GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Lou_Para, 2 invisible), 111 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,715
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,777
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Evita] #1006966
03/11/21 02:18 AM
03/11/21 02:18 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by Evita
Great analysis Lana Great insight

It is always a pleasure doing Godfather business with you!

I reckon who killed the Tahoe assassins has been answered They shot each other and Fredo must have dragged their bodies into the ditch
Thank you Evita

I'll take it! Likewise you and the Board too

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Lana] #1007018
03/11/21 11:31 PM
03/11/21 11:31 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Lana

Michael pleading the fifth was “what was expected before Michael testified” and what Pentangeli wanted (hoping for)

Didn't they know Michael? Didn't they know that's an impossibility that it could never happen!

Of course they (the subcommittee chairman, Questadt, Roth) knew that Michael would bend over backward not to take the Fifth because the only permissible form of response is: "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that my answer might tend to incriminate me." The beauty part of the plot against him was that, by hiding Pentangeli's survival until after Michael testified, and by having Cicci testify earlier that he never talked to Michael, they made him relax and think he could get away with lying under oath instead of pleading the Fifth.

• Could you expand on your answer, I'm particularly interested in knowing....
What would Pentangeli have done if Tom hadn't visited with his 'helpful push' for Pentangeli to sit in a hot bath, open up his veins and bleed to death

Pentangeli would have known he was not going to be able to continue living better than most people on the outside ie: “what will happen as a result of his denial” having already stated "My life won't be worth a nickle after this," even before he recanted his sworn affidavit having been jolted into honouring the Omertà by the icy stare of his brother Vincenzo

Pentangeli was stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place. If he testified, he'd have had a price on
his head no matter where the FBI placed him. And, the government undoubtedly offered him "immunity to testify"--if he waived his Fifth Amendment privilege and agreed to testify against Michael, he would not be prosecuted for any of the crimes he admitted to while under oath. By repudiating his affidavit, he violated the terms of his agreement. The FBI would have turned him over to NYPD, which would have prosecuted him for the crimes that Tom mentioned to Michael: "possession, Murder One.." He'd be put in the general prison population, where his life expectancy would have been about five minutes.

There's another possibility, too: When he was discussing his "future" with Tom, he talked about the Romans who had a "little party" before they killed themselves..."and their families were taken care of." Some people here think it meant that Frankie's family would be killed if he didn't commit suicide, but if he did, they'd be safe and get some financial support.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Turnbull] #1007074
03/13/21 01:25 AM
03/13/21 01:25 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
I believe Michael “pleading the Fifth” was never an option even if Michael had known about “Pentangeli's survival” before “Michael testified”

Michael & Hagen towards the end of 1
  • What would Michael have done differently? though Nothing!
Michael in reality could never have taken the fifth amendment to the US Constitution

So Michael would still have lied under oath, denied all the charges and committed perjury
ie: It's up to five counts of perjury rap remains unchanged

Michael wanted to show that he has nothing to hide, nothing that would incriminate him
So Michael taking the fifth was never an option

It occurred to me, seems far-fetched....
Michael locates / contacts Vincenzo out of the blue and Vincenzo comes all the way from Sicily to help Michael against Vincenzo's own brother Frankie because Omertà is more important than his own brother's life?

My take is there was never any danger of “Frankie's family would be killed” same as Vincenzo

As Tom said
Frankie, when a plot against the Emperor failed -- the planners were always given a chance to let their families keep their fortunes
ie: “financial support” if the planners killed themselves

As far as Michael is concerned nobody gets a pass Everybody who plotted against Michael must die whether Frankie the good old man who was loyal to Michael's father for years or Fredo, Michael's own 'weak and stupid' brother

“Pentangeli was stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place” indeed
I had forgotten the NYPD and Frankie's "possession, Murder One.." and a lot more!

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Lana] #1007163
03/13/21 10:54 PM
03/13/21 10:54 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss

It occurred to me, seems far-fetched....
Michael locates / contacts Vincenzo out of the blue and Vincenzo comes all the way from Sicily to help Michael against Vincenzo's own brother Frankie because Omertà is more important than his own brother's life?

Why because He's old fashion? Only Michael could get him out, get him away from that two mule town Go figure!

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Turnbull] #1007817
03/19/21 09:36 AM
03/19/21 09:36 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
So, what's your answer gonna be, Turnbull?

Why help Michael against Vincenzo's own brother Frankie

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Capri] #1007893
03/19/21 07:52 PM
03/19/21 07:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Capri
So, what's your answer gonna be, Turnbull?

Why help Michael against Vincenzo's own brother Frankie

The answer, I believe, is when the committee chairman hurriedly adjourns the meeting. Tom turns to Vincenzo and says in Italian, "The honor of the family is secure." This tells me that Michael and Tom convinced Vincenzo to come to America because they told him that Frankie was going to dishonor the family by breaking omerta and testifying for the Law. But, by showing up, Vincenzo would shame Frankie into shutting up. It's also possible that Vincenzo's presence might threaten Frankie by implying that if he dishonored the family, Vincenzo would be obligated to take vengeance against Frankie's family.

Tom told the committee earlier that Vincenzo came to America "at his own expense to help his brother in his time of need." By preventing Frankie from going through with breaking omerta, Vincenzo helped his brother.

Last edited by Turnbull; 03/19/21 11:23 PM.

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Capri] #1007894
03/19/21 07:59 PM
03/19/21 07:59 PM
P
Piano_Player_in_the_Montage Offline
Wiseguy
Piano_Player_in_the_Montage  Offline
P
Wiseguy
I know I'm not the one you asked, but if I can add you two cents : Vincenzo didn't act in order to help Michael. He acted in order to save the family's honor.
Yes, if Frankie snitched, the Pentangeli 's reputation would be irremediably lost.

At the end of the trial, Tom (?? I think??) turns to him and says in Sicilian:" The honor of your family is intact."

That would be important for Vincenzo. Essential enough to leave his two-mule town to set his brother straight and then go back. Not in the States to go sightseeing.

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Turnbull] #1007895
03/19/21 08:00 PM
03/19/21 08:00 PM
P
Piano_Player_in_the_Montage Offline
Wiseguy
Piano_Player_in_the_Montage  Offline
P
Wiseguy
Oops! I didn't see your answer, Turnbull.

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Turnbull] #1008036
03/21/21 12:30 AM
03/21/21 12:30 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Makes sense Wow! rather die than break Omertà

Vincenzo's help to his brother Frankie was “preventing Frankie from going through with breaking Omertà” which benefited Michael nicely! and “Pentangeli reputation” and “honor of the family is secure“

Originally Posted by Turnbull
Tom told the committee earlier that Vincenzo came to America "at his own expense to help his brother in his time of need."

Michael told Kay at Hotel Washington
His [Frankie's] brother came and helped

It was between the brothers Kay I [!] had nothing to do with it

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Turnbull] #1008060
03/21/21 08:54 AM
03/21/21 08:54 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Thanks for the answers

Wow! rather die than break Omertà

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: lucab19] #1013944
06/16/21 06:47 PM
06/16/21 06:47 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Came across this video I found very interesting

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: Irishman12] #1013983
06/17/21 03:11 AM
06/17/21 03:11 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Thanks for posting this, Irishman, I always appreciate serious, detailed analyses of Trilogy plot themes.

In this case, I think the answer is much simpler: Michael knew, almost immediately after the Tahoe attack, that Roth was behind it. Only two people--Pentangeli and Roth--could have benefited from killing Michael. Pentangeli was the obvious one because of his beef over the Rosato brothers and his desire to get Michael off his back. But, he was too obviously set up as the patsy for the shooting. The big prize was Havana, not three territories in the Bronx. As Pentangeli admitted to Michael in NY (and as Michael already knew), "I don't have your head for the big deals." Contrary to what this film says, Michael already knew it was Roth when he met with Pentangeli in NY--he said so to Pentangeli--and before all the play-acting Roth did in Havana. The only outstanding doubt was to find out who was the traitor in his family.

A long time ago I posted that greed blinds otherwise intelligent people to the obvious--and dangerous. Michael's greed for controlling all the legal gambling in Nevada and Havana blinded him to the obvious: Why would Roth sit still for Michael's killing of Roth's best friend, Moe Green? Why would Roth sit back and let Michael barge into Nevada gaming almost as soon as he returned from Sicily, and take over Klingman's holding in a hotel Roth part-owned? Why would Roth--if, as Michael said, thought he'd live forever--turn over all his Havana holdings to Michael? And why, especially, would Roth, who lived in Miami and had business interests in Nevada and Havana, involve himself in a penny-ante dispute over three territories in the Bronx?

Michael didn't see all of this before the Tahoe shooting because greed blinded him to the obvious. The bullets flying in his bedroom opened his eyes.

Re: Roth's plan. Really? [Re: lucab19] #1014022
06/17/21 06:39 PM
06/17/21 06:39 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
I appreciate videos like this too Turnbull. I'm glad you do as well. A little long but worth the watch. One of the reasons I liked Part I more than Part II was the story of II was always a little confusing to me. This cleared up a lot of it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull