM
04/09/21 06:06 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
VOYAGERS

VOYAGERS takes place 42 years into the future in the year 2063. The planet is heating up and mankind sends a ship full of teenagers and one chaperon (played by Colin Farrell) to supervise them all. They've found a new planet that they're attempting to explore to see if it can sustain the future of the human race. The only problem: it takes 86 years to reach, meaning the teenagers on our voyage will never see the planet but rather their grandchildren. While onboard, the teens are given a daily regimen of a blue liquid. They're told by Farrell that it's nothing more than vitamins; however, when researching the ingredients of the blue liquid, 2 of the teenagers become suspicious of Farrell, his motives, and whether he's being entirely truthful with them or not. As such, the 2 teenagers refuse to take the blue liquid and all hell breaks loose (think of Lord of the Flies in space). Factions are formed, and many themes are wonderfully woven into this tale such as betrayal, fear, love, and acceptance. Featuring a cast of up-and-coming talent starring Tye Sheridan and Lil-Rose Depp, VOYAGERS is well worth a ride. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009460
04/11/21 05:18 PM
04/11/21 05:18 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Rewatched the 1927 version of Cecil B. DeMille's THE KING OF KINGS yesterday. It's good but not a great film (not much of a fan of silent films). Although for the time period, some of his special effects are very impressive. Today I watched for the first time the 1961 version of KING OF KINGS and I loved it! Very TEN COMMANDMENTS-eque, spiritually moving, wonderful costumes/set pieces/great actors. Just an all-around sold film!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009510
04/12/21 11:22 AM
04/12/21 11:22 AM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted by Irishman12

Oh yeah,,,, you gotta see it i12.

Its a classic.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009511
04/12/21 11:23 AM
04/12/21 11:23 AM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
VOYAGERS

VOYAGERS takes place 42 years into the future in the year 2063. The planet is heating up and mankind sends a ship full of teenagers and one chaperon (played by Colin Farrell) to supervise them all. They've found a new planet that they're attempting to explore to see if it can sustain the future of the human race. The only problem: it takes 86 years to reach, meaning the teenagers on our voyage will never see the planet but rather their grandchildren. While onboard, the teens are given a daily regimen of a blue liquid. They're told by Farrell that it's nothing more than vitamins; however, when researching the ingredients of the blue liquid, 2 of the teenagers become suspicious of Farrell, his motives, and whether he's being entirely truthful with them or not. As such, the 2 teenagers refuse to take the blue liquid and all hell breaks loose (think of Lord of the Flies in space). Factions are formed, and many themes are wonderfully woven into this tale such as betrayal, fear, love, and acceptance. Featuring a cast of up-and-coming talent starring Tye Sheridan and Lil-Rose Depp, VOYAGERS is well worth a ride. 6/10

Is this new or older?

Seams like a lot of Sci-Fi coming out recently.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: DuesPaid] #1009545
04/12/21 06:58 PM
04/12/21 06:58 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by DuesPaid

Its a classic.

Just added it to my list DP. Thanks for the recommendation!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: DuesPaid] #1009546
04/12/21 06:59 PM
04/12/21 06:59 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
VOYAGERS

Is this new or older?

Seams like a lot of Sci-Fi coming out recently.

Brand new. Was just released in theaters this past weekend.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009636
04/13/21 07:23 PM
04/13/21 07:23 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE UNHOLY

THE UNHOLY stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Gerry Fenn, a freelance journalist who's desperately seeking a sexy story to repair his damaged reputation and get him back to the life he once knew. While chasing a story down in Banfield, MA, just outside of Boston, Gerry happens upon the story of Alice, a young girl he almost runs over with his vehicle while drinking and driving one evening. Unhurt by the event, Alice is then visited by whom she believes is the Virgin Mary. Alice is deaf and has been since birth. She's prayed to Mary earnestly and believes after this near death experience that Mary has finally granted her prayer, as she suddenly is able to hear and talk. Fenn, a raised Catholic but currently lapsed, strikes at the opportunity to get the exclusive, and decides to stick it out in Banfield, feeling he would be the perfect person to report on the event due to his lack of faith/bias. The local residents who know Alice believe she was healed by Mary and come to her, some with their sick to be healed, listen to her story, and strengthen their faith. Mary's able to work miracles and increase her audience. Banfield soon becomes the center of the Catholic world at this phenomenon; however, before too long, something more sinister is at play here and it appears the Virgin Mary wasn't who healed Alice and the others, but another supernatural being, something far more evil, and seeking their souls in return. This didn't get a huge promotional push to it, however, for being a PG-13 film, introducing Cricket Brown (who does a wonderful job playing Alice), and Jeffrey Dean Morgan, it's a very enjoyable flick. My only grip with the film was the weight that was placed upon jump scares as the audience can see them coming from a mile away. Other than that, better than expected! 6.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009646
04/13/21 08:22 PM
04/13/21 08:22 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.

Its a classic.

So glad you did.... let me know what you think.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: DuesPaid] #1009650
04/13/21 08:30 PM
04/13/21 08:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

Its a classic.

So glad you did.... let me know what you think.

Will do. It might be a little time but I'm hoping to get through it and these others by the end of next week if I can.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009723
04/14/21 08:33 PM
04/14/21 08:33 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
SAMSON AND DELILAH

Today I watched Cecil B. DeMille's 1949's SAMSON AND DELILAH. Another biblical story that doesn't hit as high as some of DeMille's other works. Hedy Lamarr is quite captivating as the tempest Delilah but Victor Mature doesn't do much for me as Samson. He has a physique, but not much charisma and his performance seemed rather dry most of the time (unlike a Charlton Heston as Moses as comparison). Not a bad movie but also nothing special and quite forgettable. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009729
04/14/21 11:35 PM
04/14/21 11:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Agree 100%, Irishman. Some rather poor details--like having a stuntman with an ill-fitting wig stand in for Mature in the lion-wrestling scene, and Sanders poking the "dead" lion, which is little more than a rug.

"Mature doesn't do much for me as Samson"--possible understatement of the year. Mature allegedly tried to join an exclusive Beverly Hills club. Told that they didn't accept actors, he replied, "That's ok--no one ever accused me of being an actor."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Turnbull] #1009731
04/15/21 12:18 AM
04/15/21 12:18 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
The Last Picture Show/ 1971...no xplanation need apply...great story but better acting chops by entire cast..& who can't fall in luv w/a young Cybill Shepard & I must say a very hot Ellen Burstyn...1 of Peter Bogdanovich ' s best...no wonder he married Cybill.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: hoodlum] #1009736
04/15/21 02:52 AM
04/15/21 02:52 AM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
No doubt about it--a great movie for all the reasons you said.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Turnbull] #1009737
04/15/21 03:24 AM
04/15/21 03:24 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Leaving Las Vegas//////....I actually dont like Nic Cage as an actor...but I will give him a nod 4 this....but what keeps my eyes glued is the chops of Elizabeth Shue...who pours her soul out 2 save this drowning heart..not 2 mention she looks great 4 her age in this film...Ive wanted her since I 1rst saw her....

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009771
04/15/21 04:21 PM
04/15/21 04:21 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Leaving Las Vegas was too damn depressing for me. Well acted for sure. My fav Nic Cage movie is a mostly forgotten neo-noir with him and Dennis Hopper called Red Rock West.

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: hoodlum] #1009789
04/15/21 07:30 PM
04/15/21 07:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by hoodlum
Leaving Las Vegas//////....I actually dont like Nic Cage as an actor...but I will give him a nod 4 this....but what keeps my eyes glued is the chops of Elizabeth Shue...who pours her soul out 2 save this drowning heart..not 2 mention she looks great 4 her age in this film...Ive wanted her since I 1rst saw her....

I'm a Nic Cage fan and this is one of (along with FACE/OFF) his finest performances. Huge Elisabeth Shue fan as well since I saw her in the original KARATE KID and she does a wonderful job here too. It was a pity she didn't get an Oscar for her work.

Today I watched THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. Not a biblical story but still an epic sandal-and-sword affair. I had NO idea that Christopher Plummer played Commodus as it doesn't even look like him. I also didn't realize the first half of this film is basically an earlier version of Ridley Scott's 2000 GLADIATOR. The second half drags in some parts and didn't hold my interest as keenly as before. However, tons of extras, lavish costumes, wonderful set pieces. One of the reasons I enjoy these types of films is the eye candy. I plan on watching Cecil B. DeMille's 1934 CLEOPATRA tomorrow, followed by the Elizabeth Taylor version on Saturday!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009821
04/15/21 10:39 PM
04/15/21 10:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Irish, that is a great movie which I have viewed several times. The cast is all-star. Stephen Boyd has that granite face of a Real Roman and Alec Guiness the moxie of an Emperor. Of course, Sophia! What can I say?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #1009905
04/16/21 06:47 PM
04/16/21 06:47 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by olivant
Irish, that is a great movie which I have viewed several times. The cast is all-star. Stephen Boyd has that granite face of a Real Roman and Alec Guiness the moxie of an Emperor. Of course, Sophia! What can I say?

I'd give it another go for sure.

Today, I wasn't overly impressed by Cecil B. DeMille's 1934 CLEOPATRA. In fact, I was somewhat disappointed. Early on I wasn't emotionally invested with the story too much, with Cleopatra's love going from Caesar to Marc Antony. In addition, Claudette Colbert didn't mesmerize me as much as I thought she would as Cleopatra. She was good but nothing memorable. Finally, the characters seemed to play the roles too cooly. One of the knocks I have about some films made during this time period as the actors/actresses are theatrically trained and it shows when staring in films rather than the stage (and doesn't come off as well IMO). I'm anticipating the Elizabeth Taylor version to be much better tomorrow.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009975
04/17/21 08:13 PM
04/17/21 08:13 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Viewed the 1963 version of CLEOPATRA and while it was more enjoyable than DeMille's 1934 version and Elizabeth Taylor's performance was much more enjoyable as the lead role, I did feel the length of the film (coming in at 4 hours and 11 minutes) and other than the lavish eye candy, pretty forgettable. I was a little disappointed in it as I had higher hopes going in.

DP, I'm going to try and view THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD tomorrow.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009984
04/18/21 05:43 AM
04/18/21 05:43 AM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss
Viewed the 1963 version of CLEOPATRA and while it was more enjoyable than DeMille's 1934 version and Elizabeth Taylor's performance was much more enjoyable as the lead role, I did feel the length of the film (coming in at 4 hours and 11 minutes) and other than the lavish eye candy, pretty forgettable. I was a little disappointed in it as I had higher hopes going in.

DP, I'm going to try and view THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD tomorrow.

irish my friend
cleopatra 1963 is one the the best movies !
i love it !

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: MeyerLansky] #1010028
04/18/21 04:24 PM
04/18/21 04:24 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
HUD (1963)

Teenaged Lon Bannon (Brandon de Wilde) lives on a Texas cattle ranch with his upright grandfather Homer (Melvyn Douglas) and his ne'er-do-well uncle Hud (Paul Newman). He's caught in the middle of open hatred between Homer and his son Hud--hard-drinking, womanizing, cynical--and, at 17, is pulled between the two lifestyles. Hud is a thoroughly reprehensible character, but Newman leavens him with his patented killer grin and insouciant charm. All three put in fine performances, but the best by far is Patricia Neal as Alma, their kindly but world-weary, been-around-the-block housekeeper. She gets the best lines in an overall intelligent script. The B&W filming, by all-time-great cinematographer James Wong Howe, realistically evokes small-town Texas--you almost feel the dust in your nostrils. Excellent film.

Page 65 of 90 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 89 90

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull