GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RushStreet, 2 invisible), 107 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,353
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,215
Posts1,056,176
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Favorite Frankenstein Films #999211
11/04/20 04:07 PM
11/04/20 04:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
I'll start with mine:

1. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) Dir. James Whale. This is the pinnacle of horror, and one of the greatest movies ever made, because it has everything: Bathos, pathos, brilliant direction by the great Whale, Karloff's finest performance as the talking monster, excellent support from Valerie Hobson, Colin Clive, E.E. Clive, Una O'Connor and, of course, Ernest Thesiger, who almost steals the movie as the deliriously immoral Dr. Pretorius. A rich vein of dry humor enlightens the film, as do many unforgettable scenes and a terrific score.

2. Frankenstein (1931) Dir. James Whale. The original firmly established Karloff as the ultra-frightening monster and debuted a great Universal supporting cast--Dwight Fry, E.E. Clive, Colin Clive, all giving their best. Superb Expressionist sets, excellent scripts, brilliant filming. Almost as good as "The Bride."

3. Son of Frankenstein (1939) Dir. Rowland V. Lee. Third and last of the Frank films to star Karloff as the monster. Elegant Basil Rathbone stars as the original Frankenstein's son. getting a chilly reception from villagers as he's enticed by Ygor (Bela Lugosi in a stellar turn) to make his big "friend" well. Donnie Dunagan, as Rathbone's son, adds excitement and drama as the monstor stalks him. Bizarre sets, but a bit on the talky side.

4. Ghost of Frankenstein (1942) Dir. Erle C. Kenton. A host of mostly forgettable Franksploitation films popped up after the original trio. This is the best of the bunch because Universal assembled a fine cast, including Cedric Hartwicke as Ludwig F., Lon Chaney in his debut as the monster, Lionel Atwill, Ralph Bellamy and Lugosi, who dominates this movie as Ygor, scheming to substitute his brain into the monster's body and getting treacherous Atwill to go along. Nice subtheme with a little girl befriending the monster. Not bad at all.

The Hammer Franks didn't do anything for me. Nor did the "House of..." movies that combined Frank, Drac and Wolfie.

Yours?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Favorite Frankenstein Films [Re: Turnbull] #999219
11/04/20 08:33 PM
11/04/20 08:33 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
I've only seen FRANKENSTEIN (1931) and THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935) and I prefer FRANKENSTEIN over BRIDE.

Re: Favorite Frankenstein Films [Re: Turnbull] #999225
11/04/20 10:33 PM
11/04/20 10:33 PM
United States
Paul Pisano Offline
Underboss
Paul Pisano  Offline
Underboss
United States
bride of frankenstein because we hear the monster talk.

http://kingfish4400.webstore.com/

blu-ray/dvd/vhs/more. 1449 + titles. PRICE DROP ON ALL TITLES + 30 percent off all titles, free shipping, one bus day handling time, and guest checkout available- membership not required to make a purchase. 52 SALES to date. verified seller. BATMAN52 IS THE CODE THAT MUST BE ENTERED AT CHECKOUT TO GET THE DISCOUNT.

Re: Favorite Frankenstein Films [Re: Turnbull] #999718
11/14/20 01:40 PM
11/14/20 01:40 PM
J
Jim505 Offline
Wiseguy
Jim505  Offline
J
Wiseguy
Great list Turnbull. Going to order Son of Frankenstein.

Re: Favorite Frankenstein Films [Re: Turnbull] #1002842
01/06/21 04:00 PM
01/06/21 04:00 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Ah, now we're in Vitelli Territory (where you'll be safe wink ).

I'll have to give this one a bit of thought, but on the subject of Bride of Frankenstein, I remember reading an interview with Boris Karloff years ago in which he said he didn't like the idea of the Monster speaking at all. "The speech...stupid!" opined Karloff. He said that at that point the Monster should either "take the mick or play it straight." He said that some of the Monster's appeal was that he was "this great, lumbering, inarticulate" creature.

(Note: "Taking the mick/mickey" is an expression - primarily used in the UK - meaning to poke fun at someone or something.)

However, Karloff may have also had a faulty memory - his recollection of why the scene where the Monster tosses little Maria into the lake (in the original 1931 Frankenstein) was wrong: Karloff claimed that he wanted to gently toss the girl into the water as if she was a flower, but that director James Whale had him pick her up over his head (here he made a violent motion with both hands) and hurl her. As I recall, Karloff claimed that since they couldn't come to an agreement, they agreed to cut the scene. Well, now that the film has been restored we know that Karloff did, in fact, gently toss the girl into the water and not violently throw her in.

I believe the interview was in an early '60s issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine (possibly "Meal With a Monster") of maybe Castle of Frankenstein. My collection is in storage so I can't access it, but I have a good memory for this stuff.

As I said, I'll have to give this a bit more thought, but I have a soft spot for the 1910 Thomas Edison version. blush Charles Ogle rules!

There are a lot of poor copies on the Net; this was the best one I found. The quality is actually quite good!

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favorite Frankenstein Films [Re: Signor Vitelli] #1002844
01/06/21 05:56 PM
01/06/21 05:56 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
thanks, that is really pretty good!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Favorite Frankenstein Films [Re: Turnbull] #1003534
01/21/21 07:37 PM
01/21/21 07:37 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
What, nobody's mentioned Frankenhooker? whistle

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favorite Frankenstein Films [Re: Signor Vitelli] #1003628
01/24/21 03:45 AM
01/24/21 03:45 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by Signor Vitelli
What, nobody's mentioned Frankenhooker? whistle

Signor V.

What..Signor??..U think were all stupid???LOL...Frankenhooker stars the 1 & only wife of Mr. Bob Guccione , & Pet of year Patti Mullen.....whistle ...I know my back in the day pets & playmates..any questions?

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull